ADVERTISEMENT

Bishop Sycamore

Bud Wiser

Aug 14, 2021

Crazy story. Got ESPN to televise a game Nationally and it’s basically a charter school that doesn’t exist. Team is made up of ineligible JUCO dropouts…ESPN took the game, and then said during the 2nd quarter that they could not verify Bishop Sycamore’s claim that they have a number of D-1 prospects on their roster. This show how irresponsible ESPN is…there is literally nothing about this school that was apparently based in Columbus, Ohio. The address for the school is a condo. The website for the football team isn’t developed. They have no history. Incredible.

This is a crazy story. The coach didnt want a running clock in the 2nd half....lol

• Haha
Reactions: Brace1
1 thing that isnt talked about much. Why and how did IMG schedule the game? If it doesnt exists? Lol
Which is why ESPN televised it to start. For all intents it was two JUCO programs just with one that recruits nationwide.

1 thing that isnt talked about much. Why and how did IMG schedule the game? If it doesnt exists? Lol
DeMatha also. I did notice that Moeller, Massilon, St. Xavier, Benedictine, Chaminade among many other Ohio Catholic high schools weren't scheduled....that should have told them something.

Last edited:
This just goes to show you how much of a sewer high school athletics has become.

Also according to max preps this team was 0-6 last year and lost to IMG (the team they played on ESPN) 56-6 last season. This took 10 seconds of research.

I’m not a big massacre the media guy, but this is part of the reason it can’t be trusted. ESPN aired this game without the slightest bit of due diligence. Someone at ESPN should be fired over this.

I watched some video this morning of the game on YouTube.they got demolished.

This just goes to show you how much of a sewer high school athletics has become.

Also according to max preps this team was 0-6 last year and lost to IMG (the team they played on ESPN) 56-6 last season. This took 10 seconds of research.

I’m not a big massacre the media guy, but this is part of the reason it can’t be trusted. ESPN aired this game without the slightest bit of due diligence. Someone at ESPN should be fired over this.
It's not like a simple phone call to Ryan Day wouldn't give them an answer. That guy scours the Catholic HS league.

Last edited:
Reactions: Gamecockben1979

reading more into this from other publications, espn actually hires a company that sets up these games. It sounds like maybe espn trusted the marketing company little more than they should have

reading more into this from other publications, espn actually hires a company that sets up these games. It sounds like maybe espn trusted the marketing company little more than they should have
I definitely agree that ESPN put way too much into the “marketing company” that is probably even more shady than Bishop Sycamore….if that’s possible.

My problem with that is if you’re ESPN and you’re supposed to be the “sports authority” how do you air a game like this without doing some basic due diligence.

It's not like a simple phone call to Ryan Day wouldn't give them an answer. That guy scours the Catholic HS league.
Or a simple google of just one of the supposed D-1 prospects. Did they seriously show up with no idea which prospect they would tout?

Reactions: rogue cock
To be fair to ESPN - is it their job to vouch for the veracity of the credentials of any high school that plays on their network? This is IMG's issue. This is the second straight year they've played them. Why would ESPN question IMG's scheduling? It's not their job to schedule IMG's games.

Chances are IMG just didn't want anyone looking into them as a sham school in itself. So they never raised the alarm on whatever "high school" this was.

To be fair to ESPN - is it their job to vouch for the veracity of the credentials of any high school that plays on their network? This is IMG's issue. This is the second straight year they've played them. Why would ESPN question IMG's scheduling? It's not their job to schedule IMG's games.

Chances are IMG just didn't want anyone looking into them as a sham school in itself. So they never raised the alarm on whatever "high school" this was.
yeah, but IMG didn’t nationally televise it. I can’t imagine paying money to nationally broadcast a game without actually doing some sort of research on each team. The draw was clearly that IMG was going to be matched up with a team with a bunch of D-1 prospects. How did nobody actually research, just out of curiosity, who those prospects were.

Everyone knows what IMG is. They aren’t eligible to win a state title. But how can a network like ESPN not know who they are covering? It’s as if they showed up for work on Sunday, realized in the 2nd quarter how bad they were, and started researching only to find out they’d been lied to.

Crazy story. Got ESPN to televise a game Nationally and it’s basically a charter school that doesn’t exist. Team is made up of ineligible JUCO dropouts…ESPN took the game, and then said during the 2nd quarter that they could not verify Bishop Sycamore’s claim that they have a number of D-1 prospects on their roster. This show how irresponsible ESPN is…there is literally nothing about this school that was apparently based in Columbus, Ohio. The address for the school is a condo. The website for the football team isn’t developed. They have no history. Incredible.
Cool name, though.

Bishop Sycamore played a game Friday night too and turned around and played IMG on Sunday. That wasn’t good at all, some guys could’ve been seriously injured.

Reactions: DarkCock
Duncanville High School here in DFW was scheduled to play them this week. They cancelled today. How are all these schools getting them scheduled?

With private high schools/prep school how could anyone ever know without doing a full on private investigation? Private high schools don’t need any sort of accreditation in most states. You can just start it up, and if you meet the minimum requirements of a school (the minimum days of teaching and minimum core education) - then you’ve got yourself a school.

But even then, unless you have a whistle blower in the crowd, no one is going to ever know what a private school is teaching, or if they even meet. No one is watching.

I would say if NBC put 50 shades of gray on TV on Saturday morning because a promoter said it was a great kids movie then NBC would be at fault for airing something on their network without doing due diligence.

ESPN aired a game that was a 50 point blow out last year between these two teams. One of those teams is clearly a sham school with no prospects. They screwed up. They should apologize for not doing their job. There were 800,000 schools that should have been on TV before that one.

With private high schools/prep school how could anyone ever know without doing a full on private investigation? Private high schools don’t need any sort of accreditation in most states. You can just start it up, and if you meet the minimum requirements of a school (the minimum days of teaching and minimum core education) - then you’ve got yourself a school.

But even then, unless you have a whistle blower in the crowd, no one is going to ever know what a private school is teaching, or if they even meet. No one is watching.
Ohio is a bit different...Catholic schools in Ohio have to be chartered by the state (an Ohio Catholic School Association rule, not a state one) and have to be accredited by the Ohio Catholic School Association.

how about the travel turnaround time....not just the fact they played Friday and then sunday. But if they played friday in Ohio and were on a bus all day saturday to IMG just to play on sunday. Thats even crazier to think about. Whats that about a 15-17 hour drive with stops.

Idk if it's been asked and answered here, but what did this school have to gain by getting blown out on national TV?

All publicity is good publicity. These coaches are con artists (and pretty good ones at that), they could easily spin this into a positive.

“We aren’t IMG Academy. YET! But we are on tv, which 99.9% of high schools aren’t.”

Last edited:
how about the travel turnaround time....not just the fact they played Friday and then sunday. But if they played friday in Ohio and were on a bus all day saturday to IMG just to play on sunday. Thats even crazier to think about. Whats that about a 15-17 hour drive with stops.
The game was played in Canton from my understanding so they did not go to IMG

All publicity is good publicity. These coaches are con artists (and pretty good ones at that), they could easily spin this into a positive.

“We aren’t IMG Academy. YET! But we are on tv, which 99.9% of high schools aren’t.”
I can see that. But with all the supposedly ineligible players participating, the fallout along with a 2 day turnaround from their last game, they could be facing some serious consequences now.

I can see that. But with all the supposedly ineligible players participating, the fallout along with a 2 day turnaround from their last game, they could be facing some serious consequences now.
Has it even been determined whether it is an actual school or not. They definitely aren't registered with the Ohio Carholic School Association.

Reactions: Legendary Cock
Oh, they’re screwed. I guess they just thought no one would check their background because no one had until now.
Kinda hard to believe that in a state like Ohio with a ton of Catholic schools that they thought no one would check them out....especially when they play on national TV.

EDIT: Seems the same group of people involved in Bishop Sycamore have done this before.

Last edited:
The whole high school football and basketball scene is a bit perverted. These kids think they are all going to make it big. They're disillusioned by ESPN and Last Chance U, and more importantly, by adults looking for a quick buck.

Still, with only 2 days in between games, that's clearly not looking out for your players' health and well-being.
Oh I agree but the idea these guys got on a bus and went from Ohio to Florida in between is not accurate. There’s certainly plenty of scrutiny to go around though

They apparently also wrote "invalid checks" to the hotel where they were staying. So yeah, these guys are shady as hell.

Reactions: Brace1
The whole high school football and basketball scene is a bit perverted. These kids think they are all going to make it big. They're disillusioned by ESPN and Last Chance U, and more importantly, by adults looking for a quick buck.
100%. I think a lot of it started out trying to make high school players feel big time for fun. Not talking about ESPN necessarily, but just some of the stuff High School programs started doing. I work a lot with High School Athletes, some football players. And yes, they all think they are big time…even the guys that don’t play. It’s just an image they attempt to project that becomes who they end up being. The irony is that the really good prospects in sports I’ve been around are typically the ones you wouldn’t expect to be big time prospects. Not always the case, but probably 8 of 10.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT