ADVERTISEMENT

Beamer top candidate at Oklahoma.

I disagree. He is effectively 'home' with his dream job making good money turning a program around and creating the opportunity to make more, much more. Even 'blueblood' job offers are not always tempting, but they are bargaining chips to get the things you need to win and become one of the big boys.

Coach Beamer doesn't want to coach at Oklahoma, he wants to beat them, Clemson, Alabama, and you know the others.
lol. This is embarrassing if you actually believe this.

Reactions: BlueCord86
lol. This is embarrassing if you actually believe this.
Don't be embarrassed, I say what I believe and stand by it. In 2018 a 7 win Gamecock team was shut out by Virginia in the Belk Bowl. 2017 was a decent season with 9 wins and a bowl win over Michigan. Other than 2017 you would have to go back 9 years to find a season more successful than Beamer's first if they win their bowl game. That would make them 7-6 his first year.

How about giving him 3 or even 4 years to prove himself. Dabo had a losing record his 3rd season and was nearly fired. The AD put his neck on the line to keep him and it seems to have been a good idea.

Don't be embarrassed, I say what I believe and stand by it. In 2018 a 7 win Gamecock team was shut out by Virginia in the Belk Bowl. 2017 was a decent season with 9 wins and a bowl win over Michigan. Other than 2017 you would have to go back 9 years to find a season more successful than Beamer's first if they win their bowl game. That would make them 7-6 his first year.

How about giving him 3 or even 4 years to prove himself. Dabo had a losing record his 3rd season and was nearly fired. The AD put his neck on the line to keep him and it seems to have been a good idea.
The only coach I know that hasn't been a mercenary has been Snyder at K State. The rest seemingly move at will with a significant pay increase. Most workers do the same.

The only coach I know that hasn't been a mercenary has been Snyder at K State. The rest seemingly move at will with a significant pay increase. Most workers do the same.
Now the players are the mercenaries, are they not? But the portal is like a genie, promising you 3 wishes. The biggest problem is you can't put the genie back in the bottle. I remember another Beamer that wasn't a mercenary, I just don't see the fruit (Shane) falling far from the tree (Frank).

Frank Beamer was hired by V Tech in 1987 and didn't reach a bowl until 1993, though he did have 2 winning seasons during the build. But beginning in 1993 they went to a bowl every year for the rest of his long tenure, winning half of them.

Gathering the right assistant coaches and players to fit your scheme takes time. You don't always or even often get your first choice in either one while you're building and it shows. Ugly takes awhile to wash away. Did you know that FSU has never really been successful without Bobby Bowden? Either before or after.

Give Shane a minute to re-Spurrier the Gamecocks. Spurrier proved they can become winners, let's be certain before we decide if Beamer can do it also. Maybe he won't, they still mostly look ugly to me. But what if he does?

Now the players are the mercenaries, are they not? But the portal is like a genie, promising you 3 wishes. The biggest problem is you can't put the genie back in the bottle. I remember another Beamer that wasn't a mercenary, I just don't see the fruit (Shane) falling far from the tree (Frank).

Frank Beamer was hired by V Tech in 1987 and didn't reach a bowl until 1993, though he did have 2 winning seasons during the build. But beginning in 1993 they went to a bowl every year for the rest of his long tenure, winning half of them.

Gathering the right assistant coaches and players to fit your scheme takes time. You don't always or even often get your first choice in either one while you're building and it shows. Ugly takes awhile to wash away. Did you know that FSU has never really been successful without Bobby Bowden? Either before or after.

Give Shane a minute to re-Spurrier the Gamecocks. Spurrier proved they can become winners, let's be certain before we decide if Beamer can do it also. Maybe he won't, they still mostly look ugly to me. But what if he does?
You're right about Frank...lol. I guess you could put some other older coaches on there but Snyder is the only one left off the top of my head.

Valid point. You have an open mind nothing wrong with that.
Yes, I'm open minded but not a fan of Beamer. His offense proves to me he will struggle there because he is depend on an excellent OC. I preferred someone with offensive experience and can coach Qbs. Beamer has not been a coordinator on either side of the ball, hes basically a rah rah guy a lot like Dabo and supposedly can recruit. Problem is, he's coaching at SC and not Clemson or Oklahoma.

Last edited:
Hell, anyone could recruit to Okla, especially when one of the selling points for a QB was getting to play in a Lincoln Riley offense. Even a dumb ass such as yourself could have landed Williams.

Our recruiting is so bad right now they can't use a single example of good recruiting here so they're stuck using Oklahoma's recruiting.

That's how bad things are for us.

Our recruiting is so bad right now they can't use a single example of good recruiting here so they're stuck using Oklahoma's recruiting.

That's how bad things are for us.
To be fair, Beamer for now has us in the Top 25, basically where we usually are. Let's see where we end up. There's still time and see what the portal can bring.

Reactions: WingchunCock
Yes, I'm open minded but not a fan of Beamer. His offense proves to me he will struggle there because he is depend on an excellent OC. I preferred someone with offensive experience and can coach Qbs. Beamer has not been a coordinator on either side of the ball, hes basically a rah rah guy a lot like Dabo and supposedly can recruit. Problem is, he's coaching at SC and not Clemson or Oklahoma.
Not really sure why where he is coaching matters. A lot of schools are moving to that model. Even saban as adapted the ceo model somewhat. I think it’s just the way things are going.

Somehow I take little solace in that statement, if anything I find it depressing.

Not really sure why where he is coaching matters. A lot of schools are moving to that model. Even saban as adapted the ceo model somewhat. I think it’s just the way things are going.
Surely, you're not comparing Coach Saban's background to Beamer's and where you are coaching does matter. Most top programs have history as such and prime recruiting grounds or can recruit nationally because of who they are, none of which SC possesses.

Reactions: Lakecock1
Surely, you're not comparing Coach Saban's background to Beamer's and where you are coaching does matter. Most top programs have history as such and prime recruiting grounds or can recruit nationally because of who they are, none of which SC possesses.
No not at all. My point is per your post you feel the CEO model will not work and I was just pointing out that a lot of the successful schools are using that very model. Days where the head coach has a major part in one side of the ball during a game are changing. I only mentioned saban because he has alluded to this very thing before. He agrees it’s the way college football is going

Last edited:
No not at all. My point is per your post you feel the CEO model will not work and I was just pointing out that a lot of the successful schools are using that very model. Days where the head coach has a major part in one side of the ball during a game are changing. I only mentioned saban because he has alluded to this very thing before. He agrees it’s the way college football is going
Well, it can work, Dabo is proof. Just think it's more the exception than the rule.

I certainly don't think he's a top candidate, but every candidate list I've read mentions him as a reasonable choice, which seems surprising to me. Don't get me wrong, I think he did a fantastic job here this season, but it would be surprising if that translated into landing one of the top gigs in the country.

I heard on the radio in Florence that Ken Ard had talked to someone in the state department and he's saying Venables will be announced as their new HC within the next 48 hrs. He was the Lieutenant Governor or whatever so I'd imagine he has some contacts.

We are currently in the top 25. That is where we normally are. You are just grasping at straws looking for something to complain about.

I think that ranking validates his complaint though, right? Top 25, right where we normally are. For someone who's recruiting is their calling card, being in the same usual spot isn't resounding success.

I think that ranking validates his complaint though, right? Top 25, right where we normally are. For someone who's recruiting is their calling card, being in the same usual spot isn't resounding success.
We are top 25 based on the potential for early playing time. We went 6-6 in a year the experts predicted 3-4 wins. Let’s see what happens between now and National Signing Day.

We are top 25 based on the potential for early playing time. We went 6-6 in a year the experts predicted 3-4 wins. Let’s see what happens between now and National Signing Day.
Signing day is in 2 weeks. What big name prospect are you expecting to come aboard between now and then?

We are top 25. You could have stopped there as there are numerous reasons.

But you're right, a lot can change between now and NSD. Just remember that all the teams around us are looking to move up too.

Exactly. Under Muschamp we were Top 20. So the goalposts have already moved down to Top 25 instead of Top 20.

Exactly. Under Muschamp we were Top 20. So the goalposts have already moved down to Top 25 instead of Top 20.

That’s the early period. There’s another one later. And if we are top 25 which we typically are, how does that equate to being so bad as you claimed? You’re just overreacting as usual.
lol last year you guys argued that second signing day was irrelevant because all the best prospects sign on the early signing period. Now you’re arguing the second signing day matters?

And I’ve already pointed out, under Muschamp we were a top 20 recruiting team. So being in the Top 25 would be doing worse than normal.

That’s the early period. There’s another one later. And if we are top 25 which we typically are, how does that equate to being so bad as you claimed? You’re just overreacting as usual.

If we can back off the usual back and forth for a minute, I think you two are arguing different things.

Top 25 is not "so bad" or even "bad". The comment was that it's no better than usual. And that doesn't equate with the claims that Beamer was going to be a great recruiter.

Reactions: rogue cock
lol last year you guys argued that second signing day was irrelevant because all the best prospects sign on the early signing period. Now you’re arguing the second signing day matters?

And I’ve already pointed out, under Muschamp we were a top 20 recruiting team. So being in the Top 25 would be doing worse than normal.
I never said that. You’re just making up stuff to argue about. We are currently #21. You said we were so bad we had nothing to offer to recruits.
You create straw man arguments and constantly move the goalposts.

If we can back off the usual back and forth for a minute, I think you two are arguing different things.

Top 25 is not "so bad" or even "bad". The comment was that it's no better than usual. And that doesn't equate with the claims that Beamer was going to be a great recruiter.
Nor does it equate with our recruiting being “so bad”. Let’s see what happens during this recruiting cycle before declaring it a failure.

I never said that. You’re just making up stuff to argue about. We are currently #21. You said we were so bad we had nothing to offer to recruits.
You create straw man arguments and constantly move the goalposts.
Accuses others of moving the goalposts and strong man arguments, but you can't admit we are recruiting worse under Beamer than we did under Muschamp.

Accuses others of moving the goalposts and strong man arguments, but you can't admit we are recruiting worse under Beamer than we did under Muschamp.
Recruiting class is not done. Muschamps recruiting left us in a poor place. While the ranking was top 20ish the players were rarely developed and we were thin at multiple positions.

Reactions: lakemurraycock1
I think his point is that because of success it is slowly transitioning to be the model.
I get his point. My point is I don't see many examples besides Dabo where a coach is a CEO without extensive experience as a Head Coach. His example of Saban, still rules the roost. He just delegates some responsibility to others. Dabo's success is basically an isolated example of the principle. Not sure from watching the coaching carousel every year that coaches are hired for their ability to be a CEO. Most are hired either for their offensive or defensive acumen and their ability to recruit.

Recruiting class is not done. Muschamps recruiting left us in a poor place. While the ranking was top 20ish the players were rarely developed and we were thin at multiple positions.
Likewise, the recruiting classes aren't done for other teams who will likely pass us.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT