ADVERTISEMENT

Beamer does not equal Dabo model

CarolinaCocky83

Sep 9, 2014
Stop the Dabo model nonsense. Dabo took over a semi successful program.Bowden finished ranked the year before they cut ties mid season. Matter of fact, I’ll say Dabo’s silly rhetoric wouldn’t have had the same effect here.
But, we learned it is all about fit. Some coaches and their approach can transcend to different places, ala Saban, Meyer, Spurrier. Others struggle immensely such as Biellema (still can’t believe he essentially failed at Arky as it seemed like a good fit). Dabo has the credentials now, but if he wasn’t at Clemson I’m not sure we know who he is today.
Though I am not thrilled at the idea of Beamer, he does seem to check that box. It’s a roll of the dice, but I am about tired of hearing the Dabo comparisons. Dabo didn’t rebuild and not sure that approach in a similar job to ours would be successful.

Well if hired, Beamer is being hired for two reasons. They are hoping and praying he could be the USC version of Dabo, and probably most importantly, he would come cheap. Not just with his salary, but his funding demands for the rest of the program. He is basically begging for the job under any circumstances. Many are trying to spin this as a sign that he has been waiting on USC his whole life. What a crock. He has chased every open position there is. And with him supposedly being so great, and with his fathers influence, how in the world has he never gotten one?

He wants the job and a lot of people want him to have it.

I would rather we take a chance on Chadwell for 4 years than pay Napier 5 million for 5 years or hire a TE coach with no HC or coordinator experience just because he is a good recruiter. Way too much emphasis on that aspect. Give me a great coach over a great recruiter any day.

I agree with you and would love to take a risk on Chadwell, but you don't compete at the highest levels without also being a top level recruiter. I think if you go back and check it out, national title teams consistently field rosters composed of more than 50% 4 and 5 star recruits. Coaching only takes you so far. The key is to win more than you should with great coaching, and use that success to ramp up the recruiting levels.

I agree with you and would love to take a risk on Chadwell, but you don't compete at the highest levels without also being a top level recruiter. I think if you go back and check it out, national title teams consistently field rosters composed of more than 50% 4 and 5 star recruits. Coaching only takes you so far. The key is to win more than you should with great coaching, and use that success to ramp up the recruiting levels.
You have described a chicken-and-egg scenario. National title teams win - that's why 4 and 5 star recruits want to go there. It turns out that you can't sell ice to eskimos after all. You have to put a product on the field that eskimos want to buy. Success on the field begets success on the recruiting trail and vice versa.

It would be more like the Urban Meyer model. .. from position coach (both offense and defense) to head coach.

I would rather we take a chance on Chadwell for 4 years than pay Napier 5 million for 5 years or hire a TE coach with no HC or coordinator experience just because he is a good recruiter. Way too much emphasis on that aspect. Give me a great coach over a great recruiter any day.
Napier makes $880,000. You wouldn't have to pay him $5M to get him. Hard to argue that Napier hasn't established himself as a coach.

Nobody is coveting Beamer on any staff for any position and Ray is getting ready to make him head coach. Typical Ray Tanner. Name one successful coach Ray has hired. How many more botched hires gets Ray retired? The mens major sports all in shambles thanks to our clueless AD.

Reactions: trekcock
sc lawman....give reasons why you think beamer will be a bad hire...to me i will wait and see who he hires for assistants. they are more important.

I still contend Dabo was hired because he could be shown “the way things will be done”.
Their program took flight shortly afterwards.
This makes a lot of sense... Chizick at AU was the most glaring example of this.. who knows- Maybe just maybe our admin is taking that approach with Beamer? “You just be the figurehead/ say the right stuff in the presser, the less you know about the man with the briefcase, the better!”- I highly doubt we have the balls to do it but if enough rich guys band together to make it happen behind the scenes... 🤷‍♂️

You all need to remember that when Dabo wasn’t coaching, he was a real estate salesman. Not a mediocre salesman, but a superb salesman! He could have “sold ice to Eskimos”. The biggest thing he sold was himself. Recruit momma’s love and trust him with their sons. AD Phillips took a gamble and it paid off handsomely. As has been said, right place, right time. All coaching hires are different. Do you see any similarity between Dabo and Coach Pittman at Arkansas? I don’t, but he may be successful.

Can lightning strike twice, we will see!

Last edited:

No way recruiting is way more important. It ain’t about the X’s and the O’s it’s about the jimmy and the joe’s.
Let me guess you are one of these that say stars don’t matter. Name me a Top Tier program that doesn’t recruit in the top 10 consistently. Furthermore name me a top tier program where the coach is not a CEO type coach.

Last edited:
No way recruiting is way more important. It ain’t about the X’s and the O’s it’s about the jimmy and the joe’s.
Let me guess you are one of these that say stars don’t matter. Name me a Top Tier program that doesn’t recruit in the top 10 consistently. Furthermore name me a top tier program where the coach is not a CEO type coach.
No, I'm not one of those guys. Stars do matter. But you have to do something with those players. Develop them and coach them. Muschamp was supposed to be a tireless and great recruiter but he failed to develop the guys he brought in. I want someone who can do both. Right now, coaching matters more to me and I think it should for the next coach. Someone who can get the highest level of performance possible from the players and put them IN THE RIGHT POSITIONS.

Chadwell is that guy. But I'll be happy if we get Napier. I will be disappointed if it is Beamer but will hope for the best.

Beamer can do both. He can hire outstanding coordinators and they can coach them while he pulls in the talent. Nick Saban does the same thing and has gone on record several times saying that this is how programs operate now. Even he has changed his operation in the last ten years. The oc and dc are the backbone of the modern college football program the head coach motivates and kisses the babies and runs e program.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT