ADVERTISEMENT

Beamer's very early take on the QB battle

GarnetBeamer

Dec 7, 2020
“Somebody has got to come better than Luke,” Beamer said. “If nobody does, then Luke will continue to get the (initial) reps with the first-team. It’s certainly a competition, but those other guys have to make it a competition, too.”

Not a surprise that Doty is out front, just 3 practices into spring ball. If I'm reading into Beamer's comments, it seems the other guys aren't making it much of a competition at this point.

I don't know why Joyner is not a factor in a backup role. Maybe he's not starter material, but he would certainly be capable as a backup. Both coaching staffs speak about his talent and how he "needs to be on the field to make plays" so they put him in the slot or something, but then doesn't get the ball to do anything. So, I don't know.

I don't know why Joyner is not a factor in a backup role. Maybe he's not starter material, but he would certainly be capable as a backup. Both coaching staffs speak about his talent and how he "needs to be on the field to make plays" so they put him in the slot or something, but then doesn't get the ball to do anything. So, I don't know.
DJ as the third string at the very least

DJ as the third string at the very least
Probably. However, Joyner has several years of experience playing college football, in the SEC. If a situation arose where Doty was hurt and had to rest for a series or two, I think Joyner would at least not become rattled with the role and would be least prone to mistakes of inexperience, and hopefully protect the ball, and maybe move the offense instead of resulting in negative plays, turnovers, or punts. But again, I'm certainly no coach. I do count on the coaches to see these guys in practice and place them on the field at their discretion.

Reactions: ken in sacramento
Probably. However, Joyner has several years of experience playing college football, in the SEC. If a situation arose where Doty was hurt and had to rest for a series or two, I think Joyner would at least not become rattled with the role and would be least prone to mistakes of inexperience, and hopefully protect the ball, and maybe move the offense instead of resulting in negative plays, turnovers, or punts. But again, I'm certainly no coach. I do count on the coaches to see these guys in practice and place them on the field at their discretion.
DJ is not a QB at this level. He should get some more “utility” play, but straight QB reps seem unlikely...

DJ is not a QB at this level. He should get some more “utility” play, but straight QB reps seem unlikely...
Sure but I would definitely have more confidence in him taking snaps than Gauthier esp it out offense is set up around doty

At least in the slot he has a chance to play. At backup QB he'd ride the pine unless we got in a blowout.

He wasn't made to play quarterback on any string at this level unless the supply of available bodies is completely depleted.

Very interested to see what the identity of this team will be, if we even find out this season. Are we going for an explosive offense to win shootouts? Efficient offense and efficient defense? Grind it out offense and stout defense?

Very interested to see what the identity of this team will be, if we even find out this season. Are we going for an explosive offense to win shootouts? Efficient offense and efficient defense? Grind it out offense and stout defense?
I think we will see explosive offense and aggressive defense. We may give up a few big plays, but an attacking defense will help our lack of depth.

So the backups are:
- walk-on
- HS guy who just got on campus and likely needs a lot of conditioning
- transfer who hasn't played or had spring practice in a full year and needs a lot of conditioning work

Coaches have their work cut out for 'em.....

Just a backup quarterback to plug a hole during a temporary emergency. Not asking him to be Justin Fields.
I think you’d have to see three guys go down before he saw any time at QB. He just hasn’t been worked there and we had such poor QB evaluation and coaching under Muschamp that even if he had been we’d probably be better off going with anyone who hadn’t worked 3 years with the previous staff.

“Somebody has got to come better than Luke,” Beamer said. “If nobody does, then Luke will continue to get the (initial) reps with the first-team. It’s certainly a competition, but those other guys have to make it a competition, too.”

Not a surprise that Doty is out front, just 3 practices into spring ball. If I'm reading into Beamer's comments, it seems the other guys aren't making it much of a competition at this point.

Strange statement coming from Beamer considering the following:
1. We have only had 3 practices.
2. Jenkins was not at the first practice for undisclosed reason.
3. Only 1 practice has been in full pads.
4. This isn't the summer and early fall. Everyone has to attend classes, study, etc in addition to practice.
5. Next week's 2 practices have now been changed to walk throughs only.

We have a completely new staff, new offensive scheme, new play book, new philosophy, new offensive terminology, a returning incumbent starter who has only started 2 games in his career, a true freshman and a transfer who have never played at this level. The chemistry that Jason Brown and EJ Jenkins had throughout their careers has been altered by the moving of Jenkins to TE.

I think Beamer is being a little overly dramatic here.

He's great with the ball in his hands but he needs to get open to get it. He needs to know how to run his routes and get separation to do that. He's never played WR before college and he didn't focus on it full time until last year. Be patient. We don't want him wasting his talent waiting for someone to get hurt, we want to play him but he's gotta put it together. If he does he's got the gifts and the natural tools to be an NFL player but he's not doing it at QB. Now he's got the best WR coach he's had so maybe he'll light it up this year. If he does, you'll be happy he's not staying at a position he's had every opportunity at and showed he'll never knock off the starters. WR is our best shot to use him and his best shot to reach his potential at this point.

Just a backup quarterback to plug a hole during a temporary emergency. Not asking him to be Justin Fields.
You're asking him to give up on achieving his athletic potential and he doesn't have time left to waste. Better for us and him to play a different position.

He's great with the ball in his hands but he needs to get open to get it. He needs to know how to run his routes and get separation to do that. He's never played WR before college and he didn't focus on it full time until last year. Be patient. We don't want him wasting his talent waiting for someone to get hurt, we want to play him but he's gotta put it together. If he does he's got the gifts and the natural tools to be an NFL player but he's not doing it at QB. Now he's got the best WR coach he's had so maybe he'll light it up this year. If he does, you'll be happy he's not staying at a position he's had every opportunity at and showed he'll never knock off the starters. WR is our best shot to use him and his best shot to reach his potential at this point.
Ok. Just have never seen much from him at WR. If he's that talented, then why doesn't he produce? How much time does it take a talented athlete to learn to be a WR? Apparently, quite a large number learn the position in a year, while in high school.

Reactions: uscnoklahoma2
Ok. Just have never seen much from him at WR. If he's that talented, then why doesn't he produce? How much time does it take a talented athlete to learn to be a WR? Apparently, quite a large number learn the position in a year, while in high school.
Well concerning we have like 5 4 star WR on the roster that have not produced much at all it’s hard to see if the fault is on DJ or not

Only player on roster to have played QB in a fbs win
FragrantBogusHoopoe-size_restricted.gif

Reactions: 92Pony
Nobody we have is pushing him is how I read it. What about that big transfer? I'd he practicing yet?

Satterfield recently gave a brief assessment based on the limited practice time so far. Statement on Brown was kind of generic/vanilla. He's certainly not lighting it up, but they've barely even started practice.

Strange statement coming from Beamer considering the following:
1. We have only had 3 practices.
2. Jenkins was not at the first practice for undisclosed reason.
3. Only 1 practice has been in full pads.
4. This isn't the summer and early fall. Everyone has to attend classes, study, etc in addition to practice.
5. Next week's 2 practices have now been changed to walk throughs only.

We have a completely new staff, new offensive scheme, new play book, new philosophy, new offensive terminology, a returning incumbent starter who has only started 2 games in his career, a true freshman and a transfer who have never played at this level. The chemistry that Jason Brown and EJ Jenkins had throughout their careers has been altered by the moving of Jenkins to TE.

I think Beamer is being a little overly dramatic here.
When you look back at this do I sound like a crazy conspiracy theorist? LOL

• Haha
Reactions: Lakecock1
ADVERTISEMENT