ADVERTISEMENT

Best place to retire to

cocks rule

Aug 15, 2004
In the USA or worldwide.

I’m looking at the outer banks NC and
Panama for out of the country possibly. Anybody have any opinions or dealings with expat life?

Listen, retire where your friends and family are. Their nearness outweighs the allure of any geographic location, unless you can take your loved ones with you. People would do well to remember what the next major milestone after retirement is and treasure their relationships above all else.

Listen, retire where your friends and family are. Their nearness outweighs the allure of any geographic location, unless you can take your loved ones with you. People would do well to remember what the next major milestone after retirement is and treasure their relationships above all else.
I only have one immediate family member and she and her family seem to be gravitating toward the beach permanently. So I could see myself somewhere near them. We're not as close to my wife's family, literally and figuratively. They're more likely to visit us at the beach than where we live now.

Last edited:

All of my family has unfortunately passed on or moved away for careers. I’m excited about exploring and experiencing different places and cultures before I leave this world. I thought I saw someone on here that moved to Mexico and Im just looking for life experiences some people may have to share.

Out in the middle of nowhere. I'm saving up for my own private island somewhere off some coast.

I'm going to name it Misanthrope Island. No Clemson fans, Buckeyes or Air Force desk jockeys allowed.

Sounds like paradise to me brother! They had some sweet self sufficient islands off the caymans for sale years ago.

All of my family has unfortunately passed on or moved away for careers. I’m excited about exploring and experiencing different places and cultures before I leave this world. I thought I saw someone on here that moved to Mexico and Im just looking for life experiences some people may have to share.
And I have nothing to say but God bless you.

Agree!

I only have one immediate family member and she and her family seem to be gravitating toward the beach permanently. So I could see myself somewhere near them. We're not as close to my wife's family, literally and figuratively. They're more likely to visit us at the beach than where we live now.
My brother, who is divorced, lived for years in the Richland Northeast area off Clemson Road. His two grown daughters now live across the Ashley River from Charleston. So he moved to Johns Island, only a few minutes from either of their homes. That's what I'm talking about.

Honestly, if I was on my own and able to explore and experience again, I'd head back to Europe and find a place around Crete like it was 30 years ago when we used to go shoot missiles at the sea. Beautiful island, topless beaches, lots of history.

Probably cost an arm and a leg now though.

Reactions: Gamecockben1979
I will not say as there is no way i want all you to
Honestly, if I was on my own and able to explore and experience again, I'd head back to Europe and find a place around Crete like it was 30 years ago when we used to go shoot missiles at the sea. Beautiful island, topless beaches, lots of history.

Probably cost an arm and a leg now though.

I’m married but I’m really focused on the Caribbean. It’s always been a favorite for me and Panama checks off a lot of boxes. No hurricanes, non existent crime, great healthcare, great fishing and definitely a tax friendly country.

Reactions: Gaimcock
I’m married but I’m really focused on the Caribbean. It’s always been a favorite for me and Panama checks off a lot of boxes. No hurricanes, non existent crime, great healthcare, great fishing and definitely a tax friendly country.

I used to travel extensively to Honduras, Costa Rica, Panama, and Colombia. I never had problems in any of the locations, but I wouldn't say Panama has non-existent crime.

OSAC rates it among the safest CA countries, but also rates the crime rate as "high." https://www.osac.gov/Content/Report/c101bd67-03d9-41b2-91ac-15f4aebd03de

FWIW, I really love it there.

Reactions: cocks rule
In the USA or worldwide.

Panama for out of the country possibly. Anybody have any opinions or dealings with expat life?

That outer banks area sticks out in the ocean and gets hit by a lot of hurricanes. But it is nice!

Reactions: Chanticleer37
Take a look at Southwest Florida around Pine Island Sound and Charlotte Harbor.Incredible fishing with a nice easy pace of life.
I'm more into freshwater fishing so I'd probably prefer some jerkwater locale near one of the many FL trophy lakes. I'm also not really a big town type of guy.

A coworker who I barely know retired about five years ago and moved to Panama with her husband. Have heard from mutual friends that they’re very happy living there.

I was very impressed with Costa Rica when I vacationed there 25 years ago. I’ve been told Panama is similarly impressive, with beautiful landscapes and great weather.

Good luck!

Mountains of western NC for me. I spend all of my free time there now and I love it. Cooler temperatures, beautiful scenery, abundant wildlife and friendly people. Tons of outdoor activities to occupy my time for as long as my body holds up to enjoy them.

Some of the best fishing in the world is around the Outer Banks.

Edit: I just read where you were referring to freshwater fishing
Oh, I'll get salty as well. But mostly inshore. I'm not a fan of deep sea trips.

Last edited:

I saw on the news a few years back about a place in Mexico where a lot of Americans chose to retire. Man, it was a neat place about a 150 miles from the Texas border.

3 veterans were waiting for their last medical check up before retiring. The doctor came in and told them they would take 1 body measurement which would be their monthly retirement income. The 1st vet asked to be measured from his toes to the top of his head. The doctored measured. “6 feet” he said. “You’ll draw $6000 per month. The 2nd vet held his arms over his head and asked to be measured from his fingertips to his feet. After measuring the doctor said, “six feet 2 inches. You’ll draw $6200 per month”. The 3rd vet asked to be measured from the tip of his penis to his balls. The doctor laughed and asked if he was sure. “Absolutely” he replied and dropped his pants. The doctor bent down to measure, then asked, “Where are your balls sir?” To which the old vet replied, “Vietnam son. Vietnam”.

Leesville on lake Murray or
Mt Pleasant

we almost pulled the trigger on Key West, but Kingward is correct and we are close to our remaining parents so this plan is delayed without a timetable.

In the USA or worldwide.

I don't want to retire, I want to work and live until I die with a nice view where I can see this type of view daily...

19245347.jpg

Last edited:
Chicago or LA. Free firework shows
Never been to LA, but I spent a few days in Chicago a few years ago for work. I stayed on the riverfront area. It was really nice there. Hit the good local food spots, and went to Navy Pier one evening. Really enjoyed my time there visiting. Living there, especially now, wouldn’t be on the list of things I’d care to do.

Reactions: jonesz21
Leesville on lake Murray or
Mt Pleasant

we almost pulled the trigger on Key West, but Kingward is correct and we are close to our remaining parents so this plan is delayed without a timetable.
My. Pleasant would be nice. Would like to have the option to eat at The Wreck whenever I wanted, or to drive down to Bowen Island Restaurant whenever I wanted.

Reactions: Horseshoe 04
I retired in Columbia, and built a second house on Lake Murray. I am also heavily invested with Marriott in a time share, and until this year, have used it world wide. I do a lot of Viking Cruises too, and for international trips, Charlotte is just up the road. Not perfect, but it works, and works well, I might add. BTW, I grew up in Charleston, that until recently, was a great place to visit.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT