ADVERTISEMENT

Beamer doesn’t have the qualifications...

It's all a crap shoot. I would be ok with Beamer, Napier, or Chadwell. My first choice would be Chadwell, I saw how he turned CSU around. His kids love him, he has a dynamic personality.

Reactions: Crazy Cock 89
The sad thing is Ole Miss took another shot and it will probably pay off...meanwhile it appears we are going to go the "safe" route and screw this up again. Only one school could go from SOS to Muskrat to Beamer...us. What a joke.

The sad thing people are actually doing the exact same thing they did with Muskrat. "Well, he might not be that bad. Might the shot in the arm we need. Well, at least he doesn't cheat as bad as the others." How freaking weak minded can you be?
LOL, this is so spot on! I laugh cause it's all I can do. Too many of our fans are extremely gullible.

One can see what is going on here. Its a mistake, but I think one can see the direction. Anybody USC has supposedly considered that has some legitimate D1 experience, Freeze, Sark, Satterfield, aren't showing any interest in USC as they wait on better opportunities. So that leaves them with Napier, Chadwell, and Beamer. If it goes to Beamer, which I don't care for them to do, they are desperately trying to catch lightening in a bottle and find the USC version of Dabo. But there is a difference. Dabo had over a half of a season as a trial period to prove he could be a head coach. That luxury doesn't currently exist for Beamer. And the thought of keeping Bobo and T-Rob is just folly. Need a clean sweep of coordinators to give the program a clean start. Not against keeping a couple of the position coaches that are decent recruiters with contacts in the region.
I don't believe those coaches are actually being considered. They are letting those names float out but aren't really pursuing them. Those coaches know and that and of course they are going to say they aren't interested. It makes our job look terrible and it gives Rising Tide Ray an excuse to say he tried when he didn't and that Shane Beamer was the best we could do. Nevermind that Mike McGee hired Lou Holtz and Steve Spurrier. It's sad and pathetic the so-called leaders that represent my university.

Maybe they don't want the job. Ever thought of that?

In fact, I have it on good authority that Napier doesn't.
This is what Ray Tanner wants people to believe. I don't care if Napier doesn't want the job. We can do better than Shane Beamer. Plenty of jobs Steve Spurrier didn't want but he wanted ours. Do the work and find a qualified HC for a school that just wasted $30 million on a failed Florida coach for the same BS reason you just gave. Fire Ray Tanner.

...not every position coach is Dabo. Other than he coached here and his last name, how is he qualified? no other school is looking to hire him. Might as well interview Jeep Hunter or Jay Graham for head coach too. They have never been coordinators either. Beamer would be a very USC move. He needs to get a coordinator job first or head coach at a lower level. He isn’t in demand anywhere else. He may be awesome but we can’t step off the ledge into such an unknown....can we? Monken coming in running an archaic offense and trying to recruit sec level players would be worse, i admit.
Hell Dabo was a real estate agent and look at him now!! Maybe we need to go with the CEO process and just do like Coach Staley say when dealing with all of her star players , “trust the process just trust the process” !!!!!

Reactions: Crazy Cock 89
A lot of arguments about our HC search always start with a faulty premise, that we can go out and hire anybody we want. We're a program with zero tradition and a history of being a HC graveyard. Lightning struck the same spot twice when we hired Holtz and SOS (and even their tenures ended in disaster), so I think people have begun to believe we can just go out and hire anybody we want. That's just not reality.

This is wrong and I haven't seen anyone say this. I've only seen people with a loser mentality say Shane Beamer is the best we can do because of your bogus reasoning. For $30 million we can hire someone with a better chance to win than Will Muschamp or Shane Beamer.

With 2 wins and a divided fan base, that complains no matter what, why would any coach want to come here? Just askn for some. We are not an Alabama that can hire anybody they want.
Complains no matter what? People are complaining about hiring 2 coaches no one else in the entire country wanted. That's not complaining no matter what, that's just not being gullible suckers.

I don't believe those coaches are actually being considered. They are letting those names float out but aren't really pursuing them. Those coaches know and that and of course they are going to say they aren't interested. It makes our job look terrible and it gives Rising Tide Ray an excuse to say he tried when he didn't and that Shane Beamer was the best we could do. Nevermind that Mike McGee hired Lou Holtz and Steve Spurrier. It's sad and pathetic the so-called leaders that represent my university.
None of those names are coming from the Athletic Department. And, sorry, but if Beamer is the leading candidate, it's not RT making this decision.....Beamer meet only one of the several qualifications that RT has ever stated. Beamer has SEC experience, though limited. He has never been a coordinator, much less a HC, on any level. Being a HC has always been a big qualification for Tanner. Napier would meet all the qualifications that Tanner wants. So, if it's Beamer, my money is own Caslen making the decision, not Tanner.

None of those names are coming from the Athletic Department. And, sorry, but if Beamer is the leading candidate, it's not RT making this decision.....Beamer meet only one of the several qualifications that RT has ever stated. Beamer has SEC experience, though limited. He has never been a coordinator, much less a HC, on any level. Being a HC has always been a big qualification for Tanner. Napier would meet all the qualifications that Tanner wants. So, if it's Beamer, my money is own Caslen making the decision, not Tanner.
I'm not saying the athletics department is putting them out there. But this is what search firms do. And the athletics department could easily dispel the rumors off the record with more trusted local media but they don't.

Ray Tanner hired Muschamp. It would be hard for me to believe Caslen wanted Beamer but Tanner didn't. The Monken hire was great for Army and he was hired based on a resume of success. I don't see Caslen being naive enough to push for Beamer, a career position coach. If we hire Beamer it will be because of support booster/BOT friends of Beamer, Tanner, etc. I don't see Caslen falling for the "his daddy" line. There is no other reason to hire him.

All that might be true or it might not be. But does he have a point about outstanding head coaches not necessarily coming from the coordinator ranks or does he not?
No, he does not. I've already addressed it in this thread but here it is again. There were a couple that had extended interim coach trials but most of them were hired at lower level schools. Unless you consider our job lower level like Bowling Green then no, it's not even close to a decent point. In fact, it reinforces the point that Beamer needs to gain experience as an OC/DC or lower level HC before we consider him as HC here.

I'm not saying the athletics department is putting them out there. But this is what search firms do. And the athletics department could easily dispel the rumors off the record with more trusted local media but they don't.

Ray Tanner hired Muschamp. It would be hard for me to believe Caslen wanted Beamer but Tanner didn't. The Monken hire was great for Army and he was hired based on a resume of success. I don't see Caslen being naive enough to push for Beamer, a career position coach. If we hire Beamer it will be because of support booster/BOT friends of Beamer, Tanner, etc. I don't see Caslen falling for the "his daddy" line. There is no other reason to hire him.
I look at it this way. Tanner already has a cemented relationship with all the powers that be because of all he can do as AD (not talking selection of FB coaches) and his relationships with large donors. Tanner has ALWAYS had certain qualifications that he wants candidates to meet....and he has no reason to change those. Caslen is new to the school with zero experience being the President of a school where you rely on funding from more than one source. Caslen has to play politics on a different platform. Pretty much will guarantee that he is more influenced at this point by those powers that be than Tanner is. Monken at Army was a no-brainer for someone who wants to run the option....Ga Southern is one of the few schools that still run it and run it to perfection.....and, try as they have, can not get away from it.

I look at it this way. Tanner already has a cemented relationship with all the powers that be because of all he can do as AD (not talking selection of FB coaches) and his relationships with large donors. Tanner has ALWAYS had certain qualifications that he wants candidates to meet....and he has no reason to change those. Caslen is new to the school with zero experience being the President of a school where you rely on funding from more than one source. Caslen has to play politics on a different platform. Pretty much will guarantee that he is more influenced at this point by those powers that be than Tanner is. Monken at Army was a no-brainer for someone who wants to run the option....Ga Southern is one of the few schools that still run it and run it to perfection.....and, try as they have, can not get away from it.
Your argument is at least logical. I can see that Caslen needs some political capital here. Especially in light of his apparent silence, as a general, on what the womens' basketball team pulled yesterday.

What a 🤡🤡🤡 show our university has become.

Maybe they don't want the job. Ever thought of that?

In fact, I have it on good authority that Napier doesn't.
That could very well be true. Probably, Napier's agent is telling him the LSU job will be open soon and to wait.

Would LSU hiring Napier from ULL be the equivalent of SC hiring Chadwell from CCU?

Reactions: uscnoklahoma2
Agree with any hire being a roll-of-the-dice, but your odds increase the more information you know. Harbaugh has been a "Failure" for only two reasons....he's at Michigan (who expects more) and he can't beat TOSU. Dabo was catching lightening in a bottle.....I don't like our odds of doing the same.

I agree there. I honestly think no matter what direction we turn, the coaching pool is actually pretty weak this cycle compared to prior searches. I am also concerned that Auburn and Tennessee could make a move before we hire a coach, and knock us down to our third choice or so.

There are no sure things and unfortunately we are dependent on Caslen and Tanner to make a great decision or this could easily turn into a decade or more of frustration.

I agree there. I honestly think no matter what direction we turn, the coaching pool is actually pretty weak this cycle compared to prior searches. I am also concerned that Auburn and Tennessee could make a move before we hire a coach, and knock us down to our third choice or so.

There are no sure things and unfortunately we are dependent on Caslen and Tanner to make a great decision or this could easily turn into a decade or more of frustration.
More worried about what is going on at LSU regarding the primary candidate that I am hoping for.

Reactions: Gamecockben1979
Well Muschamp was touted as one of the best defensive coordinators in America when he was at Auburn, LSU, and Texas, but he failed miserably as a coach. We are a joke at this point and the only thing that will turn around this program is recruiting and Urban Meyer isn't an option. I like a guy wr can hire at a lower salary, who can then go spend above market for coordinators.

I am not excited about Billy Napier as an option. I am not over the moon happy that Beamer is an option, but the headcoach at Louisville just trolled us, so let's just take a shot in the dark.
We didn't want the Louisville Coach anyway. I had never even heard of the guy until this Coaching Search. No love lost there.

Reactions: Gamecockben1979
All that might be true or it might not be. But does he have a point about outstanding head coaches not necessarily coming from the coordinator ranks or does he not?
Like most of JC's arguments, this one is filled with faulty logic and outright lies. Hard to tell with him if he's trying to lie or it's just his general incompetence coming to the forefront. Make no mistake that he really, really, really wants Beamer to come because Beamer is and was one of his best sources.

Ed Orgeron - Was Defensive Coordinator at Southern Cal from 2010-2013. First HC job was Ole Miss were he failed miserably. Three sub-.500 seasons and fired. So not only had HC experience when hired at LSU, but had P5, SEC head coaching experience.

Mack Brown - Was OC at Iowa State from 1980-81; and OC at Oklahoma in 1984. Had coordinator experience before being hired by App State as head coach 1983; and had HC experience (App State & Tulane) before being hired for a P5 job, UNC.

Mario Cristobal - was Co/OC at Oregon before taking the HC job at Oregon. Had coordinator experience.

Luke Fickell - was Co/DC at Ohio State from 2005-2010. Was interim HC for OSU for the 2011 season. First HC job was Cincinnati, not a P5 job. But had coordinator experience.

Not all of those coaches' first HC job was a Power 5 job; so that makes it not comparable to Beamer.

Jim Harbaugh - QB coach for the Raiders to HC of San Diego State. Had HC experience when hired for his first P5 HC job at Stanford.

Joe Morrison - HC at UT-Chattanooga and University of New Mexico before HC at SCar. He had HC experience before his first P5 job.

PJ Fleck - WR coach for Buccaneers to HC at Western Michigan. Had HC experience before his first P5 job Minnesota.

Lou Holtz
- Assistant at Ohio State to HC at William & Mary. Had HC experience before his first P5 job at NCST.

Kirk Ferentz - OL coach at Iowa to HC at Maine. Was OC for the Ravens from 97-98. Had HC experience and coordinator experience before his first P5 HC job at Iowa.

Stating again:
This is a total shot in the dark hire. If it doesn't work out for Beamer he's $20 mill+ richer. No sweat. He can retire or go back to position coaching when Daddy makes a phone call. If it doesn't work out for us, the dumpster fire burns even hotter.

We didn't want the Louisville Coach anyway. I had never even heard of the guy until this Coaching Search. No love lost there.
So. It still makes news when a coach says he isn't interested whether or not we are, because we can't say anything to refute it. People still remember Rich Rod as being part of the coaching search last time, less people remember we did not want him.

Reactions: rogue cock
Stating again:
This is a total shot in the dark hire. If it doesn't work out for Beamer he's $20 mill+ richer. No sweat. He can retire or go back to position coaching when Daddy makes a phone call. If it doesn't work out for us, the dumpster fire burns even hotter.
I think this is where most people are incorrect. His "lack of qualifications" works to the advantage of the school (though Ray is negotiating, so maybe not). Beamer doesn't justify a large salary or buyout and the contract can be incentive laden, so he makes more the more successful he is. His lower salary should mean we can pay top dollar for staff. No matter who we hire it is risky, I think Beamer gives us a chance at a better staff. Anyone who discounts what former players are saying don't see what benefit a buy in would mean in recruiting.

I think this is where most people are incorrect. His "lack of qualifications" works to the advantage of the school (though Ray is negotiating, so maybe not). Beamer doesn't justify a large salary or buyout and the contract can be incentive laden, so he makes more the more successful he is. His lower salary should mean we can pay top dollar for staff. No matter who we hire it is risky, I think Beamer gives us a chance at a better staff. Anyone who discounts what former players are saying don't see what benefit a buy in would mean in recruiting.
I guarantee he/agent will demand average SEC coaching rate: $3.5-$4mill per for 5 years. He ain't taking $2 mill per to be an SEC head coach. That's what Liberty is paying.

I guarantee he/agent will demand average SEC coaching rate: $3.5-$4mill per for 5 years. He ain't taking $2 mill per to be an SEC head coach. That's what Liberty is paying.
He can demand whatever he wants, Beamer isn't in the running for any other Power 5 jobs I am aware of. VT is yet TBD.

He can demand whatever he wants, Beamer isn't in the running for any other Power 5 jobs I am aware of. VT is yet TBD.
You just stated in previous post that we can get Beamer for a deal and pay the staff more. I beg to differ. Wouldn't be surprised if Ray caves to Beamer's demands anyway due to our desperate situation and Ray's track record as AD.

This is what Ray Tanner wants people to believe. I don't care if Napier doesn't want the job. We can do better than Shane Beamer. Plenty of jobs Steve Spurrier didn't want but he wanted ours. Do the work and find a qualified HC for a school that just wasted $30 million on a failed Florida coach for the same BS reason you just gave. Fire Ray Tanner.

Steve wanted the membership to Augusta National, same with Lou.

Believe it or not, that is what motivated both men. They loved golf and the chance to get a membership to the most exclusive club in the world is why they both came.

That isn’t on the table any more.

If not mistaken, when asked, Ray said during his presser that he is looking for someone with HC experience. With lots saying Ray is about to make a colossal mistake with Beamer, does that mean Ray has reversed his comment or have all HC candidates balked at the opportunity?

I think it has rightly been pointed out that the list had quite a few errors on it.

No one is saying you can’t be successful as a HC and not have been a coordinator. Obviously you can. Some posters on this board have almost convinced themselves that it is even preferred at this point. This way they can just be a CEO.

That aside, there has never been any buzz about Shane Beamer outside of this job, his name was floated last time when Will was hired.

I have never heard his name floated for any other job. He never had the desire to pursue a lower level HC’ing job. That should scare people. If you are good and you know you are, you have that passion that we all talk about, you will take a lower level HC job. I don’t know that he has even pursued one.

Look at Tony Elliot at Clemson, i know he is a coordinator, but he has won the Broyles award. It is often said that he is going to make a great HC one day, that his time is coming. He is eyed as one of the up and comers. Never heard that about Shane.

If you take away Shane’s last name, you wouldn’t even know the guy. He has done nothing remarkable in 16 years of coaching. He has mostly held positions that are not particularly important in the grand scheme of things.

I know he is an Assistant HC, but Oklahoma is his 5 school in 16 years, he averages 3 years per school. Good coaches don’t move that often with out promotions and Oklahoma is his first real one and i am not sure it even is a promotion.

If you take away Shane’s last name, you wouldn’t even know the guy. He has done nothing remarkable in 16 years of coaching. He has mostly held positions that are not particularly important in the grand scheme of things.

I know he is an Assistant HC, but Oklahoma is his 5 school in 16 years, he averages 3 years per school. Good coaches don’t move that often with out promotions and Oklahoma is his first real one and i am not sure it even is a promotion.

This is a very good take, imho.

Steve wanted the membership to Augusta National, same with Lou.

Believe it or not, that is what motivated both men. They loved golf and the chance to get a membership to the most exclusive club in the world is why they both came.

That isn’t on the table any more.
You think Spurrier is a member of Augusta National? You know that's public information, right? Really easy to look up and not look so foolish.

You think Spurrier is a member of Augusta National? You know that's public information, right? Really easy to look up and not look so foolish.

There are about 300 members to Augusta and the membership isn’t public information. You can find lists of some of the prominent members.

If you google Hootie Johnson and Steve Spurrier, you will find numerous articles that discuss the issue when Steve was hired. Holtz was given an membership by Hootie who at the time was the chairman of Augusta National. Hootie was allowed to give one membership per year as a perk of being the chairman.

Many articles talk about how golf factored into Steve’s decision to come to Columbia. Hootie acatually was the primary negotiator for USC when Steve was hired.

Hootie publicly said that Steve was not guaranteed a membership. But that was just to cover is butt.

So maybe you do some due diligence and don’t look so foolish.

There are about 300 members to Augusta and the membership isn’t public information. You can find lists of some of the prominent members.

If you google Hootie Johnson and Steve Spurrier, you will find numerous articles that discuss the issue when Steve was hired. Holtz was given an membership by Hootie who at the time was the chairman of Augusta National. Hootie was allowed to give one membership per year as a perk of being the chairman.

Many articles talk about how golf factored into Steve’s decision to come to Columbia. Hootie acatually was the primary negotiator for USC when Steve was hired.

Hootie publicly said that Steve was not guaranteed a membership. But that was just to cover is butt.

So maybe you do some due diligence and don’t look so foolish.
LOL, you just admitted he's not a member!

Reactions: SOSUSC
You do the same! lol

"Johnson, who played fullback for the Gamecocks in the early 1950s and who lives in Columbia, says it would be 'completely false' to imply membership at Augusta National could be linked to any job.

He says an invitation to join Augusta National would never be tied to anything except personal relationships within the club."

You do the same! lol

"Johnson, who played fullback for the Gamecocks in the early 1950s and who lives in Columbia, says it would be 'completely false' to imply membership at Augusta National could be linked to any job.

He says an invitation to join Augusta National would never be tied to anything except personal relationships within the club."

Of course he said that, but the article also said that Golf played a roll in Steve coming to Columbia. It was widely known that Lou was told if he came he would be given a membership, and he was. It made the media and Hootie took some flack for that.

Connect the dots.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT