ADVERTISEMENT

Baseball Player Retired Numbers

Which former player deserves to be honored 1st?

• Total voters

Carolina4

Oct 9, 2006
1st, let me start by saying that I don’t believe Numbers should be retired and instead players be honored. As of now only Coach Tanner has been honored (not counting Roth’s bullpen). In my opinion we are way behind honoring deserving players from our rich tradition in baseball. So who would you honor first?

1st, let me start by saying that I don’t believe Numbers should be retired and instead players be honored. As of now only Coach Tanner has been honored (not counting Roth’s bullpen). In my opinion we are way behind honoring deserving players from our rich tradition in baseball. So who would you honor first?

yer showin' yer age

Reactions: Carolina4
yer showin' yer age

Figured there would be some older players as well, but these guys transformed the program into a powerhouse.

Still, we had some success back in the day. Who are some of the older players to consider?

Last edited:
Figured there would be some older players as well, but these guys transformed the program into a powerhouse.

Still, we had some success back in the day. Who are some of the older players to consider?

believe roth & bouknight would have been set up & closer on staffs of mid 70's ..............the first "powerhouse"s that was witnessed n cola.

believe roth & bouknight would have been set up & closer on staffs of mid 70's ..............the first "powerhouse"s that was witnessed n cola.

Bouknight was the Golden Spikes Award winner for all of college baseball. Roth is the most accomplished pitcher in the history of the program. I’m not saying either of these guys have the best stuff as we’ve had more raw talent...but as far as college pitchers go they are two of the best that have ever played the game at this level...not just played at USC.

All of those guys you mentioned would be deserving. I think it’s great the program has so many players worthy of being honored. That’s why I’m surprised to see it hasn’t happened at all with the exception of Tanner.

Reactions: danh011
To me Roth and Price are #1 and #2. Those 2 are more responsible for the 2 NC’s than any other players ... and we had some great ones on the teams they pitched for, but if you removed those 2 from those teams, I don’t believe there would have been any NC’s.

There were quite a number of greats in the decades past, but they did not win championships. Roth had 3 pitches that he threw overhand, sidearm, and submarine which gave hitters 9 different looks. He kept them off balance and guessing, and was a master at getting lazy flies, and weak grounders, Price was just pure smoke with a few mirrors. Both got plenty of K’s to go along with everything else. Both were money in the bank!

To me Roth and Price are #1 and #2. Those 2 are more responsible for the 2 NC’s than any other players ... and we had some great ones on the teams they pitched for, but if you removed those 2 from those teams, I don’t believe there would have been any NC’s.

There were quite a number of greats in the decades past, but they did not win championships. Roth had 3 pitches that he threw overhand, sidearm, and submarine which gave hitters 9 different looks. He kept them off balance and guessing, and was a master at getting lazy flies, and weak grounders, Price was just pure smoke with a few mirrors. Both got plenty of K’s to go along with everything else. Both were money in the bank!

Wingo should probably be in that category too. Keep in mind Roth didn’t bust on the scene until we were deep into the 2010 CWS. So we had made it pretty far already. But his breakout performance was the key no doubt, and he followed it up with 2 more great seasons. Roth got my vote. After Roth I probably would consider Bouknight because he basically won the Hesiman Trophy for College Baseball. After that a position player. I do believe Landon Powell was a great catcher / leader. He came back for his senior season too. He’s one of the guys that laid the foundation for this program to be in position for the 2010, 2011, 2012 teams to make history.

I’m sure some of the older guys have cases equally as compelling.

Reactions: wallycock
Roth definitely!
Other=Wingo.!
Those plays he turned against Florida and Virgina in the CWS was nothing short of miraculous and kept us from losing the series!

Reactions: wallycock
I’m personally fine with it but to me the standard has to be high. If the Yankees can retire as many numbers they have and still field a team we will be okay.

Earl Bass, Jackie Bradley Jr, Michael Roth, Kip Bouknight & Bobby Richardson.

It’s a shame it’s too late to honor Bass in person. Don’t let the opportunity slip for the others. I don’t like the Yankees but we are dang sure close to the Yankees of college baseball....maybe more like the St Louis Cardinals? Rich history & great fan support.

First in my mind is Roth. No one catapulted our entire program as much as Michael Roth.

Last edited:
Roth definitely!
Other=Wingo.!
Those plays he turned against Florida and Virgina in the CWS was nothing short of miraculous and kept us from losing the series!

Wingo = great memories and solid player, but not retired jersey caliber.

Kinda like Sid Bream and Francisco Cabrera. As a Braves fan I’ll never forget them. I won’t forget Wingo and his play during our run to the title. Can’t retire his number though. Too many guys ahead of him.

The depth of talent that has run through our program is amazing... Roth, Bougknight, Martz, and Bass were national players of the year. There are close to 50 players who deserve to have their uniform retired. I wish we would put plaques and stars all around the stadium. Also Bobby Richardson, June Raines, and Sarge Frye need a spot of recognition

The depth of talent that has run through our program is amazing... Roth, Bougknight, Martz, and Bass were national players of the year. There are close to 50 players who deserve to have their uniform retired. I wish we would put plaques and stars all around the stadium. Also Bobby Richardson, June Raines, and Sarge Frye need a spot of recognition

I’d be fine with the plaque idea. Maybe even do an area like Yankee Stadium has. I agree though, we are fortunate to have had so many great players come through this program.

Coach Richardson first and foremost, and June. They laid the groundwork for what we enjoy today.

As for players, we've had far TOO many good players to honor them all, as they so deserve. We'd have jerseys everywhere along the outfield wall.

If anything, we should have the CWS MVPs noted - JBJr. and Scott Wingo. Also Kip for winning Golden Spikes.

Last edited:
Best player to sign with South Carolina but never enroll ......... Wade Boggs, he was also recruited by football as a QB and a left footed kicker

Other names could also be Drew Meyer and Aaron Rawl. Wasn’t Yaron Peters the SEC Player of the Year?

Other names could also be Drew Meyer and Aaron Rawl. Wasn’t Yaron Peters the SEC Player of the Year?
Yaron had the best one year career in the history of the program .357 BA 29 HR (single season record) 95 RBI (single season record) 106 hits (#2 for single season) total bases 245(single season record) .757 slugging percentage (#2 for single season)

Last edited:
Wingo = great memories and solid player, but not retired jersey caliber.

Kinda like Sid Bream and Francisco Cabrera. As a Braves fan I’ll never forget them. I won’t forget Wingo and his play during our run to the title. Can’t retire his number though. Too many guys ahead of him.
We dont win the CWS against UF without Wingo. I'd hang his Jersey for sure

Reactions: Rooster101

This is where I agree with the plaque idea. Wingo may not have had the career to retire his jersey compared to other Gamecock greats. But this allows more players to be honored and a description as to why they are being honored. No doubt Wingo deserves that. As does Whit Merrifield for the walk-off hit to deliver the University’s 1st National Championship in a major sport. So instead of retiring jerseys, I’m now in favor of the plaques. Sort of a Gamecock Walk of Fame around the outfield wall outside the stadium.

This is where I agree with the plaque idea. Wingo may not have had the career to retire his jersey compared to other Gamecock greats. But this allows more players to be honored and a description as to why they are being honored. No doubt Wingo deserves that. As does Whit Merrifield for the walk-off hit to deliver the University’s 1st National Championship in a major sport. So instead of retiring jerseys, I’m now in favor of the plaques. Sort of a Gamecock Walk of Fame around the outfield wall outside the stadium.
What would be really cool is a plaque with a highlight video of their performances like on a mini IPAD above it. Of course that would have obstacles to overcome like weather and power. Maybe it could done in the concourse area?

What would be really cool is a plaque with a highlight video of their performances like on a mini IPAD above it. Of course that would have obstacles to overcome like weather and power. Maybe it could done in the concourse area?

Would require a lot of updating from year to year but I’m sure there is some sort of way to accomplish this. Or maybe one area where fans can select from the players to view a short video ahowing their highlights. It’s a good idea.

Reactions: South Cack

Absolutely. He is an all around great guy too. One night while Wingo was signing baseballs after a game in Greenville, my son asked him if he could get Ray Tanner to sign a ball. Without hesitation he grabbed the ball, ran all the way across the field where Tanner was doing an interview and got him to sign the ball and brought it back to us. He remembered my son at every game we attended after that. He is one of my favorite Gamecocks of all time!

When did you graduate from Carolina?

Reactions: Thigh Man

Really like this idea. Like Dave Hollins. Had a good career at Carolina, but not all over the record book. Had a solid MLB career. The type of guy we should recognize.

Wingo was a solid player and as great an ambassador for USC as you could hope for. However if you retire his jersey do you realize how many other players would have a case? We would run out of jerseys.

I like the plaque idea. The Braves do this with the “Braves Hall of Fame.” I would co sign on Wingo getting this honor. There are lots of players in the Braves Hall of Fame, but few jerseys retired. I like this idea a lot for Carolina baseball.

The Braves have this in their concourse area. It certainly is feasible, but our athletic department isn’t known for this type of proactive thinking.

Without Christian Walker, there would not have been a Michael Roth against clemssux in 2010. Just saying...

When did you graduate from Carolina?

The dude had 12 posts in 12 years and now in the past week you can't shut the son-of-a-bitch up. Not only that but, suddenly he's an authority on everything. I don't think he's a Tater ... not smart enough ... probably just using his Daddy's password.

The dude had 12 posts in 12 years and now in the past week you can't shut the son-of-a-bitch up. Not only that but, suddenly he's an authority on everything. I don't think he's a Tater ... not smart enough ... probably just using his Daddy's password.

Good grief. Apologize if I ruined your week by discussing things on a discussion board.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT