ADVERTISEMENT

Barton Simmons analysis of Gunner Stockton

MowerDave

Jun 10, 2020
Most of what I read about Stockton is glowing, overflowing with praise. This bit by Barton Simmons is like a bucket of cold water.

“Stocky prospect at the quarterback that doesn't appear to have significant growth potential. Good athlete with a baseball background that has active feet in the pocket. Can extend plays when needed and accounted for over 700 rushing yards as a freshman against limited competition. Is capable of making some advanced throws and shows touch and ball placement downfield. Shows creativity and competency delivering on screens and RPO throws on the move. Comfortable making tight-window seem throws with velocity. Still in the early stages of his development and shows the need to load up on big balls. Has a tendency to overstep with his front foot and can get loose mechanically. Very early stages of a potential NFL prospect but significant experience and development is still necessary.”

Don't know a lot about Simmons. Is he fairly accurate? It doesn't sound like an analysis of the #1 player at his position and #24 player overall in the country. Makes him sound like a developmental QB.

Kind of ticks me off.

Last edited:
Never heard of him but I don't follow this stuff religiously.

He wrote "seem" instead of "seam". Anyone that writes for a living and makes mistakes like this I take with a grain of salt.

Reactions: jackrabbit slim
Comparison of two other state record holding QB's from Georgia - Gunner's first two years of High School passing are nearly as good as or better than Trevor Lawrence's first two years in every area. Gunners rushing is better than Deshaun Watson's first two years in every area and much better than Trevor's.

He looks good from the video I’ve seen. Granted, those are highlights, but in those highlights he sees the whole field, makes quick decisions, has a quick arm motion, hits the open man and runs good.

That was his Sophomore film. He has plenty of time to improve.

The kid is a keeper. This analysis is like giving an opinion on a young boy on how he will be as a grown man. I'll be the first to ask...will he be allowed to play baseball too?

Reactions: redrogers
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT