ADVERTISEMENT

Best fried chicken in Columbia area?

jackrabbit slim

Mar 30, 2008
Chain restaurants are a disqualifier. Also, why does your favorite place have better fried chicken?

Last edited:
Bernie’s chicken- when cooked fresh is hard to beat. Although, the cleanliness in the dining area generally leaves a lot to be desired.

Reactions: pettyw
Used to love Bernie's, Zesto's and Duck-in, back when I could eat fried chicken. Another place, you wouldn't expect, is the chicken at the Quick Way near the damn and in White Rock. I think they brine their chicken first.

Reactions: jackrabbit slim
Used to love Bernie's, Zesto's and Duck-in, back when I could eat fried chicken. Another place, you wouldn't expect, is the chicken at the Quick Way near the damn and in White Rock. I think they brine their chicken first.

I left Cola in 1994. Is Duck-In still around? Used to love their chicken sandwiches & fries.

I'm remembering a Drake's Drive-in at the intersection of Taylor and Two Notch and Drake's Duck-in downtown. I used to eat at that Duck-in when I was attending the University and working part-time at J.C. Penney's on Main. Are either of these eating places still in business? I know Penny's is not.

I left Cola in 1994. Is Duck-In still around? Used to love their chicken sandwiches & fries.

It's been awhile but the Main St location was open last time i was down there. When I was a kid, there was 1 at Outlet Pointe Mall in St Andrews.

Reactions: fire ant
(Believe it’s still an Exxon) on the Irmo side of the dam, right at the light as you cross from Lexington. Best in town imo. Might be the one johnny is referring to.

Free Times did an interesting cover story a couple weeks ago where they ranked top 5 of various dishes in the Midlands. Here's their fried chicken list:

1. Zesto of West Columbia: 504 12th St., West Columbia, 803-794-4652, zestowestcolumbia.com
Zesto’s fried chicken is everything that fried chicken should be. The skin is crisp and airy. The meat is tender and by far the most well-seasoned in town. Some chicken could use a little hot sauce here and there, but Zesto’s is perfectly acceptable the way it is. Just pure chicken goodness in every way possible.

2. Bernie’s Restaurant: 1311 Bluff Road, 803-256-2888
When I think of Bernie’s fried chicken, I think of chicken that’s light, crackling skin and meat that cleanly pulls away from the bone thanks to their special “broasting” technique — essentially deep frying in a pressure cooker. It’s hard to argue with the hundreds of folks from around the city and beyond who stop in on a daily basis.

3. Palmetto Pig: 530 Devine St., 803-733-2556
Usually when you go to a barbecue buffet, you intend to eat a variety of foods. At Palmetto Pig, however, you cast everything aside and just eat platefuls of fried chicken. Their batter is thicker than most and full of super flaky, crispy bits that are always some of my favorite parts. They also have far and away the most well-cooked white meat pieces in the city.

4. Drake’s Duck-In: 1544 Main St., 803-799-9290, drakesduckin.com
When local wingman Ramone Dickerson of 2 Fat 2 Fly tells you this fried chicken is the business, you listen. Flaky, juicy chicken with lots of character, Drake’s is downtown’s No. 1 weekday spot for perfect fried chicken on the go.

5. Bone-In Barbeque: Ensor Building at BullStreet; opening date TBA
It may be a bit of a gamble to give a spot to a restaurant that hasn’t even opened yet, but Bone-In’s creative takes on fried chicken won a place in my heart over the years they did lunch buffet service in the Big Apple. Whether it’s their sriracha version or a recent dill-pickle brined creation, Bone-In is one to watch in the fried chicken game as they prepare to open their doors this spring.

Link to rest of article which includes burgers, pizza etc: https://www.free-times.com/news/cov...cle_b3d1a616-31e8-11e8-8941-1fdb7862b993.html

Shealy’s BBQ in Batesburg/Leesville is the best in the midlands. The Exxon across from Lowman’s home fried the chicken too hard or the heat lamps dry it out. JMO.

Zesto's used to have a place in Five Points, on Blossom St (don't know if it's still there) but you had to eat at one of their outdoor picnic tables before the grease cooled down too much. The best fried chicken, chilly dogs and heart attack burgers that ever clogged an artery. Didn't Providence Hospital name their quad-bipass wing in honor or Zesto's???

Man ... that's good eat'n.

Reactions: Thigh Man
No....maybe at one time waaaay back before they had so many locations but it's not close now.
Locations has nothing to do with anything. They use the same equipment and the same process everywhere. We eat nothing but LT when we tailgate. Zestos is that broasted crap and is greasy. LT's is very crispy and tasty. The breading is much better than anywhere else in town.

Shealy’s BBQ in Batesburg/Leesville is the best in the midlands. The Exxon across from Lowman’s home fried the chicken too hard or the heat lamps dry it out. JMO.
I like to get me a drumstick and sit in on top of my rice and white gravy so when I bite that side it has a little extra flavor
243755932026212.png

Zesto's
Use to come down babysit Grans while Daughter and son in law went to football games . Bucket of chicken maybe a Zesto burger on the side watch game on tv. OMG!
Now we all going to game Zesto's too.

"If you like using fancy words, Zesto is some kind of iconic eatery!"

(Which exactly are the fancy words in that, Benji?)

Zesto's used to have a place in Five Points, on Blossom St (don't know if it's still there) but you had to eat at one of their outdoor picnic tables before the grease cooled down too much. The best fried chicken, chilly dogs and heart attack burgers that ever clogged an artery. Didn't Providence Hospital name their quad-bipass wing in honor or Zesto's???

Man ... that's good eat'n.
I'm pretty certain that the location in 5 Points was gone before I started Carolina in Fall 1991.

(Believe it’s still an Exxon) on the Irmo side of the dam, right at the light as you cross from Lexington. Best in town imo. Might be the one johnny is referring to.

That's Kwik Way owned by the Cripps Family. Original location is in Chapin, but they have the one by the dam and one by one of the Flea Markets in West Columbia. Yes, Kwik Way is the best

Herb's Grill. Went there many times in my younger days.
Was a great place. Used to go once or twice a week when I lived on St. Andrews. Mr Seiple and his wife were so friendly. Several years later, on a trip home when I was in law school at UD, I went by to eat and he didn't charge me for my meal. Evidently he was originally from Dayton and still had a great affection for the city. Still the best fried chicken (by far) I ever had.

I remember Rupert's Wings....at least that's what I think it was called. Was in an old video game store on Rosewood, I believe.

Leo's was one of the first chicken wing places in St Andrews. I think it was originally on Broad River Rd then moved to St Andrews Shopping Center near Sub Station II.
I think it's WG Wings now.

Reactions: rogue cock
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT