ADVERTISEMENT

Bobby Bentley is not qualified to be our OC

Wow.. I see you throwing shade at the father and his son. So Jake is not a real QB? Why would you say that?

He should be more mature by now and not constantly overthrow receivers. Plus he needs to run when he’s forced out of the pocket rather just keel over. I guess he’s an average sec qb

God.

Look, if I were Coach Muschamp I wouldn't give him any consideration, because he would be coaching his son at qb, and that kid isn't exactly playing like Andrew Luck.

But the past few years have had more than one HS coach becoming OC's after a relatively short time in college coaching.

Some of them have done very well, and become much wanted, some became head coaches.

Other ones didn't do so well.

So B. Bentley checks the same boxes some other guys have as far as doing well in HS coaching. He had a stint as head guy at Presbyterian (I think). His offense did pretty well, though his HC record wasn't enough to keep him on there.

So Bobby Bentley as OC? I have no idea how that would work out. In the end this sh*t is just guessing. You might make an educated guess, but until the teabag gets wet you have no idea how it is going to work.

This is a long winded way to say he is as good a candidate as anyone who hasn't ALREADY been a major college OC and has a body of work to make a judgement on.

If his son weren't our qb, I might give him a shot. But he is, and I wouldn't. If I were Muschamp.

God.

Look, if I were Coach Muschamp I wouldn't give him any consideration, because he would be coaching his son at qb, and that kid isn't exactly playing like Andrew Luck.

But the past few years have had more than one HS coach becoming OC's after a relatively short time in college coaching.

Some of them have done very well, and become much wanted, some became head coaches.

Other ones didn't do so well.

So B. Bentley checks the same boxes some other guys have as far as doing well in HS coaching. He had a stint as head guy at Presbyterian (I think). His offense did pretty well, though his HC record wasn't enough to keep him on there.

So Bobby Bentley as OC? I have no idea how that would work out. In the end this sh*t is just guessing. You might make an educated guess, but until the teabag gets wet you have no idea how it is going to work.

This is a long winded way to say he is as good a candidate as anyone who hasn't ALREADY been a major college OC and has a body of work to make a judgement on.

If his son weren't our qb, I might give him a shot. But he is, and I wouldn't. If I were Muschamp.
So you are fine giving someone that has never called a college offensive play over someone who ..even though at a lower level..has called thousands?...makes sense to me. Lol

Reactions: Brace1
if we lose 0-33 this post will look stupid, and it will be brought up, and that is fine.

Bryan McClendon has excelled at everything he has done here and done pretty well at UGA with what he was tasked to do.

I dont get why no on thinks this guy can call plays. He is 33 years old, if he can do it on the bowl game, I think the the job is his.

UGA thought enough to make him a interim coach for a bowl game which they won. I think he can call some plays and the players will play hard, he seems to be very popular with players.

Reactions: BigTomE and jbouton
So you are fine giving someone that has never called a college offensive play over someone who ..even though at a lower level..has called thousands?...makes sense to me. Lol

I am, if the boss WM who sees these guys every day thinks its the best call, the college playoff has 2 coaches that were not HC before, Smart in year 2 and Riley in yr 1.

Seems like these young coaches when talented are picking up quickly, seems like a trend

Why cant a young guy like McClendon call plays, and excel.

Was Bentley that successful at the college level calling plays? He was 6-5 and 4-8, was he calling the plays as HC? I really don't know the answer, i don't follow Blue Hose sports much, every time Elton Pollack :) is nice enough to grace us with his time and posts here is really the only time i learn something about them.

McClendon has excelled in everything given to him, that is visible to us.

I am, if the boss WM who sees these guys every day thinks its the best call, the college playoff has 2 coaches that were not HC before, Smart in year 2 and Riley in yr 1.

Seems like these young coaches when talented are picking up quickly, seems like a trend

Why cant a young guy like McClendon call plays, and excel.

Was Bentley that successful at the college level calling plays? He was 6-5 and 4-8, was he calling the plays as HC? I really don't know the answer, i don't follow Blue Hose sports much, every time Elton Pollack :) is nice enough to grace us with his time and posts here is really the only time i learn something about them.

McClendon has excelled in everything given to him, that is visible to us.
This is the way I look at it. McClendon has been the Co-OC. Consequently, you'd think he has been on at least the game-planning aspect of the position. Play-calling is simply the game-day extension of the game planning. So as far as our team, he would have the most experience and be more familiar with the offense and it's plays. That would make him the logical choice.

He learned under Malzahn at Auburn too for 1-2 years as an assistant.

I don't have the answers, just saying that's also on his resume.

We hired a bead coach to make these decisions and ultimately you have to trust in that decision.

We hired a bead coach to make these decisions and ultimately you have to trust in that decision.
Analyst.....not assistant. Never had any on-the-field coaching responsibilities.

if we lose 0-33 this post will look stupid, and it will be brought up, and that is fine.

Bryan McClendon has excelled at everything he has done here and done pretty well at UGA with what he was tasked to do.

I dont get why no on thinks this guy can call plays. He is 33 years old, if he can do it on the bowl game, I think the the job is his.

UGA thought enough to make him a interim coach for a bowl game which they won. I think he can call some plays and the players will play hard, he seems to be very popular with players.
Just like I don't get why people think Bentley can't call plays

This is the way I look at it. McClendon has been the Co-OC. Consequently, you'd think he has been on at least the game-planning aspect of the position. Play-calling is simply the game-day extension of the game planning. So as far as our team, he would have the most experience and be more familiar with the offense and it's plays. That would make him the logical choice.
Yep. Let's promote the co-oc that produced probably the worse offensive team in recent history...sounds logical. Smh

Yep. Let's promote the co-oc that produced probably the worse offensive team in recent history...sounds logical. Smh

He is a heck of a recruiter and has done everything asked very well, I dont know how much was him and how much was Roper, do you?, WM does.

BM is being courted by new staffs. Why not give him a shot and see what happens and try to keep him, maybe he kills it against Michigan, we will find out. Im a cup is half full guy.

No one is courting Bentley, why is that?

Seems perfectly logical to me.

Reactions: jbouton
This is getting ridiculous , no one except people on this board have speculated that Bentley would/ could be the OC ,
Muschamp stated today McClendon was possibly in the running , not a word about Bentley,
Can you people give up the Bentley speculation , there is nothing there

Last edited:
Some names:
Hearing muschamp may talk to Ucla Jedd Fisch and Toledo Brian Wright

Friends at PC said he didn't spend much time on campus.

Might be different here with him living in Columbia.

He is a heck of a recruiter and has done everything asked very well, I dont know how much was him and how much was Roper, do you?, WM does.

BM is being courted by new staffs. Why not give him a shot and see what happens and try to keep him, maybe he kills it against Michigan, we will find out. Im a cup is half full guy.

No one is courting Bentley, why is that?

Seems perfectly logical to me.
I agree I hope he has a great bowl game. Just amazes me that people on here are saying BM is more qualified that Bentley..that's just not the case. Ask any coach that has ever played against a Bentley offense if he's qualified. Btw where's that list of school coming after BM?

Wow.. I see you throwing shade at the father and his son. So Jake is not a real QB? Why would you say that?
why would he say dj is? we wont know that for a while....we heard that about bmac too

face it great high school coach but SEC OC hell no. We’d regress even more. Can’t wait to get a real qb next year

A few years ago, many said the same thing about Malzhan and Chad Morris. They have panned out OK. Bentley could easily do the job. There are some HS programs out there that are better coached than some college programs. Byrnes was one of them.

BM has just 3 weeks and 1 game against one of the top defenses in the country to show what he can do. Unfortunately he doesn’t have time to reinvent the wheel and if he is a legitimate candidate as Muschamp claims, it may come down to his play-calling, offensive execution, and his ability to sell Muschamp on his plan to fix the offense long-term.
If I’m Bmac, I’d at least pick Bentley’s brain with the possibility of making him co-offensive coordinater if I get the job. BM needs to use the tools he has available for now and possibly hire an up and comer as an coach

Reactions: drawplay000
I'm not saying Bobby should get the job but the guy can call plays. Had his high school team ranked number 1 in the nation. He coached his sons there without issue. There have been less talented high school coaches make it as OCs and Head coaches. Just ask Marcus Lattimore.

Both Malzahn and Morris were OCs at a non-P5 school before moving up. So there was at least some idea how they would do throughout a season.
Morris yes, pretty sure Malzahn went straight to Arky because that’s when they got Mitch Mustain from Springdale HS

Morris yes, pretty sure Malzahn went straight to Arky because that’s when they got Mitch Mustain from Springdale HS
He did for one year before getting fired. Then headed to Tulsa for a couple of years and had great success, before getting another shot at a P-5 school.

Bentley was an offensive analyst under Malzahn for at least 1 year. I’m not sure if he was elevated to a coaching position or not, but whether it is BMc or B.B., now is the time to give them their shot. I don’t think CWM would ever make B.B. his OC while his son is QB of our team, but I hope we keep B.B. in the fold. I think he is a good recruiter, and his SC roots are helpful.

Never heard that one before. I might use it sometime. With people who don't get upset about the word teabag, of course.

No dog in this fight but thought this was an interesting article in the Greenville News. Kind of makes some sense...rather see one of the young proven guys out there but in a pinch?
http://www.greenvilleonline.com/sto...mecocks-next-offensive-coordinator/935836001/
Isn't that kind of like the Knoxville paper suggesting to Florida who to hire? Perhaps they should be asking why Clemson didn't hire him as QB coach in the early 2000s and again in 2014, since he was reportedly interested in the position.

A good OC has to have instinct, know how to out guess the DC, and just be lucky sometimes and Roper had none of the above. I don't care who the new OC is get the offense crunk up.

Bentley is a real QB. Sure, he's not Connor Shaw. But he has played well at times. Hopefully he will continue to mature and improve.

Bobby Bentley could be a great OC. No one knows! Same with BMAC! Time will tell...
Not sold on Bentley. I expected great strides from him this year, but didn't see them. Meanwhile, taters QB Bryant overachieves, while they sign the Rivals #1 player in the country, and oh, he is a QB.

Reactions: OldBluJacketJr
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT