ADVERTISEMENT

Bob Stoops

Aug 5, 2006
It's very apparent that the only model that works for us is the legendary head coach. Our only real periods of success in the modern era were Spurrier and Holtz. South Carolina on its own is not a big enough draw to recruit to a level than can move the needle in the SEC. He's 60, and the best available guy that fits that criteria (Urban is done coaching). We need to get the HBC to give his old buddy "Stoopsy" a call, so we can start working out a deal right now.

Let’s be done with the ‘already done it’ list of coaches. Go ahead and just pick a random young coach. I dare ya...talking to Ray.

Reactions: bucketdad
Yes, because young coaches have worked out so well here before. Brad Scott, Sparky Woods ....
Well, that's two examples. Is that a large enough sample size to conclude the model won't work?

And I wouldn't call Brad Scott a "young up-and-comer," considering he had never coached a game as a head coach. I don't think SEC programs should take a chance on a coordinator. A coach needs to have proven that he can win as the leader of a program. But even that's no guarantee.

Having said that, I'm not against the idea of hiring an older, proven head coach, but I don't see any reason to think a young guy with an innovative style can't win here.

Send Duce Staley a link to the university to enroll in fall classes.. Once he logs in send him a diploma, then hire him as coach same day. Most degrees anymore are from online diploma mills anyway.

My idea would be to hire a proven CEO of a major company and hire great coordinators. Leave the coaching to the coaches. You need vision and a path on how to get there more than you need an X’s and O’s head coach.

My idea would be to hire a proven CEO of a major company and hire great coordinators. Leave the coaching to the coaches. You need vision and a path on how to get there more than you need an X’s and O’s head coach.
Wait, this sounds vaguely familiar. Where have I heard of this before?

Let’s be done with the ‘already done it’ list of coaches. Go ahead and just pick a random young coach. I dare ya...talking to Ray.
Yep- Sparky Woods/ Brad Scott > Spurrier and Holtz, no doubt about it!

😃

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT