ADVERTISEMENT

Basketball coaching question

vacock#

Oct 26, 1998
How do you coach players not to turn the ball over, in particular, making bad passes? I’m thinking of Hassani Gravett. He is better than many of the other guards but can’t seem to stop making bad passes. IMHO

How do you coach players not to turn the ball over, in particular, making bad passes? I’m thinking of Hassani Gravett. He is better than many of the other guards but can’t seem to stop making bad passes. IMHO

more motion in your offer creates better passing angles thus fewer turnovers. We face a lot of zone the offense slows and stagnates. To avoid this our guards have to penetrate and pull up for the midrange or kick for an open three. Teams will continue to zone to keep the ball from Silva. The only way to crack the zone is penetration and great shooting. Good zone defense limits passing lanes.

It's all about taking care of the ball and having the proper mindset. That should be coaching. Making weak lob passes make no sense.

Part of it is talent. Being able to deliver a pin-point pass to the corner while driving down the lane against heavy-handed defense at top speed isn't a given. Some players just can't do it.
Part of it is coaching. When coach makes you run in practice for careless passes, or pulls you from a game for a lazy pass that you should have stepped into, either a player learns or he suffers.
Part of it is system/offense vs defense. How difficult is the pass you are being asked to make? How open is your teammate? How good is the defense?

You have to have the players and you have to have the coaching.

Too late for Gravett but someone should introduce him to a bounce pass!

He is good shooter off the catch but there should be no circumstances where he brings the ball up the court.

Just like any other football players who fumbles the ball, make them carry the ball around campus and have teammates try to take it from them...

Basketball players, make them dribble the ball around campus and have the teammates take it from them...

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT