ADVERTISEMENT

Best Conference This Year?

I'm curious as to see how ya'll would rank the Power 5 conferences this year. As of this week the ra

• ACC

Votes: 36 43.4%
  • Big 10

Votes: 5 6.0%
  • Big 12

Votes: 1 1.2%
  • PAC 12

Votes: 2 2.4%
  • SEC

Votes: 39 47.0%

• Total voters

CootSnFr

Sep 27, 2020
I'm curious as to see how ya'll would rank the Power 5 conferences this year. As of this week the rankings are broken down as follows:

Southeastern Conference: 2.) Alabama
4.) Georgia
7.) Texas A&M
10.) Florida

Atlantic Coast Conference: 1.) Clemson
3.) Notre Dame
11.) Miami
14.) North Carolina
19.) Virginia Tech
23.) NC State

Big 10: 5.) Ohio State
8.) Penn State
14.) Wisconsin
18.) Michigan
21.) Minnesota

Big 12: 6.) Oklahoma State
17.) Iowa State
20.) Kansas State

PAC 12: 13.) Oregon
24.) Southern California

Every ACC and SEC team with a winning record is ranked. SEC has five 2-2 teams and ACC only two, including GT that just gave up 73 to your tigers. Note that all the SEC teams with a winning record are in the top 10.

While the ACC has the most ranked teams, I still believe the SEC and BIG 10 are better top to bottom. BIG 12 and PAC 12 are not too good even at their best. Oklahoma State I'm not sold on yet. Southern Cal will probably have a good offense and who knows yet about Oregon, they may be the only good team among the two conferences. I believe Georgia, Alabama, Clemson and Ohio State probably are a big step above the rest of the ranked teams. ND is completely overrated.

SEC by far. SEC is not as strong as normal but the weird part is that no one is. Clemsux gets a free ride. Notre Dame almost lost to Louisville and looked like garbage against Duke. Syracuse should get rid of football. Not only did they get blasted at home by Liberty but Vegas had Liberty as the favorite. Virginia Tech could be a sleeper but they’ve been hit pretty hard by Covid, so it’s still hard to know what they have.
Big 12 is horrible. Kansas State losing to Arkansas State. Iowa State losing to Louisiana and Oklahoma dropping a couple already.
Ironically the only two SEC teams I am sold on are Alabama and Georgia. Georgia has some flaws but I think they get them figured out and have a much better showing against Alabama in Atlanta. Florida has no defense. Texas A & M is living on borrowed time. They’re fixing to plummet. For some reason the Aggies have every resource in the world but rarely put it together.

The ACC has also benefited from not having the stupid only in conference rule so they kept their cupcakes.
One per team, and don't forget, the ACC kept an OOC game hoping the SEC would do the same, so at least 4 of those "cupcakes" were intended to be SEC teams. (us, GA, FL, and KY).

The bigger issue with this discussion is that the AP poll is garbage below the top 5 (yeah, I know, but ND is ALWAYS overrated... get over it), so this discussion really needs to wait until the B1G gets at least a couple of games in.

There is no doubt in my mind that the SEC on average has declined. It is looking more like the B1G used to be when there was Ohio State, Michigan, and a huge gap. The SEC this year is Alabama, Georgia, and a huge gap.

In the COVID-modified ACC, it is Clemson, gap, Notre Dame, and possibly VT, then another gap. We'll see how big the gap is between Clemson and ND in a few weeks.

I'm curious as to see how ya'll would rank the Power 5 conferences this year. As of this week the rankings are broken down as follows:

4.) Georgia
7.) Texas A&M
10.) Florida

3.) Notre Dame
11.) Miami
14.) North Carolina
19.) Virginia Tech
23.) NC State

8.) Penn State
14.) Wisconsin
18.) Michigan
21.) Minnesota

17.) Iowa State
20.) Kansas State

24.) Southern California

Correct me if I am wrong but Notre Dame is not listed in the Coastal or the Atlantic divisions of the ACC. Why are they considered to be in the ACC regarding football?

Last edited:
Correct me if I am wrong but Notre Dame is not listed in the Costal or the Atlantic division of the ACC. Why do we talk about them being in the ACC?

No divisions this year, championship game will be two teams with the best record/win pct. Notre Dame is in the ACC this season, it is not planned to be permanent. Same as the SEC

One per team, and don't forget, the ACC kept an OOC game hoping the SEC would do the same, so at least 4 of those "cupcakes" were intended to be SEC teams. (us, GA, FL, and KY).

The bigger issue with this discussion is that the AP poll is garbage below the top 5 (yeah, I know, but ND is ALWAYS overrated... get over it), so this discussion really needs to wait until the B1G gets at least a couple of games in.

There is no doubt in my mind that the SEC on average has declined. It is looking more like the B1G used to be when there was Ohio State, Michigan, and a huge gap. The SEC this year is Alabama, Georgia, and a huge gap.

In the COVID-modified ACC, it is Clemson, gap, Notre Dame, and possibly VT, then another gap. We'll see how big the gap is between Clemson and ND in a few weeks.
Is it ever really different? I know everyone always talks about the strength of the conferences but you are always really just talking about the top 2 or 3 teams each year. It is very rare for any conference to have more than 2 top tier teams followed by 4 or so good teams and then varying levels of mediocrity from their. Once you move past the top 4 or 6 teams from each conference it’s really hard to compare who has the worst bottom feeders.

Is it ever really different? I know everyone always talks about the strength of the conferences but you are always really just talking about the top 2 or 3 teams each year. It is very rare for any conference to have more than 2 top tier teams followed by 4 or so good teams and then varying levels of mediocrity from their. Once you move past the top 4 or 6 teams from each conference it’s really hard to compare who has the worst bottom feeders.
Sometimes it has been different. It wasn't that long ago that the SEC West was stacked with contenders for winning the division, although Alabama was always at the top of the stack, and the SEC East had 1 or 2 contenders who could challenge in the SEC Championship Game. Not so today, IMO. AL & GA are clearly separated from the rest, and by a lot.

If you wanted proof that this board has been taken over by tater trolls just look at this poll. Who in their right mind says the ACC is the best football conference? The 4 teams ranked in the top 10 would all crush the other ACC teams (and Notre Dame) heck I think Arkansas would destroy all of those teams.

Want proof, look at who started the poll, and their username... TATER TROLL

Correct me if I am wrong but Notre Dame is not listed in the Coastal or the Atlantic divisions of the ACC. Why are they considered to be in the ACC regarding football?
Acc got all their tv money so they wouldn’t get left in the cold. Btw there is no Atlantic and coastal in the acc this year. The championship is a round robin, 2 best records go.

4.) Georgia
7.) Texas A&M
10.) Florida

3.) Notre Dame
11.) Miami
14.) North Carolina
19.) Virginia Tech
23.) NC State

8.) Penn State
14.) Wisconsin
18.) Michigan
21.) Minnesota

17.) Iowa State
20.) Kansas State

24.) Southern California

This poll is ridiculous for several reasons not the least of which is that it was posted on a South Carolina board by a Clempson troll.

But also these polls are attempting to rank teams that have yet to play a down of football. Its hard to compare records because some conferences are playing OOC games and some are not.

This season will absolutely have a HUGE asterisk on it (sorry Tigers). As a Gamecock and SEC fan, I have enjoyed so far watching the league only games and the parity the huge reduction in home field advantage COVID has brought. Think about how it impacts our game this weekend. Its a much more win-able game not only because LSU is struggling but because we wont be playing in front of 90,000+ screaming southern football fans.

This poll is ridiculous for several reasons not the least of which is that it was posted on a South Carolina board by a Clempson troll.

But also these polls are attempting to rank teams that have yet to play a down of football. Its hard to compare records because some conferences are playing OOC games and some are not.

This season will absolutely have a HUGE asterisk on it (sorry Tigers). As a Gamecock and SEC fan, I have enjoyed so far watching the league only games and the parity the huge reduction in home field advantage COVID has brought. Think about how it impacts our game this weekend. Its a much more win-able game not only because LSU is struggling but because we wont be playing in front of 90,000+ screaming southern football fans.
You got that right, I've been to our games there several times and I can tell you it's a helluva place to play, especially at night.

Right.

It's all a tossup this year. There's no P5 ooc matchups to gauge by. All we have are conference teams playing each other. SEC has looked pretty uneven. It's Bama, UGA then everyone else. The ACC is likewise top-heavy with Clemson, UNC and then everyone else. Who cares how the #10 team from each conference would match up?

You can not say with a straight face or not laughing out loud that The bottom feeders of the SEC are not better than Bottom Feeders of ACC... come on man.. WF, DUKE, Syracuse, BC etc vs Vandy, Ole Miss, Miss st and LSU..

4.) Georgia
7.) Texas A&M
10.) Florida

3.) Notre Dame
11.) Miami
14.) North Carolina
19.) Virginia Tech
23.) NC State

8.) Penn State
14.) Wisconsin
18.) Michigan
21.) Minnesota

17.) Iowa State
20.) Kansas State

24.) Southern California
It is impossible to rate conferences at this point!
1.Not everyone is playing.
2. Conferences are not really playing against other conferences
3. All of THIS going on “gestures broadly”
4. The rankings are made up at this point because, see #1
5. SEC is the best.

Reactions: cockofdawn

4.) Georgia
7.) Texas A&M
10.) Florida

3.) Notre Dame
11.) Miami
14.) North Carolina
19.) Virginia Tech
23.) NC State

8.) Penn State
14.) Wisconsin
18.) Michigan
21.) Minnesota

17.) Iowa State
20.) Kansas State

24.) Southern California
These polls are a joke. clem is the only school that deserves to be ranked in the ACC.

Gotta be the PAC-12. Their worst team or teams, will lose, at most, 7 games this year.

While the ACC has the most ranked teams, I still believe the SEC and BIG 10 are better top to bottom. BIG 12 and PAC 12 are not too good even at their best. Oklahoma State I'm not sold on yet. Southern Cal will probably have a good offense and who knows yet about Oregon, they may be the only good team among the two conferences. I believe Georgia, Alabama, Clemson and Ohio State probably are a big step above the rest of the ranked teams. ND is completely overrated.
Big 10 hasn't even played a game yet. That they are going to jeopardize themselves with fewer games than three of the other leagues disqualifies them from any consideration by me.

You can not say with a straight face or not laughing out loud that The bottom feeders of the SEC are not better than Bottom Feeders of ACC... come on man.. WF, DUKE, Syracuse, BC etc vs Vandy, Ole Miss, Miss st and LSU..
CBS Sports actually prepares a ranking of the "Bottom 25".

The ACC has 6 teams on the list: #9. Syracuse, #12. Duke, #16. Louisville, #18. Florida State, #19. Virginia, and #21. Georgia Tech while the SEC has 4 teams: #2. Vanderbilt, #14. Ole Miss, #17. Mississippi State, and #22. Missouri.

So, according to them, Vandy would lose to any ACC team and Ole Miss would only win against Syracuse and Duke. Miss St would lose to FL State, Virginia and G-Tech plus the rest of the ACC.

You missed mentioning Missouri, and LSU did not make their list.

Of course, we all know how reliable rankings are! :cool:

You know the only fans talking about “asterisks” on this season? Fans who’s team doesn’t have a shot in hell at being in the playoff. The champion will still be just that a champion.

You know the only fans talking about “asterisks” on this season? Fans who’s team doesn’t have a shot in hell at being in the playoff. The champion will still be just that a champion.

The "champion" will boast of being a champion. Literally everybody else will recognize the incredibly different nature of this season and the asterisk that goes along with it.

Go sell it to Dabo.

GO COCKS!!! BEAT LSU!!!

Best conference this year?

1- Alien con
Beats the pants off of comicon every damn time.

That's dumb. Notre Dame has been close to equal to UGA 2 of the last 3 years and better than them once. I've seen nothing to change that opinion. Miami has a very dynamic QB, I think they're basically Florida but with a good defensive line. VT and NC State are also good. I'd rank them all. I'd only rank Bama, UGA, Florida, and A&M in the SEC right now. As I said in another thread, if you line the teams up right now, the ACC would win. People who say stupid stuff like this don't realize how many teams are horrible this year.

I would take Florida over Notre Dame all day long.

And maybe ND should actually beat UGA before you boast that they are better.

ND this year has wins over Duke, South Florida, a terrible FSU team and a sluggish 6 point win over a 1-4 Louisville. And because they are playing an ACC schedule they literally play 2 teams with a pulse all year long.

Get outta here with the ND crap.

Head to head SEC vs ACC in the play off era...

2019 : 8-4
2018 : 6-4
2017 : 7-5
2016 : 4-10
2015 : 6-4
2014 : 3-5

Total: SEC 34-32

If forfeits we’re properly assigned for the SEC being bitches and refusing to honor OOC games the ACC was willing to play this year the SEC would no longer be totally dominating like some of you have convinced yourself. CNN & Fox News aren’t the only channels hooking morons with propaganda.

If forfeits we’re properly assigned for the SEC being bitches and refusing to honor OOC games the ACC was willing to play this year the SEC would no longer be totally dominating like some of you have convinced yourself. CNN & Fox News aren’t the only channels hooking morons with propaganda.
National champions since 2006 (if you can cherry pick)
SEC 10 A-she-she 3

Well, moron......I see two things:

1. Last 3 years SEC is 21-13 vs the ACC. See....cherry picking years is fun.

2. Even with the ACC having some its its best recent years, it still has a losing record vs the best football conference in America. And thats before we even get to comparing NFL draft picks, # of teams in the playoffs, bowl wins and national titles.

Well, moron......I see two things:

1. Last 3 years SEC is 21-13 vs the ACC. See....cherry picking years is fun.

2. Even with the ACC having some its its best recent years, it still has a losing record vs the best football conference in America. And thats before we even get to comparing NFL draft picks, # of teams in the playoffs, bowl wins and national titles.
Last I checked the poll said this year not years past, so all of that means jack crap.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT