ADVERTISEMENT

Baylor Lady Bears got a WNBA Coach

Did not see that coming.

But, I think Atlanta Dream is going through some kind of internal beef so Nikki is getting out while she can.

Reactions: winloseortie
Odd choice in my opinion.
Three seasons as a head coach and a losing record. Losing record last two seasons. Clearly she knows the game X and O’s.

Stephanie White is the only other WNBA coach that I know of to cross over to college. I thought she was a good hire and she failed miserably. She did not have the many years of college experience that Collen has. Baylor could have gotten just about anyone, why Collen.

Collen has been given a gem without a matching track record. We all know the first task, save the roster!!! If she can’t do this, I think it is too late to reload with the transfer portal.
Second thing, she has to win the conference and beat Vic, no matter what!! It’s a weak conference if even she loses some players. Even with the loss of Gusters, she has a top 10 roster at the worst.

Going from pro to college is a new career track, as such it will be more hit or miss.

Reactions: USC GRAD 84
Honestly, I think it's a good choice for all parties. Her being a WNBA coach will likely help her attract and keep talent at Baylor, meanwhile she is probably looking at pay raise as well.

These jobs are always hard to replace following somebody who is a legend at the program. I think most of the top college coaches are either happy with where they are at or didn't want to compete with Mulkey's legacy. Not to mention, I don't think Waco is exactly a place everyone is clamoring to move to.

Honestly, I think it's a good choice for all parties. Her being a WNBA coach will likely help her attract and keep talent at Baylor, meanwhile she is probably looking at pay raise as well.

These jobs are always hard to replace following somebody who is a legend at the program. I think most of the top college coaches are either happy with where they are at or didn't want to compete with Mulkey's legacy. Not to mention, I don't think Waco is exactly a place everyone is clamoring to move to.
Huge pay jump up when move from WNBA to college

Getting great reviews from players and former players
Baylor rising senior NaLyssa Smith, the 2021 Wade Trophy winner and No. 1 on ESPN.com's list of its top 25 players for next season, tweeted in response to Collen's hiring: "Time to get to work!"

time to get to work ! 💫💫💫 https://t.co/5Ag0UmNYKh

— #1 (@NaLyssaSmith) May 3, 2021

Kalanni Brown, former player and starting center for Atlanta Dream also gave big endorsement. Looking hopeful for her to save the roster

Reactions: Gamekem
With regards to Steph White and Collen's WNBA careers - both had good seasons when Cathings and McCoughtry was on their respected rosters. As soon as those players left the ship started sinking.

Yes, if she can keep Baylor's roster in check she has a good chance to have success there. However, besides McCoughtry's exit the Atl Dream team was still the same from her 1st season - and they ended up in the lottery the following year. From Coach of the Year to lottery the next. I knew it was a farce since then.

But, let's see what she do.

PS winloseortie Kalani Brown is not the starting center for the Dream, and has struggled since she got to the W. But, I'm sure her voice still carries over at Baylor.

Reactions: winloseortie
With regards to Steph White and Collen's WNBA careers - both had good seasons when Cathings and McCoughtry was on their respected rosters. As soon as those players left the ship started sinking.

Yes, if she can keep Baylor's roster in check she has a good chance to have success there. However, besides McCoughtry's exit the Atl Dream team was still the same from her 1st season - and they ended up in the lottery the following year. From Coach of the Year to lottery the next. I knew it was a farce since then.

But, let's see what she do.

PS winloseortie Kalani Brown is not the starting center for the Dream, and has struggled since she got to the W. But, I'm sure her voice still carries over at Baylor.
Thanks for updating my lack of knowledge👍

Baylor missed out on a great chance to hire one of the best and upcoming young coaches in Molly Miller. Currently she is the head coach at Grand Canyon. She also had an incredible coaching stop at Druyi University where she tremendous success. If I were an athletic director needing a womens basketball coach I would hire Molly Miller in a heartbeat. Someone is going to get a great young coach who has what I call the "it" factor.

Baylor missed out on a great chance to hire one of the best and upcoming young coaches in Molly Miller. Currently she is the head coach at Grand Canyon. She also had an incredible coaching stop at Druyi University where she tremendous success. If I were an athletic director needing a womens basketball coach I would hire Molly Miller in a heartbeat. Someone is going to get a great young coach who has what I call the "it" factor.
Looked her up. Top flight record, but it has been at Division 2 Drury. She is only 34. You don’t give her the keys to a national program like Baylor. I am sure she will succeed, but D-1 experience required unless you are coming from playing time in WNBA a la Kara Lawson at Duke

She also has had sucess at Grand Canyon University. Look with all the title 9 issues that Baylor has had over the last several years this lady is one that you take a chance on. Look at USC when they hired Dawn Staley, sure she coached at Temple, but she wanted to take on a higher challenge when she inquired about the USC job. Eric Hyman took a chance as did the bot who went along with Hyman. The first few years at USC were hard and of course you had your detractors and players who left. Example Kelsi Bone, she could not take the discipline that Staley had and she mentioned that USC could not win a national championship. Well as Paul Harvey once said "you know the rest of the story". I think a school who wanted to take a chance on an up and coming coach Molly Miller may be the one. I mean the coach at Tennessee whether you want to admit it or not she is not going to take UT back to the days of Pat Summit. Noone is. Too many schools are putting resources into the womens basketball program. This is just my opinion, when you see the field of 64 announced this year for the ncaa womens basketball tournament you will see the name of Grand Canyon. Just my opinion.

She also has had sucess at Grand Canyon University. Look with all the title 9 issues that Baylor has had over the last several years this lady is one that you take a chance on. Look at USC when they hired Dawn Staley, sure she coached at Temple, but she wanted to take on a higher challenge when she inquired about the USC job. Eric Hyman took a chance as did the bot who went along with Hyman. The first few years at USC were hard and of course you had your detractors and players who left. Example Kelsi Bone, she could not take the discipline that Staley had and she mentioned that USC could not win a national championship. Well as Paul Harvey once said "you know the rest of the story". I think a school who wanted to take a chance on an up and coming coach Molly Miller may be the one. I mean the coach at Tennessee whether you want to admit it or not she is not going to take UT back to the days of Pat Summit. Noone is. Too many schools are putting resources into the womens basketball program. This is just my opinion, when you see the field of 64 announced this year for the ncaa womens basketball tournament you will see the name of Grand Canyon. Just my opinion.
DS had 8 years at D1 Temple with 6 trips to NCAA Tourney. It was a moribund program prior to DS. In addition she was playing pro ball at the same time at an all pro level with three Olympic gold medals, PLEASE don’t group Molly Miller with DS experience wise prior to being hired here, it’s embarrassing.

I know nothing about her being a title IX champion. The WNBA is the most politically progressive pro league in America. Nicki Collen has navigated having Trumper Kelly Loeffler as an owner coupled with the most outspoken roster in the league.
I’m not dissing Miller, if she succeeds at GCU, she will a shot at the big time. But a top 5 job in the country right now? No!! Hell, Auburn sucks and they hired maybe the top assistant in the country.....if a school like Auburn hired her I would get it, but Baylor or any top 25 team, No.

PS We went looking for DS first and we paid top dollar to get her down here. In fact most on this board bitched for 5 years that we were idiots for over paying her. She was on the national radar to move up.

Last edited:
I call it "hot." Need a bit more experience, though, to land a top job like Baylor.

sn2wfQ1m_400x400.jpg

DS had 8 years at D1 Temple with 6 trips to NCAA Tourney. It was a moribund program prior to DS. In addition she was playing pro ball at the same time at an all pro level with three Olympic gold medals, PLEASE don’t group Molly Miller with DS experience wise prior to being hired here, it’s embarrassing.

I know nothing about her being a title IX champion. The WNBA is the most politically progressive pro league in America. Nicki Collen has navigated having Trumper Kelly Loeffler as an owner coupled with the most outspoken roster in the league.
I’m not dissing Miller, if she succeeds at GCU, she will a shot at the big time. But a top 5 job in the country right now? No!! Hell, Auburn sucks and they hired maybe the top assistant in the country.....if a school like Auburn hired her I would get it, but Baylor or any top 25 team, No.

PS We went looking for DS first and we paid top dollar to get her down here. In fact most on this board bitched for 5 years that we were idiots for over paying her. She was on the national radar to move up.
What you would call "stepping out of the box" and making a bold move. I would hire her over the coach at Auburn, Vandy. Just saying this lady has the "it factor". Look at what the WNBA coach did at Vandy. She was a total flop. Dawn did her best to keep the score down, but one can only do so much.

What you would call "stepping out of the box" and making a bold move. I would hire her over the coach at Auburn, Vandy. Just saying this lady has the "it factor". Look at what the WNBA coach did at Vandy. She was a total flop. Dawn did her best to keep the score down, but one can only do so much.
I didn’t think the Collen hire was a great hire, but i wouldn’t hire Miller at a top five national program like Baylor, yet.

I am not against out of the box hires, Coach Yo at Ole Miss is a great example of a bottom feeder taking a risk. Why should Baylor take a risk on Molly Miller when they can have anybody? And why did they hire Collen??

Also you want to equate DS as an out of box hire equivalent to Miller. That is ludicrous!!! DS was a proven commodity as a coach, if we didn’t hire her, a power five would have done so shortly. Like I said, 6 NCAAs, she had worldwide name recognition, she already had recognized top shelf assistants at Temple.
Molly Miller????? Dominant coach at a third rate school in a third rate league. She may can run with the big girls but if I’m Baylor why not just hire a big girl? And I don’t think they hired a big girl.

I didn’t think the Collen hire was a great hire, but i wouldn’t hire Miller at a top five national program like Baylor, yet.

I am not against out of the box hires, Coach Yo at Ole Miss is a great example of a bottom feeder taking a risk. Why should Baylor take a risk on Molly Miller when they can have anybody? And why did they hire Collen??

Also you want to equate DS as an out of box hire equivalent to Miller. That is ludicrous!!! DS was a proven commodity as a coach, if we didn’t hire her, a power five would have done so shortly. Like I said, 6 NCAAs, she had worldwide name recognition, she already had recognized top shelf assistants at Temple.
Molly Miller????? Dominant coach at a third rate school in a third rate league. She may can run with the big girls but if I’m Baylor why not just hire a big girl? And I don’t think they hired a big girl.
What I love about America is everyone can express their opinion. I respect your opinion and I hope you respect mine. DS was told by a lot of people not to accept the USC job, I do know that for a fact, but thank goodness her mother had a lot to do with her turning down Alabama two years prior to accepting the USC job. DS has her agent out of Texas contact USC about her interest in the USC job. Eric Hyman at the time took more than one visit to Philly to see her and to interview her. Not putting down DS at all, ok just saying in my opinion Molly Miller is in the same cloth as DS. That is all I am saying. Well like Paul Harvey used to say "only time will tell", and next year when the field of 64 is announced for the ncaa womens tournament do not be surprised to see Grand Canyon listed in the field. Baylor hired another wash up from the WNBA. They did not get it right. That WNBA coach who went to Vandy, well thank goodness DS did everything she could to hold the score down. Peace and we shall see how things turn out.

What I love about America is everyone can express their opinion. I respect your opinion and I hope you respect mine. DS was told by a lot of people not to accept the USC job, I do know that for a fact, but thank goodness her mother had a lot to do with her turning down Alabama two years prior to accepting the USC job. DS has her agent out of Texas contact USC about her interest in the USC job. Eric Hyman at the time took more than one visit to Philly to see her and to interview her. Not putting down DS at all, ok just saying in my opinion Molly Miller is in the same cloth as DS. That is all I am saying. Well like Paul Harvey used to say "only time will tell", and next year when the field of 64 is announced for the ncaa womens tournament do not be surprised to see Grand Canyon listed in the field. Baylor hired another wash up from the WNBA. They did not get it right. That WNBA coach who went to Vandy, well thank goodness DS did everything she could to hold the score down. Peace and we shall see how things turn out.
You're making an apple and oranges comparison, coaching at the Division II level is almost a completely different sport. Her record is impressive and I think she deserves a Division I job like GCU but not a top tier program like Baylor. Her time will come if she's successful there, but she hasn't even earned that level of a job just yet. You're comparing her Division II success with Dawn's Temple success and you're also comparing a Top 5 program in Baylor to a bottom of the SEC barrel USC team that Dawn's inherited. These two situations aren't even remotely similar.

You're making an apple and oranges comparison, coaching at the Division II level is almost a completely different sport. Her record is impressive and I think she deserves a Division I job like GCU but not a top tier program like Baylor. Her time will come if she's successful there, but she hasn't even earned that level of a job just yet. You're comparing her Division II success with Dawn's Temple success and you're also comparing a Top 5 program in Baylor to a bottom of the SEC barrel USC team that Dawn's inherited. These two situations aren't even remotely similar.
Like I said everyone is entitled to their opinion. They said the same about Dabo at CU. No head coaching experience, no oc experience, no dc experience. CU took a chance and like they say "you know the rest of the story". We shall see how this whole thing pans out.

Like I said everyone is entitled to their opinion. They said the same about Dabo at CU. No head coaching experience, no oc experience, no dc experience. CU took a chance and like they say "you know the rest of the story". We shall see how this whole thing pans out.
Again this is a bad comparison. He was already a part of the staff, he inherited the job after they fired the previous. He finished out the season well and he took advantage of situation. This is also not the same. As I said before, if she can replicate what she did in Division II she will be getting a top job in no time.

Reactions: Goody101
Again this is a bad comparison. He was already a part of the staff, he inherited the job after they fired the previous. He finished out the season well and he took advantage of situation. This is also not the same. As I said before, if she can replicate what she did in Division II she will be getting a top job in no time.
I disagree call it what you want. Everyone at moo us will tell you they did not expect to get what they got. Trust me she will not only replicate her success but there is some program that is going to get lucky. It will be sooner than later, you will see.

I disagree call it what you want. Everyone at moo us will tell you they did not expect to get what they got. Trust me she will not only replicate her success but there is some program that is going to get lucky. It will be sooner than later, you will see.
Are you related or just her agent?😉

Reactions: Gamekem
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT