ADVERTISEMENT

As for Deebo sitting out the bowl game...

Mar 12, 2016
There are things I don’t like about this. Honestly, I’m not sure we can win without him. Also, I was raised to finish everything you start, including sports seasons. And I would think this lets down his teammates.
But I like Deebo, I appreciate all that he’s done for our program. And I’ve never had anything bad to say about him at all.
So I guess where I stand is here : I hate it for us, BUT I respect his right to do what he thinks is in his best interests. And I won’t hold a grudge over it.
Best wishes to him for a successful NFL career.

There are things I don’t like about this. Honestly, I’m not sure we can win without him. Also, I was raised to finish everything you start, including sports seasons. And I would think this lets down his teammates.
But I like Deebo, I appreciate all that he’s done for our program. And I’ve never had anything bad to say about him at all.
So I guess where I stand is here : I hate it for us, BUT I respect his right to do what he thinks is in his best interests. And I won’t hold a grudge over it.

I was raised the same way and lived by that motto until I realized life doesn't care about how I was raised and if I am stubborn towards Tradition then that can be harmful for myself and others. We all have to make adjustments and decisions for ourselves and families regardless of wether others want us to or not. If you ever have quit a job then you have done what Deebo is doing. It's not necessarily bad, just you have to do what's best for yourself and future. With this being said, I do believe there is a wrong way to go about leaving the team but in this circumstance, I don't blame Deebo one bit.

I was raised the same way and lived by that motto until I realized life doesn't care about how I was raised and if I am stubborn towards Tradition then that can be harmful for myself and others. We all have to make adjustments and decisions for ourselves and families regardless of wether others want us to or not. If you ever have quit a job then you have done what Deebo is doing. It's not necessarily bad, just you have to do what's best for yourself and future. With this being said, I do believe there is a wrong way to go about leaving the team but in this circumstance, I don't blame Deebo one bit.
I concur

Reactions: SumterGamecockGuy
He just saw Zach Bailey go down. It’s fresh in his mind.
After Lattimore I changed my mind about these kids. They have ONE body. And their skills will allow them to make more money in the NFL than they would in 20 years of working a normal job.
Basically do whatever they think is best for them. Thanks for the memories Deebo!

Is this considered quitting like a lot of people say about Spurrier?
You can say quitting is quitting and that's the end of it but I think each situation is different and in no way is a guy sitting out a game to protect himself is equivalent to what happens when a coach has started to dial it in. He's done nothing but bust his rear ever since he has been here.
Spurrier clearly took his foot off the gas and while the car kept moving it was losing speed and this seemed to have went on for a while.
Apples and oranges to me.

Reactions: gamecockblack
Sure, I’m with you. I’m mostly of the same opinion as you are. It’s not necessarily what I would do, but I do appreciate and respect him. I wish him well.

Reactions: Judson1
You can say quitting is quitting and that's the end of it but I think each situation is different and in no way is a guy sitting out a game to protect himself is equivalent to what happens when a coach has started to dial it in. He's done nothing but bust his rear ever since he has been here.
Spurrier clearly took his foot off the gas and while the car kept moving it was losing speed and this seemed to have went on for a while.
Apples and oranges to me.
I am on the side quitting is quitting. However, each person has to make his own decision and live with it. I hope the best for him.

Regarding Spurrier, I don't even blame him. I've been in a position early in my career where I gave it 110% for a long time but then just didn't have it in me to continue in that position. For whatever reason my heart wasn't in it anymore and I had other issues pulling me away. So what is the best for the team and organization? Staying and giving someone a shadow of yourself which can be very harmful for them or handing it off to someone else who can lead them in ways you can't and also giving that young coach/manager an opportunity. Spurrier didn't need to prove anything to anyone. He had stayed with us for 10 years. If he would have come in and left 2 years in, then that's another story. But if you ain't got anymore, give it up and give it up now. You are actually doing a good thing and giving others opportunities.

Last edited:
Selfishly, I wish he was playing but 1) he has gone above and beyond to help the team in his time here 2) he's going to be gone next year anyway, time for someone else to step up.

Selfishly, I wish he was playing but 1) he has gone above and beyond to help the team in his time here 2) he's going to be gone next year anyway, time for someone else to step up.
Agree 100%. This is why you have to get creative and find ways to get backups some playing time. What if Bentley does same thing next year?

Reactions: Jpcooper
He just saw Zach Bailey go down. It’s fresh in his mind.
After Lattimore I changed my mind about these kids. They have ONE body. And their skills will allow them to make more money in the NFL than they would in 20 years of working a normal job.
Basically do whatever they think is best for them. Thanks for the memories Deebo!
amen

Things have changed a lot just in the last few years. For instance Clowney, the consensus #1 pick, played in our New Years 2014 bowl. By 2016, a few guys sat out. Since then quite a few have skipped the bowl game. Once the lid was lifted by a few, it was easier for more to do the same. It won't be long before a majority of players projected to go in the first two rounds choose to skip. I'm not crazy about the trend, but I can understand it. Times change.

Reactions: Judson1
Anyone thinking he should’ve stayed to finish what he committed to ever quit a job, to take another, for a pay increase???

Last edited:
Reactions: ddw1263
A completely meaningless bowl game? He's making a good call. Continue to develop our receivers of the future.

I was raised you take care of your family and support them. He’s been injured so much and also came back for his senior year. It’s the Belk Bowl not the CFP. Best wishes to him and think he’s making the best decision for his future and his familie. I could whine about it but I’m not responsible for paying his mortgages.

I'm not faced with the decision he has to make, so I might feel different if I was. I think if you are a competitor, then compete.

I appreciate what he’s done in the garnet and black but damn! I bought tickets and will spend about $250 after food and travel. I wanted to see our best group on the field for that money. I feel somewhat duped.

Oh good grief. Deebo doesn’t owe you anything. Get over it.

I was raised you take care of your family and support them. He’s been injured so much and also came back for his senior year. It’s the Belk Bowl not the CFP. Best wishes to him and think he’s making the best decision for his future and his familie. I could whine about it but I’m not responsible for paying his mortgages.
Sure, i agree with you about this.

Reactions: lowcountry_cock13
I just think there should be a loyalty factor. Yes he’s done great things at SC however, SC gave him an education and prepared him for the pros. He should play.

Maybe he’ll get a 2nd contract, make millions, and give back to his university.

You go to college to increase or maximize your future earnings potential. Period. Deebo has reached that.

If we were in the playoffs, I might feel differently.

No way he sits if in the playoff. Can’t imagine we’ll ever see that.

Y'all good if Bentley and Edwards do the same?

It’s a real possibility next season. Kinlaw added to that group. What makes Deebo’s situation more unique is that for a chunk of each of the past 3 seasons he’s been hurt. Risking injury is the one factor that makes me understand the decision though I maintain I don’t like this trend. But I’ll defend Deebo on this one.

I’d be terribly disappointed in Jake unless he was playing hurt and needed to heal up or something along those lines. Same for Edwards. I’d still understand to a certain extent, but the past injury factor isn’t there as of now. Obviously there is always a risk of injury though. I’d be heartbroken for anyone that does suffer a serious injury for playing. And I’d wish they had made the other decision. Easy to sit here and criticize and second guess until something does happen or it is your decision to make.

He should have never come back....

Quitting on the team and fans...

Response hasn’t absolutely nothing to do with my previous post. It’s as if you have no response so you just state your stubborn pathetic opinion. Boo hoo ... you are such a douche. You really are pathetic.

You should not come back and quit on all of us on here.

Reactions: wob
It’s a real possibility next season. Kinlaw added to that group. What makes Deebo’s situation more unique is that for a chunk of each of the past 3 seasons he’s been hurt. Risking injury is the one factor that makes me understand the decision though I maintain I don’t like this trend. But I’ll defend Deebo on this one.

I’d be terribly disappointed in Jake unless he was playing hurt and needed to heal up or something along those lines. Same for Edwards. I’d still understand to a certain extent, but the past injury factor isn’t there as of now. Obviously there is always a risk of injury though. I’d be heartbroken for anyone that does suffer a serious injury for playing. And I’d wish they had made the other decision. Easy to sit here and criticize and second guess until something does happen or it is your decision to make.

Don’t top players have insurance policies Incase of injury? Think I recall hearing that?

Boo hoo ... you are such a douche. You really are pathetic.

You should not come back and quit on all of us on here.

Thank you

Carolina fans always love a quitter....

Let's go ahead and quit the 2019 season, seeing how we have players getting ready for the NFL...

Last edited:
Don’t top players have insurance policies Incase of injury? Think I recall hearing that?

Yeah they can get one. But the amount is nowhere near the potential earnings of a good NFL career. I think Lattimore got $2 million which is nice. He would’ve made more than that in 1 season at some point in his career.

Mixed feelings here. The reality is- at the end of the day (for the elite players who have the chance to play at the next level)- college football is simply their platform to achieve that end. It’s bothers me that the best player on our team will not be in the battle against UVA, but I do understand it and I can accept it. Easy for anyone NOT in Deebo’s shoes to say what they would or would not do. But, at the end of the day, who really knows? Millions of dollars are potentially at stake here. It’s a business decision, plain and simple. But, it still stings that he won’t be playing.

Thank you

Carolina fans alway love a quitter....

Let's go ahead and quit the 2019 season, seeing how we have players getting ready for the NFL...

You are in a league of your own when it comes to douchebaggery. I’m glad I don’t know you in real life. You must be a real ball of joy to be around.

It’s funny how worked up you are over a 21 year old kid choosing to go earn a living.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT