ADVERTISEMENT

Beamer names Doty starter...QB competition not close

GarnetBeamer

Dec 7, 2020
Based on Beamer's comments, it appears the coaches don't view the QB competition to be much of a competition. He said "Unless something totally changes between now and when we watch the tape, Luke Doty is our starting quarterback." That tells you, that whatever they've seen in spring practice, they don't feel anyone else is close to the Doty at this point.

One thing to keep in mind is that what we saw in the spring game and drills is probably 10% (if that) of what they've thrown at them in the practices. So the coaches are making decisions based on 100% of what the players have seen. We are trying to draw conclusions based on 10%.

I don't who will be or who should be our starting QB, but the coaches obviously feel pretty one-sided about it.

Doty appears to be the better runner but his passing doesn't seem to be sharp. He missed several open throws. Brown fit the ball into some tight windows. His release is lightning fast. If the problem is learning the playbook, the additional time until fall practice will help him.
Platooning maybe?

Doty appears to be the better runner but his passing doesn't seem to be sharp. He missed several open throws. Brown fit the ball into some tight windows. His release is lightning fast. If the problem is learning the playbook, the additional time until fall practice will help him.

Brown and Doty have had roughly the same amount of time with the playbook, so I can't think that'd be the main issue.

Doty is going to be good and could develop into a nightmare for D coordinators. I think a bit more playing time and the light is going to come on. If that happens- watch out.
These Coaches better get off of their butts and get Brown ready because what I have seen from Luke in the passing game since we recruited him is not good .Clemson, Georgia, Tennessee, Florida and the others are licking their chops.

If they want to win bad enough, they'll let the best guys play.
And I think they will.

There is no profit in “naming” anyone besides Doty at this stage.

True ability always reveals something of itself consistently, including early. Carolina fans have seen enough now to be able to discern a quarterback, a guy that positively affects an offense, from a guy who’s playing the position and “knows the offense.” We saw one of each in the spring game.

I think The Beam comes out swinging this fall.

Reactions: john8220
The only way Beamer has a chance to win is player development. He must develop players that are 3 starts across the board, make them play at 4 star to 5 star level.

Lets see if he can.

Reactions: flyfisher29640
And I think they will.

There is no profit in “naming” anyone besides Doty at this stage.

True ability always reveals something of itself consistently, including early. Carolina fans have seen enough now to be able to discern a quarterback, a guy that positively affects an offense, from a guy who’s playing the position and “knows the offense.” We saw one of each in the spring game.

I think The Beam comes out swinging this fall.
I doubt either QB knows the offense that much better than the other at this point. Doty had some “study time” over Brown but they have the same number of practices/scrimmages under their belt working for coach Satt... The cream will rise to the top. The issue our fanbase seems to have is trusting the coaches when they say one guy is better than the other... I hope we can avoid any rumors of illicit deals or agreements/ shady favoritism this year regarding the QB starter... There is not reason to assume any coach would be tied to one player over another based off past loyalty/familiarity. Doty is the presumptive starter after starting most of the last half of last year. It is no surprise he is the current starter after Spring ball, but that designation is certainly no guarantee he holds the job long term either.

The only way Beamer has a chance to win is player development. He must develop players that are 3 starts across the board, make them play at 4 star to 5 star level.

Lets see if he can.
We actually have quite a lot of highly rated players on this roster. Numerous 4* guys and a couple 5*s as well... The DL especially is packed with highly rated players! We return two 5* young guys, the SEC leader in Sacks and we added the NCAA sack leader via the transfer portal. At WR we have multiple 4* guys... at QB, we have still got two 4* guys even after DJ moved to WR and another former 4* transferred out.. We also added a D2 All American (I think he may have been second team AA?) from the portal.

Our talent is a cut above “3 stars across the board”- the job from a player development standpoint is to get the 4*s to play up to their potential, AS A TEAM. That was WM’s biggest failure. He recruited well honestly... but he recruited INDIVIDUALS who played LIKE INDIVIDUALS. They had flashy plays/ games sometimes, and some good individual stats but as a team we were inconsistent because they did not work well as a unit to achieve a unified goal. Beamer seems focused on unity, camaraderie, and bringing out the best in people. I think/hope it will create a better TEAM, and if it does, we have the talent to compete. Not with Bama or clemsun yet, but if we play together and guys play to the best of their ability- we can compete with most of the SEC. If we get a bunch of guys trying to shiw off for scouts and not playing together- it will be more of the same: up and down performances with random big wins when one talented guy has a game where he plays out of his mind (IE- Horn vs AU last year), and a bunch of ugly losses where we loom disjointed and lost in the rest fo the games (the entire rest fo the season).

We actually have quite a lot of highly rated players on this roster. Numerous 4* guys and a couple 5*s as well... The DL especially is packed with highly rated players! We return two 5* young guys, the SEC leader in Sacks and we added the NCAA sack leader via the transfer portal. At WR we have multiple 4* guys... at QB, we have still got two 4* guys even after DJ moved to WR and another former 4* transferred out.. We also added a D2 All American (I think he may have been second team AA?) from the portal.

Our talent is a cut above “3 stars across the board”- the job from a player development standpoint is to get the 4*s to play up to their potential, AS A TEAM. That was WM’s biggest failure. He recruited well honestly... but he recruited INDIVIDUALS who played LIKE INDIVIDUALS. They had flashy plays/ games sometimes, and some good individual stats but as a team we were inconsistent because they did not work well as a unit to achieve a unified goal. Beamer seems focused on unity, camaraderie, and bringing out the best in people. I think/hope it will create a better TEAM, and if it does, we have the talent to compete. Not with Bama or clemsun yet, but if we play together and guys play to the best of their ability- we can compete with most of the SEC. If we get a bunch of guys trying to shiw off for scouts and not playing together- it will be more of the same: up and down performances with random big wins when one talented guy has a game where he plays out of his mind (IE- Horn vs AU last year), and a bunch of ugly losses where we loom disjointed and lost in the rest fo the games (the entire rest fo the season).
Ha!!

Trust me, we have 3 star talent across the board.

Reactions: flyfisher29640
Everyone saying that this is typical “everyone wants the back up talk”, it really isn’t.
Please give me another scenario where:

1. The backup has more college experience, passes and success than the starter

2. the starter has only played in only two games and was the third string most of the season the year before

3. the starter the year before was taking snaps at wide receiver the year before

4. the starter has more ints than tds in his college career

5. The back up has a special connection with arguably our best receiving threat

6. the starter and backup have relatively the same time in the current system

Reactions: john8220

Great post.

Reactions: rogue cock
It's April and Beamer was named head coach about 4 1/2 months ago. We're still about 4 1/2 months away from our first game in September. I don't put too much stock in the spring practices and spring game about where we'll be as a team in September.

Well... The facts state otherwise. Sorry if the rest of the world does not adhere to your biased handicapping of talent.
What facts are you referring to? All you've said is what kind of stars they were given in HS by some recruiting site nimrods. You seem to forget the REAL facts. Like the fact we actually SAW them on the field last year. And what we saw was not very good. They got manhandled and pushed around by SEC Offensive lines. I guess somebody forgot to tell our opposing Olines how many stars our guys have.

What facts are you referring to? All you've said is what kind of stars they were given in HS by some recruiting site nimrods. You seem to forget the REAL facts. Like the fact we actually SAW them on the field last year. And what we saw was not very good. They got manhandled and pushed around by SEC Offensive lines. I guess somebody forgot to tell our opposing Olines how many stars our guys have.
I am talking about the 3* vs 4*+ facts that the discussion was centered around: again- 3* talent is a designation based off of ratings not your subjective opinion of what they “deserve” vs the actual rating they had coming out of HS.

Reactions: rogue cock
Two times Jenkins ran patterns in the end zone with Doty passing. The first one the ball placement was good and Jenkins was knocked down with the ball in the air, would've been a touchdown (Good play by Roderick, you aren't winning that matchup, interfere for the penalty over the TD). Second pass was the only good coverage against Jenkins (that one shouldn't have been flagged). That's the whole difference in the performance, Jenkins, who is a matchup nightmare, running free versus not. The pass in his second possession Doty completed to Joyner had zip and great placement against really tight coverage between defenders. Y'all got it wrong. This is why Beamer said he saw nothing to change how he felt yesterday, because he got one out under pressure and completed to big ones to a wide open 6'8" receiver, Doty would make those same plays if they were his to make.

I remember thinking McEvoy was the future one year. Don't make too much of the spring game

Reactions: uscnoklahoma2
Two times Jenkins ran patterns in the end zone with Doty passing. The first one the ball placement was good and Jenkins was knocked down with the ball in the air, would've been a touchdown (Good play by Roderick, you aren't winning that matchup, interfere for the penalty over the TD). Second pass was the only good coverage against Jenkins (that one shouldn't have been flagged). That's the whole difference in the performance, Jenkins, who is a matchup nightmare, running free versus not. The pass in his second possession Doty completed to Joyner had zip and great placement against really tight coverage between defenders. Y'all got it wrong. This is why Beamer said he saw nothing to change how he felt yesterday, because he got one out under pressure and completed to big ones to a wide open 6'8" receiver, Doty would make those same plays if they were his to make.

I remember thinking McEvoy was the future one year. Don't make too much of the spring game
What about the 8 passes he missed? The almost pick in the bedside, the fumble. The ball he bounced to vann?

his longest completion of the day was a screen pass that really shouldn’t have been thrown.

btw they had coverage on ej on both of browns touchdown passes they were just extremely well placed

Everyone saying that this is typical “everyone wants the back up talk”, it really isn’t.
Please give me another scenario where:

1. The backup has more college experience, passes and success than the starter

2. the starter has only played in only two games and was the third string most of the season the year before

3. the starter the year before was taking snaps at wide receiver the year before

4. the starter has more ints than tds in his college career

5. The back up has a special connection with arguably our best receiving threat

6. the starter and backup have relatively the same time in the current system
Connor Shaw played in one game as a true freshman, he threw 0 TDs to 2 INTs in less than a quarter of work in a one score game in our 2010 road loss to Auburn. His next significant action was starting against ECU, he got benched and Garcia had to bring us back. He went on to be out winningest QB and threw 1 INT his senior year.

Also, it's really dishonest to mention he got snaps at WR last year when he was also taking second team reps at QB at the same time and the reason he got those reps was because he was 3rd fastest guy in the team, not because the coaches thought he couldn't contribute at QB. Going back to the Shaw example, Muschamp probably would've made Shaw a starting WR and backup QB in a single season too.

I am talking about the 3* vs 4*+ facts that the discussion was centered around: again- 3* talent is a designation based off of ratings not your subjective opinion of what they “deserve” vs the actual rating they had coming out of HS.
Subjective? What the hell do you call a star rating system, Science? Actual play on the field is the best determination of talent, not some bogus opinion from a bunch of non coach internet guys as to what they think they may be in HS. When they get beat on the field it's easy to see in front of God and everybody. It's far less subjective than a star system and a much better gauge of talent.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT