ADVERTISEMENT

Boston, Cooke named 1st team all-SEC

DarkCock

Jan 21, 2006
Boston was also named co-defensive player of the year

Rather ridiculous that Destanni Henderson didn't make either the 1st or 2nd team. I guess this was a media vote and not a coaches' vote. Her ability to push the ball in transition not only lead to fast break points, it also wore teams down. Several times we went down a halftime, only to win by +20 points. She also played 40 minutes in several games, including the game against A&M.

I'm also surprised Gary Blair didn't win coach of the year.

I don’t know how Destanni didn’t make at least second team.
I also am shocked Unique Thompson was not first team. She has shined on a bad team for two years.
I was pleasantly surprised to see Zia on 1st team. Her talent is undeniable. She is however a frustrating player for me to watch. Her confidence in her athletic ability is a two edged sword. It gets us too many empty possessions on shots that should never be taken.
Taylor is a worthy choice and gets coach of the year on improvement from last year but I would have voted for Blair

Last edited:
Yeah Destanni got robbed for the 2nd year in a row and I don't know what else Blair could do to not get the coach of the year award. Coach Taylor deserves all the praise, but losing only 1 game in a season after losing your leading scorer and x-factor deserves more recognition.

They robbed Henny again. But, Zia's 'wild' shots gets on there. S*it's ridiculous!! Hopefully she can get her flowers in the tourney like last year.

Yes, Unique should've gotten a nod (hell, just staying with Auburn all theses years should be recognized)

Last edited:
I don't agree with y'all on Henderson. She's been a disappointment. Way too many turnovers, inconsistent shooter, dribbles into trouble and just too damn careless with the ball.

I don't agree with y'all on Henderson. She's been a disappointment. Way too many turnovers, inconsistent shooter, dribbles into trouble and just too damn careless with the ball.
I think the stats show different. She does need to pull up more instead of break necking all the way to the opposite goal to get stuffed. Staley wants her to go fast and she does. Her shooting choices are better than Cooke's. Of course when no one else is scoring, she will push the issue.

Hmm..... lead the league in assists, 2:1 assist to turnover ratio, 12ppg, 5rpg as a PG! And shot 42% from 3pt
Lewis and Pointer the only PGs on 1st or 2nd each averaged 16ppg BUT Henny had better stats than either in all three shooting% categories, rebounds, assists, assist to turnover ratio.
Can you Name a better PG in the league much less two?

Hmm..... lead the league in assists, 2:1 assist to turnover ratio, 12ppg, 5rpg as a PG! And shot 42% from 3pt
Lewis and Pointer the only PGs on 1st or 2nd each averaged 16ppg BUT Henny had better stats than either in all three shooting% categories, rebounds, assists, assist to turnover ratio.
Can you Name a better PG in the league much less two?
Honestly, it seems to me that the difference at that position now and a year ago is decisive in the wrong direction. I believe that's the most salient comparison at this time for our purposes.

Honestly, it seems to me that the difference at that position now and a year ago is decisive in the wrong direction. I believe that's the most salient comparison at this time for our purposes.
I can understand your point.....

BUT a couple of points

It ain’t last year.... Ty ain’t coming back and is not eligible for all SEC

Ty was a great PG her Sr year but had some real deficits her first three years. So let’s not forget that.

The original conversation is about who should have been all SEC THIS year. Name me two PGs in the SEC that you would swap straight up for Destanni.

Pointer scores 16 ppg but is a poorer shooter than Henny on all three measurements, has more turnovers than assists, is not nearly the rebounder, is not asked to do as much on D and she was the only PG on the first team. I’ll take Henny over her everyday and twice on Sunday.

Lewis also scores 16 ppg but has worse stats on everything but ft%(a push) and has more steals. Though physically stronger she is significantly slower. Destanni is better hands down.

I can understand your point.....

BUT a couple of points

It ain’t last year.... Ty ain’t coming back and is not eligible for all SEC

Ty was a great PG her Sr year but had some real deficits her first three years. So let’s not forget that.

The original conversation is about who should have been all SEC THIS year. Name me two PGs in the SEC that you would swap straight up for Destanni.

Pointer scores 16 ppg but is a poorer shooter than Henny on all three measurements, has more turnovers than assists, is not nearly the rebounder, is not asked to do as much on D and she was the only PG on the first team. I’ll take Henny over her everyday and twice on Sunday.

Lewis also scores 16 ppg but has worse stats on everything but ft%(a push) and has more steals. Though physically stronger she is significantly slower. Destanni is better hands down.
It ain't last year. And threads tend to creep. The person who crept it toward the PG position wasn't I. Last year we had a serious shot at winning the national championship. This year we have a remote chance at best. And unless we get a serious uptick at the PG spot, nothing else is going to matter.

The discussion about PG did not creep in this thread. It was in the original post and you chose to address it. You also were the one who creeped the conversation back to last year and Ty.
Please however address the question I have now posed three times in this thread to Henny’s detractors. Name 2 better PGs in this conference?

Last edited:
Reactions: Gamekem
We're comparing Henderson to the best PG in the country last season. So yeah most players will fall short to that level play. Having said that Henderson has actually held her own with all things considered. Her assists are basically on par with Ty along with her general shooting percentage. Meanwhile Henderson's 3pt % and rebounding is noticeably better. The only real glaring decline is the turnovers and even then she's still producing at a 2/1 assists rate. Which begs the question what does any of this have to do with Henderson getting overlooked for the All SEC teams?

We're comparing Henderson to the best PG in the country last season. So yeah most players will fall short to that level play. Having said that Henderson has actually held her own with all things considered. Her assists are basically on par with Ty along with her general shooting percentage. Meanwhile Henderson's 3pt % and rebounding is noticeably better. The only real glaring decline is the turnovers and even then she's still producing at a 2/1 assists rate. Which begs the question what does any of this have to do with Henderson getting overlooked for the All SEC teams?
Well said. My guess is that those detracting will either not respond or deflect and gaslight

Kinda surprised Rickea Jackson wasn't somewhere on that list.
All her stats declined from last year. I think teams have focused more on her this year and she has a diminished supporting cast.

Also the competition at her position(2-3 position) is ferocious; Rhyne Howard, Chelsea Dungee, Rennia Davis, Zia Cooke and Jasmine Walker

Reactions: GoCocksFight2021

Ty only played 5 more minutes per game last season than Henderson. Was Henderson somehow not responsible for the all those wins last season as well? Just Ty? And what about two years go, when Harris was the starting point guard and the team lost 10 games? Was Ty not responsible for those losses? Only the wins?

Last season, Ty had two better shooters playing along side her, Kiki and Destanni, than Henderson has playing with her this season. That's the main reason the half-court offense hasn't been as good. Not much Henderson can do about it except push the ball in transition, which she does as well as anyone in the country. If anything, she's TOO unselfish. I wish she would look for her shot more.

I think the stats show different. She does need to pull up more instead of break necking all the way to the opposite goal to get stuffed. Staley wants her to go fast and she does. Her shooting choices are better than Cooke's. Of course when no one else is scoring, she will push the issue.
Well, a lot of people don't agree with you. I've watched nearly every game this year and watching our guards is maddening. Missed layups, crazy shots, dribbling into trouble, turnovers, missed free throws, bad decisions, lazy passes, inconsistent shooting and mistakes at key moments of the game. No way she should be on there.

Ty only played 5 more minutes per game last season than Henderson. Was Henderson somehow not responsible for the all those wins last season as well? Just Ty? And what about two years go, when Harris was the starting point guard and the team lost 10 games? Was Ty not responsible for those losses? Only the wins?

Last season, Ty had two better shooters playing along side her, Kiki and Destanni, than Henderson has playing with her this season. That's the main reason the half-court offense hasn't been as good. Not much Henderson can do about it except push the ball in transition, which she does as well as anyone in the country. If anything, she's TOO unselfish. I wish she would look for her shot more.
There's a dynamic that isn't entirely accounted for in terms of minutes. Ty was a difference-maker. It's a quality that separates the champions from the pretenders.

The discussion about PG did not creep in this thread. It was in the original post and you chose to address it. You also were the one who creeped the conversation back to last year and Ty.
Please however address the question I have now posed three times in this thread to Henny’s detractors. Name 2 better PGs in this conference?
It's not the question that interests me. The direction of the team is all that interests me and is touched on in the post above.

It's not the question that interests me. The direction of the team is all that interests me and is touched on in the post above.
Damn man! You can’t even own your lie that the pg discussion was not a thread creep. You hijack a thread about an SEC dis of our player and when asked three times directly to address if there are better PGs in the SEC you do exactly what I predicted you would do......deflect and gaslight.

Reactions: DarkCock
winloseortie said:
Damn man! You can’t even own your lie that the pg discussion was not a thread creep. You hijack a thread about an SEC dis of our player and when asked three times directly to address if there are better PGs in the SEC you do exactly what I predicted you would do......deflect and gaslight.
Boston, Cooke named 1st team all-SEC
Anything not this constitutes thread creep. It didn't start with me, although it could be argued that the thread originator himself started it. I responded to you in a way that suits my view of this current team's situation. That is the extent of my interest. You wanted to argue about who should have or shouldn't have been named All-SEC. I didn't choose to concern myself, other than to praise those who made it, which was the subject of the thread. That is all.

Last edited:
Anything not this constitutes thread creep. It didn't start with me, although it could be argued that the thread originator himself started it. I responded to you in a way that suits my view of this current team's situation. That is the extent of my interest. You wanted to argue about who should have or shouldn't have been named All-SEC. I didn't choose to concern myself, other than to praise those who made it, which was the subject of the thread. That is all.
Deflect, deny, self serving solipsism not rooted in reality

Let me elucidate. I wish to play Doctor. Evidently you wish to play Post Office. Best we diverge until we both wish to play Marbles.
Again self serving solipsism . You are clearly unable to be intellectually honest and will go to extreme lengths of warping reality/ gaslighting to self justify.

I am not sure if Your coupling of your unfounded arrogance and unmoored from reality thought process is amusing or pathetic

I'm going to leave this here:

I just rewatched the 2nd half and Henderson was the MVP during the most crucial part of this final. Around 3 minutes or so left in the 3rd quarter Georgia ties the game after Henderson gets fouled twice by two players (no whistle was blown) when receiving an inbound pass that leads to a turnover against her. Instead of pouting and pleading with the refs, she responds by making two baskets an setting up Beal with two good looks to the basket as well, that helped us end the 3rd quarter with a 9 point lead, in which she was responsible for 7 out 9 that helped us secure the lead.

I just rewatched the 2nd half and Henderson was the MVP during the most crucial part of this final. Around 3 minutes or so left in the 3rd quarter Georgia ties the game after Henderson gets fouled twice by two players (no whistle was blown) when receiving an inbound pass that leads to a turnover against her. Instead of pouting and pleading with the refs, she responds by making two baskets an setting up Beal with two good looks to the basket as well, that helped us end the 3rd quarter with a 9 point lead, in which she was responsible for 7 out 9 that helped us secure the lead.
I think she learned a big lesson against UCONN. She played out of control for the most part and that was not a good game for her. Since then she has been very much in control with the caveat that I did not see the A&M game. My favorite player to watch!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT