ADVERTISEMENT

Beamer names Doty starter...QB competition not close

No matter who earns the spot, fans will want the other. It's funny to me that some asking for Brown to be the starter are also the same ppl wanting Doty to start last year so he could've developed more. I don't know how they pick both sides.
Let's be honest, Brown is just a place holder until the next new face, and then the next one. All I know is that Doty as a true freshman was better than Shaw as a true freshman on everything attempts per interception and velocity and people are already saying he'll never be a serviceable QB.

And these people will claim they never wanted Shaw benched for Thompson, but I bet they did. It's funny how people remember it different. Half the fanbase and most of the vocal ones didn't support Shaw until hallway through his senior year, but to hear it told now, everyone knew he had magic the first time he took the field in a Carolina uniform. Truth of it is that Shaw played well as a sophomore, grew into great as a senior and none of that could be told from the two interceptions he threw in two possessions at Auburn in 2010. Doty gives a languishing team an immediate boost, albeit when the team was a shell and half the players couldn't even take the field and all anyone says is he didn't get it done. All he did is so I'm behind an OL that lost it's confidence and couldn't protect him to avoid a pass rush left and right to get dimes to WRs the rare time they get open to watch them drop it and take off for 5 to 15 yards with the world collapsing around him and do it all with a smile but no, he was the problem and we'll never win with him.

No matter who earns the spot, fans will want the other. It's funny to me that some asking for Brown to be the starter are also the same ppl wanting Doty to start last year so he could've developed more. I don't know how they pick both sides.
Fans are fickle. We want guys to be Joe Montana the second they step on the field without any pieces around them. If they aren’t- burn it, on to the next! Our fans turned on Bentley, gave up on Hilinsky, some seem to be giving up on Doty and he has started what? 4 games for us? All of them on a team that was falling apart because the coach was fired mid season and half the team quit (some outright, some kept playing but clearly mailed it in) or were injured? Nah, I am still in a wait and see for Doty. Coaches see good things in practice- if we give him an actual offense with some actual receivers and a real game plan... He may surprise some people!

Fans are fickle. We want guys to be Joe Montana the second they step on the field without any pieces around them. If they aren’t- burn it, on to the next! Our fans turned on Bentley, gave up on Hilinsky, some seem to be giving up on Doty and he has started what? 4 games for us? All of them on a team that was falling apart because the coach was fired mid season and half the team quit (some outright, some kept playing but clearly mailed it in) or were injured? Nah, I am still in a wait and see for Doty. Coaches see good things in practice- if we give him an actual offense with some actual receivers and a real game plan... He may surprise some people!
OL clearly lost it's confidence. The fact he was able to avoid enough of the rush to get any pass off should've earned him more good faith around here. The only receiver who believed they could pull anything off at that point was Muse who benefited from being one of two viable targets for Doty. If the OL can get confidence and we can get some more Muses, no reason we can't win with Doty.

OL clearly lost it's confidence. The fact he was able to avoid enough of the rush to get any pass off should've earned him more good faith around here. The only receiver who believed they could pull anything off at that point was Muse who benefited from being one of two viable targets for Doty. If the OL can get confidence and we can get some more Muses, no reason we can't win with Doty.
I am hoping for the best. If Brown wins the job for this season it may honestly not be a terrible thing for Luke to take another year to learn from the sidelines and improve. If Doty wins- It is good that we have a guy behind him with experience and some ability... Depth is a good thing.

3 games

I believe we have the weapons. The formations shown in the SG are formations that cause defensive problems. When we get into a game week and we can attack a defense weaknesses.

Reactions: john8220
Let's be honest, Brown is just a place holder until the next new face, and then the next one. All I know is that Doty as a true freshman was better than Shaw as a true freshman on everything attempts per interception and velocity and people are already saying he'll never be a serviceable QB.

And these people will claim they never wanted Shaw benched for Thompson, but I bet they did. It's funny how people remember it different. Half the fanbase and most of the vocal ones didn't support Shaw until hallway through his senior year, but to hear it told now, everyone knew he had magic the first time he took the field in a Carolina uniform. Truth of it is that Shaw played well as a sophomore, grew into great as a senior and none of that could be told from the two interceptions he threw in two possessions at Auburn in 2010. Doty gives a languishing team an immediate boost, albeit when the team was a shell and half the players couldn't even take the field and all anyone says is he didn't get it done. All he did is so I'm behind an OL that lost it's confidence and couldn't protect him to avoid a pass rush left and right to get dimes to WRs the rare time they get open to watch them drop it and take off for 5 to 15 yards with the world collapsing around him and do it all with a smile but no, he was the problem and we'll never win with him.
Shaw had better yards per attempt, qb rating, completion percentage, much better rushing stats,

Shaw had better yards per attempt, qb rating, completion percentage, much better rushing stats,
Shaw also had a better team around him from top to bottom, especially when it comes to receivers and he was playing for the best offensive mind to ever coach here. Doty had no receivers left when he came in, a recently fired coach, a team that had flat quit on the season and an interim coach who was a lying snake with one foot out the door. Not a real fair comparison all things considered

Not as a freshman when I'm pretty sure he only played against Auburn. That's the caveat I've been arguing the whole time.
Shaw's first start, 50% completion, qbr uber 30

Doty's first start, 60% completion qbr over 50.

Doty against UGA as a true freshman.
18 of 24 with a qbr of 72.

Doty was a better FRESHMAN than Connor Shaw.

Try again.
My bad, I only remember him getting reps against Auburn. But the rest of that is mop up duty against lesser talent surrounded by better talent. Shaw never in his career had a talent gap between the players around him and the UGA defense that Doty had. Anyone of Doty's performances is more impressive than that auburn performance because auburn really wasn't that good on defense, the O carried them and it was the only time winning was on Connor vs Doty in the games he played. I would also vet Doty wouldn't look too bad if he had Sanders, Saunders, Gurley and Alshon to throw to behind the OL we had in 2010.

Last edited:
Doty is getting ripped as a passer for going 5 for 7? Those two incompletions must have been monumental.

Well, he didn't have any completions in the 7 on 7 drills (neither did Brown I don't think...could be wrong) which seems to have been a big deal.

Overall, he apparently didn't pass the "eye test." It was a weird spring game and I thought he looked ok, as much as you can make any judgement on 7 passes. Just funny to me that folks are trying to appear so know-it-all about QBs after seeing Brown throw 5 passes in game action.

Translation about what fans want: we want wins

Reactions: Gamecock Lifer
Gamecock fans analyzing Brown's 5 spring game pass attempts:

giphy.gif

Well, he didn't have any completions in the 7 on 7 drills (neither did Brown I don't think...could be wrong) which seems to have been a big deal.

Overall, he apparently didn't pass the "eye test." It was a weird spring game and I thought he looked ok, as much as you can make any judgement on 7 passes. Just funny to me that folks are trying to appear so know-it-all about QBs after seeing Brown throw 5 passes in game action.
I stopped getting excited about spring game performances after Connor Mitch lit it up. Doty looked pretty good to me. In the interest of full-disclosure, I never played QB in the SEC as most of the posters on here have, so I'm at a disadvantage in evaluating talent.

Gamecock fans analyzing Brown's 5 spring game pass attempts:

giphy.gif
There is actually a really good breakdown on TOS by a guy name L80 of both Doty and Browns passes and really highlights all the right things Brown did in the small sample.

Also Doty completed like 2/7 in the 3rd down/Goal line situation and brown went 2/3 with a TD.

There is actually a really good breakdown on TOS by a guy name L80 of both Doty and Browns passes and really highlights all the right things Brown did in the small sample.

Also Doty completed like 2/7 in the 3rd down/Goal line situation and brown went 2/3 with a TD.
BROWN OCD

Weren’t you a fan of the Beamer hire and you’re already second guessing him?
Yes just because you are fan doesn’t mean you have to agree blindly with them. Also not sure really disagreeing yet.

Naming Doty for the summer is not a guarantee he will start the first game.

but brown is clearly a much better passer

Is that an article or member posting?

Brown looks like a QB, and yes that can be seen in the limited view we had. Doty still looks like he’s trying to solve a calculus problem.

I think Spurrier is one of if not the preeminent football minds in history, but I didn’t agree with some of Spurrier’s QB decisions either; still don’t.

Yes just because you are fan doesn’t mean you have to agree blindly with them. Also not sure really disagreeing yet.

Who the better runner and more importantly who is the better leader. Great passers don't mean jack ish compared to leadership. Ryan Leaf had better arm talent than Peyton Manning. We know who the better qb was.

Who the better runner and more importantly who is the better leader. Great passers don't mean jack ish compared to leadership. Ryan Leaf had better arm talent than Peyton Manning. We know who the better qb was.
That’s a really weird comparison because leaf had an excellent college career and his failures had a lot to do with more than just football

doty is fast but let’s not pretend he averaged 3 yards an attempt last year.

doty is a complete unknown moreso than brown, I would argue

That’s a really weird comparison because leaf had an excellent college career and his failures had a lot to do with more than just football

I don’t disagree about Doty, but let’s not pretend Brown’s stats from St. Francis mean anything. He’s a complete unknown as well.

No he's not he's has played at this level brown has not. And it's not a weird comparison at all. Leaf's drinking problems where a result of not handling pressure of being a franchise qb. Leaf was the better passer of the two, Peyton was the better QB.

No he's not he's has played at this level brown has not. And it's not a weird comparison at all. Leaf's drinking problems where a result of not handling pressure of being a franchise qb. Leaf was the better passer of the two, Peyton was the better QB.
Are you implying brown has a drinking problem?

Upset, actually laughing at the OCD of SOME on here...

Brown looks like a QB, and yes that can be seen in the limited view we had. Doty still looks like he’s trying to solve a calculus problem.

I think Spurrier is one of if not the preeminent football minds in history, but I didn’t agree with some of Spurrier’s QB decisions either; still don’

I don’t disagree about Doty, but let’s not pretend Brown’s stats from St. Francis mean anything. He’s a complete unknown as well.
Y'all are going to have Browns "Number One Fan" (Misery flashback) analyzing those 7 passes for another week if you keep putting down his man! 😂😂

Last edited:
Two times Jenkins ran patterns in the end zone with Doty passing. The first one the ball placement was good and Jenkins was knocked down with the ball in the air, would've been a touchdown (Good play by Roderick, you aren't winning that matchup, interfere for the penalty over the TD). Second pass was the only good coverage against Jenkins (that one shouldn't have been flagged). That's the whole difference in the performance, Jenkins, who is a matchup nightmare, running free versus not. The pass in his second possession Doty completed to Joyner had zip and great placement against really tight coverage between defenders. Y'all got it wrong. This is why Beamer said he saw nothing to change how he felt yesterday, because he got one out under pressure and completed to big ones to a wide open 6'8" receiver, Doty would make those same plays if they were his to make.

I remember thinking McEvoy was the future one year. Don't make too much of the spring game
McEvoy should have had a good future at SC....at some position. The guy went to WI and played three different positions and parlayed that into a few years as a starter for the Seahawks.

Y'all are going to have Browns "Number One Fan" (Misery flashback) analyzing those 7 passes for another week if you keep putting down his man! 😂😂

I'm certainly not knocking Brown. I just don't know anything about him. FCS stats are pretty meaningless. So he's just a total unknown to us right now, and 5 spring practice game snaps can't change that.

It kind of reminds me of last season when people psyched themselves into thinking Collin Hill was going to be a serviceable QB.

I'm certainly not knocking Brown. I just don't know anything about him. FCS stats are pretty meaningless. So he's just a total unknown to us right now, and 5 spring practice game snaps can't change that.

It kind of reminds me of last season when people psyched themselves into thinking Collin Hill was going to be a serviceable QB.
The thing is he wasn’t throwing a slant and Debo takes it 40 yards, everyone of his 7 passes weren’t where they Should with really good timing

a lot of the guys y’all are claiming to be similar were throwing jump balls or hitting a rb on a swing pass and taking it 20 yards

for example 35 of Doty’s yards were from passes behind the line of scrimmage 8 yard swing to dak and a 25 ish yard screen to white - those passes don’t tell you anything

I mean if y’all didn’t see Doty absolutely struggling to throw the ball at the spring game idk what to tell you - it was pretty evident even in the small sample size

The thing is he wasn’t throwing a slant and Debo takes it 40 yards, everyone of his 7 passes weren’t where they Should with really good timing

a lot of the guys y’all are claiming to be similar were throwing jump balls or hitting a rb on a swing pass and taking it 20 yards

for example 35 of Doty’s yards were from passes behind the line of scrimmage 8 yard swing to dak and a 25 ish yard screen to white - those passes don’t tell you anything

I mean if y’all didn’t see Doty absolutely struggling to throw the ball at the spring game idk what to tell you - it was pretty evident even in the small sample size

I saw him make some really good reads, take what the defense was giving him and fitting the ball in some tight windows. Brown looked pretty good also. I'm just well aware that, of the hundreds of snaps these guys have taken this spring, we've seen less than 10 total from each guy.

Reactions: Joe MorrisonLives
I saw him make some really good reads, take what the defense was giving him and fitting the ball in some tight windows. Brown looked pretty good also. I'm just well aware that, of the hundreds of snaps these guys have taken this spring, we've seen less than 10 total from each guy.
Idk a lot of Doty’s completions weren’t the best reads (the two two to dak) one was barely above a pair of line backers which was very reminiscent of his pick to mizzou and the other was in triple coverage that an sec secondary probably picks off

the first pass to dak he also had ej on a similar route but much more open for yac

I actually can’t think of a pass past the los that a wr had any yac

both of those players there were much more wide open options

Shaw also had a better team around him from top to bottom, especially when it comes to receivers and he was playing for the best offensive mind to ever coach here. Doty had no receivers left when he came in, a recently fired coach, a team that had flat quit on the season and an interim coach who was a lying snake with one foot out the door. Not a real fair comparison all things considered
True....and we are in the same boat now with Receivers, TEs, OL.
Yes- we have upgraded RBs you have to assume going in (no jinx)....but the fact that we will have to rely on throwing to the TE 12-13 times per game due to lack of WR players paired with a (hopefully) bruising run game will have defenses packing the box and making our offense pedestrian and slow. It's going to be ugly...and some will say boring. I just hope it is effective as possible and we somehow get to 4-5 wins this year.

Reactions: uscnoklahoma2
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT