ADVERTISEMENT

Best Non-Conference Road Trip

I've been to SF three times, once on business and twice on vacation. Love that place even with all the weirdos. There are more weirdos per square inch there than any place I've visited.

Beautiful landscape and plenty to do. There is a dark vibe around the city at times too. Visited the stadium at Cal...can sit on the hill beside the stadium and watch the game if you wanted. I don’t think the environment would be very intimidating as it doesn’t seem to fill up often. Could watch Brandon McIlwain play some QB if we were there in the next few seasons. He played some this past weekend.

Reactions: Freddie.B.Cocky
How about California?
Cal
Stanford
UCLA
SC

Any one of these would be a great place to visit on their own. Add in a football game!

Probably Stanford is the best atmosphere I have seen. Very nice people, clean, great stadium, fun crowd, great weather. No wonder kids want to play there.

Reactions: Art__Vandelay
Excluding Clemson. Which I don’t know why anyone would say that’s a good road trip unless they were in the market to purchase some cattle or plow some fields.

In the past we’ve played at Notre Dame and Michigan, both I’d love to see again. Trip to UVa could be a good one but we lost up there last time.

Hard to believe we’ve played on the West Coast against Southern Cal. For a Bowl Game...how awesome would it be to see the Gamecocks in the Rose Bowl competing for a spot in the Title Game someday?

We haven’t consistently had many great non- conference road games but which are the best you’ve been to and which would you like to see in the future? Don’t take schedule strength into consideration...just strictly who and where would it be cool to see the Gamecocks play?

best road trips i've been on, q @ ecu, uva fer the culture types.....flight trip hawaii.

cincy would make a good one, esp if reds were n town

It might help recruiting. SC wants non-conference games in NC and VA for the same reasons Clemson tries hard to get the non-conference games in Georgia (13-14, 24), Alabama (16-17), Mississippi (Ole Miss canceled), Louisiana (25-26), and Texas (18-19).
How does clemson tries hard to get a match with Alabama? The last time they played each other in the regular season was in 2008. I might be wrong but I thought the clemson coach said that clemson should not play Alabama in the 2018 Sugar bowl because other teams (guessing Ohio State) should have taken Alabama spot in the college football playoffs. I think the clemson coach did not want to face Alabama in the Sugar bowl.

Went to Hawaii 77 and 81, very fun trips, also went to Nebraska, great fans and great people, Ole Miss is a fun trip if you stay in Memphis and go to Beale St.

How does clemson tries hard to get a match with Alabama? The last time they played each other in the regular season was in 2008. I might be wrong but I thought the clemson coach said that clemson should not play Alabama in the 2018 Sugar bowl because other teams (guessing Ohio State) should have taken Alabama spot in the college football playoffs. I think the clemson coach did not want to face Alabama in the Sugar bowl.

frank & bear got a home & home series goin' in the 60's...was @ the '67 one

Reactions: FCB 2013 treble
Went to Hawaii 77 and 81, very fun trips, also went to Nebraska, great fans and great people, Ole Miss is a fun trip if you stay in Memphis and go to Beale St.
I thought Ole Miss was a great trip but didn't mention it since we were discussing OOC trips. Enjoyed staying in Tupelo.

You mixed up the state with the school. Clemson has been playing Auburn more recently (10,11,12,16,17). During that time, Saban hasn’t been willing to play away games at decent non-conference teams, only neutral sites.

How about California?
Cal
Stanford
UCLA
SC

Any one of these would be a great place to visit on their own. Add in a football game!

Probably Stanford is the best atmosphere I have seen. Very nice people, clean, great stadium, fun crowd, great weather. No wonder kids want to play there.

This goes back years but a good friend of mine took his family to watch UNC vs Stanford. And he told me the Stanford stadium was so old that one could see the ground through the bleachers. But, I'm talking at least 20 years ago.

This goes back years but a good friend of mine took his family to watch UNC vs Stanford. And he told me the Stanford stadium was so old that one could see the ground through the bleachers. But, I'm talking at least 20 years ago.
Stanford just a few years ago rebuilt its stadium from the ground up.

https://gostanford.com/facilities/?id=16

Reduced the capacity also.

ah, since u mention it, a trip 2 hot 'lanta would be sweet, grant field reeks fenway & wrigley...........course we'd have the usual crowd cryin' about playin' an option team.

These 100k football stadiums are eventually going away. Jamming that many people into the same space that a 75k NFL stadium uses and charging $50 or more a ticket can’t last.

It’s funny you say this because the reason I thought of asking the question was watching the Wake - BC game and thinking how cool it would be to play road games closer to home from time to time. Especially on a stadium that gives fans a chance to be up close rather than on the top row of Neyland Stadium. That’s one thing that would be cool about the ACC is the ability to make a drivable road trip to just about every game. Especially the old days. That’s good for the fans.

Excluding Clemson. Which I don’t know why anyone would say that’s a good road trip unless they were in the market to purchase some cattle or plow some fields.

In the past we’ve played at Notre Dame and Michigan, both I’d love to see again. Trip to UVa could be a good one but we lost up there last time.

Hard to believe we’ve played on the West Coast against Southern Cal. For a Bowl Game...how awesome would it be to see the Gamecocks in the Rose Bowl competing for a spot in the Title Game someday?

We haven’t consistently had many great non- conference road games but which are the best you’ve been to and which would you like to see in the future? Don’t take schedule strength into consideration...just strictly who and where would it be cool to see the Gamecocks play?
Without doubt Nebraska. I loved the trip to their place in the late 80s!

Reactions: Dutch Cock
UVA in 02 was a lot of fun. Great city, beautiful campus, and honestly the in gamwe atmosphere that night was pretty good. Much better than going to Chapel Hill or Raleigh IMO. I went to the UCF game in 2013 & that wasnt bad

I am looking forward to the game in Boone in 2025 honestly
Agree wholeheartedly about the UVA trip.

I enjoyed the UVA trip despite the loss. Toured Monticello the morning of the game and the ride to Charlottesville from Lynchburg, where we stayed, was beautiful.
I absolutely love Lynchburg. It was recently listed in the top ten healthiest places to live in the U.S.

No question about it for me.....Univeristy of Washington....

I fly out to Seattle when I need a respite. I've been to the campus and to the stadium but never for a game.

I absolutely love the Montlake area, and Lake Washington.

Course UW is my fav Pac-10 team also.

No question about it for me.....Univeristy of Washington....

I fly out to Seattle when I need a respite. I've been to the campus and to the stadium but never for a game.

I absolutely love the Montlake area, and Lake Washington.

Course UW is my fav Pac-10 team also.

Good one. I’d go in a heartbeat.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT