ADVERTISEMENT

Belonging in the SEC...

GandBinNC

GarnetTrust.com Member/Supporter
Jul 12, 2011
Raleigh, NC (from Columbia, SC)
Question for a rainy non-football Saturday... For those of you who have been around a while, when was the first time you felt like Carolina was really an SEC team? Official membership came in 1991, and the first conference football games were played in 1992, but when did you first feel like Carolina truly and absolutely belonged? And what was it that made you feel that way? A certain win? A change in the atmosphere at Williams-Brice?

For me, it was the 1992 USC v Tennessee game. Carolina holds on to win by one after thwarting a Tennessee two point conversion as time expired. This was after an 0-5 start that first SEC season. Carolina was on a roll, lead by Tannyhill & Co. Williams-Brice was wild.

What say you?

Question for a rainy non-football Saturday... For those of you who have been around a while, when was the first time you felt like Carolina was really an SEC team? Official membership came in 1991, and the first conference football games were played in 1992, but when did you first feel like Carolina truly and absolutely belonged? And what was it that made you feel that way? A certain win? A change in the atmosphere at Williams-Brice?

For me, it was the 1992 USC v Tennessee game. Carolina holds on to win by one after thwarting a Tennessee two point conversion as time expired. This was after an 0-5 start that first SEC season. Carolina was on a roll, lead by Tannyhill & Co. Williams-Brice was wild.

What say you?
Well, just to add to your inquiry, I felt we naturally belonged to The SEC the very moment we were offered the opportunity! I mean it was/is just a very fitting concept IMHO; The University of SOUTH CAROLINA as a member of The SOUTHEASTERN CONFERENCE!!

Reactions: GandBinNC
Maybe USC fans feel a part of the SEC. And should. But still feel that USC, Arkansas, Mizzou, and TAMU, are still, and always will be, viewed as Interlopers. Used merely as a means to an end in the money game of expansion for the TV cash.

Reactions: king ward
I don't think we will be viewed as an SEC program until every single person who was alive and old enough to know anything when we entered the league has died.

What say you?
Possibly the back to back bowl wins over Ohio State.

What say you?
Possibly the back to back bowl wins over Ohio State.
Probably after the first win over Bama in 2001, but surely after the 2010 Bama win and SEC East title.

I don't think we will be viewed as an SEC program until every single person who was alive and old enough to know anything when we entered the league has died.
You may be right. We've now been in the SEC longer than we were in the ACC, but there is still a portion of our fan base that longs for the old days.

Reactions: Lakecock1
Times are different. Tastes, attitudes, everything, .... It's all different.

Back in the day, couldn't wait to watch the Paul Deitzel Show on TV, on Sunday Mornings, at South Tower. It was kinda like goin' to church, only better. Win, Lose, or Tie ... You WATCHED!!! You learned Humility! You learned Loyalty!, ... You met Sophomores!!!

Later, in life, I couldn't read the Sunday paper, after a Gamecock loss. Not only the sports section but, any of it. What difference did it make now?

Don't pick on Spurs & Feathers! For a long time, they were my only link (pun intended} with Gamecock sports. Gamecocks ... gets into you're blood. I don't understand all the hate and venom, though.

I regress, never mind.

You may be right. We've now been in the SEC longer than we were in the ACC, but there is still a portion of our fan base that longs for the old days.
We were charter members of that league. We developed rivalries other than with UPC. There was real hatred, especially once McGuire started beating the Tobacco Road teams. It makes a difference.

Reactions: longhornedone
Its funny now, close to three decades after Carolina joined the SEC, talking with younger people who have no memory of the Independent days, let alone the ACC. All they have ever known is South Carolina in the SEC. And they have experienced major success in the big sports. There is no thought that Carolina wouldn't "belong". They carry a self-assuredness that many (most) did not possess in the 1990's, and some still lack to this day.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT