ADVERTISEMENT

Baseball cards.

Judson1

Jul 31, 2008
As a kid we found change and rode bikes to the store to get a pack. Every day it seemed. The gum was a bonus. But we talked and dreamt about rare cards. Sometimes we would get our parents to take us to a card store. We all had our albums too. And there were some players who seemed to be in every pack. I probably had 100 Bobby Bonilla’s. Speaking of him he got his $1.9 mil today. Every July 1st for a few more years at least.

Being a kid in the early 80’s was pretty good. Any baseball card stories from y’all? A friend of mine had bags of cards and did t even know they were worth anything.

I had a bunch as a 60's kid. Attached many of them to my bicycle spokes to make it sound a little like a motorcycle. Kids did that kinda stuff a bunch back then, believe it or not. I probably ended up with 30 out of the hundreds I bought over 5 years or so. I gave them to my nephew later on. He said an Orlando Cepeda card out of the group was worth maybe 40 bucks. The rest were worth very little. I probably ruined some good ones with the spokes.

I collected them in the 80’s. I remember studying the cards of my favorite players to memorize their stats. Murphy, Horner, all the Braves really. Still have most of them. Even picked up a Hank Aaron rookie card and some Tobacco cards, included Ty Cobb and Evers, Chance (Cubs from the first part of 1900’s.

I got a bunch of baseball, football, Olympic cards. They aren't worth shit really. Very very very few cards are worth more than $2.

Reactions: Gamecockben1979
I had a bunch as a 60's kid. Attached many of them to my bicycle spokes to make it sound a little like a motorcycle. Kids did that kinda stuff a bunch back then, believe it or not. I probably ended up with 30 out of the hundreds I bought over 5 years or so. I gave them to my nephew later on. He said an Orlando Cepeda card out of the group was worth maybe 40 bucks. The rest were worth very little. I probably ruined some good ones with the spokes.
We did that card on the bike thing too. Thought that was so cool. Simple times.

We did that card on the bike thing too. Thought that was so cool. Simple times.
No telling what value some of the 60, 70 era card values we may have had.
I have original box of PGA Pro Set cards. It has 100 PGA Player cards, 75 PGA and 25 Senior PGA. This box is from 1990.
I have never looked at all of them, this thread peaked my interest.

Reactions: Judson1
I've still got a few favorites from the 70s-80s... Al Hrabosky, Wahoo McDaniels (Yes, the wrestler. He was a Miami Dolphin), and a card we found in the gym at Trenholm Park, a Detroit Tiger named Rusty Kuntz. :>)

I was in Orlando in '92 when McDonalds sold packs and I got a Shaq rookie. That hooked me and I started going to card stores and buying packs after that. I now have boxes of rookies and inserts from the 90s and early 00s but I've started throwing them out in bunches because they're not worth the space they're taking up. I'll keep some of the cool/odd cards like former Gamecocks (Dave Hollins, Jeff Roulston, Sterling Sharpe) and game-used whatevers (jerseys, bats... crazy one was the Mike Piazza game used foul-pole netting... still not sure how that's linked to a specific player) and autographs (Bob Cousy, Frank Howard (sorry)).

What sucks is that being hooked on cards at that time, I bought several packs of this new card game called Magic: The Gathering. We played a few times but didn't get into it. I have no idea where those cards wound up but people go ape-shit over some of those early cards now. Oh well. Maybe some day I'll find them in a closet.

Reactions: Judson1
I collected some in the late eighties and early to mid nineties. I have some of what were considered primo at the time. The rookie cards of Bo Jackson, Barry Bonds, Mark McGuire, to name a few. I think they were worth more then than they are now.

My cousin had a big collection of baseball cards. They were mostly Yankees and Dodgers. This was in the Mid to late 70s and Early to Mid 80s. I remember he had Ken Griffey Sr and Ken Griffey Jr. I have to be honest I have never really Followed MLB so I can't remember the names. He had a famous Yankee in the early to mid 1980s.

I tried to compete with him, but I never had the cash. His Dad, My Uncle had left My Cousin and his Mom, my Aunt for Another Younger Woman. My Uncle Had Owned a Business so he always had the cash. So whatever my cousin wanted and asked for he got.

They bought his Baseball Cards from Dealers and Serious Collectors. He was buying Baseball cards for $50 or $60 a pop. I was lucky if I could scrounge up the cash to by a Pack from the nearest convenience store.

I have to admit, being a kid and teenager I was a Little Jealous and Envious of his Buying Power. Being a Naive and Foolish Youngman I never thought about Behind all that Buying Power was at the Expense of My Cousin's Mom and Dad's Marriage. He had a sizable collection, just can't remember their names except for Griffey Sr and Griffey Jr

I've still got a few favorites from the 70s-80s... Al Hrabosky, Wahoo McDaniels (Yes, the wrestler. He was a Miami Dolphin), and a card we found in the gym at Trenholm Park, a Detroit Tiger named Rusty Kuntz. :>)

I was in Orlando in '92 when McDonalds sold packs and I got a Shaq rookie. That hooked me and I started going to card stores and buying packs after that. I now have boxes of rookies and inserts from the 90s and early 00s but I've started throwing them out in bunches because they're not worth the space they're taking up. I'll keep some of the cool/odd cards like former Gamecocks (Dave Hollins, Jeff Roulston, Sterling Sharpe) and game-used whatevers (jerseys, bats... crazy one was the Mike Piazza game used foul-pole netting... still not sure how that's linked to a specific player) and autographs (Bob Cousy, Frank Howard (sorry)).

What sucks is that being hooked on cards at that time, I bought several packs of this new card game called Magic: The Gathering. We played a few times but didn't get into it. I have no idea where those cards wound up but people go ape-shit over some of those early cards now. Oh well. Maybe some day I'll find them in a closet.
Man. My Dad use to Take me to Wrestling Matches as a kid. My Grandfather, Dad's Dad hated all sports except wrestling. My Grandpa Lived out of town, but sometimes he would visit us and my Dad always had wrestling on the Agenda. Wahoo McDaniel was my favorite.

We saw Ricky Steamboat, Johnny Eagle, Ric Flair vs Harley Race,

Andre the Giant against Black Jack Mulligan. Those were for sure Good Ole' Days.

I spent like 4 months allowance on a Jose Canseco upper deck Rookie card . Thought that it would be worth tons one day . Then it seemed like his career sucked after that home run ball bounced off his noggin in Right field . Not a wise investment

• Haha
Reactions: TAV31 and Judson1
I had the original cards from the AFL. When I was in college.my mom and sister went on a cleaning spree and tossed them.

• Wow
Reactions: TAV31
I've looked them up and my 50,000 or so cards from the mid 80's to early 90's is worth about 1/4 of what it was back then. I thought my cards were my retirement plan back then but honestly, 49,000 of those cards aren't worth a cent. The other 1,000 might be worth $5,000 to $10,000 total.

As a kid we found change and rode bikes to the store to get a pack. Every day it seemed. The gum was a bonus. But we talked and dreamt about rare cards. Sometimes we would get our parents to take us to a card store. We all had our albums too. And there were some players who seemed to be in every pack. I probably had 100 Bobby Bonilla’s. Speaking of him he got his $1.9 mil today. Every July 1st for a few more years at least.

Being a kid in the early 80’s was pretty good. Any baseball card stories from y’all? A friend of mine had bags of cards and did t even know they were worth anything.
Card collecting isn't for kids anymore...sucks...market is in a major boom...guys camping out at big box stores and bribing stockers to let them know when cards come in and buy all of em....one store quit selling in store due to fights... that along with the grading services have made it a business and not a hobby

I used to work at a baseball card shop in Aiken for a few years. So, so fun. I have a bunch of cards still. I'm not even sure what all I have. I know I have the Murphy Stadium Club that the owners of the shop gave me one Christmas. It has the A-Rod and Jeter rookie cards in it if my memory serves correctly (which it may not).

I had a lot of cards from the 1960’s and 1970’s, but I think we ended up throwing them away. Wis I had them back.
Mama tossed a lot of my stuff when off @ school, but she didn’t toss my shoe boxes…..replaced the boxes over the yrs, but not the contents……Yaz ‘61 & Pete’s ‘63 rookie cards:)

Reactions: Crazy Cock 89
I believe that all my cards disappeared during our move while I was a senior in high school.

ADVERTISEMENT