ADVERTISEMENT

Billy Napier

chucktowncock

Nov 14, 2001
IS NAPIER A FIT AT SOUTH CAROLINA?

Napier has interest in the South Carolina job, sources told The State. And Bowden believes he would do a solid job in Columbia.

“He’s got an impressive resume in the fact that he got hired by me at a very young age. And then being around Dabo, being around Nick Saban, what he did at Arizona State with Todd Graham, he’s got the experience,” Bowden said. “He’s got enough head-coaching pedigree in his background with his dad and guys he’s been around, successful guys. He’s run his own program.”

Napier is described as a guy who pays attention to every detail of a program and who has a plan for every situation.

From the support staff to the recruiting graphics to the nutrition plan — every detail matters.

https://www.charlotteobserver.com/sports/college/article247421165.html#storylink=cpy

If the smoke around Beamer has, indeed, turned to fire, then it's sad that things like this are completely moot.🙄

Reactions: ryanwallace13
He’s been one of my too choices but it’s not looking like it’s going to be him unfortunately.

Napier has interest in the South Carolina job, sources told The State. And Bowden believes he would do a solid job in Columbia.

“He’s got an impressive resume in the fact that he got hired by me at a very young age. And then being around Dabo, being around Nick Saban, what he did at Arizona State with Todd Graham, he’s got the experience,” Bowden said. “He’s got enough head-coaching pedigree in his background with his dad and guys he’s been around, successful guys. He’s run his own program.”

Napier is described as a guy who pays attention to every detail of a program and who has a plan for every situation.

From the support staff to the recruiting graphics to the nutrition plan — every detail matters.

https://www.charlotteobserver.com/sports/college/article247421165.html#storylink=cpy

If he is as good as advertised then I say yes. The only question that needs to be answered is his leaving Clemson. Why did Dabo jettison him?

Reactions: vidaliagamecock
If he is as good as advertised then I say yes. The only question that needs to be answered is his leaving Clemson. Why did Dabo jettison him?
I have no idea how true it is, but several people have said it was basically a difference in offensive philosophy. Then there is the fact the Napier was the OC at CU when he was in his early 30s. It seems reasonable to assume he has learned more since then and has adapted his philosophy.

Why does that matter? Ray hired Will after being fired at UF.

There was a difference in offensive philosophy. That was a long time ago, my guess is that both have changed.

He has the most experience of anyone we will be likely to get! He can recruit at least as good as Beamer,
and I believe he can put together a staff that can compete in the SEC.
Beamer may be good after a while, but he’s never been subjected to losses as a HC. We CANNOT afford
another “work in progress”. TOO much unknown on the line! Beamer’s 1st HC job does not need to be in the SEC!!!!!!!!!

Reactions: Legendary Cock
Napier wanted to run a Bama style pound the RB and play action pass game. Dabo wanted a fast pace rpo type offense. Clemson went 6-7, Dabo relieved Napier and hired Chad Morriss.

Reactions: SOSUSC
I’m leaning towards Napier. He was young enough at Clemson to look past that issue....especially if it was a difference in philosophy. Also, keep in mind that Dabo was unproven at that point, lost two in a row to South Carolina for the first time since the 70’s. Dabo had to fire someone.

With that said, if Napier has a chip on his shoulder against Dabo that would be a good thing. Good recruiter, coached under very successful programs, successful as a young head coach at Louisiana.......this one seems easy to me. If you can’t get Meyer/Stoops/Petersen, bring in Napier.

I have no idea how true it is, but several people have said it was basically a difference in offensive philosophy. Then there is the fact the Napier was the OC at CU when he was in his early 30s. It seems reasonable to assume he has learned more since then and has adapted his philosophy.
Dabo would change up to 25 plays a game that Napier would
Call

Why does that matter? Ray hired Will after being fired at UF.

There was a difference in offensive philosophy. That was a long time ago, my guess is that both have changed.
Napier has been my choice since the start, but the fact he was hired by the coach of our rival certainly does matter. It is just more that they could use against us if he were our coach.

I am surprised this is not the way we are going TBH, and while I personally like the idea of hiring Beamer too/ assuming he is the hire?- I wonder if we will ever hear more about why Tanner and Caslen did not select Napier.

Napier has been my choice since the start, but the fact he was hired by the coach of our rival certainly does matter. It is just more that they could use against us if he were our coach.

I am surprised this is not the way we are going TBH, and while I personally like the idea of hiring Beamer too/ assuming he is the hire?- I wonder if we will ever hear more about why Tanner and Caslen did not select Napier.

Bowden hired Brad Scott, there have been several coaches that have been at both places over the years, i think.

Bowden hired Brad Scott, there have been several coaches that have been at both places over the years, i think.
Oh for sure- my point is our HC at the time couldn’t walk in a recruit’s house and say “oh yeah the head coach of clemson? I know him- he was so bad I had to fire him a few years ago...”. That is exactly what Dabo could say about Napier if we hired him... That is literally the only negative I could see in that hire and it was more of an after thought honestly. I mean... Who thinks we can stand up to clemson at all on the recruiting trail with or without that?

ADVERTISEMENT