ADVERTISEMENT

Automatic Bids to CFB Playoff

JamesRob

May 31, 2012
8 team CFB playoff, Power 5 conference champions receive automatic bids.

Committee has 3 at-large spots to take anyone they deem deserving.

Done.

4 teams - just be one of them. Already done! Personally, I like it. Today is a playoff Saturday. The power 5 left out gets a head start on getting better.

I would like to see 16 teams and the lower NCAA divisions have been doing it successfully for years. The reason the NCAA basketball tourney is so popular is that there is always a smaller school that upsets a big boy. I'd like to see a team like UCF this year at least get a chance.

Reactions: Scuba_do

Done.
No one should have an automatic bid. Clemson won the ACC in 2011 and would have had no business in playoff. Best 4 or 8, no automatic anything. I wish basketball would eliminate automatic bids

Reactions: Garnet chicken
Hey guys, can we come up with a system where I can watch even more Clemson games? Me and my wife's son love watching Clemson play football.

Reactions: Judson1
No one should have an automatic bid. Clemson won the ACC in 2011 and would have had no business in playoff. Best 4 or 8, no automatic anything. I wish basketball would eliminate automatic bids
My only problem with the best 4 (or 8) argument is how subjective everything gets when comparing resumes, eye test, etc. They come up with all these metrics to try and sort it out, that to me, still don't mean squat. Let the teams sort it out on the field, not a committee. Win your conference and you earn the right to represent it in the playoff. 3 at large spots to catch any other teams that deserve to be in based on resume, eye test, SOS, SOR, O & D Efficiency, blah, blah, blah. Of course with only 4 spots, you've got to use those things because there's not enough spots.

My only problem with the best 4 (or 8) argument is how subjective everything gets when comparing resumes, eye test, etc. They come up with all these metrics to try and sort it out, that to me, still don't mean squat. Let the teams sort it out on the field, not a committee. Win your conference and you earn the right to represent it in the playoff. 3 at large spots to catch any other teams that deserve to be in based on resume, eye test, SOS, SOR, O & D Efficiency, blah, blah, blah. Of course with only 4 spots, you've got to use those things because there's not enough spots.
The purpose is to crown the best team, not have the best team upset in the first round by an opponent that had a lucky day. We are choosing four teams who then decide it on the field. Not all conference champions are created equally. This year it might work. Some years you would put an inferior or undeserving team in. Current system is so much better than BCS

4 teams - just be one of them. Already done! Personally, I like it. Today is a playoff Saturday. The power 5 left out gets a head start on getting better.
Amen times a million. This system makes teams perform throughout the regular season AND at playoff time. The drama is riveting. It's perfect as it is. Inclusion isn't always a good thing.

Amen times a million. This system makes teams perform throughout the regular season AND at playoff time. The drama is riveting. It's perfect as it is. Inclusion isn't always a good thing.
How do we know PSU couldn't beat Bama or Clempson last season?
I think they could have but we'll never know.

Reactions: cocky lady
6 teams
Power 5 champs and most deserving non power 5.
Top 2 get byes.

How do we know PSU couldn't beat Bama or Clempson last season?
I think they could have but we'll never know.
They aren't owed a chance to prove it if they don't earn it in the regular season and/or Championship Saturday. People need to understand that the playoffs really start back in September.

6 teams
Top 2 get byes.

That would mean, currently, Oklahoma vs UCF in the 1st round. Okie might score a 100. What's the point? Mayfield or another important Sooner could get injured. It would serve no purpose.

He'd have to put on the head gear. His speech is unintelligible.
mrbelvedere1.jpg

They aren't owed a chance to prove it if they don't earn it in the regular season and/or Championship Saturday. People need to understand that the playoffs really start back in September.
OSU didn't have to play on Championship Saturday and they lost to PSU, so why did they deserve a chance? Pretty obvious they weren't close.

6 teams
Top 2 get byes.
Would be an improvement, but I don't like the top 2 getting an advantage of a bye.
Then again there's time to play the semi's and give the others an extra week off. It would just be 3 weeks for the top 2.

OSU didn't have to play on Championship Saturday and they lost to PSU, so why did they deserve a chance? Pretty obvious they weren't close.
They earned their chance because they beat Oklahoma on the road, beat Michigan and based on their overall performance over a 12-week season. Not all those playoff teams are going to be absolute best teams. Those will be exposed. As long as they get the best one or two in that four, the playoff is vindicated.

The purpose is to crown the best team, not have the best team upset in the first round by an opponent that had a lucky day. We are choosing four teams who then decide it on the field. Not all conference champions are created equally. This year it might work. Some years you would put an inferior or undeserving team in. Current system is so much better than BCS
I just don't have an issue if an "inferior" team gets in if they earn their way in by winning their championship. The path to the playoff would be laid out at the beginning of the season, and you know what you need to do to get in. You can't always control your schedule, so it gets taken out of your hands. You can even try to schedule a big game and it ends up being trash (see Alabama v FSU). I just think this comparing losses and wins with consideration to injuries, location, etc. is no way to decide who gets a chance to play for a championship. Auto bids into playoffs works for literally every other sport. I'd love to see a cinderella story in CFB.

Done.

Inevitable. Eventually will be a 16 team playoff, but 8 teams will happen first. The bowls will be incorporated into the playoffs. The minor bowls will be basically post season exhibition games.

They earned their chance because they beat Oklahoma on the road, beat Michigan and based on their overall performance over a 12-week season. Not all those playoff teams are going to be absolute best teams. Those will be exposed. As long as they get the best one or two in that four, the playoff is vindicated.

Two loss Ohio State does not deserve to be in over one loss teams.Michigan is a crappy four loss team, I can't believe they are even mentioned in your argument.

Inevitable. Eventually will be a 16 team playoff, but 8 teams will happen first. The bowls will be incorporated into the playoffs. The minor bowls will be basically post season exhibition games.
The longer the season is extended, the greater the number of NFL prospects who will be shutting themselves down prior to the draft.

Well, they lost to Bama by 49 points earlier in the season. And as much as I would like to say they could beat Clemson, I don't believe they could.
Yeah, they lost to the #1 team early. (Remind me again who Pickens Co Punks lost to?) But early losses aren't as taxing as late losses like Bama this season, right?
Well, unless your final 4 are chosen by 13 men sitting around a room.

I guess we'll just forever agree to disagree. With the current system and only 4 teams it's more like a beauty pageant than a true playoff and we'll never really know who the best team in the country is.

PSU got screwed. They need to either make conference championships a part of the playoff or eliminate them all together.

Yeah, they lost to the #1 team early. (Remind me again who Pickens Co Punks lost to?) But early losses aren't as taxing as late losses like Bama this season, right?

I guess we'll just forever agree to disagree. With the current system and only 4 teams it's more like a beauty pageant than a true playoff and we'll never really know who the best team in the country is.
Yes you will.

Will we ever know who is truly the best team in the country? Do we even know what it means to be the best team in the country? You're right we're never going to agree. I said that when people wanted to get rid of the BCS; adding teams is not going to lessen the controversy.

Will we ever know who is truly the best team in the country? Do we even know what it means to be the best team in the country? You're right we're never going to agree. I said that when people wanted to get rid of the BCS; adding teams is not going to lessen the controversy.
Sec’ers would complaining that it’s not fair because SEC runner up would most likely be better than a non deserving conference champ. System is perfect now. Regular season means something.

You are directly contradicting yourself in back to back sentences. If you are deciding the best team by play on the field, then the winner is best and advances. If an upset happens, it's irrelevant. The winner moves forward. If there is an inferior team and a monumental blowout is occurring, then the benchwarmers get a lot of playing time.

"The best four teams should go to the playoffs". However, there is never a consensus on which four. There seems to be about six deserving teams, each year.

How about having the top ranked eight teams play each other to produce the "Four Best Teams" for the playoffs? ;)

Btw, suggest random draw for eight teams. Four winners seeded in playoffs by original ranking.

With 4 teams you leave out too many quality teams below them that could beat the so called #1 team picked by a committee of politicians. No way Auburn should have been #2 with 2 losses. Lower division has a 32 team playoff. I don't hear them complaining.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT