ADVERTISEMENT

Ayers at wofford to retire today.......

Did Wofford get eliminated in playoff? I don't follow it too closely.

Can we count that as another coach whose tenure we ended by defeating his team?:p Just kidding! Coaching 30yrs at one stop is impressive! Good for him - hope he has an enjoyable retirement!

Last edited:
I like coach Ayers. Something to be said for that kind of long-term relationship between coach and school. Won't find it too often in the SEC anymore. It's win or die rich.

Ayers, a black belt who served in the Marine Corps, won a lot in D2. He also won a lot in 1-AA. Probably could've won at any level. But he stayed where his heart was.

Can we count that as another coach whose tenure we ended by defeating his team?:p Just kidding! Coaching 30yrs at one stop is impressive! Good for him - hope he has an enjoyable retirement!
Funny I can remember watching the coaching shows on Sunday in the 80’s in the upstate. Would watch USC, Wofford and UPC. Hard to believe that was JoMo, Ford and Ayers.

Ayers is a legend and a great example of being loyal and content. He probably woulda killed it at Nebraska when Osborne retired. No telling what kind of job offers he has had.

Never knew his story until hearing it on the radio yesterday. The link has most of his story. One tidbit it doesnt say was that he was evidently shot when he was a garbage man. The guy who shot him said he did it "because he was just a garbage man." Evidently thats what pushed him to join the Marines. Great coach, great example for young men.

https://www.wofford.edu/newsroom/woffordInTheNewsContent.aspx?id=457397

Reactions: Jpcooper
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT