ADVERTISEMENT

Best Vacation Spot in SC?

Please don't come to Cherry Grove, North Myrtle Beach in July, as that is when I will be there. You will NOT like the wide beaches, or modest prices for home rentals. You will Not like the many golf courses within a 30 minute drive. You will Not like the short drive to Calabash for seafood or the locals seafood eateries like Stevens Oyster Roast or Duffy's Seafood. What ever you do, you will NOT like the tremendous breakfast at Mama Jean's or Hoskins Rest. in Ocean Drive. You wife will NOT like the shopping areas newly built in North Myrtle Beach or the Outlet Mall just down the road towards Myrtle Beach. If you have young boys, they will NOT like the fishing off Cherry Grove Pier, or fishing in Hoghead inlet where they can catch flounder and see many different forms of sealife at low tide. They also would NOT like the half day or full day fishing trips that leave out of Calabash on a daily basis.
Cherry Grove is just NOT a place to come to and spend a quiet time on the beach with your family and just enjoy the beach. If it was up to me, I would just go somewhere else. You will NOT enjoy your vacation there. It is just NOT a place that a family comes to year after year after year. I really don't understand why I have been coming here since 1981. Please don't come, you will NOT enjoy it.

The beaches from the North Jetty at Winyah Bay up to the Surfside Pier are awesome without the MB crowds. Nice water...blue/green in color....wide white sand beaches.

Pawleys just has less people. When you go down to the beach from 17 at GC or Surfside. ...it's best to just stay there at times.

Check out the Isle Of Palms, which is next to Charleston. At IOP, you can enjoy the beach during the day. Then you can drive over the Ravenel Bridge into Charleston and enjoy the port city at night or anytime in the day.
This. IOP is perfect for off the map treasures. Acme cantina for brunch is a must do. Some shopping back across the inlet in mount pleasant. Might be easier to stay in mount pleasant if you're looking for a hotel. IOP, Sullivan's and Folly are all within minutes of downtown Charleston.

Reactions: BigTomE
Please don't come to Cherry Grove, North Myrtle Beach in July, as that is when I will be there. You will NOT like the wide beaches, or modest prices for home rentals. You will Not like the many golf courses within a 30 minute drive. You will Not like the short drive to Calabash for seafood or the locals seafood eateries like Stevens Oyster Roast or Duffy's Seafood. What ever you do, you will NOT like the tremendous breakfast at Mama Jean's or Hoskins Rest. in Ocean Drive. You wife will NOT like the shopping areas newly built in North Myrtle Beach or the Outlet Mall just down the road towards Myrtle Beach. If you have young boys, they will NOT like the fishing off Cherry Grove Pier, or fishing in Hoghead inlet where they can catch flounder and see many different forms of sealife at low tide. They also would NOT like the half day or full day fishing trips that leave out of Calabash on a daily basis.
Cherry Grove is just NOT a place to come to and spend a quiet time on the beach with your family and just enjoy the beach. If it was up to me, I would just go somewhere else. You will NOT enjoy your vacation there. It is just NOT a place that a family comes to year after year after year. I really don't understand why I have been coming here since 1981. Please don't come, you will NOT enjoy it.
Funny that you mention modest rentals in Cherry Grove. When I was a lifeguard in MB in the early 80s, that was the only place we could afford to rent a small bungalow home. The only way we really made money was chair and umbrella rentals and selling tanning lotion, otherwise I would've been broke.

Reactions: SportsSuites1
This. IOP is perfect for off the map treasures. Acme cantina for brunch is a must do. Some shopping back across the inlet in mount pleasant. Might be easier to stay in mount pleasant if you're looking for a hotel. IOP, Sullivan's and Folly are all within minutes of downtown Charleston.

I agree about Isle Of Palms. You have the best of both worlds: 1. Beach and not crowded 2. minutes away from Charleston where you can shop until your heart is content; also great restaurants in and around Charleston, with plenty of things to do and explore.

Reactions: DirtyCock99

Do you rent from a certain place when you go down?

Husker fan living in Kansas City, Looking at doing an anniversary trip with the wife and she wants to do somewhere with a beach, but not too crowded with good food/shopping. Hopefully this place exists, haha. Any ideas would be extremely appreciated. Thanks!
Isle of Palms---best beach on the east coast===near Charleston

Hilton Head. Good food, not too crowded and AAA+ beaches. We also enjoy Edisto Island.

Hilton Head is like beach heaven in late Sept or the entire month of October.

By the way....how are those winters in KC?

Reactions: usc1978
You can't get more laid back than Edisto Beach. No traffic lights! No tacky t shirt shops! No putt putt course on every corner! It's like stepping back in time. A true Carolina beach town. No shopping in Edisto, but it's only a beautiful 1 hour drive to Charleston.

Kiawah/Seabrook islands are very nice as well, but might set you back a hefty sum. Both have beautiful uncrowded beaches. Freshfields Village, located at the traffic circle between Kiawah and Seabrook gated entrances, provides great shopping and dinning. They also have different events nightly like a farmers market, live music, outdoor moving showing. Both islands are about a 30 minute drive to downtown Charleston.
I'd stay away from the Myrtle Beach area in July. Big crowds and traffic nightmare. Myrtle is fun, but not a great representation of the Carolina coast. Unless you like looking down the beach and seeing miles upon miles of hotels, putt putt courses, air brushed t shirt shops, and traffic lights. I'm a Charleston native, and I'll admit we do sort of look down our noses at Myrtle Beach. It is a fun place though, and I've had fun every trip I've taken there.

Do you rent from a certain place when you go down?

No..I own my home there. Use to rent it out, but stopped about 8 years ago. Use to rent through an agency, Grace Realty. I have a friend that rents his house himself, and also thru Cherry Grove Beach Vacations. I would also try VRBO, if you are looking for a house.

Last edited:
You may want to expand your search. North Myrtle Beach isn't romantic, Myrtle Beach is spread out, mostly chain food and jammed in July, Charleston's interesting with the best 'scenery' outside the city visiting the nearby plantations, King Street's OK but other than Ben Silver's (if she wants to buy you a $150 tie) I've never thought the stores were that interesting.
The City Market is much more flea market than treasure trove - Charleston does have many fine restaurants, but no 'beaches'. Isle of Palms is surrounded by stone rip-wrap, its eroding; Sullivan's Island is essentially residential but there is a street of bars a few blocks back from the surf ... though very little shopping. the 'nearest' actually accessible 'beach' (from downtown) is Folly Beach - which they claim is 10 minutes from downtown, when in fact it's more like 30 and a pain if Folly Road is jammed, which in July is normal.
Seabrook has no shopping to speak of, Kiawah is a residential/golf resort, Hilton Head is also spread out, its 'beaches' paltry, narrow and parking non-existent unless you're staying on the oceanfront.
Fripp Island's nice but isolated, no shops - a neat 'grocery', though - and at one time a Polo outlet store, although I'm not sure it they have it any more.
From Kansas City you might enjoy Savannah much more, Tybee Island boasts an excellent beach far more convenient to downtown than any of Charleston's surrounding island beaches. Also St. Simons Island, which when reading your 'wish list' comes closest IMHO to matching all your wants - quaint shops on Mallory Street in the 'village' - a neat lighthouse, lots of great restaurants (NOT 'chains') and several very nice hotels or oceanfront condominiums to choose from. A 'cross the inlet' trip to Jekyll Island is a must - its membership in 1900 controlled 25% of the entire world's wealth.
Another consideration (from Kansas City) if 'East Coast' is what you want should include Amelia Island (the town of Fernandina Beach) - 'Centre Street' has wonderful shops, the restaurants and bars are special (including the oldest bar in Florida) ... west coast you should look at Destin, the finest beach I've ever visited, its sand white as salt, the water so clear you can wade out chest deep and still see your feet.
St. Augustine is a wonderful city to visit, great shops, the fort, terrific nearby beaches on A1A - fun 'old fashion' things to do, and you'll be walking on the oldest streets in America settled by Europeans - there's almost always a breeze, even in July.
Best bet? Fly into Myrtle Beach, rent a car (that you can take 'out of state') spend night 1 in Murrells Inlet at the Inlet Sports Lodge, visit the Marshwalk for dinner, check out and visit Brookgreen Gardens on your way to Charleston, try the Mills House on Meeting Street or the Indigo Inn Night 2 - eat at 82 Queen, pick any plantation, Boone Hall in Mt. Pleasant or anything out Hwy 61 - then take 17 South to Hilton Head, stay at the Westin on the ocean night 3 - eat at the oceanfront seafood luau adjacent to the hotel on the ocean -then travel to Savannah, have a late lunch upon arrival at Mrs. Wilkes boarding house, check-in the Marriott along the River Walk night 4, great shops and bars and scenery. Drive to St. Simons Island, check into the King & Prince for night 5 - visit Mallory Street then Jekyll Island on the way to Amelia Island - check into the Ritz Carlton for night 6 - explore Centre Street, then on to St. Augustine for night 7 - see the fort, the Fountain of Youth and stroll through the oldest gates in America along the quaint shop row on a street laid out for carts not cars 400 years ago.
Return your car to the airport in Jacksonville, several direct flights to Kansas City.
You sound like a travel agent. I would be worn out before I got to the airport to fly back.

Funny that you mention modest rentals in Cherry Grove. When I was a lifeguard in MB in the early 80s, that was the only place we could afford to rent a small bungalow home. The only way we really made money was chair and umbrella rentals and selling tanning lotion, otherwise I would've been broke.

Rogue.. ahh, but what a summer job!!!! I'll bet you have some stories to tell.

We like Pawley's Island a lot. It's a couple towns south of Myrtle Beach, but much less commercial. And it's not so far from Charleston that you can't go there and make a day of that. It's close enough to Myrtle to drive up there for a dinner or shopping.

Pawley's has a much less crowded beach and has inlets and marshes behind the island if you like to kayak or fish. You can ride a bike around the island without fear of being run over.

Just my $.02.

You can't get more laid back than Edisto Beach. No traffic lights! No tacky t shirt shops! No putt putt course on every corner! It's like stepping back in time. A true Carolina beach town. No shopping in Edisto, but it's only a beautiful 1 hour drive to Charleston.

Kiawah/Seabrook islands are very nice as well, but might set you back a hefty sum. Both have beautiful uncrowded beaches. Freshfields Village, located at the traffic circle between Kiawah and Seabrook gated entrances, provides great shopping and dinning. They also have different events nightly like a farmers market, live music, outdoor moving showing. Both islands are about a 30 minute drive to downtown Charleston.
I'd stay away from the Myrtle Beach area in July. Big crowds and traffic nightmare. Myrtle is fun, but not a great representation of the Carolina coast. Unless you like looking down the beach and seeing miles upon miles of hotels, putt putt courses, air brushed t shirt shops, and traffic lights. I'm a Charleston native, and I'll admit we do sort of look down our noses at Myrtle Beach. It is a fun place though, and I've had fun every trip I've taken there.

There are nice areas around MB that most tourists dont see. If you spend a vacation in downtown MB that is what you get. But the surrounding areas are nice. All depends on what people want. Families with kids will enjoy the MB area more than a family who wants less excitement. Also not sure if you have been to Market Commons area in MB but that is an upgrade over Broadway at the Beach. We dont even go to Broadway anymore.

Fripp Island's your place. Tranquil private gated community with lower prices than many of the other suggestions. Multiple seafood shops within 5-10 miles of Fripp where you can purchase seafood right off the trawlers and cook at your condo while viewing amazing sunsets. Two very nice golf courses on the island with driving ranges at each. Although there are few restaurants on Fripp it's a nice 20 minute drive to Beaufort where there are many fine dining options or at Dataw Island there's a great restaurant named Sweetwater. Fripp does not boast many beaches at high tide but 5 minutes away is South Carolina's #1 State Park, Hunting Island which has the most intriguing and beautiful beach in all of South Carolina. Driving through the entry road to Hunting Island will remind you of Jurasic Park and you will find yourself expecting a dinosaur to cross the road. Hunting Island also has a light house which is open to the public and you can climb to the top for magnificent views of the coastline. Make sure you take your camera when visiting Hunting Island as you'll be amazed at the tropical feel of the beach. Shopping can be found at the quaint shops along Bay Street in Beaufort or in Blufton which is 30 minutes away. Also just outside of Hilton Head, 45 minutes away, is a Outlet Mall with many national chains. A plus to Fripp Island is the deep history in Beaufort, which can be visited by oneself or through tour groups. Beaufort was home to numerous movie sets including Prince of Tides, Forrest Gump, The Big Chill and many others. You can even take a guided tour of the movies made there. You can't go wrong with Fripp as you'll find it a little off the beaten path, yet be able to enjoy South Carolina history, fine fresh local fish and shrimp and the best public beach in South Carolina.

Fripp Island's your place. Tranquil private gated community with lower prices than many of the other suggestions. Multiple seafood shops within 5-10 miles of Fripp where you can purchase seafood right off the trawlers and cook at your condo while viewing amazing sunsets. Two very nice golf courses on the island with driving ranges at each. Although there are few restaurants on Fripp it's a nice 20 minute drive to Beaufort where there are many fine dining options or at Dataw Island there's a great restaurant named Sweetwater. Fripp does not boast many beaches at high tide but 5 minutes away is South Carolina's #1 State Park, Hunting Island which has the most intriguing and beautiful beach in all of South Carolina. Driving through the entry road to Hunting Island will remind you of Jurasic Park and you will find yourself expecting a dinosaur to cross the road. Hunting Island also has a light house which is open to the public and you can climb to the top for magnificent views of the coastline. Make sure you take your camera when visiting Hunting Island as you'll be amazed at the tropical feel of the beach. Shopping can be found at the quaint shops along Bay Street in Beaufort or in Blufton which is 30 minutes away. Also just outside of Hilton Head, 45 minutes away, is a Outlet Mall with many national chains. A plus to Fripp Island is the deep history in Beaufort, which can be visited by oneself or through tour groups. Beaufort was home to numerous movie sets including Prince of Tides, Forrest Gump, The Big Chill and many others. You can even take a guided tour of the movies made there. You can't go wrong with Fripp as you'll find it a little off the beaten path, yet be able to enjoy South Carolina history, fine fresh local fish and shrimp and the best public beach in South Carolina.

Ken Willis, is that you?
Sam Thurmond?
Dennis Robinson?
Dan Kingsbury?
David? Is that you, David?
Greg Smith? Is the store open?
One of you is guilty!
I know it ain't Davis Love ... his 'promo' deal is up, the course is built - life is good.

July. So probably peak travel time for most people. That's why I'm trying to find something a little off the map that won't be too crowded. I've heard really good things about Charleston though.

I hope you like 100 degree weather. All of the suggestions I have read are good, I will throw in Beaufort and Port Royal but not a lot of shopping that I have seen. Hilton Head is a great place to be located for travel between Beaufort and Charleston. Close enough drive for shopping or dinning but it is laid back and quite

I remember that. They are fishing in the inlet/marsh and that looks like a bull shark. It's amazing how powerful they are and how it hit that fish. As a surfer I know they are around all the time but that video is crazy.

Yes, I've definitely swam in many inlets around those parts. Bull sharks are mean as hell, too.

I think Hilton Head would be great location to stay. Beach it at HH. Head north 2 hours to Charleston for restaurants and site seeing. Savannah is 45 minutes south of HH.

Husker fan living in Kansas City, Looking at doing an anniversary trip with the wife and she wants to do somewhere with a beach, but not too crowded with good food/shopping. Hopefully this place exists, haha. Any ideas would be extremely appreciated. Thanks!
Assuming you are staying several days, and taking in consideration her suggestions for an anniversary trip and that you are from an urban mid west city
I would recommend Lytchfield Beach. Although in proximity of Pawleys Island, it is more modern and upscale compared to the laid back rustic old school charm that the locals remember from their youth. It is also directly adjacent to Brookgreen Gardens and Huntington State Park Beach, both romantic must see sites. Being that close helps as the heat will be brutal. Visit Brookgreen early in the morning to beat the heat. Visit Huntington late or early, a very good ocean breeze on undeveloped beachfront. Nearby Murrels Inlet for great restaurants. No great shopping nearby, however, outstanding shopping at the Myrtle Beach outlet stores to the north and outstanding shopping in Charleston to the south. MB just under an hour drive on the bypass, Charleston just a little bit longer. Excellent non-chain restaurants in both areas, but Charleston is world renowned. Any good shopping area on the coast will be very crowded. This is why I, and others, recommend the relatively low traffic of Lytchfield/Pawleys Island area. Just make day trips for shopping and fine dining. Also, as mentioned above, some great places to tour outside of downtown Charleston. Remember to avoid the heat in the middle of the day.

Stay in GT and drive to PI Great food and things to do. Like I said my opinion Get to PI early parking is a beast but you have tons of beach and creek for kids. My favorite.

I think Hilton Head would be great location to stay. Beach it at HH. Head north 2 hours to Charleston for restaurants and site seeing. Savannah is 45 minutes south of HH.

Completely Agree. The Lowcountry area as a whole has about everything you would ever want and HHI is a good point position. On your way to Charleston, stop in historic Beaufort for lunch. On your way to Savannah, stop in Bluffton or Palmetto Bluff (fantastic).

If you don't recommend IOP as the best vacation place in SC then you have never been to IOP

Myrtle Beach

articleseason3.jpg

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT