ADVERTISEMENT

Bentley to Auburn

uscgrad1991

Oct 3, 2006
why would he leave his sons final season. Doesn’t make sense for a father to leave son in final season.

Weird going to that dumpster fire. Could be out of a job in a year.

Reactions: MAB123
I don’t think Jake would leave for the NFL but if his dad does bolt to Auburn, does that say anything about how they are leaning? Or does it at least make leaving now more appealing to Jake? This is a father and son that decided to skip his senior year of high school. That’s more rare than a player entering the NFL draft when they probably shouldn’t.

I definitely think Jake comes back based on everything I’ve seen as a football fan my whole life. But are these guys just different? I’ll believe Bobby Bentley leaves for Auburn when I see it. Just seems like very odd timing. But if it does happen it is a bit of a head scratcher with the circumstances. But if you can double your pay, that’s hard to turn down. Though one may argue he may be doubling that pay for one year instead of having more job security.

Every other player on the team doesnt have his dad as a coach....so a little naive I think to say he's going to do anything major because his dad is leaving as if he's completely tied to him.

I don't see the big deal, if he's being offered the OC position. Of course he should take it. Malzahn would offer because he knows Bentley. I doubt there are other SEC OC offers a year from now.

The Gus is desperately trying to save his own. Auburn is eager to fire His ass. His solution is not Bobby Bentley!

I've said it before and I say it again, Jake believes he'll be playing on an NFL team next year.

Seems like we would have a package of at least 5 plays a game to get Joyner in. Syvelle Newton was one of the most exciting players I have seen at Carolina and we under utilized his talents. Hope we don’t do the same with Joyner.
I agree about Syvelle, as a triple threat, he gave me hope for a good season until the Gamecock curse got his achilles heel.

Reactions: Brace1
How dare Bentley consider an opportunity to be an OC at an SEC school. What the hell is he thinking?
That’s exactly how some of our fans felt about him even being mentioned, as offensive coordinator here. Now some of those same fans are saying he should wait,” for Bmac to leave, and then try to get the OC job in Columbia! It’s cracking me the heck up I tell you; fans are hilarious!

Last edited:
Reactions: Triton20x and PC31
That’s exactly how some of our fans felt about him even being mentioned, as offensive coordinator here. Now some of those same fans are saying he should wait,” for Bmac to leave, and then try to get the OC job in Columbia! It’s cracking me the heck up I tell you, fans are hilarious!
Let him go and hire kendle Briles.

Reactions: robertfootball
I've said it before and I say it again, Jake believes he'll be playing on an NFL team next year.
Nobody is telling him he should leave. At best he is a day two pick but most likely he would go on day three. He know he needs to come back. Plus he has chance to leave here as the all time leader in td’s and passing yards.

With Hilinski coming in, there may be a legitimate battle for the starting quarterback job next August. If Bobby is at Auburn, that battle can play out fully without any taint or appearance of nepotism.

As for why Bobby would leave a position as RB coach here to take an OC job at Auburn, seriously? A coordinator position at a major program like Auburn is one step away from an HC job virtually anywhere in the country. And if Malzhan does get canned before the end of the next season, Bobby would be an obvious candidate for the interim position.

Seems like we would have a package of at least 5 plays a game to get Joyner in. Syvelle Newton was one of the most exciting players I have seen at Carolina and we under utilized his talents. Hope we don’t do the same with Joyner.

Sadly, we already have this past year!

Reactions: jonesz21 and 92Pony
With Hilinski coming in, there may be a legitimate battle for the starting quarterback job next August. If Bobby is at Auburn, that battle can play out fully without any taint or appearance of nepotism.

As for why Bobby would leave a position as RB coach here to take an OC job at Auburn, seriously? A coordinator position at a major program like Auburn is one step away from an HC job virtually anywhere in the country. And if Malzhan does get canned before the end of the next season, Bobby would be an obvious candidate for the interim position.
Hilinski may be a great qb but jake doesn’t need his dad to beat him out. He will be a senior, Hilinski is a incoming freshman. Jake has some work in his senior year but he has potential of being a high draft pick after next season. Dad want get that for him

Reactions: Carolina4
1. I would not fault Bobby at all if he felt like he needed to give the Auburn gig a shot.

2. I don't think we would miss him at all with a good replacement.

3. Having said that, he's not going anywhere.

I fear the loss of his recruiting prowess/contacts more than his coaching. We can probably upgrade our RB coaching. If he leaves, let's hope we get someone who can recruit on the same level or better.

The thing about this that concerns me is our previous 'downfall' began when we started losing quality assistant coaches.

Reactions: Brace1
Perhaps he see things that are going to happen. 6-6 looks like a real possibility next season.

1. I would not fault Bobby at all if he felt like he needed to give the Auburn gig a shot.

2. I don't think we would miss him at all with a good replacement.

3. Having said that, he's not going anywhere.
I really don’t fault anyone for taking a promotion, but what father wouldn’t give the chance to coach their son for four years at a major university. Auburn is only allowing 1 year contracts, so this is probably short term. I don’t see the gain of leaving his son with one season left.

Reactions: Legendary Cock
I get it because it is an OC position. I don’t get it because Auburn pretty much is trying to set Gus up to get rid of him with the restrictions they placed on him.

I also don’t think Dad’s decision will affect son’s and vice versa.

Nobody is telling him he should leave. At best he is a day two pick but most likely he would go on day three. He know he needs to come back. Plus he has chance to leave here as the all time leader in td’s and passing yards.
im not making a prediction. I'm just saying what others around and know him are telling me. Is he listening to advise he's given? IDK. He'd be wise to. Time will tell.

You know better than that. Read too many of your post to think you actually believe that. Malzhan is the interim coach. He knows he is going to be fired! They begged him to leave with half of his buyout this seas. He refused. They froze his assistants pay and limited any new hires to one year contracts. The Gus is done at Auburn in 2019. Even if he has a good season, he will accept an offer from another school.

Bobby does have a tough tough decision just because of the spot that Gus is in. Could be a one, and done, deal. Add to that missing Jake's senior year. But would no doubt at least double his current pay, and would have OC from an Power 5 school on his resume. He will get it one day just because he can coach.

Secondly, for all the folks that keep pumping Joyner. The kid has a great arm. A fantastic athlete. But if you saw him play high school football it was easy to tell that he wasn't anywhere near ready to play QB in college. Much like the kid from South Pointe, who Clemson quickly turned into a wideout, and kick returner. As far as Hilinski? I see a red shirt year coming unless Bentley goes down. He will be the future, but he isn't the present. And even if he was the present, I am sure that halfway through next season, many on here would be talking about how great things will be when Doty takes over, or some 7th grader they saw in a youth league game.

This is no disrespect because I like most of your opinions...with that said I hope nobody actually believes nepotism is taking place. Does anyone really think Muschamp who’s on his last chance coach gives a lick what BB thinks in regard to playing his son or not or Werner for that reason. Bentley kept playing this year because the coaches saw in practice he was by far the best and it showed down the stretch of the season. I just don’t think Muschamp would risk his millions, reputation, and coaching career over upsetting BB.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT