ADVERTISEMENT

BattleshipTexas, I would love to hear your input on the U. of Texas coaching situation. What do you

Freddie.B.Cocky

Jul 19, 2002
think will happen at the end of the season?

I think Texas is going after Meyer so fast it will make people's head swim.

think will happen at the end of the season?

I think Texas is going after Meyer so fast it will make people's head swim.

It (Urban announced as new coach) may be before the end of the season to salvage this years recruiting class. Obviously Herman hasn't won as much as we want. But that really isn't what has doomed him. This year is a stellar recruiting class in Texas high schools. Herman is getting shut out. They are all going to Ohio State, Alabama, OU, LSU, etc. Herman was supposed to be a great recruiter and he is failing miserably at that. The Brockemeyer brothers (the tackle is the No.1 player in the state on Rivals) are going to Alabama. Their dad was an All American at Texas. The Brockemeyer OT has been going to Texas games and wearing Texas gear since he was in elementary school. The B's have made it clear that Herman is the reason. Many think some of those would come home with a big name like Urban announced. The money is there to do it. It is really just Urban's health and whether he wants to coach again. His ethical issues are a concern for some, but he has sat out long enough that probably doesn't stop the deal. Some feel his wife is reluctant for him to take on the stress of a coaching job again, but he can hire top assistants to diminish that concern.

It (Urban announced as new coach) may be before the end of the season to salvage this years recruiting class. Obviously Herman hasn't won as much as we want. But that really isn't what has doomed him. This year is a stellar recruiting class in Texas high schools. Herman is getting shut out. They are all going to Ohio State, Alabama, OU, LSU, etc. Herman was supposed to be a great recruiter and he is failing miserably at that. The Brockemeyer brothers (the tackle is the No.1 player in the state on Rivals) are going to Alabama. Their dad was an All American at Texas. The Brockemeyer OT has been going to Texas games and wearing Texas gear since he was in elementary school. The B's have made it clear that Herman is the reason. Many think some of those would come home with a big name like Urban announced. The money is there to do it. It is really just Urban's health and whether he wants to coach again. His ethical issues are a concern for some, but he has sat out long enough that probably doesn't stop the deal. Some feel his wife is reluctant for him to take on the stress of a coaching job again, but he can hire top assistants to diminish that concern.
Is this a Herman issue or a Texas issue? I ask in all seriousness. My buddies and I were talking about programs like Michigan, Tennessee, Texas and USC in terms of which would be the best job, and most agreed that Michigan and Texas are shells of what they’ve been as a program, and USC is the best job because the PAC10 really has no one other than Oregon to compete with.

Texas has money and boosters, but they are quickly at risk (if not already) of not being a top tier program...

Is this a Herman issue or a Texas issue? I ask in all seriousness. My buddies and I were talking about programs like Michigan, Tennessee, Texas and USC in terms of which would be the best job, and most agreed that Michigan and Texas are shells of what they’ve been as a program, and USC is the best job because the PAC10 really has no one other than Oregon to compete with.

Texas has money and boosters, but they are quickly at risk (if not already) of not being a top tier program...

I think it is a Herman issue. Texas HS guys like the Brockemeyers want to play there. Successful players are treated like royalty in the state. Go off to Alabama or LSU and have the same success and no one will remember your name in Texas. I think any of those four schools gets the right coach and they will rebound. How many teams the last 20 years have won a championship (or even played for a championship) that aren't an SEC team? USC (3) and Texas (2) have but Michigan (0) and Tennesse (0) haven't. Clemson, FSU, Texas, USC, Ohio state and Miami (2001 so dated) are the only six non-SEC schools who have won. So I wouldn't write them (USC and Texas) off so quickly. Tennessee and Michigan have a lot longer irrelevancy period.

I think it is a Herman issue. Texas HS guys like the Brockemeyers want to play there. Succesful players are treated like royalty in the state. Go off to Alabama or LSU and have the same success and no one will remember your name in Texas. I think any of those four schools gets the right coach and they will rebound. How many teams the last 20 years have won a championship (or even played for a championship) that aren't an SEC team? USC (3) and Texas (2) have but Michigan (0) and Tennesse (0) haven't. Clemson, FSU, Texas, USC, Ohio state and Miami (2001 so dated) are the only six non-SEC schools who have won. So I wouldn't write them (USC and Texas) off so quickly. Tennessee and Michigan have a lot longer irrelevancy period.
That’s fair, but Texas has to get it right soon, or they can fall in the same trap. Certainly, they have the boosters and the money to pay, but they’ve gotten it wrong a few times already, and that inflicts damage on the program. I think fold outside of TX ask the question...

Texas has all the money in the world...why can’t they figure it out?

At some point, that mentality will run into coaching candidates as well...

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT