ADVERTISEMENT

Basketball in a football stadium

dav8800

Aug 14, 2004
i was in MSG last weekend and the game was fine to watch from any of the seats. Now that's it is moving to a football stadium, has anyone ever watched a basketball game at a football stadium on here? I was considering just buying a 400 level seat, but if it's as bad as I'm thinking it may be, I should probably just spend my money at a bar and watch the game in phx. Lol. Any thoughts?

Watched Olympic basketball in the Georgia Dome in 1996. It was very odd, but you get used to it. Definitely not a reason to skip out if you are already going to be in town.

Johnnie....good point, i had forgotten about the Olympics. I also saw basketball and gymnastics at the Georgia Dome and both were awesome experiences.

I once watched a basketball game in the Superdome from the upper level and wished I'd brought binoculars to the game. It was OK for the $20 I paid for the ticket, but I'd hate to pay multiple hundreds of $$$ to watch the game from up there.

To be blunt, it's awful. I've been to Hoosier Dome, The Georgia dome, Lucas Oil, and one or two others for basketball and it's terrible. The final 4 setups, in particular, are bad b/c they're set up for 70,000+ spectators.

I tend to think it's worth it to spend a ton for good seats, but if the budget is tight, it's still very cool to be there (especially if you think this is a once-in-a-lifetime type of event).

i was in MSG last weekend and the game was fine to watch from any of the seats. Now that's it is moving to a football stadium, has anyone ever watched a basketball game at a football stadium on here? I was considering just buying a 400 level seat, but if it's as bad as I'm thinking it may be, I should probably just spend my money at a bar and watch the game in phx. Lol. Any thoughts?

The SEC tournament that use to be played in Atlanta was a football stadium. I've been many times. No problems with seating

The SEC tournament that use to be played in Atlanta was a football stadium. I've been many times. No problems with seating
That's because the Georgia Dome put up temporary bleachers at "mid-field", and in effect halving the gridiron seating capacity for hoops and allowing spectators to be closer to the action. I saw us play Auburn in an SECT game at the dome, and sat in those temporary bleachers.

They won't do this in Glendale.

I can't speak on the bleachers. I didn't know it was even the question. I sat in the actual permanent seats and they were fine. I didn't sit behind the curtain or on the bench with the players and these NFL stadiums are built where no matter where you sit the seats aren't so bad. It's not like Williams Bruce with nose bleed seats

To be blunt, it's awful. I've been to Hoosier Dome, The Georgia dome, Lucas Oil, and one or two others for basketball and it's terrible. The final 4 setups, in particular, are bad b/c they're set up for 70,000+ spectators.

I tend to think it's worth it to spend a ton for good seats, but if the budget is tight, it's still very cool to be there (especially if you think this is a once-in-a-lifetime type of event).
At this point, it's a "Once in forever" type of event. I'm sure it won't be our last, but look at the Ducks. They weren't even called the Ducks the last time Oregon went, and I doubt anyone alive actually remembers it. Hopefully we can build success upon our success. But if that always worked, no one new would ever win anything.

That's because the Georgia Dome put up temporary bleachers at "mid-field", and in effect halving the gridiron seating capacity for hoops and allowing spectators to be closer to the action. I saw us play Auburn in an SECT game at the dome, and sat in those temporary bleachers.

While they don't do that for Final Four (court is at midfield instead of only one half), they do bring in temporary bleachers to extend the seating for the lower decks to reach closer to the court. Extends the length of the stands and lowers the angle, to get more people in lower deck. Carolina sections are 110-114, they shouldn't be too bad, and if you get 110 or 111 they should be excellent.

Here is how it looks. http://www.azcentral.com/story/spor...ur-college-basketball-ticket-prices/99668412/

Reactions: tngamecock#
Watched Olympic basketball in the Georgia Dome in 1996. It was very odd, but you get used to it. Definitely not a reason to skip out if you are already going to be in town.

I went to the Sweet 16 in the Georgia Dome in '96 (UMass vs. Arkansas, Georgetown vs. Texas Tech). It was like watching a normal game. I will say, however, that I was 3 rows behind the benches. From other areas it might have been bad.

sugar bowl basketball tourney n dome '76, cocks, indy, jawja & cincy.....bleachers set up on floor

I went to the Sweet 16 in the Georgia Dome in '96 (UMass vs. Arkansas, Georgetown vs. Texas Tech). It was like watching a normal game. I will say, however, that I was 3 rows behind the benches. From other areas it might have been bad.

For Sweet 16 they put the court at one endzone and put in temporary stands at midfield. Basically cut the Georgia Dome in half. For this, the court will be at midfield and seating will be similar to normal football set up.

It's awful. Even the semi-good seats. I never got used to it, to the point it kind of felt like I wasn't even there. (it wasn't the Zags, obviously). Just a personal opinion but it would be fun to be around the atmosphere around town and the bars, arena, hotels, etc. but seeing the actual game was terrible.
As bad as that is, I think it's even a bigger screw-job to the kids. Our teams have busted their asses to get to this mini-tournament, and basketball is supposed to be in places built to play basketball, it has a certain feel. And, no matter how much experience a team might have in the FF, it has to take a big period of adjustment.
NCAA greed, don't they make enough money? It robs the kids of the type of environment they feel comfortable playing ball in, in the biggest games of their lives.

Reactions: uscdoug

you are correct. I went to the SEC tournament there too.

Reactions: atl-cock
How many actual seats are they selling..? If it's over 35k, it would be absurd.

Watched the 1982 Final Four at the dome in New Orleans. It was fine.

First thing to check would be to see if the Blimp has any extra seats left.

This. Totally different setup than a final four b/c they effective use half of the stadium for those SEC Tourneys of old (so the capacity was around 40,000 instead of the 70,000+ that will be at the final four.

It's awful. Even the semi-good seats. I never got used to it, to the point it kind of felt like I wasn't even there. (it wasn't the Zags, obviously). Just a personal opinion but it would be fun to be around the atmosphere around town and the bars, arena, hotels, etc. but seeing the actual game was terrible.
As bad as that is, I think it's even a bigger screw-job to the kids. Our teams have busted their asses to get to this mini-tournament, and basketball is supposed to be in places built to play basketball, it has a certain feel. And, no matter how much experience a team might have in the FF, it has to take a big period of adjustment.
NCAA greed, don't they make enough money? It robs the kids of the type of environment they feel comfortable playing ball in, in the biggest games of their lives.

100%. It's terrible for the kids and for most spectators. i suppose it's a bit better for the common fan b/c it keeps ticket prices from being even more outrageous. Think about how awful prices would be if they held the final 4 at Madison square garden or the staples center r some of these high-end NBA arenas that seat 18,000-20,000.

So many fans would be left out in a smaller venue, though, as only the super rich would be able to afford to go. We had close to 10,000 fans at MSG and it wouldn't shock me if we had 20,000 in Phoenix.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT