ADVERTISEMENT

Atlanta Braves Thread

Art__Vandelay

Apr 24, 2017
Upper West Side
Thought it may be good to have an ongoing Braves thread for some discussion throughout the year.

Nice bounceback in the home opener after getting absolutely shelled in Philly. My hatred for them certainly has been ratcheted up a notch.

In other big Braves news-

We have locked up Acuna in an 8-year, $100MM deal. Kind of shocked we were able to sign him for that long at that rate.. Hell of a deal of the Braves and pumped to have him here for that long. Really frees up some $$$ to be spent elsewhere as well. Longer term helps for planning purposes too.

We need pitching. Gausman supposedly comes back this week. I’m interested to see if he looks like last season or the guy in spring training with a 27.00 ERA. Folty is out the better part of a month. Luke Jackson shouldn’t be there and Touki Touissant should be up. Like what Fried and Parsons bring to the table.

Like the position players. Set for a while with Freeman, Acuna and Albies. Do not like the Josh Donaldson experiment. Camargo was doing a great job. GM seems obsessed with upgrading 3B with many other needs. Wished we held on to Suzuki and let Flowers go.

Frustrating Liberty Media has no desire to spend for free agent moves. Need a front line starter desperately. I think Newcomb and Folty can be those guys. Folty is close. Newcomb needs better command over his stuff.

Reactions: Art__Vandelay
Great move signing Acuna while he’s still relatively cheap....but y’all are just competing for second place in the NL East. This is the Phillies year ;)

Maybe but I think it’s a little early to crown the Phillies. Gabe will rely on analytics and blow a few games, that is a given. Philly should win it. They made the most moves. They have the most talent, but the entire division has talent. Atlanta will stick around IF the pitching gets healthy. Worth noting that Folty and Gausman (1,2 starters) didn’t pitch in that series.

Reactions: Cock-a-Doo
Great move signing Acuna while he’s still relatively cheap....but y’all are just competing for second place in the NL East. This is the Phillies year ;)

Maybe but I think it’s a little early to crown the Phillies. Gabe will rely on analytics and blow a few games, that is a given. Philly should win it. They made the most moves. They have the most talent, but the entire division has talent. Atlanta will stick around IF the pitching gets healthy. Worth noting that Folty and Gausman (1,2 starters) didn’t pitch in that series.

Agree with both of you here. Philly did make some great moves and they look to be paying dividends pretty early. I’m a huge Realmuto fan. Obviously Harper is Harper and even McCutchen has hit a couple of bombs.

Reactions: Gamecockben1979
We need pitching. Gausman supposedly comes back this week. I’m interested to see if he looks like last season or the guy in spring training with a 27.00 ERA. Folty is out the better part of a month. Luke Jackson shouldn’t be there and Touki Touissant should be up. Like what Fried and Parsons bring to the table.

Like the position players. Set for a while with Freeman, Acuna and Albies. Do not like the Josh Donaldson experiment. Camargo was doing a great job. GM seems obsessed with upgrading 3B with many other needs. Wished we held on to Suzuki and let Flowers go.

Frustrating Liberty Media has no desire to spend for free agent moves. Need a front line starter desperately. I think Newcomb and Folty can be those guys. Folty is close. Newcomb needs better command over his stuff.

Wholeheartedly agree with everything in this post. Really wish we had a guy in the rotation that just struck fear in the opponent’s hearts (like a Kershaw, Sale, DeGrom, etc)

Reactions: Gamecockben1979
We want know what our Braves are until June! The pitching staff is a mess right now. Tehran is a #4 starter! If he is the top of your rotation, you have serious problems!

Great move to lock up Acuna! I love the Donaldson move once he is back at n form! I knew it would take a month or two for his bat to groove!

just like last year, competing for 2nd place to the team who had harper and an all star staff

The Phillies were in first place last season up until their final month collapse with an average roster at best. They then added Jean Segura, JT Realmuto, Andrew McCutchen and Bryce Harper to the lineup. They still have questions regarding their rotation past Aaron Nola...but this offense has the potential to be better then the World Series Charlie Manuel squads of a decade ago.

Wholeheartedly agree with everything in this post. Really wish we had a guy in the rotation that just struck fear in the opponent’s hearts (like a Kershaw, Sale, DeGrom, etc)

Without a front line starter we might win regular season games, but we have no shot in the postseason. Unless we go get a guy like the one mentioned above, the ceiling is limited.

Reactions: Art__Vandelay
From what I've been reading, this kind of transaction is the new template in baseball. You're not going to be seeing as many blockbuster free agent moves after a player's deal has expired. Both sides are becoming more inclined to sew each other up.

The Phillies were in first place last season up until their final month collapse with an average roster at best. They then added Jean Segura, JT Realmuto, Andrew McCutchen and Bryce Harper to the lineup. They still have questions regarding their rotation past Aaron Nola...but this offense has the potential to be better then the World Series Charlie Manuel squads of a decade ago.

lakers got lebron, see how that ended up

Thought it may be good to have an ongoing Braves thread for some discussion throughout the year.

Nice bounceback in the home opener after getting absolutely shelled in Philly. My hatred for them certainly has been ratcheted up a notch.

now what's there 2 hate 'bout the quakers?

From what I've been reading, this kind of transaction is the new template in baseball. You're not going to be seeing as many blockbuster free agent moves after a player's deal has expired. Both sides are becoming more inclined to sew each other up.

I can see a strike coming once the labor deal expires. Think owners are trying to keep salaries down. Acuna gave the hometown team a discount but could’ve asked for more.

Went to the game last night and was waiting in the Uber pickup line when Camargo got the hit.... may be a sign that I should stay away

Either way- great win. Ozzie was en fuego!

Should be a dog fight all year long in the nl east! Fun to be in that division

Philadelphia born. Flyers Sixers Eagles Phillies. It’s a long season, but last week was especially fun.

Got it. Love the city of Philadelphia, but not the teams. :>)

Tough to tell legit comments from sarcasm on here but you really DO love to see the Braves lose. (FYI, we refer to your baseball team as the Phuckin' Phillies). :>)

Like the way the season has started, Gausman and Fried looked really good in their first starts, Folty's coming back soon! Just think they got caught up in all the Brycehype in Philly, be interesting to see how it goes when they visit Atlanta!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT