ADVERTISEMENT

Bentley the best??

cockytaytay

Aug 13, 2017
Yes. I'm the ultimate optimist when it comes to Carolina football. But I seriously look around the SEC and I really don't see a better QB than Jake Bentley. If our defense can play pretty good, if we can run the ball well, give protection, Bentley will eat off the bone this year. Our receiving corps is ridiculous, from the Wide Out to the slot to the tight end. I think he's setting himself up to be the best QB in Gamecock history. I really feel like the record books are about to be shattered. Gamecock colored eclipse glasses are fully on!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Go Cocks!!!!!!!!!!!

Yes. I'm the ultimate optimist when it comes to Carolina football. But I seriously look around the SEC and I really don't see a better QB than Jake Bentley. If our defense can play pretty good, if we can run the ball well, give protection, Bentley will eat off the bone this year. Our receiving corps is ridiculous, from the Wide Out to the slot to the tight end. I think he's setting himself up to be the best QB in Gamecock history. I really feel like the record books are about to be shattered. Gamecock colored eclipse glasses are fully on!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Go Cocks!!!!!!!!!!!
Boy, I like your style.

Based on what the regular eclipse glasses are going for right now, you should really think about making some cash off of those you're wearing. LOL!

I do like the optimism though!! I gotta wait until I see it in the field, but I hope it plays out just like you describe.

Last edited:
Jake was not eligible do to number of snaps, but his QBR numbers put him 9th in the conference last year. Couple of,the top guys in that group are no longer around, but Jake is going to have to really pick it up to get to that spot. I know QBR is not everything, but it is an indicator of performance that takes into account level of competition.

Jake was not eligible do to number of snaps, but his QBR numbers put him 9th in the conference last year. Couple of,the top guys in that group are no longer around, but Jake is going to have to really pick it up to get to that spot. I know QBR is not everything, but it is an indicator of performance that takes into account level of competition.

Um. You are obviously not aware or don't understand. We had a weak o line, we had basically aj turner at running back until Dowdle was able to play half way thru the year. Deebo was our only experience WR coming into last year and he had little experience. Point is Jake had kittke supporting cast plus he did not play himself u til half way thru the season. So he needs " to pick it up " ? That's what experience plus adding talent and experience at RB / WR/OL do.

Dude- I love your signature. Ric, Arn, Ole and Tully. Woooooooooo!

Reactions: JSpears5
Um. You are obviously not aware or don't understand. We had a weak o line, we had basically aj turner at running back until Dowdle was able to play half way thru the year. Deebo was our only experience WR coming into last year and he had little experience. Point is Jake had kittke supporting cast plus he did not play himself u til half way thru the season. So he needs " to pick it up " ? That's what experience plus adding talent and experience at RB / WR/OL do.

No, I think I have it right. Jake started the last half of the season. With the same OL basically as last year. with both AJ and Rico in the backfield. With the same WR and TE. Last year he was 9th in QBR in that situation. If he want to be #1, he has to pick it up because 86th in the country in total offense in his 7 games is not going to cut it this year with expectations that the offense will be ,what?, In the top 25?

Do you think he has the potential to be great, I do. If he want to be the best, he must show it.

He was really good vs bad competition.. AWFUL vs every good defense he played against. Consistency should improve with experience and he has that now.. add some better blocking and sky is the limit! He has the arm, the attitude, the background and all the tools around him to be the best we have ever had here... Best in the SEC this season? That is a different thing, and a comment on how pathetic we have been at QB historically- potentially the best QB in our history may not be the best QB in the SEC this coming year. Wrap your head around that!

This years team is going to be drastically improved and if they stay healthy we can win the east. Everyone that is going off the last 2 years with this team is sadly mistaken specially the media. Load up on the Cocks to win that first game by 10 plus.

Bentley success is linked to the OL play. If it's like last year forget it. He'll be good but not great and an average SEC QB if he doesn't get the blocking. Personally I don't see how it improves that much in one off season but you never know.

When I go to espn.com, I see Bentley's QB rating was 5th in conference at 140.0. Top 2 were Kelly and Dobbs, and they are gone. If we can get an improved OL, with the experience coming back he could be the best QB in conference. When he had time to throw against weaker competition, his numbers were very high.

Ultimately though, I just want to win football games. QB should not be the reason we lose football games this year. Pass rush on the DL and pass blocking on OL are my main concerns.

There have been writers who've said he is better than the UGA quarterback..

Bentley is going to be very, very good. So good in fact he might be the best "pro" prospect out of the current crop of SEC qb's.

Eason has more arm talent, but honestly Bentley seems to have more football savvy and drive than Eason seems to have.

Lock from Missouri is a similar guy throwing the ball to Bentley (neither has Eason't cannon, though they have good arms). Again though Bentley just seems to make better decisions, even though he was a freshman.

No real idea what Stidham or Patterson in the West will do this year. No idea what either guy is like, we'll just have to see.

Personally though I've seen enough college football and seen us have difficulties stopping teams that have it, that I personally value legs more than a big arm. Extending plays, getting positive yardage on busted plays, these things are important to my mind. More than Eason's cannon.

So for this year I have a sneaking suspicion Fitzgerald, Hurts, and Johnson might be the best SEC qb's. I think Bentley and Lock are going to put up the biggest passing numbers. Actually though Arkansas' Allen might be the best pro-type qb for this year at least, in the SEC, though I doubt his numbers will be as good.

Funny thing about Bentley is he is really athletic and mobile. He can do both of the things I mentioned, better than Lock and Eason, and as far as I know all the other pro type qb's. The NFL is going to love his measurables and intangibles when it gets to that point. Bentley just doesn't seem to be able to run the read option and keep it himself though. Maybe they don't have that one in for him, but you can tell a difference when you compare him to other qb's in the SEC.

But a guy like Fitzgerald can be a real part of the running game. And he has put up big numbers against some significant teams with excellent athletes as well. Whatever his liabilities as a passer compared to some others, that is a big deal. To me at least.

Thing about Bentley, no idea if his college career will be anywhere near as good. But he compares very well to Watson, though Watson could break some long runs I don't think Bentley can. Clemson really didn't use Watson like Mississippi State or Kentucky used their qb's. He seemed athletic, but fragile. Kind of surprised he didn't get hurt more in college.

This years team is going to be drastically improved and if they stay healthy we can win the east. Everyone that is going off the last 2 years with this team is sadly mistaken specially the media. Load up on the Cocks to win that first game by 10 plus.
And you're going off of what?

Reactions: ddw1263
I think we will know pretty quickly if he is the real deal or not. NC State and Missouri will be telling. Nothing would please more than to see him come out and have 300 in both games. Hell, he may have to for us to win.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT