ADVERTISEMENT

Baseball players out there. Which is more difficult to do in a heavy rain?

UpstateGC

Gold Member
Jul 31, 2007
Pitch the ball effectively from the mound or hit the ball at the plate?

As long as the ump keeps cycling fresh, dry baseballs, neither becomes difficult. The ground ball (infield or outfield) that has to be scooped from wet grass and a throw made is more difficult. After that, more dry balls back to the mound. Never thought I'd say "more dry balls back to the mound", but there it is.
ashamed0002.r191677.gif

This post was edited on 4/18 10:22 PM by G-C-Gamecock

Definitely hitting. Having to deal with rain dripping off your helmet or getting in your eyes, while trying to see the ball. Then I'd say fielding the ball. As a shortstop, I used to hate fielding and throwing a wet baseball. Pitching isn't as big of a problem as long as the ump keeps recycling in dry balls.

The ball isn't the worst part about pitching.... Depending on how heavy the rain is... It can get muddy fast and you have trouble planting your front leg to keep from slipping and pushing off the mud and wet rubber ( people will have fun with that one) is the worst part.

Originally posted by GarnetBlood80:
Definitely hitting. Having to deal with rain dripping off your helmet or getting in your eyes, while trying to see the ball. Then I'd say fielding the ball. As a shortstop, I used to hate fielding and throwing a wet baseball. Pitching isn't as big of a problem as long as the ump keeps recycling in dry balls.
Seems like the pitcher would have an advantage over the hitter in a steady rain.

Pitching, and it ain't close. You can not keep a ball dry in a heavy rain.

Pitching is much harder because it's very difficult to keep your footing on a wet mound.

Why not throw a spitter? Just make sure that the ball is wetter on one side than the other.

Back in the day, HS baseball where you didn't have 1,000 balls to switch out; I remember throwing some baseballs as heavy as shot puts. College was a little better. Many more balls get thrown out and become BP baseballs.

Originally posted by HuntsvilleCock:

Back in the day, HS baseball where you didn't have 1,000 balls to switch out; I remember throwing some baseballs as heavy as shot puts.
That is how I ruined my arm (that and no one to show me the proper mechanics). Coaches sucked, my parents were disinterested and I didn't know any better. To this day, still have problems with my shoulder and elbow. Now this was really back in the day (mid 70's), and it cost me at least a good shot at a college career.

Parents should really make sure their kid is taken care of if he pitches.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT