ADVERTISEMENT

Basketball Recruiting - Mens and Womens

JGH 35

Oct 22, 2013
I just don't understand why we are not doing better in recruiting for basketball after a NC and a Final Four appearance for our teams. It looks like Frank has forgotten to recruit this year. We are at the bottom of the SEC so far with only one recruit for next year and that one does not appear to be a game changer type of player. With Silva leaving after next year and with Booker and Myers leaving after this year, it seems he should be stocking up on some very good talent for the future, but so far, he hasn't.

On the girls side, I am not understanding Dawn's approach here. She has signed only 2 players. One of those is one of the top PGs in the country, but she already has 4 PGs on the roster for next year. We're going to be a team of all PGs. After next year when Jennings leaves the tallest player we will have will be 6'2". We will have little presence in the paint after that. It seems like she would be recruiting some bigs this year. If not, I think it will be hard for us to maintain our status as a top team in the country, or even in our own conference.

Both have actually been working very hard but have just missed out on some very, very good prospects. Frank was a final 2 or 3 on about 4 players rated 4 star or better but just could not bring them in. One was Zion which we all knew was a long shot, another went to vandy and one to NC State that I remember. Still working on one out in las Vegas and maybe a juco or grad transfer at this point. The commit he has was one of the hottest players and fastest risers in high school this year. Came out of nowhere somewhat and is considered by many experts as a very good player and very under-rated.He has been hard at work but just missed out. Next year he is very high with some in state players that are very very highly rated and is the favorite of a couple of them. next years recruiting will be very good I feel.
As for dawn, it was a bit of the same thing. She had scholarships to give and was on her way to practically getting a whole new starting 4 or 5 of top 10 5 star players. She started with getting the point guard she wanted and top PG in the country. She then was final 2 of Decosta to take wing spot and she went to Baylor (why there I have no idea). She lost the 6-5 post player to UConn even though Dawn had been on her for a very long time and thought it was in the bag. i think dawn was a little shocked at that one over all of them. Finally we missed out on national #1 to UConn but were late to the party on that one and only got a visit after getting Law from Tenn on the staff. Had dawn gotten those 4 players, it would have made the Michigan Fab 5 look like a JV team.
It has been disappointing to say the least based on last seasons results, but to say they have not tried would be very incorrect. You cant ever really tell what a kid will do.
Also, in todays age, many players want a coach that will treat them like an all star and baby them through school. Dawn and Frank will NOT do that to any player. That is a detriment to our recruiting but it is a major loss to those players. They would come out of school as better people if they played for them.

Reactions: roosterbell
I just don't understand why we are not doing better in recruiting for basketball after a NC and a Final Four appearance for our teams. It looks like Frank has forgotten to recruit this year. We are at the bottom of the SEC so far with only one recruit for next year and that one does not appear to be a game changer type of player. With Silva leaving after next year and with Booker and Myers leaving after this year, it seems he should be stocking up on some very good talent for the future, but so far, he hasn't.

On the girls side, I am not understanding Dawn's approach here. She has signed only 2 players. One of those is one of the top PGs in the country, but she already has 4 PGs on the roster for next year. We're going to be a team of all PGs. After next year when Jennings leaves the tallest player we will have will be 6'2". We will have little presence in the paint after that. It seems like she would be recruiting some bigs this year. If not, I think it will be hard for us to maintain our status as a top team in the country, or even in our own conference.

Frank Martin has shown a steady pattern of recruiting foreign players. They are not always the best and most talented. I have noticed over the years that they tend to value the opportunity to get a college degree, stay four years, have a strong work ethic, honor the advice of adults, can take discipline and want to learn. They come from countries and cultures where these things are taught and honored. These are strong characteristics that I wish were common for the "one and done" kids who think the university owes them pampering and are spoiled brats.

As for the women and Dawn, I tend to share your concern about some taller players. I cannot question a coach who owns the SEC tournament, a National Championship and regular season championships. She is the sheriff in the SEC now. Her record is putting pressure on the Tenn coach and others. However, I do want to see her get some taller young ladies to play under the basketball. Maybe a junior college player or two with height can be brought in for next year. I suspect she is doing her homework and knows the needs better than I do. We will have a strong, quick and talented team next year. UCONN has won many championships without a really big front court.

Frank Martin has shown a steady pattern of recruiting foreign players. They are not always the best and most talented. I have noticed over the years that they tend to value the opportunity to get a college degree, stay four years, have a strong work ethic, honor the advice of adults, can take discipline and want to learn. They come from countries and cultures where these things are taught and honored. These are strong characteristics that I wish were common for the "one and done" kids who think the university owes them pampering and are spoiled brats.

As for the women and Dawn, I tend to share your concern about some taller players. I cannot question a coach who owns the SEC tournament, a National Championship and regular season championships. She is the sheriff in the SEC now. Her record is putting pressure on the Tenn coach and others. However, I do want to see her get some taller young ladies to play under the basketball. Maybe a junior college player or two with height can be brought in for next year. I suspect she is doing her homework and knows the needs better than I do. We will have a strong, quick and talented team next year. UCONN has won many championships without a really big front court.
We will have 2 girls at 6'2 one at 6'3 and another at 6'4. Thats not bad really. We have just been spoiled with Aja at 6'5. I think all it does is allow us to be much much faster. Alot of guards with the bigs still able to move quick. I think Kiki has really turned the corner the last few weeks and am very excited to see her play next year. i also think Grisset has the energy and speed to play a fast game. It will be very different next year but may be more fun to watch.

We will have 2 girls at 6'2 one at 6'3 and another at 6'4. Thats not bad really. We have just been spoiled with Aja at 6'5. I think all it does is allow us to be much much faster. Alot of guards with the bigs still able to move quick. I think Kiki has really turned the corner the last few weeks and am very excited to see her play next year. i also think Grisset has the energy and speed to play a fast game. It will be very different next year but may be more fun to watch.
There is no 6'4" player on the roster. There are 2 at 6'2" and one, Jennings, at 6'3". She will be a Sr next year. The only forward Dawn has signed thus far is a very highly rated player but she is only 6'.

Reactions: Brace1
There is no 6'4" player on the roster. There are 2 at 6'2" and one, Jennings, at 6'3". She will be a Sr next year. The only forward Dawn has signed thus far is a very highly rated player but she is only 6'.
She may only be 6'0" but she can dunk

She may only be 6'0" but she can dunk
It's good that she is that athletic, but that doesn't make up for lack of size. Devin Downey could dunk, but I don't think we ever entertained the idea of having him play in the post. A tall 6-4 or 6-5 post player with a long wing span is what is needed in the paint - for both rebounding and defense.

I watched South Dakota and South Dakota State last night and Gonzaga and there are very good players available that are not the one and done types. Watch some of these teams in the dance next couple weeks. I would be OK with not trying to attract the Zions of the world and try getting some darn good shooters who understand the game and will stay 3+ years.

I'm more concerned about wings than bigs. But with the proliferation of transfers in todays' game, we can't say for certain what we'll have on the roster in a couple of years, so I'm not overly worried about it.

I really believe Dawn's best recruiting years are ahead of her. Coaching the national team will pay dividends in recruiting down the road.

Recruiting is a years long process, so we wouldn't get the F4/NC bump this season. Starting next season, our recruiting will be helped.
So far as men's recruiting goes, I have no doubt that Coach FM could quite easily get more domestic projects, foreign players who are very coach-able and value education (mentioned by BedoinCock), etc., 3* players who are looking for a great SEC school with really good facilities. However, I keep thinking the reason there are not more who have signed this year, is that Coach FM has good prospects he is holding out for. And, as others have mentioned, recruiting is not a 1 year process.

Any evidence of this, or is it just my baseless feeling?

Last edited:
JFWIW, Miami has signed 0 players in 2018, after signing 3 excellent players in 2017.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT