ADVERTISEMENT

Beamer names Doty starter...QB competition not close

I didn't know you evaluate someone's passing skills on 5 passing attempts. Give the guy a break.

What about the 8 passes he missed? The almost pick in the bedside, the fumble. The ball he bounced to vann?

his longest completion of the day was a screen pass that really shouldn’t have been thrown.

btw they had coverage on ej on both of browns touchdown passes they were just extremely well placed
First TD Brown threw was a jump ball, second one Jenkins beat his man by a couple of yards and was able to position so that his body protected the ball. Again first ball Doty threw to Jenkins would've been a jump ball for a TD. No QB completed in 7on7 and I think only 3 conversions happened in the 3rd down drills so I was only focusing on the game situations.

Edit: conversions not conversions.

What about the 8 passes he missed? The almost pick in the bedside, the fumble. The ball he bounced to vann?

his longest completion of the day was a screen pass that really shouldn’t have been thrown.

btw they had coverage on ej on both of browns touchdown passes they were just extremely well placed
Also, Smith had him locked up, not the same at all. There is no throw that could've been completed in that rep. Tom Brady ain't finding a way to get Jenkins the ball on that rep.

Connor Shaw played in one game as a true freshman, he threw 0 TDs to 2 INTs in less than a quarter of work in a one score game in our 2010 road loss to Auburn. His next significant action was starting against ECU, he got benched and Garcia had to bring us back. He went on to be out winningest QB and threw 1 INT his senior year.

Also, it's really dishonest to mention he got snaps at WR last year when he was also taking second team reps at QB at the same time and the reason he got those reps was because he was 3rd fastest guy in the team, not because the coaches thought he couldn't contribute at QB. Going back to the Shaw example, Muschamp probably would've made Shaw a starting WR and backup QB in a single season too.
He wasn’t taking second team reps at that time Hillinski was.

Connor also had a whole year of coaching and yanked and replaced when he didn’t do well.

if Doty struggles he needs to be yanked

Also I don’t doubt doty has a good 40 time but he has not been very explosive in the run game

First TD Brown threw was a jump ball, second one Jenkins beat his man by a couple of yards and was able to position so that his body protected the ball. Again first ball Doty threw to Jenkins would've been a jump ball for a TD. No QB completed in 7on7 and I think only 3 conversions happened in the 3rd down drills so I was only focusing on the game situations.

That was not a jump ball he threw it between three guys to where only ej could get it. Watch it again

and the other pass he led ej perfectly and threw it to only where he could get it.

dotys best pass to dak was barely above two line backers head and could have easily been picked off

brown never put the ball in danger

Reactions: Lakecock1

Only 3 conversions because brown was only given one chance 1/1

I have been disappointed plenty in my lifetime as a Gamecock fan. That has no bearing on the subject at hand.
Sure it does. BTW we have no 5* on our roster. The two you think we have are 5* bust and play at a three star level at a best, per inside sources.

Last edited:
Reactions: Brace1
I wonder .... would it have been bad form for Beamer to come out and say that Jason Brown was the new starter at QB over returning starter Luke Doty?

Hilinski Part II.

For me, it's the emphatic nature of his statement. He said something would have to "totally change" for Doty to lose the starting spot. He could have given a more coach-y answer "We're going with Luke as our starter, based on the body of work from the entire spring and his experience in this league. But, hey, Jason had a strong spring and has a chance to over the summer to earn the starting nod. We're expecting a lively competition over the summer and into the fall." But he more or less said it's going to take something remarkable for Doty to lose the job. This mirrors earlier statements from spring practice when he said the other guys needed to push Doty...implying there wasn't much of a QB competition.

What folks are misunderstanding is the importance of the spring game. For us, it's the only time we've seen these guys this spring, so it's ALL we have to go on. I dare say the coaches have seen Luke and Jason throw hundreds of passes this spring. We've seen about 10 from each.

What's obvious from Beamer's statement is that the decision on the starting QB was made prior to the spring game.

Subjective? What the hell do you call a star rating system, Science? Actual play on the field is the best determination of talent, not some bogus opinion from a bunch of non coach internet guys as to what they think they may be in HS. When they get beat on the field it's easy to see in front of God and everybody. It's far less subjective than a star system and a much better gauge of talent.
The star rating system is totally subjective. I never said it wasn’t... I was simply pointing out that we have plenty of 4* and even some 5* talent on our team, in direct conflict with what another poster said... I have no clue why that pisses you off so much as the comment was not directed to you, it is a simple provable fact that many of our players were highly rated coming out if HS and none of what you said is relative to the discussion at hand. You want to denigrate the players on our team and slander their abilities? That is on you man, I am just pointing out the truth.

Sure it does. BTW we have no 5* on our roster. The two you think we have are 5* bust and play at a three star level at a best, per inside sources.
Ok man, believe whatever you want. Keep trashing our players- that is a real good look. None of that chances the fact you are full of it.

Reactions: rogue cock
The star rating system is totally subjective. I never said it wasn’t... I was simply pointing out that we have plenty of 4* and even some 5* talent on our team, in direct conflict with what another poster said... I have no clue why that pisses you off so much as the comment was not directed to you, it is a simple provable fact that many of our players were highly rated coming out if HS and none of what you said is relative to the discussion at hand. You want to denigrate the players on our team and slander their abilities? That is on you man, I am just pointing out the truth.
Not the truth, I find it hilarious you trust the evaluations of one of the worst coaching staffs we have ever had.

RollLaughRollLaughRollLaughRollLaughRollLaughRollLaughRollLaughRollLaughRollLaughRollLaughRollLaughRollLaughRollLaughRollLaugh

So many coaches on here, I mean to be able to judge players on such a small sample, I wonder why some of yall are on here and not coaching in the NFL, I mean I am sure teams are knocking down your doors to get the talent evaluators....

FWIW, Beamer dismissed one of the primary concerns expressed on here that Doty can't stretch the field. He said the plays just didn't develop that way on Sunday but that Doty has hit plenty of long balls in spring practice.

Everyone saying that this is typical “everyone wants the back up talk”, it really isn’t.
Please give me another scenario where:

1. The backup has more college experience, passes and success than the starter

2. the starter has only played in only two games and was the third string most of the season the year before

3. the starter the year before was taking snaps at wide receiver the year before

4. the starter has more ints than tds in his college career

5. The back up has a special connection with arguably our best receiving threat

6. the starter and backup have relatively the same time in the current system
You know you’re being disingenuous when you’re comparing the Northeast Conference to games in the Southeastern Conference.

FWIW, Beamer dismissed one of the primary concerns expressed on here that Doty can't stretch the field. He said the plays just didn't develop that way on Sunday but that Doty has hit plenty of long balls in spring practice.
Didn’t he say earlier in spring practice we were struggling with explosive pass plays?

Reactions: Lakecock1
Didn’t he say earlier in spring practice we were struggling with explosive pass plays?

After the second scrimmage he said he wanted to see more explosive pass plays. Does not identify any QB in particular or whether it was the group as a whole. And, of course, these were comments solely on the second scrimmage. His statement referenced above is that what he saw from Doty for the entirety of the spring practice didn't give him any concerns about the deep passing game. He could be lying through his teeth.

Feeble when his man Brown threw his TD pass...
farmer-fran2.jpeg

That was not a jump ball he threw it between three guys to where only ej could get it. Watch it again

and the other pass he led ej perfectly and threw it to only where he could get it.

dotys best pass to dak was barely above two line backers head and could have easily been picked off

brown never put the ball in danger

He's outside of the three players, not between them and jumping, he beat them and all Brown had to do to keep it out of danger was put some under it because no one else could get that.

Doty his on an out route to Joyner at 4:18. He hits him between Spaulding and Hill, which are DBs, he put it inside because Joyner had a step on Spaulding and there is enough space to get it in there but Hill could challenge outside.

I don't care if you think he was explosive or not, that wasn't the point. The point was his reps at WR was about getting an athlete in the field and he was the backup game one when he came in as a WR.

Shaw did not have a year of coa choaching as a true freshman.

Me saying that Doty did better than you say doesn't mean he shouldn't be pulled if he plays poorly, so no idea why that was said.

Reactions: uscnoklahoma2
So many coaches on here, I mean to be able to judge players on such a small sample, I wonder why some of yall are on here and not coaching in the NFL, I mean I am sure teams are knocking down your doors to get the talent evaluators....
Yeah, we will have multiple guys drafted this year despite the “3*” evals they have received in this thread. I guess the NFL sucks at talent evaluation...

I didn't get to watch the game so I'm kinda late to the party. I'm gonna trust the coaches on the QB evaluations. I saw some good and bad from Doty and Brown. But what I'm amazed by is the play of Z White. I know this thread is about quarterbacks but I think we have really got ourselves a running back. I know Harris has proven himself with his play last year but I think we're gonna be set at RB for awhile if we can keep those two healthy. White seems to have that "it" factor. Just when you think he's stopped he breaks loose and gains another 5 (or more) yards. Between the two of them it should be a great help to the passing game.

It’s also a Spring game guys. Collin Hill looked great until he had a 300lb defensive lineman in his teeth play after play. Easy to sit back and place a pass when you have no fear of getting blasted from your blind side.

Reactions: uscwatson21
I for one think Brown and the big receiver have good chemistry.....Not sure Doty can hold on to the start if he doesn't put up some numbers quickly.....Fans will dictate that!

Hate to say it, but I personally thought the FCS transfer kid looked better. Doty was a mess for the most part on passes ans accuracy.

I find this entire thread to be disheartening. The usual suspects are ALREADY second-guessing Beamer and his assistants. Based on just barely more than nothing. Guys, please go back into your holes and come out again in mid-October.

We actually have quite a lot of highly rated players on this roster. Numerous 4* guys and a couple 5*s as well... The DL especially is packed with highly rated players! We return two 5* young guys, the SEC leader in Sacks and we added the NCAA sack leader via the transfer portal. At WR we have multiple 4* guys... at QB, we have still got two 4* guys even after DJ moved to WR and another former 4* transferred out.. We also added a D2 All American (I think he may have been second team AA?) from the portal.

Our talent is a cut above “3 stars across the board”- the job from a player development standpoint is to get the 4*s to play up to their potential, AS A TEAM. That was WM’s biggest failure. He recruited well honestly... but he recruited INDIVIDUALS who played LIKE INDIVIDUALS. They had flashy plays/ games sometimes, and some good individual stats but as a team we were inconsistent because they did not work well as a unit to achieve a unified goal. Beamer seems focused on unity, camaraderie, and bringing out the best in people. I think/hope it will create a better TEAM, and if it does, we have the talent to compete. Not with Bama or clemsun yet, but if we play together and guys play to the best of their ability- we can compete with most of the SEC. If we get a bunch of guys trying to shiw off for scouts and not playing together- it will be more of the same: up and down performances with random big wins when one talented guy has a game where he plays out of his mind (IE- Horn vs AU last year), and a bunch of ugly losses where we loom disjointed and lost in the rest fo the games (the entire rest fo the season).
Great encouraging post. I may get over excited about this upcoming season despite the letdowns of that former A-hole coach.

Yeah, we will have multiple guys drafted this year despite the “3*” evals they have received in this thread. I guess the NFL sucks at talent evaluation...
Who off of this team besides maybe Engabare and maybe Harris if he decides to leave?

Who off of this team besides maybe Engabare and maybe Harris if he decides to leave?
*JFTR I was referring to the draft happening this weekend and the handful of players from our two win team who will be drafted... As to guys on the roster now who could be drafted next year?- Impossible to tell before the season has been played. Harris was barely an after thought to anyone beyond avid fans of our team prior to last season, then he lead the SEC in rushing. Who knows who will break out this year? Enagbare could have been drafted this year though- assuming he stays healthy and plays at that level again certainly he will get drafted. If Nick Muse has a good season he could make a roster in the NFL- he has the ability to get open and he is big enough and a good enough blocker to be of value at the next level. Shi Smith was nowhere on the NFL radar prior to last season either, we will have to find someone to throw the ball to outside of the TE and RB positions... Likely we find another producer at WR.. If Jenkins for example has a year in the SEC similar to what he was doing at his last school, with his size, he will get some looks. If he is a bust- obviously not... We have some really good players on the DL, including last year’s NCAA sack leader we got from the portal.. if he does anything similar to that this year, in the SEC, you better believe they will want him in the NFL... There are some BIG upper classmen on our OL who certainly hope to get drafted... I do not pretend to know exactly which ones have the best shot, I am no NFL draft analyst, but Wonnum and Turentine are seniors who certainly have NFL size. Parker White has been a pretty reliable kicker but I certainly do not expect him to be drafted and other than MAYBE Roderick I cannot think of anyone in the secondary who is an upperclassman who has much of a shot at the NFL. LB- maybe Johnson or Greene? Again it all depends on how they play this year, if they stay healthy, how good/bad of a season we have... I certainly don’t expect anywhere near all of those guys to get drafted, but those are some names who COULD BE if they have a good year.

I doubt either QB knows the offense that much better than the other at this point. Doty had some “study time” over Brown but they have the same number of practices/scrimmages under their belt working for coach Satt... The cream will rise to the top. The issue our fanbase seems to have is trusting the coaches when they say one guy is better than the other... I hope we can avoid any rumors of illicit deals or agreements/ shady favoritism this year regarding the QB starter... There is not reason to assume any coach would be tied to one player over another based off past loyalty/familiarity. Doty is the presumptive starter after starting most of the last half of last year. It is no surprise he is the current starter after Spring ball, but that designation is certainly no guarantee he holds the job long term either.
No matter who earns the spot, fans will want the other. It's funny to me that some asking for Brown to be the starter are also the same ppl wanting Doty to start last year so he could've developed more. I don't know how they pick both sides.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT