ADVERTISEMENT

Best Non-Conference Road Trip

Carolina4

Oct 9, 2006
Excluding Clemson. Which I don’t know why anyone would say that’s a good road trip unless they were in the market to purchase some cattle or plow some fields.

In the past we’ve played at Notre Dame and Michigan, both I’d love to see again. Trip to UVa could be a good one but we lost up there last time.

Hard to believe we’ve played on the West Coast against Southern Cal. For a Bowl Game...how awesome would it be to see the Gamecocks in the Rose Bowl competing for a spot in the Title Game someday?

We haven’t consistently had many great non- conference road games but which are the best you’ve been to and which would you like to see in the future? Don’t take schedule strength into consideration...just strictly who and where would it be cool to see the Gamecocks play?

Excluding Clemson. Which I don’t know why anyone would say that’s a good road trip unless they were in the market to purchase some cattle or plow some fields.

In the past we’ve played at Notre Dame and Michigan, both I’d love to see again. Trip to UVa could be a good one but we lost up there last time.

Hard to believe we’ve played on the West Coast against Southern Cal. For a Bowl Game...how awesome would it be to see the Gamecocks in the Rose Bowl competing for a spot in the Title Game someday?

We haven’t consistently had many great non- conference road games but which are the best you’ve been to and which would you like to see in the future? Don’t take schedule strength into consideration...just strictly who and where would it be cool to see the Gamecocks play?

In conference Vandy. Nashville is a great town. If you like country music even better. Game is played in a small stadium. Worst seat is like a lower deck seat at Williams Brice. We usually win. If we lose at Vandy, you can quit watching the rest of they way so in my mind it’s always a must win.

Out of conference we really haven’t had much to choose from. I liked the North Carolina games. I’ve been to east carolina. That’s about it other than cow town.

Reactions: Horseshoe 04
You should go to Hawaii even if not for a Gamecock away game. The place is amazing.
Yeah, been to Ford Island a few times to explore the USS Missouri ( the actual designation where Japanese officially surrendered to the United States on 2 September 1945 in Tokyo Bay) and stayed at the Hilton Hawaiian Village where previous Presidents has stayed while visiting Hawaii. Shamefully, I have never been to the North Shore.

I'd like to see SC play WVU regularly. WV is beautiful in the fall, it's a fun environment, and on the return trip, WVU would travel well to Columbia. West Virginians love them some Myrtle Beach.
Besides Miami (Hurricanes), Morgantown is on my list where I hope South Carolina never goes to play another football game.

I guess the only out of conference away games I’ve been to are Rajneeshpuram... I mean Clemson... and Chapel Hill. I enjoyed Chapel Hill, but was a youngster for that one.

Ones I’d like to see and are realistic are mainly ACC schools-
UVA, Va Tech, FSU, GT, Miami, Louisville, would go to UNC again. West Virginia would be awesome too.

Long shots-
Michigan, Ohio State, Wisconsin, Penn State, Nebraska, Texas, Oklahoma, Colorado, Notre Dame, UCLA, Southern Cal

Guess I’ll go to Boone when we play at App State, as asinine as that trip is.

Reactions: Carolina4
Nebraska, UVa, Wake - all good trips and lots of fun.
Chapel Hell - the worst and most overrated city in all of college football - because it's a basketball town.
Clemson - major shithole of epic proportions.

I didn't get to attend, but one of my cousins when to the Nebraska game at Nebraska and he said that was the best road game he had ever attended. Said the fans were extremely nice and were very knowledgeable.

Yeah, been to Ford Island a few times to explore the USS Missouri ( the actual designation where Japanese officially surrendered to the United States on 2 September 1945 in Tokyo Bay) and stayed at the Hilton Hawaiian Village where previous Presidents has stayed while visiting Hawaii. Shamefully, I have never been to the North Shore.

Man, you missed seeing the most unusual and beautiful beaches in the world if you didn't get to the North Shore. The thing about the North Shore is you can be on one beach ride down the road and see a completely different beach with different color of sand and the ocean a different color of blue, then ride another few miles and see yet a completely different beach, and so on.

Reactions: FCB 2013 treble
I guess the only out of conference away games I’ve been to are Rajneeshpuram... I mean Clemson... and Chapel Hill. I enjoyed Chapel Hill, but was a youngster for that one.

Ones I’d like to see and are realistic are mainly ACC schools-
UVA, Va Tech, FSU, GT, Miami, Louisville, would go to UNC again. West Virginia would be awesome too.

Long shots-
Michigan, Ohio State, Wisconsin, Penn State, Nebraska, Texas, Oklahoma, Colorado, Notre Dame, UCLA, Southern Cal

Guess I’ll go to Boone when we play at App State, as asinine as that trip is.

I still don't understand the Gamecocks playing in Boone.

Be willing to bet that trip never happens.

OAN: read somewhere the other day that since the early 90s, SC has only played a few true road games out of conference. Think it was less than 10 or so. Not counting Clemson

I know y’all said non conference, but do yourself a favor and go to A&M. Had a great time out there this week.

I didn't get to attend, but one of my cousins when to the Nebraska game at Nebraska and he said that was the best road game he had ever attended. Said the fans were extremely nice and were very knowledgeable.

I hear great things about it there. My old assistant was from Nebraska and she always said I needed to visit there for a game.

UVA in 02 was a lot of fun. Great city, beautiful campus, and honestly the in gamwe atmosphere that night was pretty good. Much better than going to Chapel Hill or Raleigh IMO. I went to the UCF game in 2013 & that wasnt bad

I am looking forward to the game in Boone in 2025 honestly

Reactions: king ward

It might help recruiting. SC wants non-conference games in NC and VA for the same reasons Clemson tries hard to get the non-conference games in Georgia (13-14, 24), Alabama (16-17), Mississippi (Ole Miss canceled), Louisiana (25-26), and Texas (18-19).

Just thought of another one, Stanford or Cal. A lot to do in the SF area.
Throw in Northwestern as well as long as it's in September, don't want to be in Chicago much later than that

Reactions: Carolina4
Stopped off in Morgantown on the way back from our Canadian trip a couple of years ago to visit a friend. Ugly town. It's a 90-minute drive south of Pittsburgh.
Have to drive to Pittsburgh to visit family a lot. Getting through West Virginia takes forever.

It might help recruiting. SC wants non-conference games in NC and VA for the same reasons Clemson tries hard to get the non-conference games in Georgia (13-14, 24), Alabama (16-17), Mississippi (Ole Miss canceled), Louisiana (25-26), and Texas (18-19).

From that standpoint maybe it makes sense but playing App State in Boone just seems like a step down to me. Almost like playing Furman in Greenville.

I hate y'all with every fiber, but that's genius.

Been to Notre Dame and Michigan . I would love to go to Iowa or Air Force

We visited the Air Force Academy recently on our trip to Colorado, while Colorado Springs and surrounding areas are beautiful, I was not all that impressed with the AFA per se. And quite honestly all we visited was the cadet chapel. And while the exterior design of the chapel was unique, the inside was surprising plain.

I don't need a football game to get me to go to SF. I love that city! That's a vacation destination regardless.

I've been to SF three times, once on business and twice on vacation. Love that place even with all the weirdos. There are more weirdos per square inch there than any place I've visited.

Last edited:
Another good road trip for Gamecock fans would be Colorado State. They are very close to the Rocky Mountain National Park, Estes Park, and very close to Wyoming. Great visit.

Another good road trip for Gamecock fans would be Colorado State. They are very close to the Rocky Mountain National Park, Estes Park, and very close to Wyoming. Great visit.

I haven’t been to CSU but CU in Boulder was beautiful and only a short drive from Denver. Stadium is literally tucked up against a mountain.

BYU has a very scenic stadium. A home and home with them should be do-able since they are now independent.

I’d be fine seeing us play Georgia Tech as well if they didn’t run the option.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT