ADVERTISEMENT

Best Vacation Spot in SC?

segroene

Dec 30, 2015
Husker fan living in Kansas City, Looking at doing an anniversary trip with the wife and she wants to do somewhere with a beach, but not too crowded with good food/shopping. Hopefully this place exists, haha. Any ideas would be extremely appreciated. Thanks!

Reactions: bengoshi73
Seabrook Island, its private but not terribly far from Charleston if you want to shop or many more food options.

July. So probably peak travel time for most people. That's why I'm trying to find something a little off the map that won't be too crowded. I've heard really good things about Charleston though.

Husker fan living in Kansas City, Looking at doing an anniversary trip with the wife and she wants to do somewhere with a beach, but not too crowded with good food/shopping. Hopefully this place exists, haha. Any ideas would be extremely appreciated. Thanks!

Lots of great beaches in SC. My vote is the "Arrogantly Shabby" Pawley's Island. Rich history and all kinds of shopping and great food. May even see the Grey Ghost while you're there. Actually hope not.....means a severe storm is headed your way.
Charleston is definitely worth seeing, but it's not the beach.....only a beautiful and easy drive away. Can't go wrong with any of the suggestions above. Enjoy!!!

Myrtle Beach is nice but busy

Charleston is nice and laid back.

Hilton Head even more laid back. More local oriented in Hilton Head.

Hilton Head Island is quite crowded. For a quiet beach, Edisto is great, but there's no shopping to speak of. Go for something just outside of Charleston, or perhaps North Myrtle Beach.

Beaufort, and Harbor or Fripp Islands are fine, but my guess is that the Mrs. will want more shopping than is available in Beaufort.

You may want to expand your search. North Myrtle Beach isn't romantic, Myrtle Beach is spread out, mostly chain food and jammed in July, Charleston's interesting with the best 'scenery' outside the city visiting the nearby plantations, King Street's OK but other than Ben Silver's (if she wants to buy you a $150 tie) I've never thought the stores were that interesting.
The City Market is much more flea market than treasure trove - Charleston does have many fine restaurants, but no 'beaches'. Isle of Palms is surrounded by stone rip-wrap, its eroding; Sullivan's Island is essentially residential but there is a street of bars a few blocks back from the surf ... though very little shopping. the 'nearest' actually accessible 'beach' (from downtown) is Folly Beach - which they claim is 10 minutes from downtown, when in fact it's more like 30 and a pain if Folly Road is jammed, which in July is normal.
Seabrook has no shopping to speak of, Kiawah is a residential/golf resort, Hilton Head is also spread out, its 'beaches' paltry, narrow and parking non-existent unless you're staying on the oceanfront.
Fripp Island's nice but isolated, no shops - a neat 'grocery', though - and at one time a Polo outlet store, although I'm not sure it they have it any more.
From Kansas City you might enjoy Savannah much more, Tybee Island boasts an excellent beach far more convenient to downtown than any of Charleston's surrounding island beaches. Also St. Simons Island, which when reading your 'wish list' comes closest IMHO to matching all your wants - quaint shops on Mallory Street in the 'village' - a neat lighthouse, lots of great restaurants (NOT 'chains') and several very nice hotels or oceanfront condominiums to choose from. A 'cross the inlet' trip to Jekyll Island is a must - its membership in 1900 controlled 25% of the entire world's wealth.
Another consideration (from Kansas City) if 'East Coast' is what you want should include Amelia Island (the town of Fernandina Beach) - 'Centre Street' has wonderful shops, the restaurants and bars are special (including the oldest bar in Florida) ... west coast you should look at Destin, the finest beach I've ever visited, its sand white as salt, the water so clear you can wade out chest deep and still see your feet.
St. Augustine is a wonderful city to visit, great shops, the fort, terrific nearby beaches on A1A - fun 'old fashion' things to do, and you'll be walking on the oldest streets in America settled by Europeans - there's almost always a breeze, even in July.
Best bet? Fly into Myrtle Beach, rent a car (that you can take 'out of state') spend night 1 in Murrells Inlet at the Inlet Sports Lodge, visit the Marshwalk for dinner, check out and visit Brookgreen Gardens on your way to Charleston, try the Mills House on Meeting Street or the Indigo Inn Night 2 - eat at 82 Queen, pick any plantation, Boone Hall in Mt. Pleasant or anything out Hwy 61 - then take 17 South to Hilton Head, stay at the Westin on the ocean night 3 - eat at the oceanfront seafood luau adjacent to the hotel on the ocean -then travel to Savannah, have a late lunch upon arrival at Mrs. Wilkes boarding house, check-in the Marriott along the River Walk night 4, great shops and bars and scenery. Drive to St. Simons Island, check into the King & Prince for night 5 - visit Mallory Street then Jekyll Island on the way to Amelia Island - check into the Ritz Carlton for night 6 - explore Centre Street, then on to St. Augustine for night 7 - see the fort, the Fountain of Youth and stroll through the oldest gates in America along the quaint shop row on a street laid out for carts not cars 400 years ago.
Return your car to the airport in Jacksonville, several direct flights to Kansas City.

Edisto is about as laid back as you can get. Enjoyed it last year.

Charleston is beautiful but not a beach town.
Hilton Head is one of my favorites. Not too commercial but plenty of sand.

SportsSuites, you can get to Sullivan's Island in 10-15 minutes from Downtown Charleston. Also, Charleston has TONS of great shopping. WAY BETTER than Savannah, and I enjoy both cities a lot. The only advantage Savannah has is Bass Pro, but nobody is centering their trip around chain shopping. Dumas, Berlin's, Gwynns, antiques galore, high end chains, women's shoes, jewelry, hats, art, art, and more art, crafts, local wares, and records and that's without going into the market area. I'm not sure what you couldn't find in Charleston, but I'm guessing you didn't have the right person helping you find it.

Charleston is also unrivalled with regard to dining in comparison with other cities nearby. You could try a different restaurant (not chain) every meal for 7 days and still not come close to hitting all the best spots. Halls, FIG, Circa 1886, Charleston Grill, Hominy, Edmunds Oast, Fuel, Tattooed Moose, 167 Raw, Husk, Chicks, EVO, Early Bird, Martha Lous, Seewee, Peninsula, Hanks, etc. are all amazing and span every budget and palate.

The drawback to Charleston is the price of lodging downtown. Most start at $200 a night. July is also brutally hot. However, you could stay at IOP (abt 30 minutes to downtown) and get the beach, Mt. P shopping (10 minutes), and still do several days downtown. Oh, you probably need a car either way because many of thr coolest sites aren't downtown.

Pawleys Island. The water is prettier than around Charleston, but if you wanna go down there for a great meal it's an hour away.

Reactions: ipull4usc
Edisto is about as laid back as you can get. Enjoyed it last year.

Charleston is beautiful but not a beach town.
Hilton Head is one of my favorites. Not too commercial but plenty of sand.
edisto is very laid back.....the only place that is crowded is the only tiny grocery store on the island.....we have a share in a beach house and go down there ALOT.....there are several good restaurants to eat at, but shopping is well, for a woman lacking.....with that said, you can always stay at edisto and drive to charleston for shopping, which is about an hour away

You may want to expand your search. North Myrtle Beach isn't romantic, Myrtle Beach is spread out, mostly chain food and jammed in July, Charleston's interesting with the best 'scenery' outside the city visiting the nearby plantations, King Street's OK but other than Ben Silver's (if she wants to buy you a $150 tie) I've never thought the stores were that interesting.
The City Market is much more flea market than treasure trove - Charleston does have many fine restaurants, but no 'beaches'. Isle of Palms is surrounded by stone rip-wrap, its eroding; Sullivan's Island is essentially residential but there is a street of bars a few blocks back from the surf ... though very little shopping. the 'nearest' actually accessible 'beach' (from downtown) is Folly Beach - which they claim is 10 minutes from downtown, when in fact it's more like 30 and a pain if Folly Road is jammed, which in July is normal.
Seabrook has no shopping to speak of, Kiawah is a residential/golf resort, Hilton Head is also spread out, its 'beaches' paltry, narrow and parking non-existent unless you're staying on the oceanfront.
Fripp Island's nice but isolated, no shops - a neat 'grocery', though - and at one time a Polo outlet store, although I'm not sure it they have it any more.
From Kansas City you might enjoy Savannah much more, Tybee Island boasts an excellent beach far more convenient to downtown than any of Charleston's surrounding island beaches. Also St. Simons Island, which when reading your 'wish list' comes closest IMHO to matching all your wants - quaint shops on Mallory Street in the 'village' - a neat lighthouse, lots of great restaurants (NOT 'chains') and several very nice hotels or oceanfront condominiums to choose from. A 'cross the inlet' trip to Jekyll Island is a must - its membership in 1900 controlled 25% of the entire world's wealth.
Another consideration (from Kansas City) if 'East Coast' is what you want should include Amelia Island (the town of Fernandina Beach) - 'Centre Street' has wonderful shops, the restaurants and bars are special (including the oldest bar in Florida) ... west coast you should look at Destin, the finest beach I've ever visited, its sand white as salt, the water so clear you can wade out chest deep and still see your feet.
St. Augustine is a wonderful city to visit, great shops, the fort, terrific nearby beaches on A1A - fun 'old fashion' things to do, and you'll be walking on the oldest streets in America settled by Europeans - there's almost always a breeze, even in July.
Best bet? Fly into Myrtle Beach, rent a car (that you can take 'out of state') spend night 1 in Murrells Inlet at the Inlet Sports Lodge, visit the Marshwalk for dinner, check out and visit Brookgreen Gardens on your way to Charleston, try the Mills House on Meeting Street or the Indigo Inn Night 2 - eat at 82 Queen, pick any plantation, Boone Hall in Mt. Pleasant or anything out Hwy 61 - then take 17 South to Hilton Head, stay at the Westin on the ocean night 3 - eat at the oceanfront seafood luau adjacent to the hotel on the ocean -then travel to Savannah, have a late lunch upon arrival at Mrs. Wilkes boarding house, check-in the Marriott along the River Walk night 4, great shops and bars and scenery. Drive to St. Simons Island, check into the King & Prince for night 5 - visit Mallory Street then Jekyll Island on the way to Amelia Island - check into the Ritz Carlton for night 6 - explore Centre Street, then on to St. Augustine for night 7 - see the fort, the Fountain of Youth and stroll through the oldest gates in America along the quaint shop row on a street laid out for carts not cars 400 years ago.
Return your car to the airport in Jacksonville, several direct flights to Kansas City.
Wouldn't go near Savannah right now. It's a shame but they are having a major crime problem...a lot of shootings and its spilling over into the tourist areas and the parks. Hilton Head has added a lot of parking at Coligny Circle and if you are staying on the island, you are probably staying in a plantation which has its own beaches.

Reactions: 67gamecock
Lots of great beaches in SC. My vote is the "Arrogantly Shabby" Pawley's Island. Rich history and all kinds of shopping and great food. May even see the Grey Ghost while you're there. Actually hope not.....means a severe storm is headed your way.
Charleston is definitely worth seeing, but it's not the beach.....only a beautiful and easy drive away. Can't go wrong with any of the suggestions above. Enjoy!!!

I would have said Pawley's Island as well, but shops there are so so....

I really think of shopping at Pawley's, only relaxation...

Check out the Isle Of Palms, which is next to Charleston. At IOP, you can enjoy the beach during the day. Then you can drive over the Ravenel Bridge into Charleston and enjoy the port city at night or anytime in the day.

You must drive thru Beaufort. Hour and a half if you go 278 to 95 to 17 into Charleston.

Assuming a 30 minute drive from HHI to Hardeeville (US 278 @ I-95), no way it's a 1-hour drive from Hardeeville to Charleston.

Actually, I've never driven from HHI directly to Charleston, but I have driven all parts of your described route.

Rather than Orangeburg, we can suggest Allendale to Segroene (the op):p.

Last edited:
To the hell what the wife wants. A whole lot of coastal talk so imma say...

Go check out the mountains. Lots of options to rent cabins, state parks, hiking etc etc.

When I go on vacation I don't want to battle traffic, other tourists, parking issues, etc and when you get home you feel like you need a vacation from your vacation.

Go get some peace and quiet. It's nice up here.

Pawlys is the best hands down. Ive been all over the state and country. I have lived all over. And there is great food there. Franks, Bliss and a few others Brookgreen Gardens is awesome and also offers good food. But are you going now or during the summer. I also hate these questions because I might want something different than you. Other than that Id go to Ashville. Also Great food in Georgetown. 700 is awesome.

Pawlys is the best hands down. Ive been all over the state and country. I have lived all over. And there is great food there. Franks, Bliss and a few others Brookgreen Gardens is awesome and also offers good food. But are you going now or during the summer. I also hate these questions because I might want something different than you. Other than that Id go to Ashville. Also Great food in Georgetown. 700 is awesome.

Frank's and Frank's Outback ARE great - Bliss was in Murrells Inlet 10 miles North of PI and it closed down before the new year, the building's owner (ISL next door) are looking for a new tenant now.
i don't get the 'love' for Pawley's Island unless you bring your own entertainment - anything below the south causeway has zero beach at high tide (Bird's Nest area-south) -erosion is horrible ... are you suggesting the OP rent a house cause there are NO hotels (real hotels) on PI - just two places w/ no TV's, no AC and some porches - albeit excellent meals. Some of the condo's mid-island are in rental pools - go through the Hammock Shops area and shopping's done - that other stuff on 17 is ho-hum ... Bistro 17 is good on the mainland. Most people end up at the P.I.T. for drinks/entertainment.
The Litchfield area is far superior to PI IMHO... and the beach there is the best in SC - 10X's better than PI from the south jetty to PI-inlet, it's wide, w/ HUGE dunes, foot-traffic into Huntington Beach State Park.
All this 'stuff' people are suggesting - little, if any of it is 'concentrated' - which takes me back to my original suggestion. St. Simons is CONCENTRATED ... shopping, beaches, accommodations of all types, great dining, beauty and you can go 'bout anywhere on a bicycle.- recommending 'dining' in Georgetown while vacationing in PI seems odd to me - that's a wide net.
The OP said BEACH ... the holy city ain't GOT a 'beach' ... but everybody seems to want to push Charleston. I LIKE Hilton Head, we owned a condo there for 'bout 5-years till somebody wanted it way more than me - I like HHI when the Heritage is cooking, the rest of the time it's a 'retirement' community/timeshare destination.
BEACH !!! - the guy said BEACH ! (with shopping) - not shopping 'over a bridge', down Bay or Meeting looking for parking.
As for 'crime' click crimespot or google 'crime maps' and enter any location you want to - I think you'll be SURPRISED what you find. Savannah's riverfront is VERY SAFE ... and for that matter so is Centre Street in Fernandina Beach on Ameila Island.
I agree Charleston has AWESOME restaurants, some of the country's best - but they don't have a BEACH. Sullivans Island? What do you suggest these 'visitors' do? Park at Poe's Tavern and hoof it, park by the Fort and hoof it around, look for a vacant driveway?
There aren't but 20 +/- street ends on SI and less than 200 public parking spaces, total ... the OP said he's coming in JULY ... I can only assume you're in the towing business.

i don't get the 'love' for Pawley's Island unless you bring your own entertainment........

Are you a travel agent? :cool:

Awesome suggestions, although spending seven consecutive nights each in a different locale may be a bit much. I think what you were probably trying to convey is the myriad of options available.

Segroene probably has to prioritize the wants, but from what you conveyed, it sounds like St. Simons may be their best bet.

So much for Allendale:p

St. Simons is our new favorite spot, and I think I have spent time on virtually every spot on the SC coast that a person has access to with a vehicle.

ADVERTISEMENT