ADVERTISEMENT

Automatic Bids to CFB Playoff

Hypothetical situation :

A team has two losses and is sitting in fifth place behind four teams with one loss. Do you leave the two loss team out of the playoff if all of the one loss teams lost to the two loss team? o_O

Season breakdown, all one loss teams lose in first four weeks. The two loss team has QB injury and loses next two games. QB comes back and wins out. Do you leave them out?

With more playoff slots, the two loss team wins the championship, easily.

The longer the season is extended, the greater the number of NFL prospects who will be shutting themselves down prior to the draft.

Probably true. But missing a bowl game is one thing, missing when your team can be national champs another. A 16 game playoff may entail reducing the regular season by at least a game.

Probably true. But missing a bowl game is one thing, missing when your team can be national champs another. A 16 game playoff may entail reducing the regular season by at least a game.
If it goes that way, I think it should mean one less regular season game. I hope it doesn't go that way, unless every quarterfinal and semifinal game is one of the present bowls. It would be great for the relevancy of bowls.

If it goes that way, I think it should mean one less regular season game. I hope it doesn't go that way, unless every quarterfinal and semifinal game is one of the present bowls. It would be great for the relevancy of bowls.

A 16 team playoff would give us 8 + 4 + 2 + 1 games = 15 games that can be incorporated into the bowl system. So every major bowl can be a part of it. The minor bowls can still be played, basically exhibitions between non-playoff teams.

A 16 team playoff would give us 8 + 4 + 2 + 1 games = 15 games that can be incorporated into the bowl system. So every major bowl can be a part of it. The minor bowls can still be played, basically exhibitions between non-playoff teams.

So this year I would have the chance to watch Clemon play in the ACC Championship Game and 4 playoff games? Wow. Sign me up! Maybe coach Muschamp can have some recruits over for a viewing party.

And it will probably come to that because, this day in time, the gates of participation are thrown wide open. But I'm not a fan. Nothing wrong with some expert culling.

8 team CFB playoff, Power 5 conference champions receive automatic bids.

Committee has 3 at-large spots to take anyone they deem deserving.

Done.
We'll probably end up there eventually. The Big XII, Pac 12, and now even the Big Ten have all been excluded. A few more cycles of that and they'll start to feel the pressure to expand.

That said, while I happen to agree an 8-team playoff would be more "fair" as it would included all the champions, I'm not sure we'd be happy with the way it impacts the season. With 3 at-large spots, you could have 3-loss teams getting in, like Auburn at #7. Imagine the SECCG if you knew both teams were in regardless, plus a team sitting at home (Bama). The last 3 weeks of the season would have had no drama. Same goes for the Big Ten game. Both Ohio State and Wisconsin would have still made it.

In other words, "fair" isn't interesting.

And it will probably come to that because, this day in time, the gates of participation are thrown wide open. But I'm not a fan. Nothing wrong with some expert culling.

That is just what looks inevitable to me. I am not arguing whether it is good or bad. But once you have a 4-team playoff, there seems no way to stop that mutating to 8 teams followed a few years later by 16.

So this year I would have the chance to watch Clemon play in the ACC Championship Game and 4 playoff games? Wow. Sign me up! Maybe coach Muschamp can have some recruits over for a viewing party.

If they went to 16 teams, it is very possible the biggest five conference championships could be integrated into that.

That is just what looks inevitable to me. I am not arguing whether it is good or bad. But once you have a 4-team playoff, there seems no way to stop that mutating to 8 teams followed a few years later by 16.
And I'm not arguing that it won't happen. either. I know how people are. More is always better.

The goal in a playoff is not to get the best 8.

The goal in a playoff is to get the best 2 (which the BCS was unable to reliably do.)

The only team to win the NC that was not a 1 or 2 seed was #4 Ohio State in 2015/2016 but they beat the #1 and #2 seeds on their way to the championship.

Interesting tidbit: No #1 seed has ever won the NC go figure huh?

Now we've only had 3 playoffs so you really cant glean much information thus far but as we get more under the belt I would argue that if the #4 seeds win the NC 1/4th of the time then we should probably expand the playoff to 8.

Go Blue!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT