ADVERTISEMENT

Bobby Bentley’s HPO. High Powered Offense

Name the players that we're recruited by Bentley?
He used the what at the time was a little known law that all you had to do was own property in the district to be able to attend school in that district. Could probably find out the names, but still wouldn't list them.....school privacy issues and all. But it was well known in the area what he was doing.

I used the law also. Had clients who had moved to the Hardeeville area, but wanted their children to finish school on HHI. So they bought a funeral plot in Sea Pines cemetery and their children could attend.

They changed the rules at about the time Bentley left Byrnes.

Bentley didn't recruit, there were a few players that transferred in, but Byrnes never went out recruiting them. They didn't have to when over 250 players, came out to play every year!
See my response below. He knew how to game the system....and used it to his advantage.

Reactions: Jpcooper
I know you didn't say that Gutshall and Miller was more dominant then Bentley! :):eek::D I can list scores here and embarrass you for telling that lie! Byrnes had to go out of state to get games, because no one would play them outside of conference. Greer ended their series with Byrnes because of Bentley. John McKissick Wouldn't schedule Summerville against Byrnes because of Bentley! He said that to USA Today bro, so come real with facts or don't come at all! Your bias against Bentley is personal, and that's straight up!

Yep, Rogue would post the most insignificant minutiae to support Roper, because that was all there was.......but when it comes to Bentley then Rogue dismisses out of hand a page full of accomplishments. It doesn't make sense factually, so that only leaves a personal bias.

He used the what at the time was a little known law that all you had to do was own property in the district to be able to attend school in that district. Could probably find out the names, but still wouldn't list them.....school privacy issues and all. But it was well known in the area what he was doing.

I used the law also. Had clients who had moved to the Hardeeville area, but wanted their children to finish school on HHI. So they bought a funeral plot in Sea Pines cemetery and their children could attend.

Byrnes is the only High School in District 5 so please stop it! My Son Graduated Byrnes in 2008 and my oldest daughter 2010 and my youngest 2016.

Yep, Rogue would post the most insignificant minutiae to support Roper, because that was all there was.......but when it comes to Bentley then Rogue dismisses out of hand a page full of accomplishments. It doesn't make sense factually, so that only leaves a personal bias.
Regarding Bentley....just ask around. Period.

SC top HS coaches: http://www.scfootballhistory.com/Coach/CoachWins.aspx

Last edited:
L.....O......L at some of you for using "recruiting" as some kind of negative against Bentley. How naive are you guys? Even if true about Bentley, and it probably was to some extent, this happens all over the country at big time high school programs. It's a massive problem in Texas (where Chad Morris made his mark at the high school level).

Bentley didn't recruit, there were a few players that transferred in, but Byrnes never went out recruiting them. They didn't have to when over 250 players, came out to play every year!
Didn’t he “bring” in Willy Korn from Kentucky?

L.....O......L at some of you for using "recruiting" as some kind of negative against Bentley. How naive are you guys? Even if true about Bentley, and it probably was to some extent, this happens all over the country at big time high school programs. It's a massive problem in Texas (where Chad Morris made his mark at the high school level).
I'm sure there are others doing it. Look, I never said he did anything illegal or unethical...just that he used the rules as they existed to his advantage. He also used the fact that Byrnes is the only HS in District 5 to his advantage by getting all the feeder programs to run his system so that when the players entered HS, they already knew the system, the plays and the terminology. I give him kudo's for that...it was brilliant. It gives him a huge advantage, but not every HS can do that. Those advantages that admittedly came up with causes me to question his overall record. And it may partially explain his reputation among his HS contemporaries.

I know you didn't say that Gutshall and Miller was more dominant then Bentley! :):eek::D I can list scores here and embarrass you for telling that lie! Byrnes had to go out of state to get games, because no one would play them outside of conference. Greer ended their series with Byrnes because of Bentley. John McKissick Wouldn't schedule Summerville against Byrnes because of Bentley! He said that to USA Today bro, so come real with facts or don't come at all! Your bias against Bentley is personal, and that's straight up!

that's great... just keep him away from the OC job at SC

Didn’t he “bring” in Willy Korn from Kentucky?
Willy Korn is from Ohio, his family moved to Lyman when he was in Elementary school! He used to go to Clemson games, as a kid and he loved them, and said he would not play anywhere else. Nobody ever said Byrnes recruited until 2007when (Xavier Dye) a big time receiver transferred in from Greenwood High. He said he had an uncle that moved to District 5 and he wanted to live with him. That thing blew up because Greenwoods coach Shell Dula was pissed off! Greenwood fans claimed that Byrnes recruited him, and so everybody that had been getting rolled by Byrnes joined in, because they wanted an excuse of why the Rebel was whipping them every year. Dye had to sit out most of that season anyway, so he didn't make much of a difference. Byrnes had a few good receivers.

that's great... just keep him away from the OC job at SC
I don't believe he will get the Job and that's ok. He will do it somewhere else, and we will look back on it, with regret. I have no problem with us getting someone else, that can do the Job.

Willy Korn is from Ohio, his family moved to Lyman when he was in Elementary school! He used to go to Clemson games, as a kid and he loved them, and said he would not play anywhere else. Nobody ever said Byrnes recruited until 2007when (Xavier Dye) a big time receiver transferred in from Greenwood High. He said he had an uncle that moved to District 5 and he wanted to live with him. That thing blew up because Greenwoods coach Shell Dula was pissed off! Greenwood fans claimed that Byrnes recruited him, and so everybody that had been getting rolled by Byrnes joined in, because they wanted an excuse of why the Rebel was whipping them every year. Dye had to sit out most of that season anyway, so he didn't make much of a difference. Byrnes had a few good receivers.
Ok. I’m originally from the Upstate and remember somebody saying something along those lines about Korn but didn’t know the whole scoop.

Ok. I’m originally from the Upstate and remember somebody saying something along those lines about Korn but didn’t know the whole scoop.
I live in Greer South Carolina. 7 minutes away from Byrnes high school, and I knew Willy Korn when he was coming up, in the lil Rebel football program, he was a legend in that league, the Same as Marcus Lattimore, Chas Dodd, Nick Jones, Jake Bentley, Prince Miller Everett Dawkins, and many others. Korn is Originally from Ohio.. they might have lived in Kentucky at some point, but I know his family moved to Lyman SC when he was in Elementary school!

Last edited:
Reactions: lowcountry_cock13
If ya'll want to know about Bentleys ability to win football games, ask Marcus Lattimore
If Marcus was honest he would tell you Bobby cost Byrnes a state championship against Dorman because he had his stepson Chas Dodd throw the ball at the end of the game instead of continuing giving it to Lattimore who wa sgetting about 7 yards a clip. The whole stadium was screaming “run 21” but he chose to pass, ball was picked and the rest is history. Similar situation at Gaffney several years later with Shuler at QB.
I saw these games firsthand and anyone will confirm this if they were there.

Bobby left for PC and Tony Cillespie rose Lattimore the next year for almost 600 yards in the upper state and state games combined. And a state championship!

If Marcus was honest he would tell you Bobby cost Byrnes a state championship against Dorman because he had his stepson Chas Dodd throw the ball at the end of the game instead of continuing giving it to Lattimore who wa sgetting about 7 yards a clip. The whole stadium was screaming “run 21” but he chose to pass, ball was picked and the rest is history. Similar situation at Gaffney several years later with Shuler at QB.
I saw these games firsthand and anyone will confirm this if they were there.

Bobby left for PC and Tony Cillespie rose Lattimore the next year for almost 600 yards in the upper state and state games combined. And a state championship!
I know about both of those games, and yes Bentley did screw Byrnes, out of another state title by having Chase, put the ball in the air when their was no need to. That game happened, in Lattimore's senior year (2009) state title game. He repeated that garbage in 2013 by having his son, Shuler "throw the ball to pad his stats in the playoffs. He did it with Korn on a couple occasions also! I was very upset when Bentley done that, but we all make mistakes, and hopefully he learned from that, but anyway it still doesn't take away from him being an Execellent playcaller.

I know about both of those games, and yes Bentley did screw Byrnes, out of another state title by having Chase, put the ball in the air when their was no need to. That game happened, in Lattimore's senior year (2009) state title game. He repeated that garbage in 2013 by having his son, Shuler "throw the ball to pad his stats in the playoffs. He did it with Korn on a couple occasions also! I was very upset when Bentley done that, but we all make mistakes, and hopefully he learned from that, but anyway it still doesn't take away from him being an Execellent playcaller.

muschamp needs to keep him far away from any play calling

I don't really have a dog in the fight, but being from the upstate knowing many people who have interacted with Bentley on some level, I don't think any dislike by others has to do with coaching. He's got an ego, and is a little cocky from what I hear. Big deal, many successful people have big egos. So maybe you don't like him b/c of that kind of stuff. Not judging b/c I'm cocky too, but I don't like cocky people:) I do like our mascot Cocky.

So there's probably an element of coaches that don't like him b/c he beat them, and there's an element that thinks he's cocky. Then there's the group that thinks he's great. The truth is somewhere in there:) Hell, Spurrier might be considered cocky as well. I hated him at UF, but mainly because he was beating our arse and he was cocky. Loved him at SC the minute we hired him. Funny how that works in life.

Reactions: Jpcooper and 92Pony
I don't really have a dog in the fight, but being from the upstate knowing many people who have interacted with Bentley on some level, I don't think any dislike by others has to do with coaching. He's got an ego, and is a little cocky from what I hear. Big deal, many successful people have big egos. So maybe you don't like him b/c of that kind of stuff. Not judging b/c I'm cocky too, but I don't like cocky people:) I do like our mascot Cocky.

So there's probably an element of coaches that don't like him b/c he beat them, and there's an element that thinks he's cocky. Then there's the group that thinks he's great. The truth is somewhere in there:) Hell, Spurrier might be considered cocky as well. I hated him at UF, but mainly because he was beating our arse and he was cocky. Loved him at SC the minute we hired him. Funny how that works in life.

when bentley wins a national championship, then he can coach sc and call the plays

when bentley wins a national championship, then he can coach sc and call the plays
We have had national championship coaches call the plays here at South Carolina. When they were past their 'PRIME' so it wouldn't shock me if that's "exactly" what happens! :confused:

I think he’s a great playcaller and would do well for us. Just don’t think it will happen.

Reactions: Rooster101
I'm sure there are others doing it. Look, I never said he did anything illegal or unethical...just that he used the rules as they existed to his advantage. He also used the fact that Byrnes is the only HS in District 5 to his advantage by getting all the feeder programs to run his system so that when the players entered HS, they already knew the system, the plays and the terminology. I give him kudo's for that...it was brilliant. It gives him a huge advantage, but not every HS can do that. Those advantages that admittedly came up with causes me to question his overall record. And it may partially explain his reputation among his HS contemporaries.
That is exactly the same thing McKissick did. He quit winning when dorchester county built another high schools. They had kids changing schools every two years to keep that one high school

Name the players that we're recruited by Bentley?
Ricco Sanders is one. Bobby started pulling player's out of Little Africa. Since he left Byrnes the kids in Little Africa are going to Boiling Springs and Chapman. That's why Boiling Springs played for the 5A state Championship last year. Chapman has played for the 3A the last 2 years wining 1.

Last edited:
Well, in truth BS got to state last year because of the QB they had that transferred over there from Byrnes.

As far as Bentley, he would do fine as the OC. True that some folks don't like him. Mostly because a lot of those were jealous of the Byrnes program and were on the bad end of some of the butt whippings he was handing out. I'm also amused that some throw a little shade his way by refering to him as a "high school coach". Like the guys that have only been in college have this inbred genius that no other coaches have. Far from the truth. Seen quite a few HS coaches that are twice the coaches some guys are in college that make millions. In most cases it is a matter of who you know as far as getting a college coaching job. Most all know the X's and O's. It ain't brain surgery.

If he cant coach his son how to throw a football at the college level how can he coach someone elses son how to play offensive football successfully?

Reactions: joebuckusc
There are far too many good OC's out there for the taking than to promote someone from the current staff. I like that I'm hearing that Muschamp is reaching out to a lot of these big timers, maybe he finally gets it that this is his last rodeo if he doesn't get serious about offense. We also need a good OC that can recruit QB's and stack em deep like cordwood.

If he cant coach his son how to throw a football at the college level how can he coach someone elses son how to play offensive football successfully?
Jake can throw pretty good at this level! Maybe the QB Coach he's had the last two years, have screwed him up. When he started last year he threw the ball around a lot better. His son Chas was a good QB at Rutgers and His Son Shular done well at Old Dominion and Murray State. Trey Elder helped lead App State to a national championship and Willy Korn would've been a star "possibly" if not for the injury! Those are not the only Quarterbacks Bentley sent to D1 schools. The man knows how to develop QBs. That's not even debatable!

Reactions: SCFBjunkie
I think he’s a great playcaller and would do well for us. Just don’t think it will happen.
He%27s_right_you_know.jpg

Reactions: SCFBjunkie
ADVERTISEMENT