ADVERTISEMENT

Assuming one/both Bobby and McClendon

Poultry King

Sep 15, 2008
Assume OC or some OC tandem next year.

What do you expect to see and how does it make us better?

I’m not being argumentative here. I went to Byrnes w Bobby. I watched his SCHEME during Byrnes hay days. I liked that scheme.

Do you expect a slight tweaking of Ropers scheme?

Do you expect something more similar to the Byrnes/Baylor scheme?

I don’t think anything MAJOR changes by bowl game. Maybe a few wrinkles or quicker tempo but no Earth shattering changes.

Not sure the decision is that easy. I like Bentley and think he would do well at any level. But not sure Muschamp can take the chance. His next OC hire is the most important of his career. If he doesn't finally find a guy to get his offense fixed, he won't have a shot at a decent HC job again.

Reactions: mbsurfside
Not sure the decision is that easy. I like Bentley and think he would do well at any level. But not sure Muschamp can take the chance. His next OC hire is the most important of his career. If he doesn't finally find a guy to get his offense fixed, he won't have a shot at a decent HC job again.
Understand. I’m asking IF IT IS THEM, what do u expect them to change and how will it help?

Funny! Lots of definite opinions that we SHOULD HIRE one or both of these two for OC....SHOULD NOT HIRE one or both of these two.

Yet no opinions on what you really expect to see. Beating Mich does not mean they are the right fit; nor does losing make them failures.

What do you expect scheme wise from them IN 2018 that makes you be pro or con?

I fully expect more creativity, more tempo, and more plays designed to get the ball to our playmakers in one on one situations. I think we’ll attack the perimeter more and give our guys an opportunity to beat 1 guy for a big gain. Our staff needs to do a much better job game planning during the week and finding the weakness in our opponent, then exposing that weakness. At times this season it seemed Roper was hellbent on trying to force his offense despite the results. I want an OC that identifies the defenses weaknesses, then exploits them.

I fully expect more creativity, more tempo, and more plays designed to get the ball to our playmakers in one on one situations. I think we’ll attack the perimeter more and give our guys an opportunity to beat 1 guy for a big gain. Our staff needs to do a much better job game planning during the week and finding the weakness in our opponent, then exposing that weakness. At times this season it seemed Roper was hellbent on trying to force his offense despite the results. I want an OC that identifies the defenses weaknesses, then exploits them.
Sounds like you want a Baylor scheme.
Do you believe these two would move that direction?

Reactions: BigTomE
Understand. I’m asking IF IT IS THEM, what do u expect them to change and how will it help?

Hopefully recruiting will bring a change, and an upgrade, in talent. Without better personnel it really doesn't matter the scheme, play calling, etc.

Reactions: rogue cock
I think they would wad up Roper's system, throw it in the trash and urinate on it. Then, any new system they install would be more creative, and I would expect it to focus more on ball control with the passing game than an all-out air attack.

Reactions: DrMickey

I’m not being argumentative here. I went to Byrnes w Bobby. I watched his SCHEME during Byrnes hay days. I liked that scheme.

I don’t think anything MAJOR changes by bowl game. Maybe a few wrinkles or quicker tempo but no Earth shattering changes.

I expect a proven OC And who ever that is needs to be able to sit Jake when needed and I don’t think daddy could do that

Reactions: jbouton
I would HOPE for the best but not EXPECT much.

Neither is a proven OC at this level.

Neither has any tape of their offense or play calling at the college level..

No way to really speculate about specifics... but after being a Gamecock fan for so long I just assume that no matter who we hire, who our OC is or how much talent we return... WE WILL FIND A WAY TO SCREW IT UP! They will run a scheme that doesnt fit the takent or there will be an injury to that ONE GUY we cannot afford to lose or the skill talent will be great but the OL will suck... So THAT is what I expect- more sub-mediocrity from the offense despite returning a really talented QB, one of the best receiving cores we have ever had and the deepest stable of RBs I can wber remember not to mention second year of Wolford’s scheme with a bunch of returning OL experience... We will still not be consistent or explossive on offense abd scratch and claw to beat teams that GOOD teams destroy...

Reactions: jonesz21
Player development is also vitally important. Play calling stands out because it's been so bad, but I'm sure play calling was same on defense this year as last year. Difference is that the players actually developed. All I see is Bentley overshooting his target all year. We need an OC that can play call and teach

This is the key. I couldn't agree more. This is why I think an outside hire is made barring some offensive explosion against Michigan (which is unlikely). It's too much of risk to turn it over to an unproven OC. Muschamp could still keep BMAC as co-coordinator though even with the new hire so that if the next guy lights our offense on fire, he can then let BMAC have it if that guy gets a HC job somewhere else.

Hopefully recruiting will bring a change, and an upgrade, in talent. Without better personnel it really doesn't matter the scheme, play calling, etc.
Not true
USC routinely out recruits Mich st and Wisc and Baylor.
Baylor was kicking people’s butts w a bunch of 3* kids and a scheme.
Byrnes did too. We beat MANY TEAMS we had no business beating on paper.
Talent helps. But scheme is the equalizer. If u can’t out man. U gotta out scheme.

I do t say this advocate for Bobby. But that Baylor style scheme forces a D to spread sideline to sideline and end zone to end zone. U wanna put 6-7 in the box we pass. U wanna play 2 deep Safety we run 5 blocking 5. It was a safe high % passing game. Ball control but took a fair bit of calculated deep shots. Gotta spread more talented Ds out and make em pick a poison.

Last edited:
Reactions: Brace1
If b Bentley is the best we can get we may as well quit now we will never compete with Clemson.

Not true
USC routinely out recruits Mich st and Wisc and Baylor.
Baylor was kicking people’s butts w a bunch of 3* kids and a scheme.
Byrnes did too. We beat MANY TEAMS we had no business beating on paper.
Talent helps. But scheme is the equalizer. If u can’t out man. U gotta out scheme.

I do t say this advocate for Bobby. But that Baylor style scheme forces a D to spread sideline to sideline and end zone to end zone. U wanna put 6-7 in the box we pass. U wanna play 2 deep Safety we run 5 blocking 5. It was a safe high % passing game. Ball control but took a fair bit of calculated deep shots. Gotta spread more talented Ds out and make em pick a poison.
Big 12 Defenses vs SEC Defenses. If you can’t consistently run in the SEC you won’t have a ton of luck and 3 star lineman throughout won’t do it.

Big 12 Defenses vs SEC Defenses. If you can’t consistently run in the SEC you won’t have a ton of luck and 3 star lineman throughout won’t do it.
Baylor ran the ball. But they did it by not ramming their head into the wall. Better Ds is all the more reason to spread em out. We have NEVER consistently had OLs that can butt heads w the current tater, UGA, Bama , DL. We must engineer running space into scheme. Moving these guys off the ball is NOT an option

Talk about the two I. The Big 10 we out recruit.

I’m not being argumentative here. I went to Byrnes w Bobby. I watched his SCHEME during Byrnes hay days (sic). I liked that scheme.

heyday?

might be time to ease up on the poultry there, king

go cocks!

Sounds like you want a Baylor scheme.
Do you believe these two would move that direction?

I love that Baylor scheme. Mike Leachesque. 2 years ago Baylor had no q.b for their bowl game against unc and spread them out and wildcatted (i made that up) to death.

what more do we need? We had arguably the best TE in the country, three 4* receivers, an upperclassman OL that provided plenty of protection on passing downs (aTm being the exception).

I guess you're referring to RB and QB upgrades?

This is the key. I couldn't agree more. This is why I think an outside hire is made barring some offensive explosion against Michigan (which is unlikely). It's too much of risk to turn it over to an unproven OC. Muschamp could still keep BMAC as co-coordinator though even with the new hire so that if the next guy lights our offense on fire, he can then let BMAC have it if that guy gets a HC job somewhere else.
Didn't Muschamp say "promoting from within is 'ideal'"?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT