ADVERTISEMENT

Beamer on BoBo

If Bobo wasn't his first choice, then why didn't Beamer dismiss him immediately? That's certainly what happened with the former DC.

So the logic only applies in one direction?
EeB8o3NWkAUygGZ.jpg

What do you mean?
Someone earlier said that Bobo couldn't have been Beamer's first choice since he wasn't announced immediately. I was simply showing how the same type of logic can be applied to imply the opposite.

Now Beamer is quoted as saying that 2 SEC coaches called him to say Bobo is a homerun hire? Why is he even saying this? I guess that settles it then. 4 of 5 SEC coaches agree. Ugh! We need to change this news cycle and fast.

Someone earlier said that Bobo couldn't have been Beamer's first choice since he wasn't announced immediately. I was simply showing how the same type of logic can be applied to imply the opposite.

But it doesn’t because Bobo was the interim HC responsible for preparing the team for the bowl game.

Threads like this are a good way to see all the malcontents in one area. I’m a malcontent based on our last two years, but I’m giving Beamer a chance because I’m a gamecock fan. Bobo is a damn good offensive coordinator......It was obvious he was handcuffed by WM and as soon as he was gone made a quarterback change. It was a start. And bobo has one thing right, you’ve got to run the ball to be able to pass especially when your receivers are very limited in their escapability

Last edited:
Threads like this or a good way to see all the malcontents in one area. I’m a malcontent based on our last two years, but I’m giving Beamer a chance because I’m a gamecock fan. Bobo is a damn good off as a coordinator......It was obvious he was handcuffed by WM and as soon as he was gone made a quarterback change. It was a start. And bobo has one thing right, you’ve got to run the ball to be able to pass especially when your receivers are very limited in their escapability
Hill started Bobo’s first game as interim HC so he did not make a quarterback change as soon as Muschamp left. He still tried to go with his guy.

Now Beamer is quoted as saying that 2 SEC coaches called him to say Bobo is a homerun hire? Why is he even saying this? I guess that settles it then. 4 of 5 SEC coaches agree. Ugh! We need to change this news cycle and fast.
I’m sure Mark Stoops and Clark Lea did call him and tell him that. They probably were fighting back the laughter but they still said it.

If he was a candidate, then he was a candidate, And I FULLY believe he was being considered for the OC position. I don't think he was the top choice though. Not that I care, I like Bobo.

Reactions: kotr
If you watched Oklahoma and USC , then only a blind man would believe that the offenses are similar ? That is one of the dumbest statements yet ! Beamer must think that USC fans are stupid with some of the garbage he is feeding ! He might as well go get T Rob back as DC now too !
How are they different?

Never has Bobo’s offensive philosophy been similar to Lincoln Riley ! Bobo has always been a full back , run oriented offense with multiple tight end formations . Oklahoma is polar opposite , 4-5 wide spread formations with the intention of spreading the defense out in order to run ! Huge differences ! USC is several recruiting classes away from loading up with the personnel needed to run Oklahoma’s offense .
OU hardly ever goes 5 wide, they mostly run 3 receivers with an Hback moving around to create mismatches

See post above . The differences are glaring ! One team huddles after each play The other pushes the tempo , one team employs a lot of fullback sets, the other does not even have a true fullback on roster . Seriously, do you honestly think that Bobo is a true spread type coach ? If so you have not followed his past coaching stops. All I am saying is if Beamer was truthful about coordinators calling him, then Bobo would not have been the 1st choice to lead an up tempo, Oklahoma style offense ! I think everyone with any rational thoughts now realizes he was forced to hire Bobo because of contractual obligations !

Reactions: SOSUSC
See post above . The differences are glaring ! One team huddles after each play The other pushes the tempo , one team employs a lot of fullback sets, the other does not even have a true fullback on roster . Seriously, do you honestly think that Bobo is a true spread type coach ? If so you have not followed his past coaching stops. All I am saying is if Beamer was truthful about coordinators calling him, then Bobo would not have been the 1st choice to lead an up tempo, Oklahoma style offense ! I think everyone with any rational thoughts now realizes he was forced to hire Bobo because of contractual obligations !
A H back is just a full back/tight end hybrid.

OU is not an up tempo offense

You’re right Bobo does like to huddle

Bobo implemented a lot of spread at CSU

Once again they aren’t identical but not as far as y’all are implying which is whaBeamer said

I have no issue with retaining BoBo after hearing Beamers reasoning. It is true that he came into a dumpster fire with not even a spring practice and managed to make the offense “better”. The question is can they (Beamer, BoBo and staff) pull in the athletes needed to run their cutting edge system? We need big ass WRs and running backs and an offensive line like Alabama has, Clemson has, Texas a&m has.

These are Beamer's exact words about Bobo's offense and Oklahomas. From a guy that's been coaching college football for twenty years. Who grew up under Hall of Fame coach. A guy that has lived and breathed X's and O's since he was born. Unless you can match his resume I think I will go with his evaluation over yours....

“I hear people say, ‘His offense is completely different than what you did at Oklahoma,’ and that couldn’t be further from the truth. Anybody who says that probably hasn’t watched a lot of Oklahoma football this year. People hear ‘Air Raid’ and Oklahoma and think that we throw it around 70 times per game and we’re going uptempo and all that stuff, that’s not us at all.

“Oklahoma’s offense has set records year in and year out and we’ve done it actually running the ball more than we’ve thrown in the last five years. I don’t know what the stats are this year but I know going into this year, we’ve run it more than thrown it. People say Mike Bobo uses a full back, well so does Oklahoma. We call it an H Back to make it sound fancier. But it's the same thing. And we do a lot with them. So offensively its very similar......Shane Beamer

You realize I'm not the one who made Beamer lie, right?

He very well could have come in and said something like, "When I got to USC they already had an exceptional coordinator in Mike Bobo. I believe in the direction he's taking the offensive..."

Instead he came out and told us something that's blatantly not true. Like I said, that's a decision Beamer made and it isn't a good start to his career as our HC.
What lie? He couldn't have been first choice because he waited 3 weeks? How many weeks did he wait to name Rocker, Kitchens, and Peterson? And the three new hires.....3 weeks. He didn't have an announcement or press conference every time he made a hire or decision. So you are saying he is lying about other OCs calling him? Or when they were calling? Maybe you should get his email address so you can email him and call him a liar. Or show up at his office and yell it at him. Better yet, such a gift could be better utilized in a court of law where you could simply tell the jury if a witness is lying or not.

Reactions: WingchunCock
None of the former players have to play for Bono! However some current players were unwilling to play under him in the bowl game ! This should have told you all you needed to know ! Beamer had to clean house and start fresh and has failed to do so ! He said and I quote “ I have coordinators from all over the country calling about coming to South Carolina “. It does not add up !
I read the articles saying some players didn't want to play for Bobo, but I never read why? Was there a reason given as to why they didn't want to play for him?

"I don’t know what the stats are this year but I know going into this year, we’ve run it more than thrown it. ....Shane Beamer"
He's right. They ran it more than they threw it. Plays - Pass/Run: 337/379

In contrast, Miss St/Leach.....Pass/Run: 527/174

I read the articles saying some players didn't want to play for Bobo, but I never read why? Was there a reason given as to why they didn't want to play for him?
Link? What "articles" ? Or is this just message board speculation? Beamer has stated that several seniors have said they want to come back. When they could choose to move on.

Hill started Bobo’s first game as interim HC so he did not make a quarterback change as soon as Muschamp left. He still tried to go with his guy.

he made the adjustments at halftime of his first game as interim head coach. Will should’ve made that adjustment numerous times over five years. He did not. Bobos playcalling was good....execution not so good.

Last edited:
Link? What "articles" ? Or is this just message board speculation? Beamer has stated that several seniors have said they want to come back. When they could choose to move on.
Mike UVA from WachFox reported it when the bowl game was canceled.

he made the adjustments at halftime of his first game as interim head coach. We all should’ve made that adjustment numerous times over five years. He did not. Bobos playcalling was good....execution not so good.
That’s fine but if the argument is being attempted that Bobo wanted to play Doty and Muschamp wouldn’t let him then he would have started Doty over Hill as soon as he got a chance which he didn’t do.

I hate it when anyone says an unnamed party provided information or an endorsement. Just name the names or don't say it. It adds nothing to the conversation.

If you watched Oklahoma and USC , then only a blind man would believe that the offenses are similar ? That is one of the dumbest statements yet ! Beamer must think that USC fans are stupid with some of the garbage he is feeding ! He might as well go get T Rob back as DC now too !
How do you EXPECT our offenses to look familiar with our personel compared with theirs...lol you guys must not understand that offensive(and defensive) philosophies and play calling doesn’t exactly LOOK the same on the surface ( do you think a play ran behind our line with our players AGAINST SEC defenses is gonna look EXACTLY like Oklahoma vs. the defenses(i say defenses,tongue in cheek, lol) in THAT conference????wow....

How do you EXPECT our offenses to look familiar with our personel compared with theirs...lol you guys must not understand that offensive(and defensive) philosophies and play calling doesn’t exactly LOOK the same on the surface ( do you think a play ran behind our line with our players AGAINST SEC defenses is gonna look EXACTLY like Oklahoma vs. the defenses(i say defenses,tongue in cheek, lol) in THAT conference????wow....

While this is fair on its own, it ignores the reality that Bobo’s offense has never looked like Oklahoma’s. Even when he was at UGA with similar to greater talent than Oklahoma.

We need to have an honest conversation. Is Bobo a bad coordinator? Absolutely not. But it’s dishonest to say he runs an Oklahoma style offense.

We were sold that Beamer could bring in an amazing staff. So that’s why people are disappointed because it turns out Beamer can’t.

Last edited:
While this is fair on its own, it ignores the reality that Bobo’s offense has never looked like Oklahoma’s. Even when he was at UGA with similar to greater talent than Oklahoma.

We need to have an honest conversation. Is Bobo a bad coordinator? Absolutely not. But it’s dishonest to say he runs an Oklahoma style offense.

We were sold that Beamer could bring in an amazing staff. So that’s why people are disappointed because it turns out Beamer can’t.
Let’s reserve judgement on the staff until the season is underway. Bobo could have been restricted by Muschamp. Beamer already said he was going to install some of the OU offense here. Give him a chance instead of criticizing every move.

There isn’t a single staff member who should’ve been kept (save Des maybe) because the RB’s were very solid considering still inconsistent OL play, and no passing threat to speak of. Realistically, no one from Moose’s staff should’ve been leftover for reasons too obvious to mention. No way in hell Shane doesn’t/didn’t have plenty of notes somewhere of his potential staff for when he became a HC if that was really his dream. No way Bobo was on it. No, I’m afraid this was Raymond taking power from the jump from our HC instead of truly having faith in him after telling us (again) that he’d found his man.

There isn’t a single staff member who should’ve been kept (save Des maybe) because the RB’s were very solid considering still inconsistent OL play, and no passing threat to speak of. Realistically, no one from Moose’s staff should’ve been leftover for reasons too obvious to mention. No way in hell Shane doesn’t/didn’t have plenty of notes somewhere of his potential staff for when he became a HC if that was really his dream. No way Bobo was on it. No, I’m afraid this was Raymond taking power from the jump from our HC instead of truly having faith in him after telling us (again) that he’d found his man.
You have zero proof, just speculation. Rocker was only hired in February, he is widely Regarded as a great DL coach. Bobo hasnt had a decent group of WRs to work with so the jury is still out on him. Speculation that Tanner is calling the shots is not based on any evidence or facts.

You have zero proof, just speculation. Rocker was only hired in February, he is widely Regarded as a great DL coach. Bobo hasnt had a decent group of WRs to work with so the jury is still out on him. Speculation that Tanner is calling the shots is not based on any evidence or facts.

Maybe it is just baseless speculation, but many of us have seen this movie before. If there was ever a need for a clean break, this was it. And I was reasonably excited about the Beamer hire despite his lack of HC experience, but pretty much everyone from the former regime is tainted by association, so many were hoping he’d at least put together a truly great (new) staff. Regardless, we all have to deal with it now, however it goes.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT