ADVERTISEMENT

basketball is just tough to watch....not just carolina basketball...

Cybercock

Sep 9, 2001
Columbia SC
There is absolutely no consistency in the officiating from game to game or even from possession to possession. Just difficult to enjoy when you never know what the heck you are going to get.

It doesn't help when it is Carolina. I just don't see any top 25 type players at all on our team!

90% of what they call is subjective ticky tack BS, AND THEN we see a coach Unload on the refs, come all the way out on the court to SCREAM AT THEM and curse their name... And the ref doesn't even T the guy up!?! WTH was that? They looked like they were scared of him! There were three no calls that went Auburn's way late in the game that could have really helped us. One over the back, a hold- BLATANT HOLD- on Henry and the non- Technical against their coach. Any one of those gets called and we are right back in the game. To be fair there was one play where their guy stole a pass going to Thornwell that may not have been a foul and they called one (again evidence of the insanely tight game they were calling)... So we can basically say maybe the no call on the hold was a make up... But how do you call such a tight PANSY ASS game all night long and let calls like the Hold, OTB and T go without a whistle? Ridiculous.

There was one blocking foul they called on Carrera earlier that was clearly an offensive foul as well, but I hate it when he flops so much! It is great when it works, but it only maybe works 30% of the time and when he does that lame flop! he doesn't even get his damn hands up tot ry to affect the shot! He just sticks his chest out and falls over when they touch him! He needs to stop... Still... When his feet are planted as long as they were on that particular play and they still charge into him, it is an offensive penalty and they blew it!

I agree overall, basketball is pretty awful to watch now. The teas- much like they are trying to do in football- are RUINING THE GAME. Basketball is supposed to be a game of strategy, finesse, skill and athleticism... It is turning into soccer where the goal is more to try to draw fouls and flop to make it seem like you were hit than it is to try to score and get open looks! If you get hit in the act of making a shot, fine... Call it! But all this hand check, barely brushed a finger across the guy as he moved by them, ticky tack BS needs to go. There needs to be some allowance for a ref to make a determination that the offensive player was just faking and trying to draw a foul instead of a guy legitimately trying to make a shot who we as actually fouled. The hand checking rules is LAME and needs to go away, the rules where they replay damn near every call to see if it was flagrant or not are stupid and should be changed, it is slowing the game down and makes no sense... There are a dozen things they need to change about the way games are called AND PLAYED today... But it will likely only keep getting worse.

Basketball is actually great to watch and follow--when you're winning! Sadly, we don't know what that's like. No disrespect to women's basketball, but it's not the same.

I hate the fact that 9 times out of 10 the favored team or presumed better teams gets the call. You watch around the basket the presumed better team can block shots repeatedly with contact and no foul is called, the lesser team makes the same play and it will be a foul. It seems as though refs think, well this is a better more athletic player so he can make the play but the supposed lesser player obviously cannot make the exact same play. It is pretty obvious to me.

Originally posted by Cybercock:
There is absolutely no consistency in the officiating from game to game or even from possession to possession. Just difficult to enjoy when you never know what the heck you are going to get.
I don't know what you think "Carolina Basketball" is because we've bee pretty bad for a pretty long time, and we are just trying to play any kind of decent basketball well enough to scratch out a win here and there.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT