Best Vacation Spot in SC?

Discussion in 'Fighting Gamecocks Forum' started by segroene, Feb 4, 2016.

1. segroene

segroene New Member
    Expand Collapse

Husker fan living in Kansas City, Looking at doing an anniversary trip with the wife and she wants to do somewhere with a beach, but not too crowded with good food/shopping. Hopefully this place exists, haha. Any ideas would be extremely appreciated. Thanks!

bengoshi73 likes this.
  2. world famous 3rd base hecklers

world famous 3rd base hecklers Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

Charleston or Hilton Head Island...

3. NorthCowpensCock

NorthCowpensCock Active Member
    Expand Collapse

Myrtle Beach is nice but busy

Charleston is nice and laid back.

Hilton Head even more laid back. More local oriented in Hilton Head.

4. Bleedgarnet33

Bleedgarnet33 Member
    Expand Collapse

Seabrook Island, its private but not terribly far from Charleston if you want to shop or many more food options.

5. northGAcock

northGAcock Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

Kiawah Island. if you are looking for a laid back atmosphere....except when out walking around....keep an eye out for Wallygator.

Cola G'Cock and GamecockTripp like this.
  6. garnet blood

garnet blood Well-Known Member
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

North Myrtle Beach and chose how much crowd or shopping you want. Eat at Calabash, NC, a short drive. What time of year? Avoid Bikers week.

GamecockTripp and gamecockfan04 like this.
  7. king ward

king ward Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

Good recommendations. Everyone ought to do Charleston at least once. Outstanding tourist city with plenty of nice lodging and retail downtown. But there are beaches nearby where you could stay or simply visit if staying in the city.

8. segroene

segroene New Member
    Expand Collapse

July. So probably peak travel time for most people. That's why I'm trying to find something a little off the map that won't be too crowded. I've heard really good things about Charleston though.

9. Cocky One

Cocky One Member
    Expand Collapse

Lots of great beaches in SC. My vote is the "Arrogantly Shabby" Pawley's Island. Rich history and all kinds of shopping and great food. May even see the Grey Ghost while you're there. Actually hope not.....means a severe storm is headed your way.
    Charleston is definitely worth seeing, but it's not the beach.....only a beautiful and easy drive away. Can't go wrong with any of the suggestions above. Enjoy!!!

10. Garnet Man

Garnet Man Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

Charleston SC is like a separate country of its own with its rich history, internationally known cuisine, and true southern hospitality.

11. atl-cock

atl-cock Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

Hilton Head Island is quite crowded. For a quiet beach, Edisto is great, but there's no shopping to speak of. Go for something just outside of Charleston, or perhaps North Myrtle Beach.

Beaufort, and Harbor or Fripp Islands are fine, but my guess is that the Mrs. will want more shopping than is available in Beaufort.

12. SilatGamecock

SilatGamecock Active Member
    Expand Collapse

Wallhala in Spring is beuatiful.

13. NorthCowpensCock

NorthCowpensCock Active Member
    Expand Collapse

lol.
    bout as nice as Cowpens?

Tigerof66 likes this.
  14. aj&uscgrad

aj&uscgrad Active Member
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

Edisto

HOOVERCOCKFAN likes this.
  15. Pruittmatt44

Pruittmatt44 Member
    Expand Collapse

Due west is a great college town!

NorthCowpensCock likes this.
  16. pepsicock

pepsicock Well-Known Member
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

Columbia SC Home of the Fighting Gamecocks !!!
    Cherry Grove Beach SC .

17. SportsSuites1

SportsSuites1 Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

You may want to expand your search. North Myrtle Beach isn't romantic, Myrtle Beach is spread out, mostly chain food and jammed in July, Charleston's interesting with the best 'scenery' outside the city visiting the nearby plantations, King Street's OK but other than Ben Silver's (if she wants to buy you a $150 tie) I've never thought the stores were that interesting.
    The City Market is much more flea market than treasure trove - Charleston does have many fine restaurants, but no 'beaches'. Isle of Palms is surrounded by stone rip-wrap, its eroding; Sullivan's Island is essentially residential but there is a street of bars a few blocks back from the surf ... though very little shopping. the 'nearest' actually accessible 'beach' (from downtown) is Folly Beach - which they claim is 10 minutes from downtown, when in fact it's more like 30 and a pain if Folly Road is jammed, which in July is normal.
    Seabrook has no shopping to speak of, Kiawah is a residential/golf resort, Hilton Head is also spread out, its 'beaches' paltry, narrow and parking non-existent unless you're staying on the oceanfront.
    Fripp Island's nice but isolated, no shops - a neat 'grocery', though - and at one time a Polo outlet store, although I'm not sure it they have it any more.
    From Kansas City you might enjoy Savannah much more, Tybee Island boasts an excellent beach far more convenient to downtown than any of Charleston's surrounding island beaches. Also St. Simons Island, which when reading your 'wish list' comes closest IMHO to matching all your wants - quaint shops on Mallory Street in the 'village' - a neat lighthouse, lots of great restaurants (NOT 'chains') and several very nice hotels or oceanfront condominiums to choose from. A 'cross the inlet' trip to Jekyll Island is a must - its membership in 1900 controlled 25% of the entire world's wealth.
    Another consideration (from Kansas City) if 'East Coast' is what you want should include Amelia Island (the town of Fernandina Beach) - 'Centre Street' has wonderful shops, the restaurants and bars are special (including the oldest bar in Florida) ... west coast you should look at Destin, the finest beach I've ever visited, its sand white as salt, the water so clear you can wade out chest deep and still see your feet.
    St. Augustine is a wonderful city to visit, great shops, the fort, terrific nearby beaches on A1A - fun 'old fashion' things to do, and you'll be walking on the oldest streets in America settled by Europeans - there's almost always a breeze, even in July.
    Best bet? Fly into Myrtle Beach, rent a car (that you can take 'out of state') spend night 1 in Murrells Inlet at the Inlet Sports Lodge, visit the Marshwalk for dinner, check out and visit Brookgreen Gardens on your way to Charleston, try the Mills House on Meeting Street or the Indigo Inn Night 2 - eat at 82 Queen, pick any plantation, Boone Hall in Mt. Pleasant or anything out Hwy 61 - then take 17 South to Hilton Head, stay at the Westin on the ocean night 3 - eat at the oceanfront seafood luau adjacent to the hotel on the ocean -then travel to Savannah, have a late lunch upon arrival at Mrs. Wilkes boarding house, check-in the Marriott along the River Walk night 4, great shops and bars and scenery. Drive to St. Simons Island, check into the King & Prince for night 5 - visit Mallory Street then Jekyll Island on the way to Amelia Island - check into the Ritz Carlton for night 6 - explore Centre Street, then on to St. Augustine for night 7 - see the fort, the Fountain of Youth and stroll through the oldest gates in America along the quaint shop row on a street laid out for carts not cars 400 years ago.
    Return your car to the airport in Jacksonville, several direct flights to Kansas City.

Tigerof66 and mbsurfside like this.
  18. johnnyplaid

johnnyplaid Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

Edisto is about as laid back as you can get. Enjoyed it last year.

Charleston is beautiful but not a beach town.
    Hilton Head is one of my favorites. Not too commercial but plenty of sand.

19. alistair_10

alistair_10 Active Member
    Expand Collapse

SportsSuites, you can get to Sullivan's Island in 10-15 minutes from Downtown Charleston. Also, Charleston has TONS of great shopping. WAY BETTER than Savannah, and I enjoy both cities a lot. The only advantage Savannah has is Bass Pro, but nobody is centering their trip around chain shopping. Dumas, Berlin's, Gwynns, antiques galore, high end chains, women's shoes, jewelry, hats, art, art, and more art, crafts, local wares, and records and that's without going into the market area. I'm not sure what you couldn't find in Charleston, but I'm guessing you didn't have the right person helping you find it.

Charleston is also unrivalled with regard to dining in comparison with other cities nearby. You could try a different restaurant (not chain) every meal for 7 days and still not come close to hitting all the best spots. Halls, FIG, Circa 1886, Charleston Grill, Hominy, Edmunds Oast, Fuel, Tattooed Moose, 167 Raw, Husk, Chicks, EVO, Early Bird, Martha Lous, Seewee, Peninsula, Hanks, etc. are all amazing and span every budget and palate.

The drawback to Charleston is the price of lodging downtown. Most start at $200 a night. July is also brutally hot. However, you could stay at IOP (abt 30 minutes to downtown) and get the beach, Mt. P shopping (10 minutes), and still do several days downtown. Oh, you probably need a car either way because many of thr coolest sites aren't downtown.

20. Tigertrain1

Tigertrain1 Member
    Expand Collapse

Hilton head. 1hr to Savannah and 1.5 to Charleston from Hilton head

21. IH8FATBRAD

IH8FATBRAD Well-Known Member
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

Pawleys Island. The water is prettier than around Charleston, but if you wanna go down there for a great meal it's an hour away.

ipull4usc likes this.
  22. usaguy40

usaguy40 Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

edisto is very laid back.....the only place that is crowded is the only tiny grocery store on the island.....we have a share in a beach house and go down there ALOT.....there are several good restaurants to eat at, but shopping is well, for a woman lacking.....with that said, you can always stay at edisto and drive to charleston for shopping, which is about an hour away

23. rogue cock

rogue cock Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

Wouldn't go near Savannah right now. It's a shame but they are having a major crime problem...a lot of shootings and its spilling over into the tourist areas and the parks. Hilton Head has added a lot of parking at Coligny Circle and if you are staying on the island, you are probably staying in a plantation which has its own beaches.

67gamecock likes this.
  24. world famous 3rd base hecklers

world famous 3rd base hecklers Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

I would have said Pawley's Island as well, but shops there are so so....

I really think of shopping at Pawley's, only relaxation...

25. atl-cock

Expand Collapse

More like two hours to Chas from HHI - it's 90 minutes from Beaufort to Chas.

26. gamecock stock

gamecock stock Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

Check out the Isle Of Palms, which is next to Charleston. At IOP, you can enjoy the beach during the day. Then you can drive over the Ravenel Bridge into Charleston and enjoy the port city at night or anytime in the day.

27. rogue cock

Expand Collapse

You must drive thru Beaufort. Hour and a half if you go 278 to 95 to 17 into Charleston.

28. gamecox4982

gamecox4982 Active Member
    Expand Collapse

Cherry Grove in North Myrtle Beach

GamecockTripp likes this.
  29. CAPTCOCK61

CAPTCOCK61 Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

Orangeburg

30. Roger Moore

Roger Moore Member
    Expand Collapse

LOL

31. gfluvsthecocks

gfluvsthecocks Active Member
    Expand Collapse

The Inn at Palmetto Bluff.

32. atl-cock

Expand Collapse

Assuming a 30 minute drive from HHI to Hardeeville (US 278 @ I-95), no way it's a 1-hour drive from Hardeeville to Charleston.

Actually, I've never driven from HHI directly to Charleston, but I have driven all parts of your described route.

Rather than Orangeburg, we can suggest Allendale to Segroene (the op):p.

32 atl-cock, Feb 4, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 4, 2016
  33. rogue cock

Expand Collapse

That's very nice....just no beach. Would have to drive onto HH, but its a quick drive.

34. bmhood1984

bmhood1984 Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

To the hell what the wife wants. A whole lot of coastal talk so imma say...

Go check out the mountains. Lots of options to rent cabins, state parks, hiking etc etc.

When I go on vacation I don't want to battle traffic, other tourists, parking issues, etc and when you get home you feel like you need a vacation from your vacation.

Go get some peace and quiet. It's nice up here.

35. bmhood1984

bmhood1984 Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

It doesn't snow in the mtns 24-7\365

Snows in July??

It must be

Nice edit btw. . . poof. Gone.

36. wdt001

wdt001 Member
    Expand Collapse

Pawlys is the best hands down. Ive been all over the state and country. I have lived all over. And there is great food there. Franks, Bliss and a few others Brookgreen Gardens is awesome and also offers good food. But are you going now or during the summer. I also hate these questions because I might want something different than you. Other than that Id go to Ashville. Also Great food in Georgetown. 700 is awesome.

37. SportsSuites1

SportsSuites1 Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

Frank's and Frank's Outback ARE great - Bliss was in Murrells Inlet 10 miles North of PI and it closed down before the new year, the building's owner (ISL next door) are looking for a new tenant now.
    i don't get the 'love' for Pawley's Island unless you bring your own entertainment - anything below the south causeway has zero beach at high tide (Bird's Nest area-south) -erosion is horrible ... are you suggesting the OP rent a house cause there are NO hotels (real hotels) on PI - just two places w/ no TV's, no AC and some porches - albeit excellent meals. Some of the condo's mid-island are in rental pools - go through the Hammock Shops area and shopping's done - that other stuff on 17 is ho-hum ... Bistro 17 is good on the mainland. Most people end up at the P.I.T. for drinks/entertainment.
    The Litchfield area is far superior to PI IMHO... and the beach there is the best in SC - 10X's better than PI from the south jetty to PI-inlet, it's wide, w/ HUGE dunes, foot-traffic into Huntington Beach State Park.
    All this 'stuff' people are suggesting - little, if any of it is 'concentrated' - which takes me back to my original suggestion. St. Simons is CONCENTRATED ... shopping, beaches, accommodations of all types, great dining, beauty and you can go 'bout anywhere on a bicycle.- recommending 'dining' in Georgetown while vacationing in PI seems odd to me - that's a wide net.
    The OP said BEACH ... the holy city ain't GOT a 'beach' ... but everybody seems to want to push Charleston. I LIKE Hilton Head, we owned a condo there for 'bout 5-years till somebody wanted it way more than me - I like HHI when the Heritage is cooking, the rest of the time it's a 'retirement' community/timeshare destination.
    BEACH !!! - the guy said BEACH ! (with shopping) - not shopping 'over a bridge', down Bay or Meeting looking for parking.
    As for 'crime' click crimespot or google 'crime maps' and enter any location you want to - I think you'll be SURPRISED what you find. Savannah's riverfront is VERY SAFE ... and for that matter so is Centre Street in Fernandina Beach on Ameila Island.
    I agree Charleston has AWESOME restaurants, some of the country's best - but they don't have a BEACH. Sullivans Island? What do you suggest these 'visitors' do? Park at Poe's Tavern and hoof it, park by the Fort and hoof it around, look for a vacant driveway?
    There aren't but 20 +/- street ends on SI and less than 200 public parking spaces, total ... the OP said he's coming in JULY ... I can only assume you're in the towing business.

38. atl-cock

Expand Collapse

Are you a travel agent? :cool:

Awesome suggestions, although spending seven consecutive nights each in a different locale may be a bit much. I think what you were probably trying to convey is the myriad of options available.

Segroene probably has to prioritize the wants, but from what you conveyed, it sounds like St. Simons may be their best bet.

So much for Allendale:p

39. msc1992

msc1992 Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

Sullivans Island
    Enough said

SlashElectric and DirtyCock99 like this.
  40. SmokinStokesBBQ

Expand Collapse

St. Simons is our new favorite spot, and I think I have spent time on virtually every spot on the SC coast that a person has access to with a vehicle.