ADVERTISEMENT

Bagman at Tennessee? Since when did they do anything in basketball? Tigers get Zion`ed again.

psycock

Jan 20, 2001
I normally would be delighted, but why in the hell are these kids going to the basketball powerhouse Tennessee? Could understand if he went to Duke, but the Vols? Something smells to get 2 guys that good out of S.C. It must be the AAU people, that so-called "pastor" (yes your tactics are underhanded, not at all Christian). We go to the Final Four, solidifying how good a coach Frank Martin is, and these guys don`t stay in state. Just ridiculous. At least Frank is getting good non-S.C. recruits. You would think these kids would listen to Sin, if they don`t want to listen to the coaches or other influential people. I just wish some of them, like Tre Hannibal apparently did, would see through some of that crap and play for the flagship. I hope they do well in basketball, because I don`t know who will care about them after their careers are over, if they come back to S.C., other than their friends and family.

If they do well at UT, these kids can stay in Knoxville where they will be well known. Nothing persona, but no one in SC will give a rip that they played BBall in Tennessee.

I'm going to need some convincing.

IM sure Frank is worried about convincing you . I’m sure he’s more concerned with getting the right players in and keeping them 4 years and developing them. Convincing you or I is not what he’s worried about

I would say most of the high rated kids want to shoot and not worry about playing D. The one and doners sure don't like working hard. So Frank has to show players that his team has a good offense that they can strive and show off their talent.

IM sure Frank is worried about convincing you . I’m sure he’s more concerned with getting the right players in and keeping them 4 years and developing them. Convincing you or I is not what he’s worried about
He should be worried about convincing all of us. And I say this as a Frank supporter. He has got to show he can capitalize on the Final Four appearance, namely by landing at least some of the top in state talent. I'm cautiously optimistic about the new recruiting class, but I'm also worried about the attrition rate rearing its ugly head again.

All said and told, if Frank keeps whiffing on the in state talent while Tennessee and Alabama (of all teams) keep out recruiting said talent while also winning more, the fans will soon grow apathetic.

Reactions: rogue cock

Maybe Frank can recruit a few less transfers this year

All FFF has to worry about is where he'll be vacationing in March of 2019.

He should be worried about convincing all of us. And I say this as a Frank supporter. He has got to show he can capitalize on the Final Four appearance, namely by landing at least some of the top in state talent. I'm cautiously optimistic about the new recruiting class, but I'm also worried about the attrition rate rearing its ugly head again.

All said and told, if Frank keeps whiffing on the in state talent while Tennessee and Alabama (of all teams) keep out recruiting said talent while also winning more, the fans will soon grow apathetic.
At the alumni dinner last month Frank said the final four would pay off this year that it was to late in recruiting for it to affect last year (and losing early graduates didn’t help). He said he got the players he needed to win this year and the ones he lost he has already moved on. He made it clear he knows it’s time to win.

Reactions: Legendary Cock
Not sure why Barnes at UT signing good players is surprising. Has won at every stop in his career. UT was good last year, and will be better this year. A shame that USC apparently didn't have a chance, but I wouldn't lay that on Frank's coaching style. Barnes isn't exactly a roll out the balls and shoot away type coach. He stresses defense. If you don't play his style, you won't get off the bench

Unlike a lot of Clemson fans, I still like Rick Barnes. He and Cliff Ellis are 2 of the better ones I remember at Clemson. One year doesnt have me sold on Brownell yet. he seems to have finally turned a corner but that will soon be seen or not. Barnes can coach basketball and he's been a winner everywhere he went. Loved when he used to go at it with Dean Smith.

His wife told the kids Mothers how nice Klelmpson fans are. She was scared they were going to cut her 10 year old son.

Not sure why Barnes at UT signing good players is surprising. Has won at every stop in his career. UT was good last year, and will be better this year. A shame that USC apparently didn't have a chance, but I wouldn't lay that on Frank's coaching style. Barnes isn't exactly a roll out the balls and shoot away type coach. He stresses defense. If you don't play his style, you won't get off the bench
The great ones all stressed defense. Dean Smith did; Coach K does now. They also didn't suppress offense. Come to think of it, I hope we are coming around to that approach in football. We'd better be.

The great ones all stressed defense. Dean Smith did; Coach K does now. They also didn't suppress offense. Come to think of it, I hope we are coming around to that approach in football. We'd better be.
Since it is clear you dont like Frank Martin and want him gone, please enlighten me as to who you think we would get to replace him? Not who you want, but who we could get that would do better and be a better person for the school and these young men? The truth is no one. The problem is that frank has standards for his players and that means work hard, dont slack off and become better men in life. Todays kids, and I have worked with teenagers for 19 yrs now so I know how alot are, expect to be catered to and treated as though they are to be worshipped. Not all, but most. frank does not believe in doing that. I dont think brownell at Clemson is like that either which is why both are having to look elsewhere for players because this state seems to be producing vast amounts of primadonnas in the basketball world.
I want Frank to win as much as anybody and I DO think he is the right coach here for this school. When kids quit looking for the people who lie to them in recruiting and start looking at who is honest like Frank, then we will see things change. I dont think it is as much Frank as it is todays athlete.

Since it is clear you dont like Frank Martin and want him gone, please enlighten me as to who you think we would get to replace him? Not who you want, but who we could get that would do better and be a better person for the school and these young men? The truth is no one. The problem is that frank has standards for his players and that means work hard, dont slack off and become better men in life. Todays kids, and I have worked with teenagers for 19 yrs now so I know how alot are, expect to be catered to and treated as though they are to be worshipped. Not all, but most. frank does not believe in doing that. I dont think brownell at Clemson is like that either which is why both are having to look elsewhere for players because this state seems to be producing vast amounts of primadonnas in the basketball world.
I want Frank to win as much as anybody and I DO think he is the right coach here for this school. When kids quit looking for the people who lie to them in recruiting and start looking at who is honest like Frank, then we will see things change. I dont think it is as much Frank as it is todays athlete.
Look, this ain't rec ball. It's not high school ball, either. This is major college basketball in a highly competitive environment. This is a "just win, baby" situation. And if it's Frank who does it, it's OK by me. But one Final Four after several years of not Dancing at all, followed by an abysmal campaign, ain't going to keep the wolves away from the door. There comes a time when a person has to produce tangible top notch results on a consistent basis. So, as I said, convince me. The question of succession will be addressed when the time comes.

Look, this ain't rec ball. It's not high school ball, either. This is major college basketball in a highly competitive environment. This is a "just win, baby" situation. And if it's Frank who does it, it's OK by me. But one Final Four after several years of not Dancing at all, followed by an abysmal campaign, ain't going to keep the wolves away from the door. There comes a time when a person has to produce tangible top notch results on a consistent basis. So, as I said, convince me. The question of succession will be addressed when the time comes.
Maybe he would produce more if he went the routes of Bruce Pearl and John Calipari but Frank will not do that and I would not want him to. He has produced very well in a time that the SEC is starting to strengthen again. We are not a basketball school and so we dont need to pretend we are. If this were baseball, then I would agree with you whole heartedly and we did make the appropriate change there based on lack of results and a steady downturn. This is basketball and Frank is doing better than the last 2 coaches did and it is never said by any other coach that our team is an easy win. As a matter of fact, they ALL say it is one of if not the toughest game they play each year. Frank has produced a culture of hard work. That hard work will lead to wins. last year was down due to no real point guard with Pj leaving early, Felton getting in trouble and then Holden never being healthy. That meant we had to go with shooting guards to lead the team and that is not a winning formula. You could say recruit more point guards but that was 3 right there. thats about the most any team has so its not for lack of recruiting there. Those were also 3 very very good point guards that I think really would have made about a 5-6 game win difference. Lets see how this year goes with point guards, although young, and I know from talking with people on the inside that Frank and the whole staff are ecstatic with the team we have. I dont think he will come out and say they are best shoting team like last year or anything like that because that jinxed them right off the bat. However they love the make up and leadership and athleticism of this team. I cant wait to see how they do and think we will surprise quite a few people this year.

Reactions: reeves819
Maybe he would produce more if he went the routes of Bruce Pearl and John Calipari but Frank will not do that and I would not want him to. He has produced very well in a time that the SEC is starting to strengthen again. We are not a basketball school and so we dont need to pretend we are. If this were baseball, then I would agree with you whole heartedly and we did make the appropriate change there based on lack of results and a steady downturn. This is basketball and Frank is doing better than the last 2 coaches did and it is never said by any other coach that our team is an easy win. As a matter of fact, they ALL say it is one of if not the toughest game they play each year. Frank has produced a culture of hard work. That hard work will lead to wins. last year was down due to no real point guard with Pj leaving early, Felton getting in trouble and then Holden never being healthy. That meant we had to go with shooting guards to lead the team and that is not a winning formula. You could say recruit more point guards but that was 3 right there. thats about the most any team has so its not for lack of recruiting there. Those were also 3 very very good point guards that I think really would have made about a 5-6 game win difference. Lets see how this year goes with point guards, although young, and I know from talking with people on the inside that Frank and the whole staff are ecstatic with the team we have. I dont think he will come out and say they are best shoting team like last year or anything like that because that jinxed them right off the bat. However they love the make up and leadership and athleticism of this team. I cant wait to see how they do and think we will surprise quite a few people this year.
I'm eager to be surprised. But don't kid yourself, "quite a number" of people need to be surprised in order for the efficacy of this program to be validated.

I'm eager to be surprised. But don't kid yourself, "quite a number" of people need to be surprised in order for the efficacy of this program to be validated.
That number is probably alot smaller than those who dont need to be surprised. Just support the school, team and coach. As an old saying goes, nothing is ever as good or as bad as it seems. So maybe the team will not be as good as some of us think but I feel quite certain it will not be as bad as some others think. As long as you are not critical of every missed shot or bad pass and in turn blame it on frank, then maybe you will be pleasently surprised.

That number is probably alot smaller than those who dont need to be surprised. Just support the school, team and coach. As an old saying goes, nothing is ever as good or as bad as it seems. So maybe the team will not be as good as some of us think but I feel quite certain it will not be as bad as some others think. As long as you are not critical of every missed shot or bad pass and in turn blame it on frank, then maybe you will be pleasently surprised.
I'm looking at wins and losses and whether or not we Dance. Style points don't matter to me. It's time for this thing to get on a higher plateau.

...please enlighten me as to who you think we would get to replace him? Not who you want, but who we could get that would do better and be a better person for the school and these young men?...

You didn't ask me, but....

us-toy-tmp-images-catalog-products-m-a-mat3018811.jpg

capaaaa.jpg

crowd-of-people-walking-on-city-street-sidewalk-4k-slow-motion_ekill3re__F0000.png

i-6LJjVzM.jpg

gregg-marshall.jpg

This board will get a lot more interesting when somebody starts posting the names of street agents. Not saying it applies in this case, but if the major sports news sites are identifying street agents now, imagine a few years from now.

Reactions: king ward
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT