ADVERTISEMENT

Billy Donovan

Billy D advised his pal Anthony Grant not to take our job years ago. We’d be crazy not to go after him. But the odds Donovan would actually come here are slim to none. He’ll end up somewhere...Wouldn’t shock me to see him return to Providence or Florida after a year or two off.

We need a slightly sleazy men's basketball coach that can "handle" recruiting. Bruce Pearl turned Auburn around in 2-3 years and Frank is on year 9 now?

We have a coach and he left OKC amicably so they can start a rebuild, he will be hired as the Bulls or Sixers coach most likely.

1. We have a good coach with Frank and would be dumb to blow it up
2. Donovan will command big money which we cannot afford
3. He is about to slide to a different NBA job like 76ers or Pelicans

This concludes this episode of Captain Buzzkill

1. tend to agree but if you can upgrade from good to great you should try.
2. You’re probably right but we have invested good money in Frank.
3. Not sure about this. A lot of times when things don’t work out in the pros, coaches go back to the college ranks. Depending on the job, the college job may be better than the pro job. In fact, most pro coaches won’t make it more than 5 years.

eddie was lazy recruiter. Donovan was the opposite.

I don’t know if this is fair to Eddie. He was certainly burned out at the end and clashed with Mike McGee. But he did bring in McKie, Watson, Davis, etc....there was some pretty good talent coming through during his time. In fact, that was likely the most talent I saw on the court in my lifetime until the final 4 run.

Also the spat with Donovan was over him getting in bed with the AAU crew and I don’t think that was inaccurate.

Last edited:
I’m a Frank fan but if we really want to boost the basketball program this is the type of guy you go after. He will be a solid hire for someone. Still has some years left and has scratched his NBA itch.

He’s not leaving the NBA.

He’s not leaving the NBA.

We shall see. It’s possible but the NBA grind wears on a lot of people. It’s not easy being away from the family as much as they are in pro sports. The money is nice but the money isn’t everything. Countless guys have done it once and never returned. Not to mention only a handful of coaches really have power. For the most part the players run the NBA. Coaches have the power in college.

Frank a good coach? What the heck you talking about. 🤦🏾‍♂️
tenor.gif

We shall see. It’s possible but the NBA grind wears on a lot of people. It’s not easy being away from the family as much as they are in pro sports. The money is nice but the money isn’t everything. Countless guys have done it once and never returned.
He’s the top candidate for the Sixers, Pacers, Bulls and Pelicans. No one is expecting him to coach college ball next season.

Reactions: Brace1
Billy D advised his pal Anthony Grant not to take our job years ago. We’d be crazy not to go after him. But the odds Donovan would actually come here are slim to none. He’ll end up somewhere...Wouldn’t shock me to see him return to Providence or Florida after a year or two off.
We got a coach.

Would be a HUGE upgrade, but he is staying in the NBA or going to a top program if he gets back into coaching college.

Reactions: Brace1
I don’t know if this is fair to Eddie. He was certainly burned out at the end and clashed with Mike McGee. But he did bring in McKie, Watson, Davis, etc....there was some pretty good talent coming through during his time. In fact, that was likely the most talent I saw on the court in my lifetime until the final 4 run.

Also the spat with Donovan was over him getting in bed with the AAU crew and I don’t think that was inaccurate

I had the opportunity to coach Eddies son in baseball. Rec league level but still had the chance to talk with him candidly some.
He loved coaching but not all the crap and politics that came along with it. The gamecock club appearances, the bs from the administration, and parents. Yes, even the parents at the college level.
I think if he could have just coached and nothing else, he would still be in it today.

I had the opportunity to coach Eddies son in baseball. Rec league level but still had the chance to talk with him candidly some.
He loved coaching but not all the crap and politics that came along with it. The gamecock club appearances, the bs from the administration, and parents. Yes, even the parents at the college level.
I think if he could have just coached and nothing else, he would still be in it today.

I agree. I like Fogler. He was a no nonsense guy. Think about the fact that he coached under Dean Smith and with Roy. Was probably as good if not better Xs and Os coach that Roy. Eddie just got tired of the BS at a time where head basketball coaches had to deal with significantly more of it than just a decade prior. I agree with everything you said. I’d probably rank them:
1. AAU impact/influence
2. Parents
3. Mike McGee
4. Gamecock Club—he didn’t like it but I think he knew it came with the job. But the other things above were a daily problem.

Reactions: SCexpat38
I agree. I like Fogler. He was a no nonsense guy. Think about the fact that he coached under Dean Smith and with Roy. Was probably as good if not better Xs and Os coach that Roy. Eddie just got tired of the BS at a time where head basketball coaches had to deal with significantly more of it than just a decade prior. I agree with everything you said. I’d probably rank them:
1. AAU impact/influence
2. Parents
3. Mike McGee
4. Gamecock Club—he didn’t like it but I think he knew it came with the job. But the other things above were a daily problem.

I had forgotten the AAU thing. That was another thing he had mentioned.
I think his displeasure of all that was clearly evident with the infamous teleprompter incident. That was a classic.

Also the spat with Donovan was over him getting in bed with the AAU crew and I don’t think that was inaccurate.
And we got bounded by Coppin St and Richmond. Eddie set the bar low for himself and always said we shouldn’t expect ACC School results

And we got bounded by Coppin St and Richmond. Eddie set the bar low for himself and always said we shouldn’t expect ACC School results

Well sounds like he spoke the truth and it bothered some people. I’d say it depends on the school but no one is going to confuse us with the other Carolina in basketball anytime soon.

Eddie certainly deserves some of the blame for the NCAA tournament failures but he was able to get Vandy to the Sweet 16. When you lose to a Coppin State, everyone shoulders blame...players included. That team had already shown a tendency to play down to the level of competition by losing to N.C. Asheville and Charleston Southern earlier in the season. No denying that was a choke job though.

Now Richmond had a pretty good coach that year and if you look back the Spiders have a history of knocking off some pretty good teams in the NCAA tournament.

And while the Carolina Coliseum holds a warm place in our hearts it’s not exactly like he was recruiting kids to a top notch college facility. When you watch highlights from that time period it looked like we were playing in the dark. Lighting sucked, facility was old and outdated....yet people can’t understand why we couldn’t out recruit Duke, North Carolina and others.

Reactions: funktavious
To be good in men's college basketball, your head coach needs to check his morals at the front desk. Frank is a real good guy and one that turns his players into men. If they handed out championships for that, we'd be in great shape.

Frank a good coach? What the heck you talking about. 🤦🏾‍♂️
tenor.gif
He's a good coach, just not a great recruiter and to be fair, we're a hard sell sitting in the middle of ACC country. When is the last time we had a coach that consistently brought in top-notch talent? Frank McGuire? and that was before my time.

Reactions: Gamecockben1979
He's a good coach, just not a great recruiter and to be fair, we're a hard sell sitting in the middle of ACC country. When is the last time we had a coach that consistently brought in top-notch talent? Frank McGuire? and that was before my time.

Some just don’t want to hear that and they’ll label you for settling without facing the reality which is South Carolina basketball has been a tough sell since about 1980

Right, he is a good coach. In order to turn around the situation here we need better than good. We just haven't been able to hit on the right coach. I know a lot of people like Frank, however, it shoudn't take nine years to build a program. I think what we have in Frank is a guy that can coach on a high level when he gets the right group of guys. However, his coaching style may never allow getting the right guys enough for any sustained success. I have been of the opinion that we should go the Dawn Staley route with our men's program for years. What I mean by that is to attract a former Point Guard that played on a high level in the professional ranks. I am hopeful for this year's team, but if we don't get in the tournament this year, we are just ramming our heads into a wall expecting it to magically fall through.

Why not???? I'll take him over Frank going on history for both coaches...

But, Tanner would screw it up big time!!!

Why not???? I'll take him over Frank going on history for both coaches...

But, Tanner would screw it up big time!!!

Yeah.... maybe we should bring Hyman back so he can hire Darrin Horn back. He was truly a savant.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT