ADVERTISEMENT

Assuming we did have a football head coaching vacancy....

Has it though? Look who they are playing. It only takes someone half competent in that league.

I agree he would never win the SEC for you, but he would beat the weaker teams like Mississippi State, Kentucky, Missouri, South Florida, Virginia and even Appalachian State that seem to plague Muschamp and Mack would cause SC to come in a consistent third or so in your half of the SEC.

I agree he would never win the SEC for you, but he would beat the weaker teams like Mississippi State, Kentucky, Missouri, South Florida, Virginia and even Appalachian State that seem to plague Muschamp and Mack would cause SC to come in a consistent third or so in your half of the SEC.

That is what Holtz did for us. He consistently got nailed by UT, Florida and Clemson but somehow was really good at the lower end teams in the SEC and our cup cakes.

I don't think a razzle dazzle cheerleader coach like Fleck will go over too well in the NFL. But I'd sure like to give him a try here. The way to get him here would be to hire his AD - Coyles is his name I think.
lmao....You either have Fleck confused with someone, or are guessing on what type of coach you think he is, and how he operates.
Yes...He's very upbeat, positive, uber-demanding and engaged in his players' lives. He isn't a cheerleader. We have a cheerleader coaching the team right now.

Reactions: SOSUSC
The issue now is that we are in financial situation where we would not be able to pay top dollar for a coach. Got to go after the young up and comer.

If we have an opening (hopefully Muschamp will hit it out of the park this season to make that question moot), we need a young (45 years-old or younger coach with a winning track record as a college Head Coach). He needs to have demonstrated good recruiting against programs with similar resources that he has at his current school. He needs to be offensive-minded in this era of college football in which offense wins championships. By the way, option-type offenses that the military academies run, would not be the way to go. You can't recruit the type of athlete needed to compete in the SEC with that type of offense. Also, it would be good if that coach has been successful against his current school's rival.

There are two coaches on that list who fit that criteria:
1. Josh Heupel
2. Billy Napier.

Those two would be the top guys on my list, in that order. BUT, I'm pulling for Will Muschamp this year to make that speculation irrelevant.
Tell that to 68 year old Mack Brown By the way, Sparky Woods was also a young coach

Reactions: DeBoer31
Sorry if anyone has talked about this but has anyone considered Joe Brady, former co-offensive coordinator for LSU and now the offensive coordinator for the Panthers? He’s young but by all accounts has a great offensive mind, players love him. He might be worth rolling the dice on...thoughts?

Reactions: abbas tripudium
I agree that no one will be fired this year. It will be after the 2021 season before SC will make a change and it might be after the 2022 season just so we will have 2 years in the black to make up for 2020.

But, having said that, these are my favorites:

PJ Fleck
Josh Heupel
Billy Napier
Shawn Elliott
Neal Brown
Mike Houston
Will Healy

Shawn Elliott and Will Healy are the two most interesting guys on the list. Will Healy is young but only has experience at smaller schools. Could he handle a high profile job?

Shawn Elliott has big school experience and has done okay at Georgia State. He has not had a signature win yet. He did take Billy Napier's squad to OT last week but lost by a FG.

Mike Houston was the head coach at the Citadel in 2015 when they beat us in Columbia. He has won everywhere and is now HC at East Carolina. Last year they were 4-8, but he bears watching.

Neal Brown is the HC at West Virginia after previously coaching at Troy. While at Troy they beat LSU in Baton Rouge. Also one to watch.

PJ Fleck would be my first choice followed by Josh Heupel - although Heupel might have better recruiting ties to the SE. I'd be happy with either one.
This is

Sorry if anyone has talked about this but has anyone considered Joe Brady, former co-offensive coordinator for LSU and now the offensive coordinator for the Panthers? He’s young but by all accounts has a great offensive mind, players love him. He might be worth rolling the dice on...thoughts?
Everyone would love Brady....but when one makes that quick jump to the NFL, on top of having the NFL background experience already (at his age)....he's staying up there for good IMO.
He dipped down for one collegiate coaching season (not counting GA work)....so has "coached" more in the NFL than in college. Those guys usually become lifers.

I'm sure Freeze will be the "go to"talk now. I, too, like Freeze.....and would take him. But, we can't miss with this - so you aim as high as you can go and go with the closest sure thing to a clean program changer as you can. Of course....Freeze is not that. He's a hell of a coach, and again....I would take him - but I hope we go after the 1-2 closest to sure thing bets that are out there.
Very few of "those" type guys come around. Herman was not one....and most "can't miss" guys are not. IMO I think K. Smart was one. I also remember when it was almost universally agreed certain guys were one....U. Meyer was one. SOS was one in the LATE 80s (but not until he shocked the ACC as a HC). We need to be right this time or ..........I don't want to consider "or else"

Reactions: ForeUSC
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT