ADVERTISEMENT

As well as Champ is recruiting

We have 6 spots remaining and most of our remaining targets are 4 stars, with 1 5 star still on the board. This class is going to finish very strong. Stay tuned.

I'm not sure where you think these players are coming from?

Steele sounds like a UF commit. We aren't flipping the other two UF guys. Gray is projected to Tennessee. Sorrells appears to be a non-qualifier. Moore is going to Penn State. Jamario isn't coming back on the board. Crouch will play linebacker at Clemson. Shilo Sanders will go to FSU (he's a project anyway).

What we're looking at is
--Jammie Robinson: Rivals 4 star, consensus 3 star safety
--John Dixon: Rivals 4 star, consensus 3 star CB
--Xavier Legette: Rivals 3 star, consensus 3 star WR

I don't see anyone else on our board that's likely, interested or a take.

From what I understood, our problem with him is that we were recruiting him as a RB (which is where he is highly rated), but he wants to play LB in college. Other schools are saying he can play LB....not sure our coaches like him at LB, though not sure their's really do either. Beginning to sound a lot like the reverse-Joyner situation for us.
Sad thing is we need all the help we can get at LB.

Steele sounds like a UF commit. We aren't flipping the other two UF guys. Gray is projected to Tennessee. Sorrells appears to be a non-qualifier. Moore is going to Penn State. Jamario isn't coming back on the board. Crouch will play linebacker at Clemson. Shilo Sanders will go to FSU (he's a project anyway).

What we're looking at is

This is just not accurate according to insiders on this site. I'm not going to pass along information from TIF, but there are several other players on the board to keep an eye on. I don't know where you're getting your projections, but some of what you listed doesn't match what is being reported on this site.

What we're looking at is

Those all look like good players. But don't we need linebackers and another running back in this class?

This is just not accurate according to insiders on this site. I'm not going to pass along information from TIF, but there are several other players on the board to keep an eye on. I don't know where you're getting your projections, but some of what you listed doesn't match what is being reported on this site.
We hear about players flipping ever year. And they do. From us to other teams.

Reactions: uscnoklahoma2

Are these the same insiders that said XT was a lock to USC last year ??

time to finish strong. I am pleased we have 3 in the top 100 and are still in the mix for 2 more in that top tier (Steele, Crouch). Barely 2 weeks !!!!!!!

Coffee is for Closers, lets close

ps I want Eric Crouch

Hasn't Eric Crouch already used up all his eligibility? If not, I would be concerned about how the team would react to having a 40 year old on the team. Quavaris Crouch would be a much better option. ;)

We hear about players flipping ever year. And they do. From us to other teams.

Dylan Wonnum
Rosendo Louis
Kiel Pollard
Griffin Gentry
Have all flipped from other programs to USC since Muschamp arrived here. 3 of those 4 were solid contributors this season. I would not be surprised if our staff pulled a few flips next week, as we're in really good position with several players who committed elsewhere months ago, but continued to take visits from our staff.

Muschamp's most famous flip was selected number 3 overall in the 2015 NFL draft, DE Dante Fowler.

Reactions: rogue cock
Hasn't Eric Crouch already used up all his eligibility? If not, I would be concerned about how the team would react to having a 40 year old on the team. Quavaris Crouch would be a much better option. ;)

You’re probably right but it’s sounding like we may have a better chance at Eric over Quavaris

Reactions: cornstock84
You’re probably right but it’s sounding like we may have a better chance at Eric over Quavaris
I thought we were out of the Crouch race month's ago. We seemed to want him as a RB and other's are giving in to allow him to play LB. Has he ever been rated as a LB?

Reminds me of Culliver. Rated 4 star as a DB, them 5 star as a WR. We get him because he wanted to play WR. Other programs were right, he was a DB.

Reactions: funktavious
While it's certainly fun to overanalyze all of the recruiting rankings this time of year when there's no football, let's not put too much emphasis on them. That's not to say that they don't matter—teams ranked highly in recruiting almost are almost always the most successful. But I honestly don't think that the difference between having a class ranked just outside the top 10 is much different than having a class ranked around 20th.

That may sound illogical, but the distribution of class rankings tends to follow a normal distribution. That means that there will typically be a small handful of teams that recruit at the highest level with a large number of teams that are all recruiting at a very similar level ranked in the 2nd tier. Ergo, those teams that are ranked between say 10th and 25th tend to be pretty close overall. It only takes 1 or 2 highly rated players to underperform or 1-2 3 stars to play above their level to make a 25th ranked class just as impactful as a 10th ranked class.

While it's certainly fun to overanalyze all of the recruiting rankings this time of year when there's no football, let's not put too much emphasis on them. That's not to say that they don't matter—teams ranked highly in recruiting almost are almost always the most successful. But I honestly don't think that the difference between having a class ranked just outside the top 10 is much different than having a class ranked around 20th.

That may sound illogical, but the distribution of class rankings tends to follow a normal distribution. That means that there will typically be a small handful of teams that recruit at the highest level with a large number of teams that are all recruiting at a very similar level ranked in the 2nd tier. Ergo, those teams that are ranked between say 10th and 25th tend to be pretty close overall. It only takes 1 or 2 highly rated players to underperform or 1-2 3 stars to play above their level to make a 25th ranked class just as impactful as a 10th ranked class.
Completely agree. And if you actually look at the break down of the classes and how close the players rank to each other, it proves your statement.

I'm not here to debate the merits of what insider information is more viable. You said our remaining targets were 4 and 5 stars. I don't see any consensus 4 stars who are likely to select South Carolina at this point, let alone 5 stars. I see guys we likely told to wait in Robinson and Dixon. And then we're going to have to see what's around after the first signing period.

I think we swung and missed at some big targets and now have to back fill. Fair enough, but Champ's reputation as an elite recruiter begs some questions.

What we're looking at is

Jakai Moore? Most on here would complain about him as he is only a consensus 3 star.

The predictions for him are slightly in PSUs favor....by no means a lock and I like the fact that Wolford is recruiting him.

I'm not here to debate the merits of what insider information is more viable. You said our remaining targets were 4 and 5 stars. I don't see any consensus 4 stars who are "likely" to select South Carolina at this point, let alone 5 stars. I see guys we likely told to wait in Robinson and Dixon. And then we're going to have to see what's around after the first signing period.

I think we swung and missed at some big targets and now have to back fill. Fair enough, but Champ's reputation as an elite recruiter begs some questions.

I disagree with this statement. It's not really possible to project some of these players as likely, or unlikely, based on anything other than opinion/or simply a guess. Our staff is actively recruiting all of the players below. I'm not predicting which players will or will not sign with us, but there are still reasons to believe we are in it with all of them.

5 star CB Chris Steele
4 star RB Eric Gray
4 star LB Tyrone Hopper
4 star DB Jammie Robinson
4 star Athlete Jashawn Sheffield
4 star CB Johnny Dixon
4 star DT Jaquaze Sorrells
3 star OL Jakai Moore
3 star CB Jaydon Hill
3 star OL Darius Washington
3 star Athlete Xavier Leggette

Dylan Wonnum
Rosendo Louis
Kiel Pollard
Griffin Gentry
Have all flipped from other programs to USC since Muschamp arrived here. 3 of those 4 were solid contributors this season. I would not be surprised if our staff pulled a few flips next week, as we're in really good position with several players who committed elsewhere months ago, but continued to take visits from our staff.

Muschamp's most famous flip was selected number 3 overall in the 2015 NFL draft, DE Dante Fowler.
We didn't flip Dylan Wonnum as far as I can remember. Gentry switched to us from Troy.

Yes. Louis and Pollard are/ will be contributors. But on balance, we also lose a couple every year. The point stands - Flipper's reputation for getting players to switch ain't what used to be.

We didn't flip Dylan Wonnum as far as I can remember. Gentry switched to us from Troy.

Yes. Louis and Pollard are/ will be contributors. But on balance, we also lose a couple every year. The point stands - Flipper's reputation for getting players to switch ain't what used to be.

Not to mention Riley Ridley flipped from us to UGA and he’s a stud .

This is great logic. I would say that the Top 8-10 talent is where the elite classes are and after that it's pretty even. Until 30 or so.

I thought we were out of the Crouch race month's ago. We seemed to want him as a RB and other's are giving in to allow him to play LB. Has he ever been rated as a LB?

Reminds me of Culliver. Rated 4 star as a DB, them 5 star as a WR. We get him because he wanted to play WR. Other programs were right, he was a DB.

Yep, we are not in it with Crouch, will probably be a Tater, and somehow the Voltards have stuck in there to, telling him this is their Peyton Manning Class that will turn around the program

It's insane how well The Chad and Arkansas are recruiting!

Well, Chad has coached at the 2 schools who have been guilty of the most agregious cheating scandals in NCAA history. SMU got the death penalty because they were caught after Clemson, who is responsible for the creation of the death penalty by the NCAA in the first place. Sure, that was a long time ago, but there are still boosters, trustees and administration folks still around from those days. These people understand how the NCAA’s role in college sports has changed, and they operate with no fear of what the NCAA could or will do. So, Chad has surely learned the ropes from some of the nastiest people involved in college sports. It doesn't surprise me that AR is recruiting so well.

Reactions: A_F_Deerhunter
I disagree with this statement. It's not really possible to project some of these players as likely, or unlikely, based on anything other than opinion/or simply a guess. Our staff is actively recruiting all of the players below. I'm not predicting which players will or will not sign with us, but there are still reasons to believe we are in it with all of them.

5 star CB Chris Steele
4 star RB Eric Gray
4 star LB Tyrone Hopper
4 star DB Jammie Robinson
4 star Athlete Jashawn Sheffield
4 star CB Johnny Dixon
4 star DT Jaquaze Sorrells
3 star OL Jakai Moore
3 star CB Jaydon Hill
3 star OL Darius Washington
3 star Athlete Xavier Leggette

That's great that we're still recruiting them. My point jumping into this was I'm worried that we're not going to hit on most of those guys based on how things are trending-- missing on adding players to position groups where depth and talent are thin. Muschamp seems to be walking a tightrope here, jumping in late on Gray and trying to flip Hopper, Sheffield, Hill and Washington. Steele is an incredible long shot. He's trying to get a Virginia kid away from Penn State. Sorrells is a qualification issue.

Leaves us with the three guys I said were likely to start with.

New rivals update.
Kenion and Fitten both lose their 4 star status. Moved down to high 3 star..5.7
In a couple of months we had 9 4 or 5 stars now just 6.

Why did they lose star ranking? Sounds fishy to me. This is a trick the Clemsons and Bamas of college football use. Spurrier used to comment how our recruits were 4-5 stars until they signed with us, and when recruits signed with Bama, they went from 3-4 stars to 4-5 stars.

Why did they lose star ranking? Sounds fishy to me. This is a trick the Clemsons and Bamas of college football use. Spurrier used to comment how our recruits were 4-5 stars until they signed with us, and when recruits signed with Bama, they went from 3-4 stars to 4-5 stars.

Are you suggesting that there is a giant conspiracy among the recruiting services to automatically rate Bama and Clemson's players higher and rate Gamecock players lower? I won't believe it until Qanon posts something confirming it.

Reactions: Cockadoodle4
Are you suggesting that there is a giant conspiracy among the recruiting services to automatically rate Bama and Clemson's players higher and rate Gamecock players lower? I won't believe it until Qanon posts something confirming it.

Russians

Not to mention Riley Ridley flipped from us to UGA and he’s a stud .

Ridley commited to USC one day and flipped the nex. CWM and Smart both got played. Ridley baited Smart into coming to the table with the offer he wanted when he committed to us. Smart acquiesced and gave it to him. So he flipped from one day to the next. It had to be embarrassing for CWM ... less embarrassing for Smart since he got what he wanted, but still ... I’m not sure I would have allowed Ridley to manipulate me that way. That sends a bad message that recruits can do that, and get away with it.

Last edited:
Ridley commited to USC. One day and flipped the next day. CWM and Smart both got played. Ridley baited Smart into coming to the table when he committed to us. Smart acquiesced and gave Ridley what he wanted. Then he flipped the next day.
I remember that....he was waiting on an offer from UGA. Then they lost out on one they thought they were getting and offered Ridley.

Ridley commited to USC. One day and flipped the next day. CWM and Smart both got played. Ridley baited Smart into coming to the table when he committed to us. Smart acquiesced and gave Ridley what he wanted. Then he flipped the next day.

That kid is a talent. Not sure if he is as good as Calvin but still has great potential.

Reactions: GADAWGinIraq
Dylan Wonnum
Rosendo Louis
Kiel Pollard
Griffin Gentry

Well I guess that is bad news for folks looking to bad mouth everything about our program.

From what I understood, our problem with him is that we were recruiting him as a RB (which is where he is highly rated), but he wants to play LB in college. Other schools are saying he can play LB....not sure our coaches like him at LB, though not sure their's really do either. Beginning to sound a lot like the reverse-Joyner situation for us.
He has very little time at LB so his knowledge of Def is limited. I read some comments of his earlier this year where he feels like his best bet to make it in the NFL is by playing LB. Someone has told him he would be a questionable RB in NFL. From what I understand he has started lifting to bulk up to fill the LB role so he has lost that quick step you need to be an elite RB. Obviously he can run over kids in HS but that won't work in College or NFL. Not sure if it's his HS coach which he is very close with that got in his ear or where but I think he is up to like 240lbs.

Sounds like it's down to Michigan or Clemson.

Reactions: rogue cock
I heard from my buddy who is pretty well connected that the Memphis recruit is going to be questionable for qualifying. When he told me that last weekend I assumed it was Mullins but I wonder if it's Gray he was referring too? I didn't pay much attention to name because the conversation started off about Holley and then he mentioned Memphis recruit.

Anyone heard this about Mullins or Gray?

So, Wonnum didn't flip. Gentry was a 2* guy we flipped from Troy. Pollard is backup that is the only contributor to date. So, sorry, I'm underwhelmed with Flipper's legendary skill at, you know, flipping big recruits.
I would add if I remember correctly that Louis didn’t flip either. He decommited from FSU during the coaching turmoil down there when Jimbo left and they hired Taggert. He later signed with South Carolina but I wouldn’t call that a flip. But, I could be wrong.

I would add if I remember correctly that Louis didn’t flip either. He decommited from FSU during the coaching turmoil down there when Jimbo left and they hired Taggert. He later signed with South Carolina but I wouldn’t call that a flip. But, I could be wrong.

One of FSU ‘s starting DB’s flipped from us to them a few ago too . Can’t remember the name but he was a high 4 Star .

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT