ADVERTISEMENT

Athlon loves SC for 2021

Nothing to wrong with what they wrote up, its true we need a QB. WR and Secondary to develop :)

We have won 6 games the past two seasons combined. Where should we expect to be ranked?
I think it's very funny when everyone does predictions because it's always heavily based on the past. Why do a prediction if you're going to say "This team was great and will continue to do so, and this team sucked, and will continue to do so"? Any idiot on the street can do that.

I think it's very funny when everyone does predictions because it's always heavily based on the past. Why do a prediction if you're going to say "This team was great and will continue to do so, and this team sucked, and will continue to do so"? Any idiot on the street can do that.
Because your resume tells everyone what you are...Alabama’s resume says they are always great our resume says we arent

I think you have to look at the position groups & coaching.

a. does anyone here think the coaching won't be better?
b. QB? should be equal to or better. At least part of that is due to the new OC.
c. RB? better. more depth
d. WR? better. The GT xfr + more experience + Jenkins offset loss of Shi Smith
e. OL? equal to maybe better. due to added year of exp + 7 returners who've started
f. TE? better. more depth + Jenkins. TE/WR.

g. Edge? should be better. Straughn + 2nd yr for Burch. Enagbare healthy again.
h. DT? cannot be any worse. + more size & depth.
i. LB? hopefully as good. Jones is a real loss. we have guys but do we have playmakers?
j. CB? probably not as good. All depends on the newcomers.
k. S? probably below avg again. not much depth either.

When I put it all in the teapot and then try to read the leaves ( I am not a negative Nellie) I see us with a real shot at more than 4 wins which is double last year. With a break or two going our way, we could make a minor bowl game.

It is lazy journalism for sure.

Reactions: paladin181

b. QB? should be equal to or better. At least part of that is due to the new OC.
e. OL? equal to maybe better. due to added year of exp + 7 returners who've started

i. LB? hopefully as good. Jones is a real loss. we have guys but do we have playmakers?

When I put it all in the teapot and then try to read the leaves ( I am not a negative Nellie) I see us with a real shot at more than 4 wins which is double last year. With a break or two going our way, we could make a minor bowl game.
Smith had to get his beak wet, if people just look at what he did down the stretch, everyone would see he's a lock down, maybe as good as Horn, I think at least as good as Fenton was. So we have a lockdown and on the other side and nickel we're working with a few decent young players, and some very promising transfers. Safety played slow and we're always out of position, I think a scheme that revolves around simpler reads for the safeties should let them play with more speed and confidence. We really underachieved at safety for the talent we've had. Factor in how much Izzy was slowed by injuries and I really don't think it'll be as hard to make up for losses in the secondary. It wouldn't even be a question if Dixon didn't transfer. Maybe in an easier system we'll finally see out of Dickerson what Muschamp promised.

Not.

Lucky there is Vandy! TBH I am not at all surprised. This is where I expected us to be.

Muschsmp did it to us and not in a good way. The pundits don’t see Beamer as someone who can turn this around in a hurry, if at all.

Last edited:
Reactions: cockofdawn
The pundits don’t see Beamer as someone who can turn this around in a hurry, if at all.
Shane is an unknown HC commodity to the pundits, as well as to us. Thus, the low ranking by Athlon is not a shocker. The bar is low. He's the guy who replaces the guy who replaced a legend.

I think football this fall is going to be fun. My only concern is the type of offense we will run and if we can score enough points to win games. The defense may keep us in most games.
I wouldn't concern myself about the offense or anything else. Seriously, just kick back and let the season come to you. Limit your expectations to zero and your worries will melt away 😊.

Isn’t it possible that losing a lot of players from a terrible defense might actually improve the defense?

Shane is an unknown HC commodity to the pundits, as well as to us. Thus, the low ranking by Athlon is not a shocker. The bar is low. He's the guy who replaces the guy who replaced a legend.
Shane is a known unknown.

Much better than Boom who had bigger hooters than Fat Bradsturd.

Go Cocks!

I admit that it could be blind loyalty, foolishness or both, on my part. But, I really, really am looking more forward to this coming season than any, comparable to the expectations in the Spurrier era. I believe we will be much better coached. We have an experienced Defensive Coordinator who is a 3-time Frank Broyles nominee for the nation's top assistant coach. The previous DC had never been a DC, and it showed. We have a Special Teams Coordinator who has annually produced elite special teams in the country. And our offense cannot help but be better than any Muschamp offense, which was best suited for pee wee football. Having said all that, I'm not an analyst. I know little and claim less.

Reactions: Dizzy01
Isn’t it possible that losing a lot of players from a terrible defense might actually improve the defense?
Unfortunately, not when you lose your best players from an already bad position group ie. Linebackers, Corners and Receivers. Watch this upcoming season for the hopeful progression and development from game 1 til the end.

It i

It is the blissful season.

4 wins would be a concerning step back from last year given we have 3 OOC games that should be winnable.

So, take care of those and that would mean one SEC victory.

You must like your tea iced cold.

But, I will say that, to me, how we look, our schemes (especially with the “Lincoln Riley” offense), the in-game decision making and our recruiting will be a lot more predictive than the final record.

I do hope to be surprised and we see an approach that is exciting and provides hope. That would be a win in and of itself,

Unfortunately, not when you lose your best players from an already bad position group ie. Linebackers, Corners and Receivers. Watch this upcoming season for the hopeful progression and development from game 1 til the end.
We did lose some talent but I have zero faith (especially on defense) that the previous staff had any ability to scheme, coach or identify a guys talent level.

I may be wrong but I really believe that any coaching these guys get is an improvement over what they’ve gotten since HS.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT