ADVERTISEMENT

Best time to be a student at Carolina.

lowcountry_cock13

Oct 12, 2017
I was a student from 09-13’.

During that time in football we beat Ole Miss on that Thursday night at #4. Three 11 win seasons. SEC East Title. Beat #1 Alabama handily. That 35-7 win over #5 UGA. 5 in a row against Clemson. You had a chance in every game you played.

Baseball- 2 National titles.

Basketball- Win over #1 Kentucky.

Was there a better era in sports to be a student??

Let me tell you about the worst time to be a USC student: 1989-1993. We got to campus after the death of Joe Morrison and the hiring of Sparky Woods. That 1989 season was probably going a little better than expected. Sparky and staff seemed to have reigned in Todd’s tendency to throw 3 picks per game. Then came the knee injury against NC State. We finish 6-4-1 (I think) and admin decides not to accept a bowl bid. By 1993, we still had zero bowl wins and Sparky was gone.
Basketball lost Brent Price to transfer, Joe Rhett developed a heart condition, Barry Manning broke his wrist and we had a football player getting time by the end of the season. The following season, Felton was fired. We bring in Steve Newton, won very few games and ended up on probation. Baseball was still respectable, but the days of Omaha were gone. We were maybe an above average Metro Conference team.
Dark days...

Let me tell you about the worst time to be a USC student: 1989-1993. We got to campus after the death of Joe Morrison and the hiring of Sparky Woods. That 1989 season was probably going a little better than expected. Sparky and staff seemed to have reigned in Todd’s tendency to throw 3 picks per game. Then came the knee injury against NC State. We finish 6-4-1 (I think) and admin decides not to accept a bowl bid. By 1993, we still had zero bowl wins and Sparky was gone.
Basketball lost Brent Price to transfer, Joe Rhett developed a heart condition, Barry Manning broke his wrist and we had a football player getting time by the end of the season. The following season, Felton was fired. We bring in Steve Newton, won very few games and ended up on probation. Baseball was still respectable, but the days of Omaha were gone. We were maybe an above average Metro Conference team.
Dark days...
Wow. At least you were on campus during the filming of “The Program” ha

During that time in football we beat Ole Miss on that Thursday night at #4. Three 11 win seasons. SEC East Title. Beat #1 Alabama handily. That 35-7 win over #5 UGA. 5 in a row against Clemson. You had a chance in every game you played.

Absolutely not! I rarely missed a home game at USC during that time. You are right USC football had a chance against anyone they played.

Dark days...
I was there then. Didn't feel as bad as 2018 to present does, and there were moments (Freshman Taneyhill's '92 win over Clemson). But now. . . . Six FB wins in the last two years. MBB . . well, you know. IIRC baseball has one regional win during this time. Plus, COVID has affected the whole scene around sports into a second year. This feels worse.

Would give anything to have that '09 - 13 vibe back.

I was 1997-2001. I must say it’s pretty cool to be a Gamecock fan that graduated from the University in 2001.

Football was in the Brad Scott dumpster fire when I started, but Lou Holtz had built us back into a legitimate contender (temporarily). I still believe his blueprint of lockdown defense and ball control offense (while not the most exciting to watch) is the key to building a winner here for the long term. Finally beat Clemsux my senior year, but should have beat them the year before as well.

Men’s Basketball suffered through Richmond, the Fogler burnout period and eventually the start of Dave Odom. So basketball was the king when I arrived and had slipped back into mediocrity before I left.

Baseball was starting to churn out 50 wins a year and establish their dominance over Clemsux. You knew baseball was starting something special. Didn’t think it would take almost 10 years to win a title, but we did get two titles out of it.

09-13 is unmatched. No greater era of success in school history.

Next closest would be ‘68-‘71 with three strait football wins over clemson, ‘69 ACC football championship and ‘71 ACC tournament title with berth to NCAA’s.

Honorable mention is 04-07 (2 NIT championships and beginning of Spurrier era. It’s easy to forget that we hadn’t beat Tennessee in football in 13 years or Florida in over 60 years before Spurrier showed up)

69-70 was not a good time. Paul Dietzel was fb coach, Frank McGuire was bb coach but the drugs and the student riots were a serious distraction.
My roommate got in trouble with a cop in 1971 because of those riots. He wasn't there, he was still in high school, but the cop was there and Tom looked the part.

Best time to be a student.......... when your 18!
"It is wonderful to be young. It is wonderful to be young and to be a student. It is wonderful to be young and to be a student of the University of South Carolina."

-Pope John Paul II

OLDJK7JVPFCAXM4SSMWAQDTU5Q.jpg

I believe you did OP. Sadly, outside of baseball, we have no real hardware to show for any of the sports that matter during that time. Was fun to be competitive though.

Reactions: uscnoklahoma2
10,11,12,13 would have been a nice time to be on campus.
Probably any other time all there was/is to look forward to is getting trashed in 5points.

I was at Carolina for Brad Scott’s last year- the one where we beat some team like South Florida (BARELY) in the first game and lost every game after that, the following season was Lou Holtz’s winless first season, then I was here for year 2&3 of Holtz- the Outback years! So, we went from the 1-21 stretch, right into the biggest bowl wins in our history at the time and the biggest turnaround in CFB history (from 0 to 8 wins)! So, while it sucked at first, the turnaround was epic! I don’t know that it was better, just telling my college FB story...

How about never, because success never has been a long-term prospect at this school. The good times are always temporary at USC.

My daughter was there those years. She changed majors so she was a student for 5 years. Now, she proudly states she is probably one of a very small group of students who never saw Carolina lose to Clemson in 5 years.

I was at Carolina for Brad Scott’s last year- the one where we beat some team like South Florida (BARELY) in the first game and lost every game after that, the following season was Lou Holtz’s winless first season, then I was here for year 2&3 of Holtz- the Outback years! So, we went from the 1-21 stretch, right into the biggest bowl wins in our history at the time and the biggest turnaround in CFB history (from 0 to 8 wins)! So, while it sucked at first, the turnaround was epic! I don’t know that it was better, just telling my college FB story...

Central Florida. But yeah they were about like South Florida. They did have Daunte Culpepper when we played them, but not much else.

That had to be one of the better runs in school history just from being so bad and losing to literally everyone to being able to compete with anyone in a short period of time.

Reactions: Gamecock Lifer
Dark days...
That would be me. 🙄

I was a student from 75-79, not a great era but it was exciting. Carlen was a good coach in football. Coach McGuire met with us once in the honeycombs and told us he really wanted USC to get back into the ACC. We missed rivalry games in basketball. Marquette and Notre Dame were the biggest ones as I recall.

Daughter attended during the height of the Spurrier run. I always told her the student section was fantastic during her years. Of course, the teams were really good too!

The best time was a long time ago when dinosaurs roamed the earth and co-eds were streaking . I wore out a pair of Converse all stars chasing several.

I was there from 78 to 82. Got to see George Rogers play his best ball and win the Heisman. Carlen was a respectable coach, he was an early victim of the Holderman corruption (how the news media could give him a pass for 10 years, when it was common knowledge on campus almost from day one that he was having sex with male interns, is beyond me.) Frank McGuire kept basketball at least competent. Those were the only two sports I really attended regularly, saw a few baseball and women's basketball games. Never set foot in any other sports venue.

I was thinking of bikini sunbathers on the horseshoe being the best time to be a student at Carolina...

Reactions: NetworkX
I was there in early 80s when George won the Heisman. Those were great years to be a student just because SC was fun as hell. I loved my school and if I could run the clock back I would do it all over again at South Carolina.

Reactions: coolcock2001
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT