ADVERTISEMENT

Bentley working on mechanics along with the Fromm brothers

Unpopular opinion: Jake gave us the best chance to win last year. Playbook was open. Bentley will go down as record for career passing yards and TDs but will be the most unappreciated QB on the records lists.

Now should he have been yanked for a few series or sat for a quarter...yeah, especially against UVA, but the guy is talented.

He's been at camps every season working on mechanics and stuff, when does the light turn on? Is there a camp for decision making?
Wasn't he at the Manning's QB camp last year and they were talking about how good he was? You are spot on with the decision making part.

I like Bentley and I know he's passionate but I wish he was a little more calm/collected like a lot of the great pro style QBs.
I wonder a lot of times if he's just too amped - in the good and the bad situations.
He needs that Kawhi Leonard ice cold mentality he just showed off during the NBA playoffs

Agree with @lowcountry_cock13 about him being our best best...I think a few well timed benchings would have done him well last year.

Also agree too that he's never enjoyed a running game like Shaw had like @dcdayday and @GACOCKNBOOM pointed out. I figure that has to be better this year just due to the RB's all maturing some and the line looking pretty solid. Adding Feaster would be a nice addition

I really don't think mechanics are his problem. I think his liability lies in the area of field awareness.

Agree. Also think it's his decision making. And, he just doesn't seem to have that "it" factor. It looked like he did in his freshman year when he seemed to pull our season off the trash heap, but he hasn't since. I would say Connor Shaw wasn't as polished of a QB as Jake is from the mechanics side, but he was a game and had "it."

Not really a knock on Jake. Just is what it is. I'm not gonna pile on a guy for his mental makeup. I certainly would crap a brick if you put me under center against a SEC DL.

Yes he has. Based on QB rating, based on passing yds per game, and based on touchdown passes per game, Bentley had his best season last season, despite missing a game. He wasn't as consistent as he could've been - he had some bad games, but then he had some real good ones too....
Statistically, he may have improved a little. But out of his 14 INTs, how many of those came in the endzone? That shouldn't happen as often as it did, especially with an upperclassman QB. Those are game killers.

Ahhhhhh a time honored tradition, gamecock fans eating our own. A psychologist would have a field day with out fan base.

It happens with every fan base - disagreements. You characterize this as eating our own. These are just opinions. In fact this is mild compared to many others.

Exactly! Everyone is so critical of JB, yet the guy has never and I mean never had a running game that could pick up a yard when needed. Take the best QB’s, they have protection and a running game. Our O line hasn’t been great either the last few years.

Exactly he has never had the luxury of a genuine running game. I also think in some areas he was better when he got here - vision etc. With time Roper killed his creativity. I recall he played a great game against UT in his freshmen year. JMO.

Last edited:
JB hasn't had the luxury game because they won't stick with the run long enough to develop a run game. Throwing 14 or 15 int. has nothing to do with running the football that's like blaming the RB for the int. JB losses his touch sometimes with short to mid passes. He throws a decent deep ball because all his has to to is unload. I'm not anti-JB I'm just pro win.

Nope Hilinski is gonna beat him out in Summer Camp, just wait. He’s gonna kick the extra point after that.

Jake has all the qualities you want in a QB and can do it all. But in most games (except Clemson game last year), Jake panics upon the snap and where/the spot (ex. back shoulder) he is suppose to throw it to, and its timing change. Receivers come out of their pattern expecting the ball in a certain spot. If they can't adjust, we look bad. That is not to say it is all on JB.
The result is confidence is lost between both QB and receivers. I wonder if we have enough repetition in practice. By that, I mean running each pattern ?(50 times a practice). It does not look like we have a "polished passing game" at times during the season.
Call it confidence or whatever you want, but we lack it sometimes. If we play with confidence like we did against the taters, we will beat UGA and Alabama. We play like that, we will be playing the second week of January. Jake was poised and focused. He got his passes off in 1-2 seconds and played a near perfect game. We proved against the taters that we can play with the big boys.

Last edited:
Reactions: AngloCock
Agree with @lowcountry_cock13 about him being our best best...I think a few well timed benchings would have done him well last year.

Also agree too that he's never enjoyed a running game like Shaw had like @dcdayday and @GACOCKNBOOM pointed out. I figure that has to be better this year just due to the RB's all maturing some and the line looking pretty solid. Adding Feaster would be a nice addition

Also there are enough QB'S on the roster so now they should utilized Jake more in the run game. I want to see more read option.

Reactions: tngamecock#
Unpopular opinion: Jake gave us the best chance to win last year. Playbook was open. Bentley will go down as record for career passing yards and TDs but will be the most unappreciated QB on the records lists.

Now should he have been yanked for a few series or sat for a quarter...yeah, especially against UVA, but the guy is talented.
So talented he won't ever play in the NFL.

Reactions: Jpcooper
14 INT ( even with the week off VS Mizery)
Over 1 per game
I’m ready for less of these

I am as well, however since your post was in response to my above comments, I feel I should point out that despite those interceptions, Bentley's QB rating still was the highest of his career thus far, possibly because while throwing a touchdown pass almost always results in a touchdown being scored, throwing an interception does not always result in the opponent scoring off of it. Further, Jake had right at a 2 to 1 TD to INT ratio last season, and there have been very few QBs in USC's FB history that have exceeded that ratio, for 10 or more TD passes thrown...

Statistically, he may have improved a little. But out of his 14 INTs, how many of those came in the endzone? That shouldn't happen as often as it did, especially with an upperclassman QB. Those are game killers.

See my above post - it addresses this perfectly....

I read it. The problem is when those interceptions occurred. After a long, time consuming drive, throwing an interception in the end zone just takes the wind out of your sails -- especially whenee really needed a TD to stay in the game. Jake has done that too many times for my liking.

But who knows? He may be ready to have an incredible senior year. I just hope he can do it without Deebo.

Reactions: Jpcooper
We need a run game. We can’t count on Jake to win the game himself. You hope “working on his mechanics” means no sailing balls through the first half (which seems to be a pattern), but this hasn’t been a good team overall when JB is forced to pass. Run game.

Someone mentioned drops: Shi has had some bad ones at crucial times, hopefully we’ll see a little less of that this year. He and Edwards are going to produce our best matchups.

Yes he has. Based on QB rating, based on passing yds per game, and based on touchdown passes per game, Bentley had his best season last season, despite missing a game. He wasn't as consistent as he could've been - he had some bad games, but then he had some real good ones too....

Any INT for us is a bad one because we never blow anyone out. When we have the ball, we usually HAVE to score.

Reactions: Legendary Cock
He absolutely needs to improve on field awareness.

Also, a handful of his INTs bounced off his receivers chest or facemask.

Fact is the whole damn offense to nut up and do their jobs.

Last edited:
Reactions: SCexpat38
Did you watch the bowl game?
For as long as I could stand it. But that's why I made my comment. I'm beginning to worry that Deebo's play covered for Jake a lot of the time. But when he wasn't there, we got the UVA game.

Let's hope Edwards and the Smiths have huge years next season.

For as long as I could stand it. But that's why I made my comment. I'm beginning to worry that Deebo's play covered for Jake a lot of the time. But when he wasn't there, we got the UVA game.

Let's hope Edwards and the Smiths have huge years next season.
South Carolina played ten (including the bowl win against Michigan) out of 13 games without Deebo in the 2017 season that accomplished a nine win season. I do not know what happened to South Carolina offense late last season. It seems that the offense did not click against Akron and that carried over into the game against Virginia.

South Carolina played ten (including the bowl win against Michigan) out of 13 games without Deebo in the 2017 season that accomplished a nine win season. I do not know what happened to South Carolina offense late last season. It seems that the offense did not click against Akron and that carried over into the game against Virginia.

We played absolutely nobody in 2017. Arkansas, Florida and Tennessee were in borderline mutiny. We got away with it bc of the schedule.

True. But none of those wins came against ranked teams. Regarding the last two games, I think it was us coming back down to reality. We need to admit that the Clemson game was a near perfect storm. They underestimated us and Jake played out of his mind -- with a LOT of help from Deebo. And we still lost by three TDs.

Akron was basically a "who cares" game in the rain, where Jake looked pretty pedestrian. He didn't have Deebo against UVA and basically looked terrible.

Hopefully, he'll finally put it all together and have a great senior year.

Reactions: Zann77 and Jpcooper
We played absolutely nobody in 2017. Arkansas, Florida and Tennessee were in borderline mutiny. We got away with it bc of the schedule.
That is a very accurate assessment about Arkansas, Tennessee and Florida (McElwain and Jones fired during the season and Bielema shortly after the season). South Carolina pretty much plays the same conference schedule every year with the exception of one team rotating in the western division. If you look at South Carolina four defeats that season, two of the teams advanced to the college football playoffs.

True. But none of those wins came against ranked teams. Regarding the last two games, I think it was us coming back down to reality. We need to admit that the Clemson game was a near perfect storm. They underestimated us and Jake played out of his mind -- with a LOT of help from Deebo. And we still lost by three TDs.

Akron was basically a "who cares" game in the rain, where Jake looked pretty pedestrian. He didn't have Deebo against UVA and basically looked terrible.

Hopefully, he'll finally put it all together and have a great senior year.
looking at South Carolina two previous bowl games, do you think Michigan and Virginia defenses are about equal? Bryan Edwards and Shi Smith did score touchdowns against Michigan.

Bentley is VERY inaccurate. All of this working on mechanics is supposed to fix this but it hasn't. Guys that have the tools are dime a dozen. Guys that have the tools and accuracy in a live game are NOT. I've seen enough to not be optimistic.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT