ADVERTISEMENT

Best coach ever at USC

Status
Not open for further replies.
Joe Mo would have loved a few years under him. He wasn't scared to run anything! Too bad his lifestyle caught up to him way too soon!
If Jim Carlins staff had been there at least 4 more years we'd have won at least one NATTY! that bunch could coach and recruit!!! I watched several colleges breaking rules at the state track meet and the gamecock staff never did!! Coach Carlin did it by the book!
You lost me at NATTY - if not sooner.

Reactions: Rod Dangerfield
There was steroid use...that is probably true but it was going on at just about every major college program. It certainly was not something we did particularly well compared to many.....go back and look at the difference in size between us and several programs we played against. UGA dwarfed us back in the mid 80's. Morrison could take less talented teams and still win. He kept up to date and was on the cutting edge of football.

I will say this...you give Morrison and Spurrier the same exact players....Morrison would have done more with it.

I agree.

As for the NCAA, in talking with folks who were in the Athletic Department back then, it was about to be BAD as far as violations. But once Coach died, and the NCAA knew we'd be cleaning house anyway, they "let it slide" because it would have looked bad on them to penalize a team that had just lost their coach.

I would have Tanner #2...Dawn at #1. Ray took over a reasonably successful program with loads of support and made it one of the premier programs in the country. Dawn on the other hand took a terrible program, changed its culture, garnered unprecedented support among a community that had never supported that sport before and lead us to the promised land.
Not diminish what Dawn has done here, but Ray built us into THE premier program in a sport that has a lot more contenders for that title than WBB. In WBB, you currently have about 10 programs in the country that reasonably expect to be national title contender (and one that has totally dominated the sport the past 15 years). In baseball, you've got about 10 just in the SEC and ACC with those expectations. 10 Supers in 13 seasons, 6 CWS trips, 4 national title games, 2 titles, and the longest postseason win streak in college baseball history. Ray left college baseball as The Man.

Again, that's no knock against Dawn. I hope after she's been here 13 or 15 seasons that her resume makes Ray's look pathetic, but she isn't there yet.

Joe Mo is my pick. Spurrier is/was a great offensive guy at go vertical, but Joe had some magic about him. His teams were a lot of fun to watch.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT