ADVERTISEMENT

Boston

viennacocks

Dec 19, 2011
Heading to Boston tonight with my three boys (11 and under). Two sox games, tour of Fenway, duck tour, whale watching tour, tea party reenactment. We'll walk the freedom trail etc. Anything else I am missing for kids outside of aquarium / museum?

We are staying in Cambridge. Any suggestions for restaurants near Fenway or in general with good, kid friendly food (burgers / pizza)?

Try and make it to Faneuil Hall at some point. It's an outdoor market place with restaurants and shopping. Many restaurants have outside seating and you can watch performers especially if you go at night. My favorite Italian restaurant there is http://www.ristorantelimoncello.com/. It is right near the Paul Revere House which is a great stop along the Freedom Trail as well (but it does cost a few bucks to get in). Also stop by Cask n' Flagon (sports bar) right outside of Fenway. Have a great time. Boston is one of my favorite cities!

Try and make it to Faneuil Hall at some point. It's an outdoor market place with restaurants and shopping. Many restaurants have outside seating and you can watch performers especially if you go at night. My favorite Italian restaurant there is http://www.ristorantelimoncello.com/. It is right near the Paul Revere House which is a great stop along the Freedom Trail as well (but it does cost a few bucks to get in). Also stop by Cask n' Flagon (sports bar) right outside of Fenway. Have a great time. Boston is one of my favorite cities!
Unless they have converted Faneuil Hall, I believe you may be referring to Quincy Market which is just a couple of blocks away.

Heading to Boston tonight with my three boys (11 and under). Two sox games, tour of Fenway, duck tour, whale watching tour, tea party reenactment. We'll walk the freedom trail etc. Anything else I am missing for kids outside of aquarium / museum?

We are staying in Cambridge. Any suggestions for restaurants near Fenway or in general with good, kid friendly food (burgers / pizza)?
Your kids will love the reenactment out in Concord. Check for times.

Boston is one of my favorite cities and Fenway is probably my favorite sports venue outside South Carolina stuff and Augusta National.

I think you're hitting a lot of good stuff though. Freedom Trail is really cool.

Since you're staying in Cambridge, I'd walk around Harvard Square and Harvard Yard. There's actually a pretty cool tour of Harvard's campus that originates right in Harvard Square at the T Stop that's led by students. Quite a bit of history on that campus in addition to the immense history in the rest of the city. Would not take Harvard Yard over the Horseshoe though!

Also- check out Felipe's Taqueria right in Harvard Square. Great kid-friendly food and really cheap.

Reactions: viennacocks

Since your staying in Cambridge a great place for burgers is Mr.Bartley right across from Harvard Square. Burgers are pretty big so 1 can easily feed two young boys.
Also in Cambridge you can take the Harvard Tour where students from Harvard are your guides.
You will go by Faneuil Hall/Quincy Market on the Freedom Trail and many eateries and shops that are a good place for souvenirs

If you like Italian food while your on the Freedom Trail you will go through the North End (Little Italy). Just about every other storefront is a restaurant or bakery. Regina's Pizzeria is the most famous place for pizza, but again there are so many pizzerias you can't go wrong.
Boston is great place to visit, Have Fun

You can also hit up Mike's Pastry in the North End for a cannoli. The place is almost always packed but it is well worth it. There may even be one located in Cambridge if memory serve me correct

Just got back from there. I grew up in the area. Some good suggestions here and some you already know. My kids loved the duck boat tour. If you like art, the best collection I've ever seen is at the Fogg Museum on Harvards campus. Every legendary artist you could name. Even the kids liked it. Very cheap.
North End for dinner for sure. Carmelina's was our favorite. Eat early or get a reservation anywhere on Hanover street. Salem street is good too. All the Paul Revere stuff is right there. Bova is the best pastry place in that area according the locals. Phenomenal. Open 24 hours and easy to get in/out. Mike Pastry is great too but little overrated and packed. Blaze Pizza a block from fenway is excellent. Next to the Boston Commons is the Boston Public Garden. Really gorgeous and they have swan boats you can ride. Favorite place to hang at night. Walking up and down Commonwealth is pretty cool. all shaded with plenty of places to sit and rest. Charles Hotel in Cambridge has a great breakfast. Take a water taxi from seaport (tea party area) over to Charlestown Navy Yard and tour the USS Constitution. Bunker Hill near there too. The Faneuil Hall are and Quincy market is cool. Uber was cheaper for 4 of us then taking the T. Surprisingly.

Have fun and come back and let us know how it was - I will be headed up there at some point this year. I need that seafood.

As a kid we went to Boston and it was real cool. NYC was scary in the 80s so for Upstate New York we chose Boston. Remember seeing Dwight Evans, Clemons, and Jim Rice. Quincey Market is a must do. It’s just one of those old cities with a lot of character. That is unless they filled it up with Targets and Panera’s.

Our hotel is right across from the T. Great modern city but the T looks and feels like something from the 70's. The squealing is almost unbearable at some stations.

That said, the T has taken us everywhere needed to go for $21 for the week for a family of 4.

You asked for food suggestions near Fenway for kids.....try the Yard House or for burgers Wahlburgers or Tasty Burger. All are a block or two from Fenway. If you like BBQ, Sweet Cheeks is also in the same area on Boylston and really good.

The Boston Garden and a stroll down Commonwealth Avenue are good suggestions. You mentioned a Boston Harbor cruise....good call....they also have the Codzilla boat that the kids would love and the New England Aquarium is also right there.

If you have time, take an early evening stroll through Beacon Hill. Its the home of the MA State House and the neighborhood around it is one of the priciest zip codes in America. Cobble stone streets, gas street lanterns and classic Colonial-era homes.

Welcome to Boston. There are more of us New England Gamecocks than you might think....and Go Sox!

..and please tell all your Clempson friends down south that you had a terrible time here!

Just be sure if you speak to locals to pronounce Worcester as Wooster.

Thank you for all the suggestions. Game this evening couldn't have been any better. I have two tribe fans and one Sox fan. I tried to stay neutral but grew up an Indian's fan. Perfect weather and great atmosphere.

My boys loved the duck tour. Our guide was the best. My oldest learned a lot about early American history last year and was really into the tour.

Whale watching was a lot of fun. We saw at least 30 whales. Unbelievable how many you see in such a short period of time.

Did the Fenway tour- must do and it didn't disappoint.

Walked the freedom trail, Beacon Hill, Boston common, Quincy market. I bet we walked 20 miles Sunday. My boys LOVED the street performers at Quincy market.

Tea party was also good and interactive.

The only disappointment was our trip to Harvard. My son really wanted to go through some of the buildings. It appeared school hasn't started. Lots of construction getting ready for move in on campus. Most buildings were locked.

Nothing special on food. Ate at Quincy market. Boys did Asian, i did chowda. Deserts were the best. At one game we got dogs and sausage. The other we went into tasty burgers.

Very fun trip. Lots for the boys to do. I will be back. If you visit, there is absolutely no reason to drive a vehicle into the city.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT