ADVERTISEMENT

Basketball Lineup is a Mystery to Me

Giving up steals at the top of the key on offense reminds me of watching my little brother @ 7&8 year olds playing basketball
Blocked shots and poor passing too. I've never seen the number of blocked shots suffered by our bigs or the number of times we turned the ball over due to extremely poor passing. This is Frank's 6th season. You'd think he'd either have a more fully developed offense by now, or like in football he would have brought in an offensive-minded assistant coach to help out.

Sorry, that's not what post #6 says. I acknowledged he got 7 rebounds in the game, but explained why that was negated by turnovers and poor play. Read much?
I replied to your opening post. Comprehend much?

I replied to your opening post. Comprehend much?
No, you responded to post #27. My original post was #1. I had already addressed your point in post #6. Apparently you're no better at math than reading. Perhaps your strong suit is History?

Reactions: drawplay000
No, you responded to post #27. My original post was #1. I had already addressed your point in post #6. Apparently you're no better at math than reading. Perhaps your strong suit is History?
I replied to post #1. If you decided after you posted it that it was idiotic, there is a wrench icon under it that you could have used to edit it.

I replied to post #1. If you decided after you posted it that it was idiotic, there is a wrench icon under it that you could have used to edit it.
Well, I guess we can rule out History as well if you cannot even tell what post you replied to.

Kinda have a theory based on what I've seen watching college sports, and in particular basketball (from when I actually followed it, and would make it a point to watch say #3 Providence and #7 Boston College go at it).

And that point is this: What you see with a freshman is what they are going to be. Sure they get better. Maybe you have an athletic stringbean that blossoms with maturity and a weight program.

But there is no "make yourself a player." You either see signs these guys are going to really contribute from the get go, or they never do.

And based on that, last year's recruiting class only came up with Minaya. Does anyone think Cudd or Haase will ever develop or play if a similar guy to SIlva or even Kotsar comes in?

Also a few people have said it takes over a year to learn to play guard in Frank Martin's system. Well besides being a real weakness of that system, Beatty doesn't look like he will ever do much, even to be a kind of role player like Notice.

As a fan, I want Martin to succeed. I think he is ethical (or at least says the right things). His teams usually play hard.

But at the end of the day you are what your record says you are. And last year's tourney run aside, I'm really not seeing much evidence we are getting better. What we say this season was pretty much what we say year two and three as regards being competitive in the league.

We'll see. If I was Tanner, I'd definitely be inclined to give Martin a few more years. Love to see the guy here long term and successful.

But things have to start moving. And in an alternate dimension where we somehow hired Greg Marshal instead of him, I kinda think we'd be a perennial NCAA tourney team by now.

Before anyone brings up Coach K at Duke, well if it is ever going to happen at a stop usually you see signs of it before now. And like I said other than last year, we are no better in a lot of ways than Martin's second year here.
You can't really compare our situation to Duke's. Coach K took over in 1980 and Duke had just played for a National Title in 1978 and were in the tournament again in 79. Coach K took over a team that was a tourney team. Ironically, the coach that was his predecessor at Duke is the guy we hired. We created the vacancy that got Coach K hired. Maybe we are the team that should have hired the up and comer instead of going after the older coach at Duke who had a heart condition. Does anyone really believe he could have duplicated his success at Carolina that he had at Duke? I honestly don't think so. Duke is a basketball school who was already on the map of the college basketball world, playing in the ACC. We were a team middling along as an independent/Metro conference. As beneficial as joining the SEC has been for football, leaving the ACC in basketball was equally detrimental.

Reason why I put that up, is usually people bring up Beamer at VT and Coach K when things don't seem to be progressing at a given college situation. It didn't take him as long at Duke as it took Beamer at VT, but Duke did have a snakebit rep for a bit in the beginng of his tenure. Missed out on a number of big time recruits several times (Chris Mullin and I think another guy that went to St. Johns too). And dropped some big games that guys like Bobby K. found a way to win at similar points in their career.

Just saying it wasn't some overnight thing at Duke compared to... well a guy like Marshall at Wichita State for example. Different situation and conference, but they started playing at a high level pretty quickly and usually make the tourney.

Reason why I put that up, is usually people bring up Beamer at VT and Coach K when things don't seem to be progressing at a given college situation. It didn't take him as long at Duke as it took Beamer at VT, but Duke did have a snakebit rep for a bit in the beginng of his tenure. Missed out on a number of big time recruits several times (Chris Mullin and I think another guy that went to St. Johns too). And dropped some big games that guys like Bobby K. found a way to win at similar points in their career.

Just saying it wasn't some overnight thing at Duke compared to... well a guy like Marshall at Wichita State for example. Different situation and conference, but they started playing at a high level pretty quickly and usually make the tourney.
What?!? Coach K made it to the NCAAs in his 4th year at Duke (and has been going ever since). Coach K took over a program that had been to 3 straight NCAA appearances.

It took Marshall until his 5th year at Wichita State to make the NCAA tournament (and like Coach K has been going ever since) and he took over a program that had a losing record in the MVC the year before.

Wtf ru talking about? Look at the quote in post 25!
If you are too dumb to put numbers in chronological order and read and comprehend the posts therein, there just isn't anything I (or anyone else) can do for you. Spoon feeding it to you once could be attributable to an oversight on your part. Twice, however, indicates you have an intellectual problem.

If you are too dumb to put numbers in chronological order and read and comprehend the posts therein, there just isn't anything I (or anyone else) can do for you. Spoon feeding it to you once could be attributable to an oversight on your part. Twice, however, indicates you have an intellectual problem.
If you make an inaccurate OP then you need to expect corrections. I don't know what else to tell you.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT